Planked New York Strip Steak And Vegetables
Planking is a technique for grilling that lends a smoky flavor to the food by cooking the food inside the grill on top of cedar planks.
- 1 large zucchini, cut into chunks
- 1 large yellow squash, cut into chunks
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 small tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 4 small red potatoes, cut into small wedges
- Salt and pepper to taste
A New York Strip Can Handle Being Grilled In The Medium To Well Done Range Because Of The Fat Content
When grilling a NY strip steak we will follow all the same basic steps as grilling any higher end cut of beef. While using a slightly lower heat and keeping and eye out for flare ups caused by the melting fat from the edge.
Step 1: Remove the strip steaks from refrigeration at least 1 hour before grilling and season to taste. For almost any steak we will only season with either salt and pepper or Lawreys seasoning salt. In either case use just a light dusting that covers the entire steak. If you feel like you must cover your meat while out of the fridge, set a paper towel over the top. Over this hour not only will the steak be reaching room temperature it will be breaking down and absorbing your seasoning.
Step 2: Preheat your grill to a medium high heat, when grilling with charcoal have multiple heat zones available. We use a lower heat then normal here to help slow down the cooking process. If using a gas grill you may preheat to high to get better grill marks, just turn down the heat before the steaks hit your grates.
Step 3: Grill a NY strip steak directly over the flames for 2 to 4 minutes, depending on thickness. Until they no longer stick the grill grates. If you only used dry seasonings they will release on there own when they are ready. If you are cooking a thin cut strip and it takes more then 3 minutes to release from the grates jump to step 5 and check your temperature.
Is New York Strip Steak Healthy
New York Strip Steak is a leaner cut of beef with a high amount of protein, amino acids, iron, and zinc.; Here are some health benefits of steak: ;
- Protein:; steak is a powerful source of protein to fuel your body. It is excellent for helping to build muscle and for maintaining muscle mass.; Even fit individuals can suffer muscle atrophy if they do not consume enough protein which contains amino acids .; Protein can also help repair muscles from wear and tear and to relieve muscle aches.
- Amino acids:; steak also contains the dietary amino acid called beta-alanine, which helps form a dipeptide called carnosine, which is crucial to support physical activity.; Healthy levels of carnosine reduce fatigue and improves muscle performance, endurance and precision during physical activity.
- Iron:;;steak contains high levels of iron which is absorbed more quickly than iron found in supplements and even some vegetables.; Iron is needed to carry oxygen to from the lungs to all parts of the;body.; Your;body;also needs iron to make some hormones and keep your hair, skin and nails healthy.; If you do not have enough iron, you wont have healthy oxygen circulation, which will cause fatigue and grogginess.
- Zinc:;;A; serving of beef;contains 4.8 mg of;zinc, which is 44% of the Daily Value.; Zinc is vital for a healthy immune system, correctly synthesizing DNA, and healing wounds.
You May Like: How To Clean Old Grill Grates
How To Store And Reheat Ny Strip Steak
- Storage:;;let steak cool to room temperature then transfer to an airtight container.; Store in the refrigerator for up to five days.
- Microwave:;its best to slice the steak before reheating so it heats evenly.; Transfer sliced steak to a microwave safe plate. Microwave for 30 seconds then at 15 second intervals as needed.
- Skillet:;warm sliced steak in a skillet with a drizzle of oil or a slab of butter over medium heat, stirring often until warmed through.
- Oven:;transfer steak to a baking sheet, cover with foil and reheat at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes or just until warmed through.
What Is A New York Strip Steak
New York strip steaks are cut from the short loin section of a steer, and typically this section will only yield a handful of strip steaks. These medium-textured, evenly marbled steaks offer a more robust beefy flavor. Popularized in New York steaks houses, strip steaks continue to be a favorite among steak lovers. Other names for this steak include the club steak, strip loin steak, and the Kansas City strip steak.
Also Check: Should The Grill Be Open Or Closed
By Step Grilling Instructions
- Place the steak over direct heat for 3 min.
- Flip the steak over for another 3 min of direct heat.
- Remove the steak from direct heat and place it in indirect heat for 3 min.
- Flip the steak over for another 3 min of indirect heat.
- Continue over indirect heat until you have reached your desired internal temperature
New York Steaks With Blue Cheese Butter
Recipefrom Weber’s Real Grilling by Jamie Purviance
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 ouncescrumbled blue cheese
- ¼ teaspoongranulated garlic
- ¼ teaspoonfreshly ground black pepper
Recommended Reading: Why Are Evo Grills So Expensive
New York Strip Steak With Garlic Butter
This New York strip steak is seared steak thats cooked to golden brown, then topped with a garlic and herb butter. An easy dinner recipe that tastes like it came from a steakhouse, but can be made in the comfort of your own home.
