Faqs For Tender Grilled Pork Chops
What thickness do you use for your chops?
I usually use 1/2- to 1-inch thick
What temperature do you use on the grill?
I set my pellet grill to 375 for medium heat.
How do you freeze this ahead of time?
I marinate them and then put them in the freezer. I pull them out in time to defrost in the refrigerator and then put them on the grill when they are defrosted.
The Secret To Tender And Juicy Pork Chops
The secret to tender, juicy and flavorful grilled pork chops is:
- Start with thick chops , with enough fat to withstand the heat .
- Season them with a spice rub or a marinade . A spice rub acts as a dry brine and actually helps with moisture retention which means juicy meat!
- Two-zone grilling is a must! Start by grilling them over medium-high heat and finish the cooking under indirect heat.
What Temperature Should Pork Be Cooked To
Pork should be cooked to an internal temperature of 145 degrees F. This temperature will make sure the meat is safe to eat while keeping the pork moist and tender. The best way to gauge whether your pork is done is to use a thermometer. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the meat for the most accurate reading.
I make these pork chops year round, theyre just that good. I hope your family enjoys them as much as mine does!
You May Like: How Long Does Boneless Chicken Breast Take To Grill
How To Improve My Pork Chops Recipe
Even the most basic pork chops can be amazing when cooked properly, but there is always room for improvement in any recipe.
Every recipe starts with the quality of the ingredients.
When it comes to pork chops, usually loin and rib cuts are the best choices. They both come in a boneless and bone-in variety, but the bone-in version retains much more moisture.
You can also improve your recipe by Besides butter, oil, alcohol, or stock, you can also use milk to marinate pork chops, because they tenderize the meat beautifully.
You can try one of the most classic servings of pork chops and make warm applesauce on the side. Adding fresh herbs and spices instead of pre-packaged ones level up any food significantly and is well worth the try. You can keep some fresh herbs in the kitchen for everyday cooking.
How To Bake Pork Chops
Cooking pork chops in the oven often starts on the stovetop. Because one of the best ways to bake pork chops is to start in an oven-safe skillet on the stove and then transfer them into a hot oven. High-heat frying sears them to a golden brown and a moderately hot oven bakes the pork chops gently enough to keep them from drying out.
This “sear-roasting” method is a great way to cook pork chops in the oven: Fry one side to golden brown, then flip, and place the chops directly in the oven. The second side will brown beautifully as the heat from the oven cooks the middle to a tender finish.
You May Like: Leave Grill Open Or Closed
Juicy Grilled Pork Chops
Pork chops have long been known as a working mans meal. Theyre economical, lean and healthy, and quick to cook. They also have a history of coming to the dinner table dry and withery as shoe leather.
But no more! Today is the day to banish that belief because tough, dried out pork chops are about to be expelled from your vocabulary.
My husband has made these simple grilled pork chops so many times hes figured out the secrets. Whether bone-in or boneless, these pork chops turn out tender, juicy, a little bit smokey, and far from any mode of foot fashion.
Even better, these grilled pork chops dont need a marinade or a brine, so they go from package to grill to dinner in 30 minutes.
Heres how to make perfectly juicy grilled pork chops every time.
Why Are My Thin Pork Chops Tough
Because pork chops are such a lean cut, they are relatively quick-cooking and prone to overcooking. When theyre cooked for even a few minutes too long, whether its in the oven or on the stovetop or grill, theyre quick to dry out, and you guessed it become tough, chewy, and less than appealing.
Don’t Miss: Grill Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
What Is The Best Wood For Smoking Pork Chops
Wood pellets are the best choice. They burn far hotter and way slower than standard wood chips, which gives master grillers a lot more control over the temperature of their pork chops. Hardwood pellets also provide you with more smoke consistency without the build-up and they come in a wide range of blends that are ideal for pork chops.
The blend you go for really depends on what youre looking for in a grilled pork chop. Traeger maple wood pellets are amazing at bringing out the natural flavor in your pork while adding a mild, seasonal sweetness. Apple pellets are always a dependable choice if youre on the hunt for that light, slightly fruity flavor a lot of your guests naturally associate with grilled pork chops.
If you want to play around a bit, our all-natural pecan hardwood pellets give pork chops a trace of nuttiness, while our signature blend of hickory, maple, and cherry hardwood adds a full-bodied kick of flavor.
The Best Cut Of Meat For Grilled Pork Chops
Pork chops are a loin cut perpendicularly to the spine of the pig and usually contain a rib or part of a vertebra. There are four major sections where pork chops come from: shoulder chops , rib chops , loin chops , and boneless chops .
Shoulder chops have a lot of fat, connective tissue, and tough gristle, so the meat does best when its tenderized or braised in slow, moist heat over a long period of time. By contrast, rib chops, loin chops, and boneless chops are naturally lean and tender, so they are best suited for quick-cooking over high heat making them perfect for grilling!
