Tips For The Ultimate Chicken Marinade:
- Make sure you plan ahead because the longer this chicken marinates, the better it is. It needs at least three hours, but longer is even better. I always marinate mine overnight.
- If the chicken breasts Im using are super thick, I like to lay them between two sheets of wax paper and flatten them out just slightly. I use my rolling pin and either roll back and forth a few times on each chicken breast, using lots of pressure, or I will just gently pound each one a few times with the rolling pin. I try and make sure all mine are the same thickness so they all cook the same amount of time.
- This chicken is delicious cold! We dont heat up the leftovers, we just slice it and eat it cold. Its great thrown in salads or use it to make a sandwich or a burrito bowl.
- Because this marinade is so good, I like to take any extra marinade thats left after Ive basted the chicken and pour it into a pan. I bring it to a boil and let it boil for about 5 minutes and then we either drizzle more over the grilled chicken or use it as a dipping sauce.
- This marinade would also be delicious for marinating steak or pork.
- 3 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
Grilled Chicken Breast: The Solution
One method is to marinate chicken cutlets, or chicken breasts pounded to an even thickness, and quickly grill them on high heat. We use this method for our cilantro lime chicken and it works fine.
Another way, which doesn’t require you to change the shape of the chicken breasts, is to brine the chicken first.
What Temperature Should Chicken Be Cooked To
Chicken breasts and chicken tenders are done via any cooking method when they register 165 degrees F on an instant read thermometer.
Chicken thighs and legs are safe to eat when their internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F but they are juicier and more tender when cooked to 170-175 degrees. F. Chicken thighs contain more connective tissue than chicken breasts which takes longer to break down. Cooking them to a higher temperature will ensure that the dark meat becomes even more tender and juicy verses chewy and rubbery.
Read Also: Does Tractor Supply Have Grills
How To Grill Chicken Breast
If you’ve ever wondered how to grill the perfect chicken breast, we’ve got the answer for you. Luckily, it’s easy to grill juicy and delicious chicken breast.
How Long To Grill Chicken Breast
The trick’ to making juicy grilled chicken breasts is to not overcook them. Chicken breast is lean meat and it will dry out and become tough if you leave them on the BBQ for too long.
The best way to tell if your chicken breasts are ready to come off the grill is to use an instant read meat thermometer. Chicken should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. We use our meat thermometer to make sure we don’t overcook the meat.
Most chicken breasts are perfectly cooked after 18 minutes on the grill at medium-high heat. Smaller ones may need 2 minutes less time and larger ones may need 2 minutes more. It’s best to cook the breasts for 9 minutes then flip them over and let them cook for another 7 minutes before testing to see if they are done. This way you won’t risk overcooking them.
Also Check: How To Clean Cast Iron Grill Pan
Variations On Grilled Chicken Marinade:
- Try an Asian-inspired version of this marinade by using hoisin sauce in place of the ketchup, soy sauce instead of balsamic vinegar, and sesame oil as a substitute for the olive oil. Sprinkle the finished grilled chicken with sesame seeds before serving.
- Love Tex-Mex? Make your own south-of-the-border marinade by substituting ¼ cup of lime juice for the balsamic vinegar and bottled chili sauce for the ketchup. Add ½ teaspoon ground cumin and a pinch of dried chili flakes to the marinade if desired.
- If your family is a fan of spicy flavors you can add your favorite hot sauce to the marinade. Begin with a small amount, tasting as you go, until the marinade has just the right amount of kick to it.
Grilled Chicken Marinade Ingredients
All good marinade recipes have four main components: fat, salt, acid, and heat. In this recipe, we hit all four points oil , salt, acid , and heat . Below are some more details about the ingredients in this chicken marinade.
- Vegetableoil: The oil keeps the chicken moist and juicy. I use vegetable oil since we use a lot of it in this recipe and its a lot cheaper than olive oil, but feel free to use olive oil instead.
- Lemon juice andred winevinegar: Acids break down the fibers to help make the chicken tender!
- Worcestershiresauce: This gives the chicken great umami, salty flavor.
- Honey: Honey balances the other ingredients perfectly and adds a very subtle sweetness to the chicken.
- Soy sauce: The soy sauce adds a good amount of salt and gives the chicken a great hit of flavor.
- Garlic, mustard, pepper, and parsley: Flavor enhancers that turn plain chicken into dazzling chicken.
Read Also: Where To Buy Propane Tank For Grill
Best Chicken Breast Marinade For Grilling
The perfect amount of time for the chicken to stay in the marinade is between 12-18 hours. I like to start my chicken in the marinade before I go to bed and when Im ready to cook dinner the next day, that chicken is perfectly seasoned. While this works best for me, feel free to find what works best for you and your schedule.
