How To Make It
Making the sauce
How To Grill Thick
Has this summer been as grill-heavy for you as it has been for us? I personally have taken every chance I could to cook on the delicious grill rather than heating my kitchen to unlivable temperatures. But in all of the hubbub surrounding National Grilling Month, surely you have not forgotten the humble pork chop, have you?
I say humble, but there is nothing small or meek about big, juicy pork chops. Pork chops take well to all kinds of seasonings and flavor combinations and are far cheaper than even cheaper steak cuts. To demonstrate their versatility, today were going to discuss how to cook massively-thick double-cut pork chops on the grill.
Why Are My Grilled Pork Chops Tough
Because pork chops are such a lean cut, they are relatively quick-cooking and prone to overcooking. When theyre cooked for even a few minutes too long, whether its in the oven or on the stovetop or grill, theyre quick to dry out, and you guessed it become tough, chewy, and less than appealing.
Also Check: What Temp To Cook Pork Steaks On Grill
Don’t Miss: Grilled Pork Chops Internal Temp
Why Youll Love These Grilled Pork Chops
- BBQ pork chops that are JUICY are easy to fall in love with.
- The wet spice rub is delicious and perfectly compliments the grilled chops.
- This recipe is a summer-friendly version of my crazy popular Juicy Baked Pork Chops. If you like that one then youll love this one, too.
- Unlike many pork recipes, this one is 100% sugar-free. Thats right, my friends. This is a healthy pork chop recipe.
- These chops are so tasty that all you need to make them a meal is a simple side salad. Give it up for easy summer dinners!
Recommended Reading: How To Keep Rats Away From Grill
How To Reverse Sear Pork Chops On A Grill
One popular way to get the most smoke flavor, the perfect cooking temperature, and those appetizing grill marks, is to reverse-sear the pork chops.
Set the Traeger grill temperature to 275 degrees Fahrenheit and preheat, with the lid closed, for 10 to 15 minutes.
Because of the lower temperature, you’ll more than double the cooking time. Cook at the same temp for 60 minutes .
After you reach an hour, you should remove the pork chops from your grill and set your temperature to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. Once the grill is hot, place the pork chop back on the grill and sear for three minutes per side or until they reach an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit . Then rest for at least three minutes and serve.
Don’t Miss: Temp For Grilling Pork Chops
What Cut Of Pork Chops Are Best For Grilling
When buying pork chops, there are a lot of options since chops can be cut from different areas of the loin. The section at the front of the loin near the shoulder, called the blade end, is the fattiest cut. Rib chops are leaner and have a large, smooth section of meat. Bone-in center-cut chops have both the loin and tenderloin, and the sirloin is from the back end and has lots of muscles.
For grilling, I like rib or center-cut chops since theyre tender and dont have too many chewy muscles. While I personally like bone-in since I like nibbling on the meat attached to the bones, boneless will work too. I always buy pork chops that are at least 1-inch thick, as thinner pork chops tend to cook too quickly before they have a chance to develop a nice crust on the outside.
How Long To Cook
How long to grill is mostly a thickness thing. A ¾ inch thick chop may only be about 10 minutes. A 1-inch thick chop is more like 12-14 minutes, and a 1 ½ inch may take up to 20 minutes.
A bone-in chop may take a bit longer than boneless. Also, the starting temp of the chop and the exact grill temperature will have large effects. As always, COOK TO THE FINAL INTERNAL TEMPERATURE AND NEVER BY TIME ALONE.
Also Check: Do Traeger Grills Need Electricity
Recommended Reading: Pork Loin Grill Temp
Cook’s Tips And Recipe Variations:
- This recipe works well with bone-in or boneless pork chops. Just adjust the cooking time according to the size and thickness of your meat . Pork chops should be cooked to an internal temperature of 145 degrees F. A juicy pork chop with some pink in the middlehas been given the official “okay” by the USDA.
- Adjust the seasonings to suit your taste. You can use a prepared all-purpose seasoning, barbecue seasoning, cumin, paprika, ground red pepper , any combination of your favorite herbs, or just keep it simple with salt and pepper.
- Health Benefits of Pork Chops: Grilling pork chops can be a healthy way to prepare this lean cut of meat. Pork chops have 24 grams of protein in a 3-ounce portion and offers a good source of zinc. A 6-ounce grilled pork chop seasoned with olive oil and all-purpose seasoning has about 250 calories, 13 grams of fat, zero carbohydrates, and 31 grams of protein. This is a Keto-friendly and low-carb option.
