How To Clean The Outside Of Your Grill
Wipe the outside of the grill lid with a towel and cleaner, says Kolman. If you have a porcelain-coated lid, use a glass cleaner and paper towel. If you have a stainless steel lid, youll need more specialized materials. Some paper towels have bits of cardboard in them and these can scratch the surface of stainless steel, Kolman explains. Instead, use a microfiber towel, special stainless steel cleaner and buff with the grain of the stainless.
Do the same with your side tables. If they are stainless steel, use a microfiber towel and stainless steel cleaner. If your tables are made of thermoset plastic, use a mild dish detergent and warm water instead, recommends Kolman.
And one word of advice with the cleaner: Be patient, says Kolman. Let the cleaner sit for 5 to 10 minutes . That will make the cleaning process much easier.
Get Fired Uplets Do This
Once you have the necessary tools, its time to open up your grill and marvel at the disgusting state you left it in. We got our hands on a particularly neglected grill for this demonstration hopefully yours looks a little better.
If your grill runs on gas, make sure youve turned its fuel supply off at the sourcethat little knob should always be shut when your grill is not in useand survey the damage.
1. Remove the grill grates, along with any heat-dissipating panels and other easily removable parts. Weber grills often have a set of flavorizer bars above the burners that youll want to remove, for example. These parts may have a decent amount of rust, but as long as they dont come in direct contact with food, thats okay. Well still give them a good clean, but you arent likely to get them back to their original steel shine. As long as the burners and bars do not have holes or pitted areas, these parts will work just fine, Kolman says. Issues occur when they are pitted, have holes and are breaking apart.
2. Put some of your dish detergent in a large bucket and fill it with warm water. Toss in the grates, heat panels, and flavorizer bars and let them soak for a few minutes. If your grates are made of bare cast-iron instead of stainless steel, you dont want to soak themit can ruin the seasoning. Leave them aside for now.
Whitson GordonWhitson Gordon
Weber Grill Side Tables
Follow the same method explained above to clean the side tables. If the side tables are made of stainless steel, use a stainless steel cleaner and a microfiber towel. For thermoset plastic side tables, use a cloth and mild soapy water.
When using a cleaner, have patience and allow the cleaner to sit for 5 to 10 minutes to do its job before you go in with a brush or something else to scrub.
Weber Cast Iron Grill Grates
Cast iron grill grates require special care. Avoid using hard steel brushes on these. To keep the grates from rusting, grease them thoroughly with neutral cooking oil on both sides. Let the grates cool down slightly before cleaning. When they are still warm, brush the grates down with a grill brush to remove food residue or particles.
Then remove the grates from the grill and clean thoroughly with soapy water and a soft sponge or brush then rinse and dry before putting them back in. It is important to make sure that the sponge or brush is soft and would not scratch the cast iron.
Weber Porcelain Grill Grates
The most effective tool for porcelain grates is a round brush they can get in the nooks and crannies of the grates. Run the grill brush at an angle across the grates to remove food chunks and residue then flip the grate and repeat. For stubborn stains, dip the grill brush in water. That makes it easier to remove them.
Use brushes made of brass bristles because they are softer, and therefore, less harsh on the porcelain.
Weber Grill Cook Box
Recommended Reading: How Long Does It Take To Grill Lobster Tails
Weber Cast Iron Grate Seasoning
When seasoning an iron grate, you have to follow safety instructions provided by the manufacturer. One of these safety instructions is to use mitts to protect your hands while youâre brushing a hot cooking grate.
Your goal is a rust-resistant, non-stick surface. Seasoning means a procedure using oil to coat seal the pores in cast iron cookware.
- First is to rinse the grates. This is must be done to remove the dust and other residue. Afterwards, you may dry it with a towel.
- Second is to heat the grates for a few minutes, around 15. The suggested temperature ranges from 150-200-degree Fahrenheit.
- Third is to rub a thin coat of flaxseed oil on the grill grates. Spread the oil all throughout the sides of the grate. Use a spray that doesnât contain lecithin, so that sticky buildup will be prevented.
- Fourth is to put the grates back in the oven. Set to the highest baking temperature that your oven would allow when youâve placed the grate back inside. Turn the oven off after a while. Allow two hours for the grates to cool down. Repeat the process for five more times to seal the cast iron.
Prepare Everything You Need For Cleaning
First, make sure that you have everything necessary to clean your gas grill:
I recommend getting some Weber stainless steel wire brushes:
- Large 3-Sided Brush: Great for cleaning large surfaces.
- Detailing Brush: Best option for cleaning between the grates and other hard-to-reach areas.
