The Best Griddle Pans To Buy In 2021
If youre looking for smoky flavour and those standout chargrilled lines, then you’ll need a griddle pan. We tested some of the best griddle pans available to help you find the right one for your kitchen.;;
There is a big difference between charring and burning food. Chargrilling enhances an ingredients;flavour by caramelising its sugars and bringing a smoky taste to every bite. When food is burnt, these sugars carbonise and the taste becomes overwhelmingly bitter. Nobody wants to eat charcoal.
Finding the magic balance between these two states creates a great complexity of flavour. Its all about those chargrilled lines, so getting the right griddle pan is important.
We tested some of the best griddle pans available ranging in price, size, and specs to help you find the right one for your kitchen.
Ingredients we used for testing;included thick strips of chicken in a yoghurt tikka dressing;;thickly sliced halloumi; and rounds of aubergine.
Wed usually recommend brushing your ingredients with a lick of oil, just to eliminate any risk of them sticking, but we fried some of ours dry to see how well;each pan fared in a non-stick test. Read our griddle pan reviews to see what we found.
For more unbiased;expert buyers guides, visit our;reviews;section;to find 200+ round-ups of everything from;best slow cookers;and best dishwashers to best food processors.
Tower Cerastone Grill Pan
Best cheap;grill pan;
- Not suitable for oven or grill use
Towers grill pan has a Cerastone ceramic coating which gives it really effective non-stick qualities. The smallest layer of oil or butter will suffice when using this pan for long periods of time but we chose not to use any and our ingredients could be flipped and maneuvered without any problems.
The pan is limited in;that it cant be used in the oven or under the grill. If you dont mind;transferring ingredients into an alternative dish for further cooking in the oven, however, then this pan will give good charring prior to that. A soft-touch silicone handle makes lifting and moving this pan nice and easy, plus, being small, its also lightweight.
Hand washing will prolong the life of the non-stick, but if;convenience is your top priority, this grill pan can be put in the dishwasher. Its a great one for getting started with grilling.
Best Nonstick: Anolon Advanced Deep Square Grill Pan
Some nonstick grill pans do not achieve those coveted grill marks, but if Instagram-worthy seared stripes are your goal, the Anolon Advanced 11-inch Square Grill Pan will not disappoint. It heats quickly and uniformly, and the rounded ridges, which are a little higher than some of the other pans we tested, sear perfect lines into eggplant and zucchini and cook everything uniformly, with no noticeable hot spots or cool spots.;
The pan is deeper than other grill pans almost two inches deep which might cut down on splattering when you’re grilling fatty foods like steaks or hamburgers. It also has pour spouts on either side. The handle, which has a silicone insert, is comfortable to grip and stays cool to the touch. This pan is made of hard-anodized aluminum with a durable, chip- and scratch-resistant nonstick coating. The food we tested released from the pan easily with no issues whatsoever, and it was easy to clean as well, which is a boon since it’s not dishwasher safe. The grill pan is a good size for holding four to five burgers or small chicken breasts; the ridges extend almost to the edge of the pan, making the whole cooking surface usable. The pan is oven safe up to 400 degrees F, and can be used on gas, electric, and glass or ceramic cooktops.;
Buy it: $40; , anolon.com, or bedbathandbeyond.com
Recommended Reading: Do Traeger Grills Need Electricity
Prestige Stone Quartz Square Grill Pan
Best value griddle pan
- Big pan to store
The Prestige offers the same size and capacity to the Valeria pan except the sides on this option rise up higher useful for preventing splashes if what youre cooking releases a lot of juices.
We were impressed with the practicality of this pan. It was so easy to use. The ridging was wider than others so you dont get dainty charred lines, but those achieved were even and well-defined. All the ingredients were evenly cooked and did not stick to the pans PFOA-free coating.
Deep grooving prevented any ingredients from sitting in their own juices which is what you want for achieving good charring. There are also pouring lips on either side of the pan for draining off excess juices or fat.