What Are Grill Temperature Settings Suitable For Pork Chops
Getting your temperature right will make a difference between eating juicy grilled pork chops and struggling with some dried out, tough chops. Then, do you love your chops boneless or bone-in? You can set a temperature that will keep the meat tender, preserve its juices, and leave it with that smoky flavor you want. And, since these cuts are lean, no need for marinating them before grilling. Your meal can be ready in half an hour.
Note that each grill will cook different pork chops at different temperatures and cooking time. Hence, for successful grilling, ensure you follow the recommended temperature settings by using a reliable thermometer and a timer. Again, as you gain more grilling experience, you can then determine the best temperature for that individual flavor you want.
Then, most grills operate at a temperature setting of between 350° to 450°F for pork chops. This temperature varies according to the thickness and cooking time for the chops. For example, thin chops will overcook and turn out dry. But, thick cuts are excellent in retaining most of their juices when grilling. Boneless cuts of ¾ inches of thickness need at least 8 minutes to cook until tender. In contrast, a bone-in chop of ½ inches thickness will take up to 12 minutes to be ready.
How Do You Cook Pork Chops On A Grill
Heat a grill or grill pan over medium heat. Remove the pork chops from the bag and lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on the grill and cook until the pork chop releases from the grill, about 4 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side for another 3 minutes. If using a grill pan, be sure to do in batches so you dont steam
How Long Grill Pork Chops Each Side
Place the pork chops on the grill and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side, depending on how thick they are. Continue to cook for 8-12 minutes more, turning once, or until pork chops reach a temperature of 145 degrees F. Transfer pork chops to indirect heat . Remove the pork chops from the grill and let them to rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting them into pieces.
Don’t Miss: What Temp To Take Pork Chops Off Grill
Cooking Pork Chops On A Griddle
Are you looking for a quick and easy way to cook pork chops?
Using a griddle is one of the easiest cooking methods for pork chops. The high heat of the griddle cooks pork chops quickly and evenly.
When cooked on the griddle, pork chops retain their natural juices and succulence. This means that pork chops cooked on the griddle are especially tender and juicy.
So, lets go through everything you need to know about cooking pork chops on a griddle
How To Cook Pork Chops On The Grill
Once you have your ingredients together its time to start grilling! Heres how:
- Season the pork chops: About 30 minutes before grilling season the pork chops. Place them on a small rimmed pan or plate and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper on both sides. I used to be much more reserved about the use of salt, but Ive learned that just a little bit more brings out a wealth of natural flavor in pork.
- Heat the grill: Pork chops cook best at around 450° F. Clean the grill grates then close the grill lid for a minute to let the heat build back up.
- Grill the pork chops: Add the pork chops to your hot grates, then close the grill lid again. Cook for 2 minutes without peeking.
- Flip: Using tongs, flip the pork chops over and cook on the second side for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes longer, until each pork chop reads 145° F with an internal thermometer.
- Rest: Remove the pork chops from the grill and let rest for 3 minutes to seal in the juices and flavor.
Also Check: How To Deep Clean Weber Grill
Tips For Grilling Pork Chops
Grilling pork chops is a two-step process:
Follow these tips to get the best grilled pork chops:
- The thicker the better: Thicker pork chops retain their juices better for more flavor and tenderness, so target 1-2 inches whenever possible.
- Salt the chops: Salt tenderizes the meat for juicy chops, and optionally you can brine them in salt water for 20-30 minutes too.
- Pat dry: Grilling wet chops will interfere with the searing process, so remove excess moisture by patting dry with paper towels or a tea towel before grilling.
- Use a thermometer: Check doneness accurately using an instant-read thermometer once it reads 145°F , remove the pork chops from the grill .
- Let the pork chops rest: After baking, they should rest for 3-5 minutes to let the juices retreat back into the meat for maximum flavor. Resist the urge to cut into them right away!
Since theres wide variation among grills, including gas and charcoal grills, pay attention to the grill thermometer to know what kind of heat youve got.
Grilling Tips For Your Juicy Pork Chops
Finally, for all the grill masters or aspiring beginners, here are some extra tips you can use to achieve your perfect grilled pork chops:
Unlike popular belief, it is not a must to turn the pork chops while they cook. Instead, observe the cooking time and internal temperature as per the above recommendations. If you must, set your chops on the areas that are cooler, away from direct flames. This way, you will avoid burning the meat.