Recommended Reading: What Temperature To Grill Pork Chops
Is It Better To Grill With The Lid Open
When you cook with the grill open, youll more effectively get a crispy, perfect-Maillard-reaction caramelization on the outside of the meat without overcooking the center. So, they can hold up to the heat chamber the lid creates, and in fact, the lid will help thicker cuts of meat or vegetables cook more evenly.
Easy Marinated Grilled Pork Chops
Prep time: 40 min Cook time: 5 min Serves: 2 people
1. In a small bowl, whisk together all of the marinade ingredients. Place the pork chops in a sealable plastic bag and pour the marinade over the meat. Seal the bag and gently massage to coat the chops. You can allow the pork to sit out for at least 30 minutes. Or, you can make this in the morning and place the bag in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours.
2. Preheat your George Foreman Grill for at least 5 minutes on high. Coat both plates of the grill with vegetable oil. Grill the pork chops with the top closed for 4 minutes. Check the temperature with a meat thermometer inserted into the center. You are looking for a minimum internal temperature of 145°F for medium and up to 160°F for well done. Continue to grill if necessary.
3. Remove the pork to a cutting board or plate and rest it for 5 minutes. Serve with your favorite sides. Suggestions follow the recipes.
Read Also: How Long Do U Grill Shrimp
Whats The Deal With Brining Pork Chops
Its a good rule of thumb to always brine pork chops before grilling. Because pork chops are fairly lean, submerging them in a brine does two things. First, it keeps the meat moist by introducing extra moisture, which provides a little insurance in case the meat gets a little overcooked. Second, it evenly seasons the meat beyond just the surface.
The base of this easy brine is just cold water whisked with salt. I like to add some sugar to help with browning on the grill, and you can also throw in aromatics like citrus peel, peppercorns, or bay leaves . Diamond Crystal kosher salt is what I use in my brine, but if you want to use another kind of salt, I recommend using an equal weight, not volume, of salt since the size of the salt granules vary greatly across brands and weight is the most accurate measurement.
Brining doesnt have to be elaborate or take a long time. Since these are chops and not a big bird like a turkey, even brining for 30 minutes does wonders, and thats about how long itll take to heat up the grill. The chops can sit in the brine for up to two hours, but dont go beyond that or the texture of the meat can get spongy. You can even brine individually frozen pork chops just put them in the brine for the full two hours. Theyll be defrosted and ready to grill at that point.
How Long Should You Cook 1
For example, boneless pork chops about 1-inch thick will need a 2 to 3 minute sear in the skillet and then 8 to 15 minutes of bake time in the oven. Thinner chops will cook much quicker, and thicker chops may take a few minutes longer a temperature thermometer is your best bet for checking doneness.
Also Check: How To Clean Infrared Grill Grates
Reasons To Love This Grilled Pork Chops Recipe:
- Easy: brine the pork, rub the pork, cook the pork, slather on the barbecue sauce couldnt be any easier or more delicious!
- Foolproof: grilling pork chops isnt complicated at all. Its about following simple instructions such as picking the right cut of pork, generously seasoning and not overcooking. With my step-by-step instructions and a meat thermometer, your grilled BBQ pork chops will emerge second to none!
- Prep ahead: brine and season the pork chops up to 48 hours in advance then grill when ready.
- Nutritious: they are packed with nutrients and protein your family needs!
- Easy to double: this recipe can easily be doubled or tripled by using the up arrow in the recipe card next to the servings.
- Minimal cleanup: summer is all about spending time outdoors with family and friends and not in the kitchen. This recipe allows you just that you can even grill the pork chops next to your loved ones while you chat it up.
- Perfect for every occasion: this Grilled Pork Chops recipe is the answer for an easy, tasty dinner all spring and summer long. Theyre gourmet enough for special occasions such as Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, etc. but simple enough for a backyard dinner. Grilled pork chops are also typically less expensive than other proteins, so you can enjoy them any night of the week.
How To Reverse Sear Pork Chops On A Grill
One popular way to get the most smoke flavor, the perfect cooking temperature, and those appetizing grill marks, is to reverse-sear the pork chops.
Set the Traeger grill temperature to 275 degrees Fahrenheit and preheat, with the lid closed, for 10 to 15 minutes.
Because of the lower temperature, you’ll more than double the cooking time. Cook at the same temp for 60 minutes .
After you reach an hour, you should remove the pork chops from your grill and set your temperature to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. Once the grill is hot, place the pork chop back on the grill and sear for three minutes per side or until they reach an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit . Then rest for at least three minutes and serve.
Read Also: Char Broil Infrared Grates Rusting
How To Store And Reheat Grilld Pork Chops
- Serve: dont leave the grilled pork chops at room temperature longer than 2 hours because they can start to grow harmful bacteria. If youre taking them to a potluck or barbecue, plan accordingly.
- Storage: transfer grilled pork chops to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to five days.