The versatility of it being both dishwasher and oven safe up to 180 degrees / gas;4 means you have real choice over what you can cook in this grill pan. But we found that any residue was easily wiped off with warm water which would not only save space in the dishwasher but prolong the life of the pan. A lifetime guarantee also gives;peace of mind.
Greenpan Premiere Ceramic Nonstick Outdoor/indoor Square Grill Pan
Outdoor grilling is great, but when you’re cooking something delicate like a fish fillet, or small, like asparagus, it can be a fraught proposition. Enter GreenPan’s Outdoor/Indoor Square Grill Pan, which is engineered to be used both indoors on the stove or in the oven, as well as on an outdoor gas grill, up to 600 degrees F.;
The hard-anodized, 11-inch square pan has low, rounded grill ridges and the interior is coated with a very slick, shiny ceramic nonstick coating that’s durable enough to withstand metal utensils. Stainless-steel loop handles are riveted onto the body, with a design that’s flush on the interior to prevent food residue from collecting in crevices. On a burner, the grill pan heats quickly, with a little uneven heat over the heat source. Grill marks are not as sharply defined as on grill pans with less-rounded ridges, and the slippery finish can cause food to skitter out of reach as you’re trying to flip it but at least it doesn’t stick! Those who hate doing dishes will love how easy this pan is to clean it practically wipes clean with a single swipe of a sponge.
Buy it: $90; williams-sonoma.com
Don’t Miss: How To Keep Rats Away From Grill
Top Tips For Griddling
Food editor Barney Desmazery;gives us his top tips for using your griddle pan
- The golden rule of griddling is to oil the food, not the pan. Theres no point in adding oil to the pan as itll drain away between the ridges.
- To clean non-stick griddles, leave them to cool then wash in soapy water ;dont use anything too abrasive.
- Avoid griddling anythig with a thick, paste-like marinade as itll just stick to the pan and burn. Oil or citrus-based marinades are fine, just drain them first.
- The key to stopping food from sticking to cast-iron griddle pans is to make sure they are well-marked before trying to lift them or turn them. The char marks form a layer between the pan and food that will mean it should come away from the pan easily. To get a criss-cross pattern, turn your food 90 degrees once initially marked and to get a diamond pattern turn it about 50 degrees.
- A lot of griddle pans are;ovenproof, which is really useful if youre cooking things like thick pork chops. Make sure the pan is really hot when you place it in the oven so it carries on marking the food while it roasts.
Grill Pan Reviews The Best 5 Grill Pans For Your Kitchen
Before we rated each grill pan, we wanted you to know how we compared the pans listed below. We thoroughly tested each grill pan against the following criteria:
- Non-stickability It will come as no surprise that some griddle pans have better non-stick coatings than others. We tested the stickiness of the griddle pan by cooking some cheddar cheese which latches onto some of the pans.
- Heat conduction We tested how fast a griddle pan will heat up.
- Heat retention We tested how long the pan would stay hot when it was off the stove. This ranged from 5 minutes to even 15 minutes on some pans.
- Grade of ridges and grill lines This is what you purchased the grill pan for and to our surprise there were lots of different qualities of ridges and grill lines. We found that high and sharply defined lines got better grill lines than dull and rounded ridges.
- Drainage We looked for moats and drains on the side to capture the juices from cooking.
- Weight We looked at a variety of different grill pan weights. Some were a lot heavier than others but we generally found that heat conduction and retention correlated to the weight of the pan.
Read Also: Can I Sell My Gold Grill
Grill Pans & Griddles
Those who do not want to do without grilled meat in winter can fall back on a grill pan or griddle. As on a grill, the food is grilled at a high temperature. Because the pan is made of cast iron, the heat is optimally transferred. Also, the grooving of the bottom gives the food the typical grain of a grill.
Best Buy Customers Often Prefer The Following Products When Searching For Grill Pan
Browse the top-ranked list of Grill Pan below along with associated reviews and opinions.
Browse the top-ranked list of Grill Pan below along with associated reviews and opinions.