Are you finding it hard to determine the internal temperature of your chops when using a charcoal grill? Use this quick guide:
Opt for thicker cuts. They retain more juices, cook slowly, ensuring the cuts absorb all the rich smoky flavors.
Are you struggling to get your chops moist and juicy even at the ideal temperature and cooking time? Try bringing them for 2 to 4 hours. Alternatively, refrigerate the chops in the brine overnight. This process will loosen the muscle tissue in the chops, allowing for the flavor and moisture to absorb in well.
Did you know that piercing the chops with sharp utensils when turning it also makes the juices to leak out? Then, opt for a pair of tongs or spatulas instead.
Never grill your chops on direct flames. Such heat is difficult to control.
You May Like: Traeger Pork Chops Temp
Grilled Boneless Pork Chops
Grilled succulent boneless pork chops arent just an urban myth! It is possible to get juicy flavorful grilled pork without the bone. Need proof? Well just look at these photos! ?
Ok, thats not exactly proof, right? But let me tell you this is one delicious meal! I served these chops with some easy sides Seasoned Grilled Sweet Potato Wedges and Grilled Caesar Salad, its a favorite! And finished off everything with Blueberry Lemon Cobbler on the Grill.
How Long Does It Take To Cook Pork Chops On A Bbq Grill
Grilling pork chops is a relatively quick process. Chops of pork must be grilled for between five and 15 minutes depending on how thick they are cut. It is important you keep your grilling grate hot on gas or charcoal grills. From 350F to 450F, the pig chop grills temperature will maintain the perfect amount of seasoning.
Also Check: Pork Temp Grill
How Long Do You Grill Pork Chops On A Gas Grill
Preheat the grill to medium heat and cook the pork chops for 2 to 3 minutes per side, depending on how thick they are. Cook for 8-12 minutes more, turning once, or until pork chops reach 145 degrees F. Transfer pork chops to indirect heat . Allow for at least 5 minutes of resting time after removing the pork chops from the grill.
The Best Cut Of Meat For Grilled Pork Chops:
Pork chops are a loin cut perpendicularly to the spine of the pig and usually containing a rib or part of a vertebra. There are four major sections where pork chops come from:
In short, you can use this easy grilled pork chops recipe with rib chops, loin chops or boneless chops. Our preference is always a 1-2 inch thick-cut chop. The chops shown here each weighed about 8 ounces and measured about 1.5-inches thick.
Posted by bestproductsyear
A grilled pork can definitely make a great summer dinner for a cookout with your friends. Pork chops is versatile and a lean meat that is perfect for grilling. Mastering the technique of grilling pork will completely make it perfect for you. Grilling pork chops correctly will help to keep the meat moist which is a necessary thing it because pork chops are easy to dry and cook. It is therefore advisable not to grill the thin pork chops.
You will only bread and fry them and they will taste delicious. Ensure that you buy pork chops that is about 3/4 inch thick. Brine your pork for a short period and check your heat all the time. This is because pork chops do not like high heat. The following are steps followed when grilling your pork chops using the gas grill.
Also Check: Char-broil Grill Cleaning Tool
Pick Out Good Pork Chops To Grill Fat = Flavor
I recently picked up some thick center-cut pork chops that I thought were nicely marbled. I was wrong. They werent that marbled and unfortunately, I misunderstood the internal temperatures for pork. Its not 165 degrees, its 145 degrees! Ouch! Those pork chops were a little tough and tasted like disappointment. Im more prepared today with fattier chops and a better grilling plan. But, theyre thinner too, so my margin of error will be more narrow.
What Is Medium Heat On A Grill
The mean temperature of the medium range for grilling is around 350 degrees, although it can be raised a few degrees if necessary. This heat setting is mostly used for certain types of meat and other products that require a longer cooking time to be completely prepared.
Also Check: Grilling Pork Tenderloin Temperature
How To Grill Boneless Pork Chops
I know youre thinking. but Julie, is it really necessary to allow the grilled pork chops to rest before serving? Yes!! If you want tender, juicy chops allow them to rest covered in foil! Allowing the meat to rest will let the fibers of the meat relax.
This results in that juicy, tender pork chop youre hungry for!
Should Pork Chops Be Pink In The Middle
It is more effective to cook with the grill open because you will get a crispy, perfect-Maillard-reaction caramelization on the outside of the meat without overcooking the middle. As a result, they will be able to withstand the heat chamber created by the lid, and in fact, the lid will aid in the uniform cooking of thicker portions of meat and vegetables.
Don’t Miss: Pit Boss 1600 Pro Series Review