How To Grill Chicken Perfectly
This post may contain affiliate links.
Learn how to grill chicken perfectly by pre-cooking in the oven before hitting the grill. ;That way, you know its fully cooked and juicy so you can relax and enjoy your guests without worrying about feeding them under-cooked or dry chicken.
Recently I found a way to make grilled chicken foolproof. What do I mean? I mean, its a way of grilling chicken where you know for sure that the meat is cooked through, and you know for sure that it is tender and juicy, definitely not dry.
This method is great for if youre having friends over because you can do most of it ahead of time. You can also make a big batch so if youve got a lot of friends, this recipes for you!
How Can You Tell When Grilled Chicken Breast Is Done Without A Thermometer
The safest, and only foolproof, way to check if chicken is done cooking is with a meat thermometer.
If you dont have a meat thermometer, you can test doneness by cutting into the thickest part of the chicken. If the meat is completely white and the juices run clear, the chicken should be done cooking. However, this can cause your chicken to dry out and doesnt prevent overcooking the chicken.
Now that you know how to grill chicken breasts, check out our best grilled chicken recipes.
How To Get Crispy Chicken Skin On The Grill
Who doesnt love crispy chicken skin? But how many times has it come out moist and rubbery? Learn how to get crispy chicken skin by combining and stacking some of the methods below that will all but guarantee crispness every time.
Today were going to chat chicken which is like talking turkey, only smaller. Specifically, were going to look at how to get crispy chicken skin on the grill and get it right every time.
We spend a lot of time talking about getting the perfect sear on a steak, what kind of sauce to mop on your ribs, or how to smoke a brisket to tender perfection. Sometimes it easy to forget that theres more for the cue than pork and beef!
Grilled chicken is absolutely delicious, and its a favorite with a long history. In fact, its where many people start their BBQ journey. Try telling me a juicy grilled chicken breast isnt a classic worth celebrating!
Still, for as easy as it is to prepare, grill, and enjoy chicken, getting the skin crispy is elusive as heck. Whats the secret, or secrets, behind chicken skin that isnt either dried out or rubbery?
All is about to be revealed. Chicken lovers, this ones for you.
Recommended Reading: How To Grill Bone In Pork Chops
Summary: Average Grilling Times For All Chicken Cuts
For your reference, here are the average times for grilling various size pieces of chicken:
- Chicken breast, boneless, skinless 6 8 ounces will take between 8 to 12 minutes over direct medium heat
- Chicken breast, bone-in 10 12 ounces 30 to 40 minutes over indirect medium heat
- Leg or thigh, bone-in 30 to 40 minutes over indirect medium heat
- Thigh, boneless, skinless 4 ounces 8 to 10 minutes over direct high heat
- Chicken wings 2 -3 ounces 18 to 20 minutes over direct medium heat
- Whole chicken 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 lbs 1 1/2 to 2 hours over indirect medium heat
Do keep in mind that these times may vary if you , or add a sauce, or change the chicken in any way.
Looking To Grill Other Cuts Of Chicken
Ive got your back! Heres how to grill chicken drumsticks and thighs:
For chicken drumsticks:
- To grill:;preheat your grill to medium high and lightly oil the grate. Place the chicken on the grill and cook for 8 minutes, then flip, brush with the reserved marinade, and grill for an additional 8 minutes. Turn the chicken over one last time, brush again with the remaining marinade, and cook for 5 more minutes, or until no pink remains in the center of the chicken.
- To bake:;preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place a oven-safe rack on a large baking sheet and grease with nonstick cooking spray so that the chicken doesnt stick to the pan. Place the drumsticks on the pan with the thicker part of the drumstick to the outside. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until cooked through.
For boneless skinless chicken thighs:
- To grill:;preheat your grill to medium high and lightly oil the grates. Cook your chicken thighs for 6-8 minutes per side, flipping once. When the internal temp reaches 165 degrees F your chicken is done.