Be the first to write a review
Proudly made in France, Staub has been the benchmark for premium cast iron cookware since 1974.The Folding Grill Pan lets you enjoy flame-grilled flavors in the comfort of your kitchen. Its collapsible handle can be removed for oven use or folded when storing. Lighter than a cast iron handle, the folding grill handle is made from stainless steel and covered in silicone for a comfortable grip and easy maneuvering.The pan’s raised sides prevent juices from spilling while deep interior ridges impart picture-perfect grill marks. They also encourage healthier cooking, by elevating food so that it doesn’t cook in its excess fat.The signature textured black matte surface boasts exceptional browning and searing while ensuring food doesn’t stick. Savor succulent steaks, juicy burgers, and stellar salmon. Grilling has never been so effortless.
Read Also: How To Grill Burgers On Propane Grill
New Korean Bbq Grill Stovetop Barbecue Table Top Bbq Indoor Barbecue Grill Pan
|$53.93+ $17.58 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit.Details
* We will collect the Import Fees Deposit at the time of your purchase and manage the customs process from there.Learn more
** The total may change depending on the chosen shipping option and items in cart during checkout.
|Item dimensions L x W x H||33.8 x 5.8 x 34 centimeters|
Grill Pan Ideas Grill Pan Pork Chop Heaven
Pork is one of our;favorite dishes;to use with a grill pan. The lines look amazing and there are lots of recipes to choose from including Greek-style pork chops and barbecued pork chops.
To get the amazing lines on pork chop, make sure you let the pork chop;grill on one side for 2-3 minutes, then turn 90 degrees and let it grill for another 2-3 minutes.
Don’t Miss: How Do I Clean My Grill Grates
Grill Pan Ideas How About Some Pan Grilled Salmon
A grill pan definitely adds a;rustic look to fish. They make wonderful lines and bring out the fresh flavor of fish. Grilling fish is great on a grill pan and there are lots of recipes for fish grilling. Delicious recipes include:
- Grilled ahi-tuna salad
- Catfish sandwiches with creole mayonnaise
- Pan-grilled salmon with red pepper salsa
- Pan-grilled snapper with orzo pasta salad
- Grilled grouper with browned butter-orange couscous
What We Looked For In Our Griddle Pan Reviews
Heat conduction: A pan that gets super hot, super quickly.
Heat retention: One which doesnt lose any of its heat during cooking.
Non-stickability: While its important to oil your ingredients well to avoid them sticking, regardless of your pan, some griddles have better non-stick coatings than others. As well as steak, we tested halloumi cheese, which has a pesky habit of latching to pans like a limpet, making it a good gauge for a pans non-stick credentials.
Grade of ridge: To get the perfect striped finish on your food, ridges should be high and sharply defined.
Drainage: We looked for additional drainage channels, such as sloped sides or moats.
Weight: Not everyone has the wrist strength to haul around heavy griddles, so we looked for a range of pans, including lightweight versions that worked just as effectively as their heftier counterparts.
Oven-proof: A grill that can go from hob to oven gives you great flexibility over what you can cook in it.
Dishwasher friendly: purely for convenience, its sometimes nice to pop a dirty pan straight into the dishwasher and let the machine do the rest.
Read Also: How To Grill Boneless Chicken Breast
Best Round: Greenpan Chatham Ceramic Nonstick Round Grill Pan
The GreenPan Chatham 11-inch Round Grill Pan is a good option for those who want the convenience of nonstick but without the worry of chemical coating. GreenPan uses a durable ceramic-based nonstick coating that’s free of PFAS, PFOA, lead, and cadmium. With this pan, food does not stick at all, even when you’re using very little oil. However, it doesn’t achieve the same distinct grill marks than some of the other pans we tested, and seemed to cook hotter in some parts of the pan than in others. It’s also better suited for smaller portions of food, since the grill ridges only cover about nine inches in diameter, enough room for four small burgers or two chicken breasts. Despite its nonstick coating, the pan can be aggravating to clean: the light grey surface, although attractive, shows every little speck of residue, and it’s hard to clean the crevices on either side of the high ridges.;
Buy it: $48; or walmart.com
What Is A Grill Pan
A;grill pan;is sometimes referred to as a;griddle pan. Both are the same and sometimes you will also see the name;broiler pan;come up throughout the US and Canada. With respect to all 3 in this article;they refer to the same grill;pan.