You May Like: What Is The Best Pit Boss Pellet Grill
Are Grill Grates Worth The Money
But in my humble opinion I think the benefits make it worth the price and since the GrillGrates are made out of hard anodized aluminum they would not rust and should last longer. You have the option to install them on top of your existing grates or you can replace your old ones altogether which is what I did.
What Happens When You Dont Clean Your Grill
So I did a test with my 8-year old Weber Q3200 grill. I was using it almost every day and didnt clean it for about 3 months.
I know what youre thinking, I was just too lazy to clean it.
No, believe it or not, this was purely for testing purposes!
There was so much burnt food and grease inside the cook box that one time the whole grill started burning when I was preheating it.
I immediately turned off the gas and kept the lid closed until the fire went off. But this is definitely a safety risk and your food will also get ruined.
So its best to follow this guide and keep your grill clean!
Also Check: Can You Cook Frozen Fries On The Grill
Cleaning The Outside Of Your Grill
The outside of your grill may include stainless steel, porcelain-enameled, and plastic surfaces. Weber recommends the following methods based on the surface type.
CLEANING STAINLESS STEEL SURFACES
Clean stainless steel using a non-toxic, non-abrasive stainless steel cleaner or polish designed for use on outdoor products and grills. Use a microfiber cloth to clean in the direction of the grain of the stainless steel. Do not use paper towels.
Note: Do not risk scratching your stainless steel with abrasive pastes.Pastes do not clean or polish. They will change the color of the metal byremoving the top chromium oxide film coating.
CLEANING PORCELAIN-ENAMELED SURFACES
Clean painted, porcelain-enameled and plastic components with Weber Enamel Cleaner and a soft cloth. After wiping down the surfaces, rinse and dry thoroughly.
CLEANING THE OUTSIDE OF GRILLS THAT ARE IN UNIQUE ENVIRONMENTS
If your grill is subject to a particularly harsh environment, you will want to clean the external surfaces more often. Acid rain, swimming pool chemicals, and salt water can cause surface rusting to appear. Wipe down the outside of your grill with warm soapy water. Follow up with a rinse and thorough drying. Additionally, you may want to apply a stainless steel cleaner weekly to prevent surface rust.
Other Cleaning Products For Your Grill Maintenance
Besides the top quality product that comes with a long warranty, you can also buy a range of different cleaning tools and chemicals from the company. Weber has everything on offer to help you keep your grill in a top-notch condition.
You can choose any of their cleaning products and tools. And if it is a matter of repair and replacement, then Weber has got you covered in that area as well. No matter which type of grill you own, a charcoal grill, a gas, or an electric unit, you will find all the cleaning products and replacement parts from Weber.
You May Like: Best Way To Clean Char Broil Infrared Grill
How To Clean Grill Grates
You dont have to clean every part of yourgrill every time, but you should always clean the grate. Food, grease and watercan build up on it quickly, causing corrosion in some cases. Steel grates canbe particularly vulnerable to damage as their coating wears off, but evenceramic-coated high-quality cast iron grill grates can be damaged byimproper handling, causing the coating to chip, and making the whole gratesusceptible to rust. Frequent cleaning will help ensure that it has a longlife, and keep your food tasting great, every time.
Before you clean your grill, its a good ideato check the manufacturers recommendation for which brush to use. Stainlesssteel and uncoated cast iron grates generally wont be damaged by a wire brush,but any grill grate that is porcelain coated may be vulnerable. If youre unsurewhether your grill might be damaged, use a nylon grill brush rather than asteel one. It may take a bit more elbow grease, but youll still be able to getyour grill sparkling clean.
Not quite sure how to clean your grill grates?Heres the basic process to get you started:
Cleaning The Flavorizer Bars
Flavorizer bars catch drippings that smoke and sizzle, adding flavor to your food. Any drippings that are not vaporized by the Flavorizer bars are funneled away from the burners. This helps prevent flare-ups inside of your grill, and protects the burners from getting clogged.
Recommended Reading: Where To Dispose Of Old Gas Grill
Tips & Tricks For Cleaning Weber Grill Burner Tubes
Indeed, the cleaning of the Weber grill burner tube isnt simple. Therefore, certain care and tips can further help with the procedure, especially when youll be carrying it regularly.
- Never use a brush that has previously cleaned the cooking holes. Itll transfer grease from the holes into the ports on the burner. You can read all of the instructions to clean the grill itself here.
- Clean across the surface of the burner tube and do not attempt to use the brush upright.
- Find out if your burners need to be cleaned or if they need to be replaced altogether.
- If your burner tubes are cracking and splitting apart, it is time to replace them permanently, as no matter how you try, you will not be able to unclog them.