- To bake:;preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and bake your chicken thighs for about 25-30 minutes or until the internal temp reaches 165.
For skin-on chicken thighs:
Read Also: How To Convert Gas Grill To Natural Gas
Crank Up The Heat For A Bit
Similar to searing, you might try putting your chicken on the grill at a much higher temperature than you normally would. Think 400F or higher, but still away from direct heat to reduce flare-ups. The high temperature will dry the skin, but the skin will protect the meat.
Once you see the skin starting to turn brown, you may wish to move the chicken to a cooler zone to finish cooking and keep it from drying out inside. Remember: cook to temperature, not to look or time! When your instant read thermometer reads 165F, its safe to eat.
How Long Do I Grill Chicken Breast
The grilling time depends on the temperature of your grill and the thickness of the chicken breasts. The temperature of a charcoal grill is difficult to regulate, and not all gas grills have a temperature gauge.
Your total grilling time for this recipe comes down to how long your chicken breasts take to get to the right internal temperature. When they reach an internal temperature of 155°F on an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the breast, take them off the grill. Cover in foil and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. The breasts will continue to cook and reach the recommended 165°F internal temperature.
Don’t Miss: Should The Grill Be Open Or Closed
How To Grill Split Chicken Breast
Grilling chicken breast with the bone in is no different than grilling the chicken without bones, except sometimes the amount of time it will take to cook varies.
So you might want to consider when youre grilling to have an area that you can put the chicken without direct heat under it after you have crisped up the chicken. We will cover this when we grill the chicken.
If you really like this type of chicken you will really enjoy my grilled chicken leg quarters.
The Best Chicken For Grilling
For the juiciest, most flavorful grilled chicken, use bone-in, skin-on pieces. Place the chicken on a paper towel-lined tray and pat it dry. This removes excess moisture, which prevents the skin from getting crispy. Remember to wash your hands and all equipment after handling raw chicken.
Next, season both sides generously with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper and allow the chicken to come to room temperature for 15 minutes. This helps it cook evenly and gives the salt and pepper a chance to work their magic. Keep in mind that sweet sauces like glazes and barbecue sauce shouldn’t be applied until the chicken is finished cooking. They will burn before the chicken is fully cooked.
Recommended Reading: How To Care For Cast Iron Grill Pan
Which Grill To Use For Grilled Chicken Breast
Any propane gas grill will work. However, more burners usually means a larger surface area, as well as more even heat distribution. Youll have plenty of room for grilling chicken, other meats and veggies on Char-Broils Commercial Series TRU-Infrared Gas Grill. Six large chicken breasts barely took a third of the grill, leaving plenty of room to spare.
The tips above guarantee moist chicken breast on any gas grill, but TRU-Infrared will take it even further. It has special plates with small holes below the main grilling grates that regulate heat, creating an even temperature to control cooking. No more hot or cold spots, allowing the entire grilling surface to be used. With plenty of cooking space and 4 burners, you can grill multiple items and control the temperature in each area.
The infrared grates also prevent flare-ups. You get that smoky grilled flavor, but cooking is safer and theres less risk of burning food. The even heat distribution means more control over you grilling, allowing up to 50% juicier food.
With these few simple tips on grilled chicken breast, youll be a grilling pro in no time.
How To Grill Chicken Breast On A Gas Grill
- Coat both sides of chicken with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper or desired seasonings. Let the chicken sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat gas grill before cooking to medium-high heat, or 350-400° F.
- Lightly grease grill surface and add chicken. Close lid and cook 8 minutes, or until bottoms are browned with sear marks.
- Rotate chicken, close lid, reduce heat to medium, and cook 7-10 minutes more, or until internal temperature reaches 165° F.
- Remove chicken breast from the grill and let rest 5 minutes before serving.;
Also Check: How To Use Outdoor Grill
Easy Grilled Chicken Breast
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Grilled Chicken Breast is a quick meal with tender juicy chicken in a flavorful marinade. Its extra quick to make and perfect to enjoy on its own, add to pasta, or even put on top of a salad!
