Start Your Marinade With Oil
Your marinade should be at least 1/2 oil. The oil helps emulsify the marinade into a thick sauce that coats the meat. It’s also a flavor-carrier. And having a coating of an oil-based sauce on your steak before you grill it will help it cook better and more evenly.
You’ll need 1/2 cup of marinade per pound of meat you’re grilling, and you want that marinade to be at least half oil, so for two pounds of steak, start with 1/2 cup of oil. If you don’t want to taste the oil, go for a neutral oil like grapeseed or canola. If you’re open to a stronger flavor, try olive oil or sesame oil or even an infused oil. You can mix together a couple oils or stick with just one. And of course you can add more later if needed once you get all the other elements in play.
To Make The Steaks In A Skillet
How Do You Flavor The Steak For Grilling
About 20 minutes before grilling, remove the steaks from the refrigerator and let them rest, covered, at room temperature. Heat the grill very high. Brush the steaks on both sides with oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Put steaks on the grill and cook them until golden and slightly charred, 4 to 5 minutes.
Read Also: Steaks On Traeger Grill
Why This Recipe Works
Fast, delicious, easy I could go on forever as to why this recipe works.
Fast From fridge to grill to mouth in less than 30 minutes! Cant top that!
Easy Prepared with simple pantry seasonings, you can grill these steaks to your liking in a flash and even whip up the butter while the steak is cooking on one side, its that easy!
Customizable If you dont have sirloin, you can substitute another kind of steak and you can change up the butter in a number of ways as well .
Adaptable Dig right into your steak as-is, or slice it and put in on a salad, serve over rice or noodles, add strips of the steak to a hoagie bun and top with peppers and onions, dice up for quesadillas or tacosthis sirloin steak recipe goes great with so many other dinner ideas!
Can You Make These Steaks Into Shish Kabobs
Yes! Sirloin is one of the best cuts of steak for making shish kabobs. When using this marinade to make kabobs, I recommend cubing the steak, then adding it to the marinade. This means, more of the steak surface area gets to soak up the delicious marinade.
After marinating the cubes of steak for at least 20 minutes, skewer the steak by itself or with veggies like bell peppers and onions. Grill the steak shish kabobs over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes, flip and continue grilling for an additional 4-5 minutes.
You May Like: How To Make Grilled Cheese On Stove
What Ingredients Go Into Steak Marinade
- Balsamic vinegar I dont recommend substitutes here. Balsamic vinegar will add the best flavor. And use dark balsamic, white isnt as strong.
- Worcestershire sauce another key ingredient. This is one of the best ingredients for steak marinade.
- Soy sauce keep in mind the longer the steak marinades the more sodium it will absorb from the soy sauce, so if you only marinate 1 hour you may still need a little salt added to the steaks.
- Olive oil dont use extra virgin olive oil because it has a low smoke point, just regular refined olive oil.
- Dijon mustard this adds a little extra flavor. Dont use regular mustard.
- Honey just a light amount helps tone down acidity of the vinegar it also helps the exterior of steaks brown better.
- Garlic as always only use fresh. It makes a big difference.
- Freshly ground black pepper if you havent made the jump to fresh ground pepper now is the time! It really is a lot better.
- Dried rosemary of course fresh will work great too, use 1 Tbsp chopped if using fresh.
- Steak this makes enough marinade for about 2 pounds of steak.
Grilled Marinated Ranch Steak
Grilled Marinated Ranch Steak will make you rethink this less expensive steak. Dont hesitate buying those cheaper cuts. There is always a time and place for them. Porterhouse steaks cant make a showing every weekend and we get that!
I think once you bite into the ranch steak, you will be impressed by the flavors and texture of it.
Recommended Reading: Coleman Roadtrip Party Grill With Instastart
Whats The Best Steak Marinade
There are two major components to every marinade that has to be there to be the best. Some form of acid, and some form of sweetness.
The acid tenderizes the meat. Acids include citrus juice or vinegar. Worcestershire sauce has a high level of acid in it, being our tenderizer for this marinade.
The sweetness helps to get that caramelized flavor, or umami, that makes grilled meats extra flavorful. In this recipe for the best steak marinade, I use brown sugar as our sweet component.
However, you can also use honey, granulated sugar, or other natural forms of sweeteners in its place.
Now that we have our two crucial ingredients, acid and sugar, other ingredients in the best steak marinade include seasonings of black pepper, Montreal steak seasoning, and salt, thats it! Super basic ingredients you probably already have in your own kitchen.