- Microwave: transfer pork chops to a microwave safe plate. Microwave for 60 seconds then at 15 second intervals as needed.
- Skillet: drizzle some olive oil in a skillet and heat to medium heat. Add pork chops, cover and cook until warmed through, flipping once.
- Oven: Transfer pork chops to a baking sheet, cover with foil and reheat at 350F for 10 minutes or just until warmed through.
Perfect Grilled Pork Chops
Perfect Grilled Pork Chops are actually really easy to make. Choose the right cut, add some seasoning, and grill the best pork chop youve ever had in your life!
Perfect Grilled Pork Chops are actually really easy to make. Choose the right cut, add some seasoning, and grill the best pork chop youve ever had in your life!
These pork chops are magical! They rival any beef steak. Every time I make them people rave that they are the best pork chops theyve ever had in their life. Follow my instructions and you will be the star of every backyard barbecue! People cant get enough of my perfect pork chops.
You May Like: Clean Weber Grill Grates
Tips From The Pillsbury Kitchens
- tip 1 You can make these easy BBQ pork chops with bone-in pork chops instead of pork loin chops.
- tip 2 Bringing the extra barbecue sauce to a boil heats up and thickens the sauce, making it ideal for dipping or spooning on top of pork chops.
- tip 3 Serve these tangy, barbecue pork chops with grilled vegetable foil packs or potato salad.
How To Flavor Grilled Pork Chops For Grilling
There are two main ways that you can flavor pork chops for grilling > marinades or dry rubs.
: a marinade is like a flavor bath for your pork. It infuses the meat with delicious flavors and leaves your pork extra juicy. In this recipe, were using our go-to pork chop marinade .
Dry Rubs: dry rubs are a great way to add amazing texture to the outside along with intense flavor. If youd rather use a dry rub for this recipe, we recommend our Pork Rub. Its sweet, savory, and a little smokey.
Don’t Miss: How Much Are Studio Movie Grill Tickets
How To Grill Pork Chops Without Drying Them Out
You dont need much to make juicy pork chops, just good quality chops, canola oil, and your pork chop seasoning of choice .
Sprinkle the pork chop seasoning on lightly oiled pork chops, making sure to coat both sides well. Allow the rub to rest into the chops as the grill pre-heats so the flavor seeps into the pork chops before searing on the grill and sealing in flavor.
Then, its just a matter of throwing the pork chops on the grill and letting them cook through. You want to turn the chops just once while theyre on the grill.
Brined And Grilled Pork Chops Faqs
How can you keep pork chops from drying out on the grill?
Choose bone-in chops that are around 3/4-inch thick, have some marbling and fat around the outside, and soak them in a brine solution for one hour prior to grilling.
How do you brine pork chops for grilling?
Combine 2 cups of water with 4 tablespoons of salt and 1/2 cup of sugar in a saucepan. Simmer and stir until the salt and sugar dissolve. Remove from the heat, add 2 cups of cold water and cool completely before brining the chops for 1 hour.
How long should you cook brined pork chops on the grill?
For 3/4 to 1-inch thick chops, cook on well-oiled grates for 4 minutes on the first side, 3 to 4 minutes on the second, or until a thermometer registers . Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
You May Like: Temperature For Pork Loin On Grill
How To Make Grilled Maple Pork Chops:
- Preheat your grill for 350 degrees F. Have a reliable instant read thermometer nearby, you are going to need it!
- Warm maple syrup in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Combine glaze ingredients, cover, and set aside.
- Blot the pork chops dry with paper towels and brush with oil.
- Combine seasoning and apply evenly to both sides of pork chops.
- Place chops onto the grill and cook for 20-22 minutes. Watch for flare-ups, adjust heat, or move chops to a cooler part of the grill and finish cooking indirectly.
- After the first 10 minutes, start applying glaze every 3-4 minutes until chops are done.
- Once chops have reached an internal temperature of 150 degrees F., remove from grill and loosely tent with aluminum foil. Let chops rest for 5-7 minutes.
- Serve these grilled maple pork chops garnished with your herb of choice. Lightly drizzle with warmed maple syrup and serve.
Tips For Grilled Pork Chops
- Bring the pork chops to room temp: As with most meats, you want to bring pork chops to room temperature before grilling. Otherwise, the outside may char before the insides can evenly cook. About 30 minutes is needed to bring to room temperature. This is a perfect time to let the seasonings to soak into the meat.
- Pre-season: Generously coat both sides of pork with salt and black pepper, or other preferred seasonings. Ill recommend some of my favorites later in this post.
- Preheat the grill: Preheat the gas grill to medium-high. The grill should be hot before you add the pork chops to prevent sticking and create a nice sear.
- Dont overcook: As with all meats, cook just to the desired doneness.
- Let rest before serving: Let cooked meats sit at room temp 3 to 5 minutes to hold in more juices.
You May Like: Who Owns Macaroni Grill