A quick and flavorful marinade and an even quicker grill time means this is meal on the table in no time at all!
How To Grill Chicken Legs
Ah the Mighty Drumstick. If youre a fan of meat on the bone, then youve gotta be a fan of the chicken leg. They have a ton of flavor, are tender and juicy and just look really cool! They are also perfect for slow cooking on the grill over the open flame. Because of the bone itself, chicken legs need to be cooked a bit differently than boneless chicken breasts or thighs. ;Rather than very intense heat for a short period of time, with chicken legs, you want to use indirect heat, over a longer timeframe. That technique allows you to get the chicken legs cooked all they way through , without burning the outside of the chicken.
Here I show you how to grill some BBQ chicken legs on a gas grill, but the same fundamental techniques apply for a charcoal grill too. ;In fact, youd use just about all the same methods even if you were to cook them inside in the oven.
Also Check: How To Clean Old Grill Grates
Can I Substitute Table Salt In The Brine
We don’t recommend using table salt in this brine. There’s a big difference between the size of kosher salt flakes and table salt grains. Using table salt will add much more salt to this brine recipe, and the chicken will come out too salty.
If table salt is all you have, use 1 1/2 tablespoons of table salt in this recipe. You can also use 1 1/2 tablespoons of fine sea salt.
How Long To Grill Chicken Thighs: A Step
Chicken is a staple in many of our kitchens because its affordable and it can be used to whip up tons of delicious recipes. However, for less experienced cooks, its difficult to get the doneness of this protein JUST RIGHT.
A common beginners mistake is to rely solely on sight and touch while cooking. You should know its important to monitor the grills HEAT LEVEL, the chickens INTERNAL TEMPERATURE, and the TIME it spends on the grill too! Read what our grilling experts have to say below.
You May Like: How Do You Make Bbq Chicken On The Grill
Ready To Hit The Grill
Us too! Try some of PWWBs Top Grilling Recipes ASAP!:
- PWWB Go-To Grilling Marinades;;15 go-to recipes youll turn to time & time again, all summer long!
- Easy Grilled Veggies;;How to grill pretty much any vegetable. Vegan-friendly!
- The Very BEST Grilled BBQ Chicken;;A summertime classic perfected, thanks to a few simple steps that yield the juiciest, most flavorful BBQ chicken ever.;
- Absolutely PERFECT Grilled Buffalo Wings;;Crispy buffalo perfection. Made with just 3 simple ingredients, grilled chicken wings could not be easier! ;
- Grilled Black Bean Burgers;;Burgers arent just for meat-lovers! These grilled veggie burgers are hearty, textural & grill up like a dream!
- Best-Ever Grilled Turkey Burgers;;Kiss everything you think you know about turkey burgers goodbye. The juiciest, most flavorful grilled turkey burgers youll ever eat!
- PWWB House Burgers;;The easy French Onion Burgers that were obsessed with at the PWWB House!
- Grilled Wisconsin Beer Brats;The easiest Wisconsin-style beer brats, yielding perfectly juicy & crisp brats every time!
- Grilled SausageHow to grill sausage perfectly, every single time! This simple method can translate into dozens of delicious & easy summer dinners no flare ups here!;
- Grilled Tuscan Steak;;Perfectly juicy grilled steak, seasoned with Tuscan-style aromatics. The ultimate grilled steak dinner!
- All PWWB Grilling Recipes
Follow along with Plays Well With Butter on;,;, &;;for more easy, modern recipes & fun!
Grilling Tips For The Best Chicken Thighs
Wondering why you still cant get it right? Maybe these techniques will help:
- Buy good quality chicken. A healthy and hormone-free chicken will obviously taste MUCH BETTER than one thats pumped with chemicals. Go for all-natural and free-range options for amazing flavorno matter the cooking method.
- ALWAYS season your chicken well. Sprinkle on enough salt and pepper before grilling the chicken, so that its natural flavors become much more pronounced. When marinating, leave the sauce on for a few hours for the best results!