How Do You Make A Steak Tender
There are two ways that I use to make a steak tender. Acidic tenderizers are a great way to get a tender steak. I include lemon juice in my marinade to help to soften the steak. it breaks down the tough fibers in the meat. If you are starting out with an already tough cut of meat, I will also break down the fibers by pounding the meat before I cook it.
Also Check: Best Way To Cook Halibut On The Grill
The Best Steaks To Marinate
Lauren Habermehl for Taste of Home
When choosing a steak to buy, keep in mind that cuts closer to the hooves and horns tend to be tougher than those further away. We find that steaks from the leg and shoulder areas are ideal for marinating because these are the muscles that work the hardest on a cow. Flank steak, hanger steak, tri-tip, bottom round and eye of round are all great if youre looking for the best steak to grill and marinade.
Keep in mind that even sirloins, New York strips and tenderloins can get a boost from a quick marinade. They may not need much help in the tenderness department, but they can still benefit from the additional flavor learning how to make steak marinade provides.
What Is Chimichurri Sauce Made Of
Chimichurri sauce is typically made of parsley, garlic, some kind of vinegar, and spices such as salt, pepper, oregano, and red peppers in olive oil.
I based mine off the sauce I had in Austin. As most foods go, standard sauces can vary across regions. Thats why mine also includes cilantro, onions, red pepper flakes, red wine vinegar and Italian seasoning. But feel free to experiment with herbs and spices till you find the perfect combination of chimichurri sauce for you!
How To Marinate Chicken
Though its slightly more involved, Chef Jordan Terry, who started as a meat cook before rising to his current role as executive chef at Dirty French, tells us he likes a marinade inspired by Indochina. To make it, blend 100 grams fish sauce, 50 grams honey, 25 grams shallots, 10 grams garlic, 30 grams hoisin, 10 grams rice wine vinegar, and 2 grams makrut lime leaves then, pour it over the chicken and grill with excess marinade, allowing it to char with the skin, he says.
For Fletcher, My go-to summertime chicken method involves brining breasts on-the-bone in a solution of 6 quarts water, 12 cup kosher salt, 12 cup white sugar. I do this overnight. In the morning I remove from brine, pat dry, and let them air dry in the fridge all day, uncovered, until Im ready to grill. After grilling, I toss the breasts in a light dressing made from 14 cup olive oil, juice from 2 fresh lemons, and 1 tablespoon of minced fresh garlic with salt and pepper to taste.
Grilled Marinated Steak Tips
I usually throw my steaks in a resealable bag, with this incredible steak spice marinade, just before I head out the door to work. Leaving the steak in the marinade for a good chunk of the day helps to tenderize the meat and adds intense flavour. I toss the to-be grilled marinated steaks back in the fridge while Im gone and remove it as soon as I get home rule number 1 for cooking steak is to always let it sit at room temperature for a while before grilling.
I have found that some people complain that barbecued steak can be very tough. I would hazard a guess to say that the reason people are eating tough steak is because they are cooking the living daylights out of it.
A good grilled marinated steak, or any steak for that matter, really only requires a few minutes of grilling on each side and then an 8-10 minute rest. I am 100 percent in the camp of cooks who believe that all meats should have a resting period. I know that others believe this might be a myth , but resting meat allows juices to re-absorb so you have a juicy, tender piece of beef.
We enjoy our steak pretty simple, with a side salad or some grilled asparagus. And the steak marinade leaves such a wonderful flavour that barbecue sauce is never necessary on these delicious grilled marinated steaks!
I can promise you, that if youre a steak lover, this recipe is definitely for you!
Also Check: Grease Stain Removal From Concrete
Key Ingredients For Marinades
- Fat: You could use almost any oil for your marinade, but we love olive oil for its flavor and quality. It has a smoke point that is lower than avocado or peanut oil, but it still prevents sticking and adds flavor.
- Acid: Balsamic or red wine vinegar and even lemon juice are said to help tenderize tough cuts of meat, but more importantly their sharp flavor counters both the salinity of a well-seasoned steak and the rich flavor produced from the grill. Bonus: The natural sugars in vinegar caramelize, making for really great grill marks!
- Salt: What doesnt salt bring to the party? It seasons the steak, aids in moisture retention, and tenderizes. Dont skimp on it here!
- Flavor enhancers: If all marinades are effectively made from the same four components, this is the one place to make yours unique. Mustard is one of our go-to flavor enhancers because it packs a lot of flavor in a little punch and everyone has it in the fridge. Try a few smashed cloves of garlic and let them marinate too. Got some green onions? Throw them in as well.