How To Store And Reheat Leftovers
- Storage: store cooked grilled chicken in airtight containers in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Microwave: chop up or slice the chicken so it reheats more evenly then transfer a small portion to a microwave safe dish. Heat for one minute then at 30 second intervals as needed.
- Oven: transfer chicken to an oven-proof dish. Cover with foil and reheat at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes or just until warmed through.
Don’t Miss: Which Weber Grill Has Sear Station
How To Grill Chicken Breasts That Are Sooo Juicy
This post may contain affiliate links.
How long do you grill chicken breasts for? Do they need to be brined or marinated? How do you get good grill marks? How do you grill the juiciest chicken breasts? All your grilled chicken breast answers are here!
With summer and grilling season coming up, its a great time to grill up some chicken as an entree, to put onto salads, or to use in your favorite chicken recipes. Its therefore a good idea that we take a moment to tackle the conundrum of grilling chicken breasts.
How Much Chicken Will This Recipe Make
This recipe will marinate 1 ½ pounds of chicken, however, it is easy to scale up or down to suite your needs. 4 oz. of chicken is the recommended single serving portion of chicken, but this varies depending on the individual and what sides are being served. I would say 6-8 ounces is closer to realistic.
Recommended Reading: How To Clean Weber Grill
Ways To Cook Bbq Chicken
- Oven: Follow our easy baked chicken tutorial for directions on how to bake the most perfect marinated chicken!
- Slow Cooker: Easily whip up our Crock Pot BBQ pulled chicken recipe for the most tender BBQ shredded chicken recipe!
- Sous Vide: Want super tender chicken? Use your sous vide to get perfect marinated chicken every time.
How To Grill Marinated Chicken Breast
When you grill marinated chicken breast it can make a mess but boneless skinless chicken can be very dry and tasteless when not marinated. With this technique you can get all the extra flavor and extra moisture without the mess.
Choose your marinade: the marinade we are using for this a combination of Italian salad dressing and Goya Sazon seasoning. We will be using this chicken for fajitas and have found this combination works very well. But there are many marinades on the market so use whatever sounds good today. Set aside about a quarter of the marinade for use at the end of cook.
First we place the chicken breasts into a large Ziploc bag then add about half the bottle of Italian salad dressing and use the entire packet of the Goya seasoning. Seal the Ziploc and mix the seasoning thoroughly until it is spread evenly through the bag. Set the bag in the fridge overnight and flip it over about half way through the marination process. Its not a crime if you forget to turn it, you will get slightly better results if you remember to do it though.
Read Also: Where Are Blaze Grills Manufactured
Best Chicken Marinade Recipe
For many years now I have been perfecting my chicken marinade recipe and its finally exactly what I want. I love this easy recipe because it quickly transforms an ordinary chicken breast into something extraordinarily delicious just in time for dinner.
It really is the BEST chicken marinade Ive ever had and Im confident youre going to love it as much as we do.
An Easy Marinade For Grilled Chicken Breasts
For 4 chicken breasts I like to combine the following ingredients in a ziptop bag:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
You could use a mixture of lemon juice and white wine vinegar, or just cider vinegar instead of the lemon, if youd like. And you can use a different herb. This one calls for thyme, but dried oregano and dried rosemary are also really nice.
Combine those ingredients in a zip top bag. Then add the chicken to the bag and seal it. Refrigerate for 30-60 minutes or overnight. Remove chicken from the bag, discard the marinade. Grill the chicken according to the instructions below.
Okay, now that we have the prep for our chicken breasts done, its time to learn how to grill them!
Recommended Reading: Who Has The Best Grilled Chicken Sandwich
Rosewood Porcelain Grid Grill Brush Outset
Place the chicken breast onto the grill in a spot with no direct heat. If your heat source is only on one side be sure to place the thicker side of the breast toward the heat. You can also lower the heat and place it onto an upper rack if you dont have multiple burners.
Grill marinated chicken breast for 5 to 6 minutes and then rotate it 90 degrees on the grate. After another 5 to 6 minutes turn it over. Repeat the 5 to 6 minute rotation that we did on the first side. Check the temperature of the chicken at this point. Depending on the size you should be around 100 to 120 degrees.
At this point any left over marinade should have dried off of the surface of the chicken. We can now move it over the direct heat for finishing. Depending on your temperature reading this should take another 5 to 10 minutes.
This is where the marinade we set aside comes into play. With a basting brush apply a light coating of the remaining marinade. Wait a few minutes and brush on another layer. The first layer will absorb into the meat and the second should give you a nice finishing coat.
My Favourite Everyday Grilled Chicken Marinade
Heres the recipe for my Everyday Chicken Marinade full post is with glowing reader reviews here! Its the chicken marinade I use the most because it does exactly what it promises infuses chicken with flavour and tenderises using ingredients I always have on hand. And its excellent grilled or cooked on the stove. Enjoy! Nagi x
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on , and for all of the latest updates.