- Monitor the grill temperature. Some grills temperature readings arent so accurate, so pay attention to the heat. If your chicken is browning too quickly, decrease the flame!
- Keep a CLOSE eye on your chicken. If your grill is prone to flare-ups, move the chicken around so that it doesnt burn. Make sure its cooking evenly throughout the whole process!
- Use a meat thermometer. This handy kitchen tool is SO HELPFUL because it takes guesswork out of the equation. Although you can slice the chicken to check for signs of pink, using a thermometer is more effective to determine doneness.
- Try basting LAST! Although you place marinated chicken directly on the grill, some sugary sauces burn FAST, giving your final dish an unpleasant taste. Try basting when the chickens almost cooked through to avoid this!
Recommended Reading: Why Are Evo Grills So Expensive
Chicken Grill Temperature : Basic Grilling Tips
A grill surface temperature of 450° is best for most chicken. Pound uneven cuts so they cook evenly. Just make sure that the internal temperature of the chicken is 165 degrees fahrenheit. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet on the stovetop over medium heat. Presalting the meat can cause the chicken to lose moisture.
How Long Does It Take To Grill Whole Chicken
We used an outdoor gas grill for this recipe. Once spatchcocked, our grilled chicken will take about 45 minutes to 1 hour over indirect heat.
While the grill is heated to 400 degrees F, the burner directly below the chicken will be turned off, the other burners surrounding it will be on. That’s what we mean by indirect heat here .
Why indirect heat? Grilling whole chicken over indirect heat is the secret to juicy, well-cooked chicken. The indirect heat essentially roasts the chicken to perfect doneness without dealing with flare-ups, burnt chicken skin, or underdone meat.
Read Also: Are Char Broil Grills Good
The Im In A Hurry To Get Things Done Method
1) Preheat your grill on high for 10-15 minutes,; take this time to scrape any previous remnants off your grates with a grill brush.
2) Prep your chicken breasts with your favorite seasonings or marinade. I used olive oil and added a few dashes of Tears of Our Rivals premium grilling spices which adds enhances the taste perfectly.
3) Once you have preheated your grill to 425-450°F.;Place seasoned chicken breasts on grill over direct medium heat.
4) Grill for about 9-10 minutes. flipping the chicken breasts at the halfway point.
5) Check the internal temperature of the chicken using a cooking thermometer. Once the internal temp is 165°F, remove from grill and let cool.
Looks Like We Are Almost at the Half-Way Point Get Ready to Flip
How Do You Grill Chicken Breasts Without Drying It Out
The key is to cook on direct heat for the first 8-10 minutes , but then switch to indirect heat for the last 5-7 minutes. ;ALSO do not leave it on the grill until it reaches an internal temp of 165 remove it from the grill when it is around 160 and then let it rest off the grill. ;As it rests, it will continue to cook and the temp can continue to rise nearly 10 degrees! ;So imagine if you did leave it on the grill until it reached 165? ;It would continue to cook and might reach 175 before you eat it! ;It would be over-cooked and dry.
Also Check: What Is The Best Indoor Smokeless Electric Grill
How Long Do You Cook Chicken Breasts On The Grill
How long do you have? If you have spent anytime on Tailgate Master you have probably learned we like to take our time when grilling. Low and Slow is the normal rule to juicy and delicious tailgating food . Knowing the right grill temperature for chicken can make the difference between a juicy, flavorful hunka-hunka beautiful chicken, and an overcooked, dry disaster.
We prefer our perfectly grilled chicken to be cooked slowly over indirect heat and reach an internal temperature of 165°F before serving.; That being said, there are several different grilling methods you might use depending upon the thickness of your chicken breasts and how much time you have. Oh and just for the record, the following recipe techniques assume you are using a boneless, skinless, non-frozen chicken breast, fresh from the cooler.
Chicken Breasts seasoned and ready for the grill