How Long Do You Marinate Steak
Even though I swear by the 20-minute time on this marinade, you can soak it for longer. For example, if you have extra time or want to make this marinade in the morning or the night before, you can either make it and marinate it longer or put it all together 20 minutes before you are ready to grill.
If you are using a lesser cut of steak, you can go longer to really tenderize it. If you get in a real pickle or forget about it, your steak will still be good to cook for up to 24 hours in a marinade.
Recommended Reading: Clean Char Broil Grill
Finally Make This Perfect Steak Marinade
- I was inspired to create this marinade after searching for ideas. Internet-lore says it is very similar to the recipe The Keg uses to make their delicious steaks.
- I like it because, while it works well with great cuts of meat, the acids in it can also help improve the tenderness of not-so-great cuts too. Oh, and like steak, the marinade is super easy to make.
How To Grill Sirloin Steaks
Once the steaks are marinated, I highly recommend cooking them on a grill for the best flavor. To grill the perfect sirloin steak, follow these simple steps.
Recommended Reading: Traeger Grill Steak Temp
How To Marinate Steak
I always marinate my steak in ziplock bags which I acknowledge is not environmentally friendly, but it is the most effective way to marinade steak because it keeps the steak evenly coated with a relatively small amount of marinade.
If you want to use a container instead, use a glass or other non reactive container and I would recommend doubling the marinade.
How long to marinate steak?
12 to 24 hours is best. You can also freeze it immediately then it will marinate as it thaws!
Pan fry or grill it, and marvel at how JUICY and FLAVOURFUL your steak is!!
The steak marinade injects enough flavour into the steak such that you dont need to serve this with a sauce. But I couldnt resist adding a smidge of garlic butter on top!
As for sides, its pictured with buttered baby potatoes and a classic Rocket/Arugula Salad with Shaved Parmesan. Here are some more suggestions for great sides!
Tender And Delicious Grilled Marinated Steak
We barbecue a lot around here. As a matter of fact, our barbecue is running all year long. In the dead of winter, I can be found outside, boots and hat on, happily grilling dinner. And I say happily grilling because I truly love a grilled dinner and I know that when I tell the kids what were having, there will be no arguments what so ever. Sausages and chicken and burgers seem to be our usual fare, but we are a family that does love a good grilled marinated steak every now and again. And while I dont always buy the most expensive cut of meat, I do have a pretty spectacular steak spice marinade that will make any cut so tender and delicious.
Also Check: How To Grill Steak On Traeger
How To Apply A Steak Marinade:
- First, decide what steak marinade recipe youre going to make. Weve listed several of our favorites homemade recipes below, but a quick online search will result in hundreds of recipe options. If youre pinched on time, you can buy one too .
- Next, make the steak marinade recipe. Most marinades use very simple pantry ingredients like olive oil, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce.
- If you want a deeper flavor, prick the surface of the meat with a fork before marinating. Less tender cuts should be marinated for anywhere from 20 minutes to 24 hours. The longer you marinade the beef, the stronger the flavor will be.
- Then, place the steak marinade and steak in a sealed plastic bag or glass container. Immerse the beef in the liquid, and refrigerate until its time to cook. Dont use a metal container for the marinade since the acidic ingredients can react with metal.
- Once youve placed the steak in the steak marinade mixture, place it in the refrigerator for anywhere from 20 minutes to overnight. Never marinate beef at room temperature for health safety reasons.
The Best Steak Marinade For Grilled Rib
Before grilling, set the steak out for 30 minutes so it can come to room temperature.
Prepare your grill, I highly suggest a charcoal grill. But, alternatively, you can use a gas grill or grill pan on the stove.
Sear the steak on both sides until cooked to your liking. About 5 minutes on each side. For medium, pull steak off the grill at an internal temperature of 140°F degrees.
Remove from heat, add butter, cover with foil and let rest for 10 minutes. Serve with a garnish of parsley, optional.
Also Check: Converting A Propane Grill To Natural Gas
How To Marinate Shrimp And Lobster
For seafood, we often find our inspiration from New Orleans, and will marinate shrimp or lobster with blackening spices and Tabasco before charring, says Terry. This easy-to-follow recipe for his Blackening Oil uses many ingredients you already have on your spice rack: Combine 200 grams olive oil, 5 grams cayenne, 20 grams ground black pepper, 10 grams onion powder, 10 grams garlic powder, 20 grams Tabasco, 10 grams Worcestershire, 2 grams dried thyme, 2 grams dried oregano, and 5 grams sweet paprika. Cover your seafood in it, grill, and enjoy!