Storage & Reheating Tips
SERVE: Once the steaks are grilled, tent them with foil for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. You can keep the steaks out for about an hour before they need to be covered and refrigerated.
STORE: Keep leftovers in a covered container for 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
FREEZE: Wrap the steak in two layers of plastic wrap and foil. Then place it in a freezer-safe Ziploc bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw the steak and then follow the reheating directions below.
REHEAT: To reheat cooked steak, place the steak on a wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet. Place in a 250-degree oven for about 20-30, or until the internal temperature reaches 100-110 degrees F.
Recommended Reading: How Do You Clean Gas Grill Grates
New York Strip Steak Recipe Variations
- Scale the ingredients up or down depending on how many people you plan to serve. You can easily cook twice as many steaks, or cut it back to just 1 pound of meat.
- Seasoning: we love the simple combination of herbs and spices in our all-purpose “house seasoning,” but you can substitute with any seasoning blend of your choice. Pick your favorite steak seasoning blend, or just use a good amount of kosher salt, freshly-ground black pepper and garlic powder.
- Indoor Grilling: if you don’t have access to an outdoor grill, you can grill these steaks on the stovetop by using an indoor grill pan. Just make sure that the grill pan is preheated really well over high heat so that you can achieve that great sear on the outside.
Cooking Thinner Steaks On The Grill
You can grill a steak of any thickness successfully, but there is a sweet spot of thickness.; Steaks that are too thin will probably not get those beautiful pronounced grill marks by the time the interior is cooked to your liking.; If you are cooking thinner steaks on the grill, 1-inch or thinner, only flip them once so that the outside can sear up before the steaks overcook. Keep the heat fairly high so the outside has a chance to sear and caramelize before the inside gets too well done.
Also Check: Do Traeger Grills Need Electricity
Ny Strip With 5 Minute Marinade & Bruschetta Salad
- 2eaButcherBox NY Strip Steaks
- ½cextra virgin olive oil
- 2TbspItalian seasoning
- ½tspchili flakesoptional
- 1ccherry tomatoeshalved
- ½ smallred onionsmall dice
- 1cmini fresh mozzarella ballsstrained
- ½ccroutonsomit from recipe for Gluten Free or Keto version
- 1Tbspfresh basilchopped
- 1Tbspfresh oreganochopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bring steaks to room temperature and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix all marinade ingredients. Pour ¼ c over steaks and let them sit at room temp for 5 minutes.
- Mix all salad ingredients in a large salad bowl, and dress with remaining marinade.
- Preheat cast-iron skillet. Once skillet is hot, sear steaks on both sides for 2-3 minutes per side or until a nice crust forms.
- Place pan in oven for 5 more minutes, or until thermometer inserted in thickest part of steak reads 120°F.
- Let steaks rest for at least 8 minutes before slicing. Serve alongside salad and enjoy!
Tips For The Perfect New York Strip
- I recommend using a heavy pan such as a cast iron or an enameled pan to get a nice crust on your steak.
- While I really like the flavor of the garlic and the thyme with the meat, you can use other herbs such as rosemary, sage, or add a sprinkle of fresh parsley or basil at the end of the cooking time.
- I recommend serving your steak immediately. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can reheat your meat on the stove top or in the microwave, just be careful not to overcook it.
- Its best to use a neutral flavored oil with a high smoke point to get a nice crust on your meat. I typically use canola oil, but other good options include corn oil, grapeseed oil, safflower oil and peanut oil.
- Pair your steak with a variety of side dishes for a memorable meal. I like to serve my filet with crockpot mashed potatoes and roasted green beans.
You May Like: How To Care For Cast Iron Grill Pan
Grades Of New York Strip Steaks
A Wagyu Strip Steak is gonna be the best quality but its also the most expensive by a lot. Prime is also a fantastic premium quality that’s a bit more affordable and available locally.
After that we move dow to Choice and then Select. Both are still good steaks but they will be less tender then Wagyu or Prime New York Strip Steaks.
My best recommendation is buy the best steak you can afford. if its just a Tuesday night select or choice will due just fine but if its a special occasion or you want to impress you should treat yourself to a premium steak every once in a while.