Recommended Reading: Are Weber Grills Worth The Price
How To Make Chicken Marinade
This easy marinade comes together in just minutes!
Free Ultimate Guide To Grilling
Get our FREE, printable e-book with all of the tips, tricks and tutorials youll need to gain confidence behind the grill this summer
- Exactly how to operate your gas grill + get all of our recommended grilling tools
- How to grill amazing proteins to use in your fav recipes
- The best way to grill any types of veggie
- And even how to make desserts on the grill
What are you waiting for? Grab your e-book above and enjoy a full summer of delicious grilling!
You May Like: How To Keep Grill Grates Clean
Ways To Jazz Up Your Grilled Chicken:
- Add an easy fruit or vegetablesalsa. This mango salsa is my personal favorite.
- Serve it on a salad. Chop the chicken and add it to some greens. Dress it with the cilantro-ranch dressing from this BBQ Chicken Salad recipe. Yum!
- Add it to a burritobowl. Serve it on top of rice or quinoa, add in some roasted vegetables, and drizzle on your favorite sauce .
- Sprinkle on freshherbs. Add some fresh cilantro, parsley, green onions or basil after grilling.
How Long To Marinate Chicken
- Typically, I find that marinating chicken between 5 to 6 hours is ideal for both texture and taste.
- I dont recommend keeping chicken in a marinade with citrus juice or vinegar for more than 6 hours, as its texture declines from there. After 12 hours, the meat may even start to break down.
- Chicken can rest in a buttermilk/yogurt marinade for up to 24 hours. So, this is the best choice for those who want an overnight chicken marinade.
Read Also: How Much Are Grills At Lowes
How To Make Marinated Grilled Chicken
The recipe card below lists detailed instructions for making this recipe, but here are the basic steps for now:
- We like to combine all the marinade ingredients in a ziplock bag. The kids love squishing all the ingredients together.
- Once the ingredients are well mixed, add the chicken in the bag and let it marinate.
Simplest Best Chicken Thigh Marinade
Marinating chicken isnt mandatory from a health and safety standpoint, but for the best-tasting results, it is best to marinate chicken for at least 30 minutes or up to 12 hours.
After 12 hours, the meat will start to break down, especially if you use citrus juice in the marinade.
A good marinade needs a combination of 5 key elements: salt, spice, sweet, acid, and umami.
Herbs are also a nice addition, but not strictly necessary.
This recipe is a go-to simple chicken thighs marinade when you want to serve chicken thighs as a main dish and want something more spice-forward.
- It hits all the key marinade elements.
- I usually have everything I need to make it on hand.
- The combination of sweet, spicy, and tangy ingredients gives the thighs impressive complexity.
To prepare chicken thighs, simply mix the marinade ingredients together, let the chicken rest in the marinade for 30 minutes or up to 12 hours, then follow my Grilled Chicken Thighs recipe or bake as you please. Its that simple!
Read Also: Which Weber Grill To Buy
How Long Should You Cook The Chicken On The Grill
It depends on the thickness of the chicken breast. If you prefer to use thinly sliced chicken breasts, they will cook quicker than thick chicken breasts. The rule of thumb is usually 3-5 minutes per side on medium to medium-high heat. The FDA says that chicken is fully-cooked at 165 degrees. Keep in mind that chicken continues to cook slightly once you remove from the grill.
Quick Tips For Grilling Chicken Breasts:
How long do I grill chicken breast?
Grill chicken breasts for around 9 to 10 minutes total, flipping halfway through.
How long do you grill chicken on each side?
Grill chicken breasts around 5 minutes on each side.
What’s the perfect grilled chicken temp?
Internal temperature of chicken breasts should be 165°F.
How hot should your grill be for chicken?
Heat your grill to between 425 and 450°F for chicken breasts.
Read Also: What Weber Genesis Grill Do I Have
Best Grilled Chicken Breast
This is the BEST grilled chicken breast recipe! The chicken breasts are marinated in an easy to make wet rub using pantry staple spices then grilled until juicy and crazy delicious. With a few tips, learn how to grill chicken breast so it is juicy and delicious every time.
Let’s give it up for easy and delicious grilled chicken breast recipes! This one is our all-time favorites and the one we make all summer long. The chicken breasts are flavorful and always juicy.
This recipe is really simple and the perfect recipe to keep in your back pocket for when you need to get dinner on the table quickly or you just don’t feel like thinking about what to make for dinner. The answer is always these grilled chicken breasts. After you make them once, you’ll make them again and again.
Serve these with some grilled veggies and a big salad for a quick and delicious dinner.