Basically, a grill pan is a pan that has;raised edges with grill lines;spaced around 1 to 2 centimeters apart. The grill lines are raised usually 0.5 centimeters high which allow for the juices from the food youre cooking to drip down.
Most of the common grill pans these days come with a;non-stick surface.;
However, there are some grill pans that are made of other materials as well. We will detail these in the sections further below.
Also Check: Why Are Evo Grills So Expensive
Le Creuset Signature Cast Iron Grillit
Most iconic grill pan
Le Creuset is known for its classic, hard wearing designs and the Signature Cast Iron Grillit is built to last.
Add a light layer of oil to the pan to heat before placing ingredients onto the ridging to help build the pans non-stick surface. The more you use this grill the better its natural patina will become to help enhance its searing capabilities.
Once heated up to temperature, you can seal meat and veg quickly to lock in flavour and moisture whilst also giving slices those iconic griddle marks. The Grillit is heat resistant up to 250 degrees making it a versatile option if youd like a pan you can move from;stove top to oven or BBQ.
Being cast iron, this grill pan is a weighty piece of kit and quite difficult to lift by its short handle alone when full. The additional handle on its far side makes moving the pan far easier.
What Types Of Food Do Grill Pans Love
While the possibilities are endless for grill pan foods, we felt we should;highlight a few foods;that are a perfect marriage with the grill pan.
Even if you dont cook these foods regularly, its a good enough reason to start cooking them more frequently because how;beautiful the finished look is and how easy it is. Below are some foods that you might not of thought of that work well with a grill pan.
- Shrimp Shrimps are a delicate type of food but can definitely handle the heat. To get best results, use jumbo shrimp. Together with the grill marks, they look absolutely mean. Try making a chipotle-rubbed shrimp taco salad.
- Lamb Lamb is one of those dishes that pan grills make a mark on. Try making peach spiced lamb chops or grilling your favorite rack of lamb.
- Vegetables Try grilling some jalapenos to make a goat cheese-stuffed jalapenos with Ranchero Sauce. Or better yet, try your hands on grilled mushrooms, asparagus and carrots. Also, you can try thick sliced vegetables such as eggplant and zucchini.
- Sandwhiches A grill pan is a great addition for making sandwiches including a panini magherita, tangy turkey burgers, grilled tofu, and bacon and avocado sandwiches.
We thought that they would add flavor and variety into your everyday meals. Take a look at these;recipes for inspiration and fun with your grill pan.
Below are additional;great foods and cooking ideas that can be made with a grill pan. We hope you love cooking with the grill pan as much as we do.
You May Like: What Is The Best Gas Grille
The Different Types Of Stove And Cooktops For Grill Pans
There are lot of grill pans available on the market but which one is right for your stove? We have gathered all the information for you to make your buying decision easier than ever. The three types of stove and cooktops we look at are:
1. Induction cooktops; There are a growing number of induction cooktops in the market because of their increased speed to heat pots and pans. We have listed out the;best induction cookware sets on the market today. We highly recommend cast iron grill pans for induction cooktops. However, normal cast iron scratches the surface of the induction cooktop. In order to prevent this from happening, we recommend buying an enamel induction grill pan. Enameled cast iron is a layer that coats the cast iron to prevent it from scratching.
2. Electric stoves ;On an electric stove we recommend that you stay away from cast iron pans. The reason is because cast iron is a very solid and heavy that it will take a long time for it to heat up. Generally electric stoves heat less quickly.
3. Glass top stoves Since glass top stoves are prone to scratches, its best to avoid grill pans made from glass, ceramic or cast iron which can scratch the surface. Even aluminum foil can mar the glass top.
Its best to find out which stove and cooktop your kitchen has before deciding on a grill pan. Keep in mind that its cheaper to buy a new pan than replace your cooktop!