What Is Strip Steak
A strip steak is cut from the short loin of the cow. This muscle doesnt do too much work, making the strip steak a rather tender cut of meat. Its not quite as tender as the nearby tenderloin, but its still a great option for a nice, typically boneless steak that cooks evenly and quickly with a great beef flavor and nice chew.
Strip steaks have many names, including Kansas-city steak, New York strip steak, top loin, and a hotel-style steak. No matter what you call them, they are delicious and tender and a popular restaurant steak. Strip steaks are best when they are well-marbled with nice, white fat weaving through the muscle of the steak.
Also Check: How Do I Grill Chicken
How To Get Perfect Crosshatch Grill Marks
First, make sure you have cleaned the grill well.; Place the steaks on the grill on the diagonal, at about a 45 degree angle.; Grill for about 4 minutes, pressing on the steak gently with a spatula occasionally.; Rotate the steaks a quarter turn so the angle of the steaks on the grill is about 45 degrees in the other direction.; You are looking to create a diamond patterns with the grill marks.;;
Flip the steaks and grill the steaks the same way, at a 45 degree angle to the grill bars, then after a few minutes turning the steaks another quarter turn so that the grill marks form the same diamond crosshatch pattern on the other side.;;
How Long Will Strip Steak Last
You can keep an uncooked strip steak wrapped in its original packaging in the fridge for 4 or 5 days if youve purchased it from a place with high turnover and fresh meat .; If you plan to freeze the steaks, remove them from their packaging the day you buy them, then wrap them well in plastic wrap, slide the wrapped steaks into freezer proof zipper top bags, press out any excess air, then seal and freeze for up to 9 months.; Make sure to label the package with the name and date.
Leftover cooked steak can be eaten within 4 days, as long as it was cooked when it was quite fresh.
Don’t Miss: How To Convert Gas Grill To Natural Gas
Is New York Strip A Good Steak
Yes!; New York Strip is one of my all-time favorite cuts of beef, sizzling hot off the grill or skillet. It boasts the magical combination of big beefy flavor and swoon-worthy tenderness without having to wade through inedible fat. ;Its the quintessence of minimal effort, maximum reward. Its hard to go wrong with a Strip Steak, when all it needs is simple seasonings and a hot sear to achieve that crisp, caramelized crust and pink, juicy medium-rare center.; Here is what makes NY Strip so good:
For The Compound Butter:
The harissa compound butter melts over the hot Strip Steak and drenches each bite with buttery, juicy, smoky, spicy goodness.; For the butter you will need:
- Butter:;use unsalted butter so you can salt to taste. You dont want to ruin your NY Steak by making it too salty!;
- Harissa paste:; is a hot chili paste made from spicy red chilies and often includes garlic, cumin, coriander, and caraway seeds.;It is spicy, smoky, a bit tangy and earthy with more deep, complex flavor than just chili paste. ;
- Where to buy harissa:; your grocery store may or may not carry harissa. harissa chicken recipe.
- Lemon zest:; brightens the butter and cuts through the heat.
- Mint:; its not the end of the world if you dont add it, but you will love the subtly sweet;taste;and cool sensation paired with the earthy cumin.
- Chives:;are meant for steak!; They taste like mild onion with a slight garlicky note but they are actually classified as an herb verses an onion.; When purchasing chives, look for plump green stems without brown spots or wilting
You May Like: How To Grill Ribeye Steak
How To Cook The Perfect New York Strip Steak At Home
The secret to making a great New York strip steak at home is to start with the best quality ingredients you can find especially when it comes to the cut-off meat itself. If you have a local butcher, buy from them instead of the supermarket and benefit from their expert advice. Otherwise, you want to look out for a short loin steak thats bright red and at least 1 ½ inches thick .
Youll need to season the steak at least 30 minutes before you start grilling. Give them a liberal sprinkling of coarse salt on both sides and allow them to sit at room temperature for a short while.
At this point, youll also want to decide whether youre using compound butter, as youll need to prepare it before you start grilling. This step is optional but will elevate your strip steak to another level. Once you start doing it, we can assure you that you wont go back.
If you dont know what compound butter is, its essentially just a butter thats had other flavours added to it. You can find out more about making flavoured butter by clicking here. And if youre ready to boost your steak life but dont know which compound butter recipe to start with, we can recommend trying this sage compound butter.
Anyway, using the compound butter is quite simple. Youre going to rest the cooked steaks on it later, so get it ready now by spreading some on a large plate or serving platter.
Once thats done, slice the steak, sprinkle it with black pepper, and serve.
You May Also Like