- Always refer to the instruction manual if you are confused about removing the Weber Qs burner tubes. If you work in a hurry, you may damage the grill.
- It is a good idea to clean the burner tubes after five to six uses. Remove the Weber grill and clean the burner tubes using a dry grill brush. You can use paper clips, toothpicks, or a spectacle-shaped screwdriver to unclog the tube. It is also a good idea to use a safety pin.
- To keep your Weber Q burners cleaner, you can use the maintenance kit as well. This kit contains all the tools and chemicals you need to clean your grill. The kit includes a grate grill cleaner, a scrubber with three different scrub pads, a grill brush, a scraper, and a stain remover.
Routine Maintenance For Charcoal Grills
Use a grass wire grill brush to remove smoke buildup from the inside of the kettle. Smoke and grease buildup resembles flaking paint. If needed, wash the inside of the kettle using warm soapy water.
Wash the outside surface of the kettle with warm soapy water. Rinse soap residue from the grill with water after washing.
Recommended Reading: How Long Do You Grill Pork Tenderloin
How To Clean Your Cooking Grates
Filthy grates are such a pain to deal with in the spring or at the start of the summer when you haven’t touched them all winter.
Did you know that some of our customers even replace these grates each year rather than look after them properly but it couldn’t be easier to clean Weber cooking grates.
There is no need to take the grates off, dishwash, pressure wash or anything drastic!
Instead just do the following each and every time BEFORE you go to cook on your Weber:
Preheat your cooking grates at a high temperature .
Wait for 10-15 mins .
Food from your last cook will carbonise..
Brush clean using a Weber T-Brush.
You are now ready to grill, as simple as that.
If you know that you’re not going to use your BBQ for a while then you could follow this easy process at the end of your cook also.
How To Remove Food Residue From Grates
Start by tackling the grates.Its good practice to burn off any food residue left on your grill by turning all your burners to high for 15 minutes before grilling, says Kolman. As your grill heats up, he explains, all food remnants will transform into ash. From there, you can easily brush them off using a stainless steel bristle brush. And speaking of the brush, for the highest quality clean, I recommend getting a brand new one every year, says Kolman. Set a calendar reminder to go brush shopping at the end or beginning of every summer.
You May Like: How Long To Cook Boneless Chicken Breast On Grill
Instructions For Cleaning Your Grill Cover With Natural Cleaners
Mix the baking soda, Sal Suds, and vinegar with about 12 ounces of slightly warm water. Pour this mixture into a spray bottle and gently swirl this bottle to ensure that the solution is properly mixed. You can then proceed to spray this natural homemade cleaning mixture onto your grilling cover to thoroughly coat it. Use a very soft brush or cloth to rub the mixture in, and then rinse with some water. With this, you should get rid of the grease buildup completely.
Once you have cleaned the grill cover this way, you can then spray the avocado oil mentioned earlier onto a paper towel and use it to wipe the grill cover. It will serve as additional protection preventing damage with time.
How To Remove Weber Grill Burner Tubes
Removing the weber grill burner tubes is a step-by-step process but with this guide, it will be easier.
Also Check: Hottest Gas Grill
Charcoalseason To Season Tips
1. When the grill is cool, brush or scrape off built-up carbon on the underside of the lid.
2. Brush the cooking and charcoal grates to remove the leftover debris from your last grilling session.3. Use a scraper to chip away any hard-to-remove debris on the inside of the bowl. Use the One-Touch Cleaning System to push ashes and debris into the ash catcher.4. Make sure to empty the ash catcher – ashes left sitting in the ash catcher can promote corrosion.
5. Use our exterior grill cleaner to clean the outside lid and side tables of your grill.
Additional Tips To Care For A Weber Grill Cover
Asides the basic cleaning procedures, there are other simple precautions you should take in order to prevent damage and prolong the life of your Weber grill cover.
- You should avoid cleaning it with a metal scouring pad or hard wire brush. The only portion of your grill that is strong enough to be cleaned with a scouring pad is the grate. Doing so to your grill cover and other delicate parts might damage the protective finding on it.
- Always use a non-toxic, non-flammable and non-abrasive chemical for cleaning your grill cover. Using them not only damage the cover but can also be unsafe for your cooking area as well.
- Washing your grill cover in the washing machine isnt recommended. While it doesnt automatically mean the cover will be damaged as some users claim they do so without any harm, but there are others who also reported damage as a result of agitation or harsh chemicals used in the washing.
- It is important to keep your grill covered when it is not in use. This means you will have to use the cover all year long in order to keep the grill clean and extend its life.
Also Check: Did Mcdonald’s Get Rid Of Chicken Tenders