Get The Latest Recipes Right In Your Inbox:
Amazingly crisp-tender zucchini grilled with a lemon butter garlic sauce a side dish that will go well with anything!
The weather is getting warmer and the zucchini is getting in gear for full bloom this summer season, although living in California does have its luxuries with year-round zucchini.
But for those of you who dont have zucchini readily available 365 days out of the year, its time to dust off that grill for these crisp-tender zucchini rounds.
Now these zucchini rounds are first tossed in a lemon butter garlic sauce a sauce so good, you may want to double the sauce portion and serve some on the side with a spoon.
Go ahead. You know I wont judge.
How To Make It:
STEP 1:Cut zucchini and yellow summer squash into slices about 1/4 inch thick. If you prefer you can cut them into wedges. I like slices better because theyll cook faster. Either way, be sure to cut them so they are about the same size so theyll cook evenly. You dont need to worry about peeling them first.
STEP 2:Place vegetables on a piece of aluminum foil. If you want to add eggplant, tomatoes, onions, etc. this is the time to do it. Youll want to use a piece of foil thats big enough for the vegetables to kind of spread out. I dont like them to be more than about 3-4 layers of veggies.
STEP 3: Cut 2 Tablespoons of butter into three or four pieces and set butter pieces on top of zucchini. Sprinkle with seasonings.
STEP 4: Bring the edges of foil together and fold over three times to seal the packet. I usually use one big piece of foil and bring the sides up and fold together. Today, I used two pieces of foil Either way works. Just make sure its sealed tightly.
STEP 5: Cook foil pack on the grill. This recipe is really versatile so the cooking temperature and time can vary. And you can cook them until the squash is tender/crisp or well cooked. We like it cooked until its pretty soft. I always cook the packets right along with my meat at whatever temperature the meat is cooking. Youll need to adjust cook time if the zucchini is cut in bigger chunks. Here are a few suggestions on cook time, but remember all the factors we just talked about!
How To Cut Zucchini For The Grill
How you cut zucchini and squash for grilling can drastically affect cooking time. I slice mine into ⅓” – ½” medallions. A lot of people like to do ribbons, but I find the medallions both more difficult to deal with when slicing, and later while cooking the squash on the grill.
The medallions are surprisingly easy to work with! I don’t even use a grill pan or foil, although I provide instructions for using all methods below, for those who wish to do so.
Don’t Miss: Pork Chops On Grill Temperature
You Would Like Your Pellet Grill To Last Longer
Taking into consideration that Traeger has been in existence for so long, you can have assurance recognizing that you will have the ability to get substitute components in the near future.
As long as you stick to the producers maintenance referrals, Traeger grills normally last several years in leading condition.
Ingredients You Need For The Grilled Zucchini Marinade
- Zucchini you want to use a fairly large or medium large sized zucchini for the best bbq zucchini results
- Avocado oil; you can also use extra virgin olive oil or any other oil you like or have on hand.
- Fresh Lemon Juice and Lemon Zest adds a bright and refreshing flavor.
- Zucchini Seasoning: A must for making your grilled veggies shine. You can use any combination of seasonings you like. We opted for garlic powder, dried parsley, kosher salt, freshly cracked black pepper and optional Crushed Red Pepper.
- Fresh Herbs: Chopped fresh basil. Dont have fresh garden basil? Use fresh parsley, cilantro or oregano instead!
Recommended Reading: What Temperature To Grill Pork Chops
Do You Rinse Zucchini After Salting
Definitely not. You only need a little salt half a teaspoon of kosher salt for one medium zucchini, say to start pulling the water out. Use more, and the zucchini will simply taste like zucchini-flavored salt. If you try to rinse out the extra salt, you risk adding back in the water you just tried to get rid of.
How Do You Grill Zucchini Without Getting Soggy
Also Check: How To Grill 4 Oz Lobster Tails
How Do You Reheat Leftover Grilled Zucchini
Lets be honestsometimes, you cant eat it all. If you happen to have leftovers, all you need to do is store in an airtight container and place in the fridge. When it comes time to reheat, place in your microwave for about 30 seconds. Warm-up to temp and eat.
Keep in mind that the zucchini probably wont be as firm as they were when they were taken off the grill, but the flavor and taste will be the same.
As you can tell, grilling zucchini isnt hard to do at all. You can even grill them up and cut them into bite-sized pieces to add to your salads or other vegetable side dishes.;
How To Grill Zucchini And Squash
Now, lets get to the grilling! ;Grilling zucchini is very simple as long as you pay attention to the thickness of your zucchini slices, grill temperature and general timing.; Heres how to grill zucchini :
- Slice zucchini.;Cut the zucchini lengthwise into 1/3-inch-thick planks.
- Whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic and seasonings together ina freezer size resealable bag.; Add the zucchini and turn to coat. Marinate for 20 minutes at room temperature or up to 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.;Thats about 400 to 450 degrees.; Clean the grill with a wire grill brush and generously grease with oil.
- Grill on the grates for 3 minutes per side, turning once.;Cook just until crisp tender, dont overcook!
Serve immediately. Transfer the zucchini to a platter. For extra flavor, brush with some of the marinade left behind in the bag. Dig in!
You May Like: Does Walmart Assemble Grills For Free
What To Serve With Zucchini
This grilled zucchini recipe can be served year-round because it can be made with squash in the winter AND you can use an indoor grill pan so the better question might be, what not to serve with zucchini?
- Need a side for your comfort food dinner?; Serve grilled zucchini and squash with;Beef Brisket,;Spice Rubbed Steaks,;Baked Pork Tenderloin,French Dips,;Chicken Cordon Bleu;or;Oven Fried Chicken.
How Do You Get The Moisture Out Of Zucchini
To keep the zucchini from making the lasagna too watery, I salted the zucchini and let it sit for about 10 minutes. The salt pulls a lot of the moisture out of the zucchini. I then patted the zucchini slices dry and baked them for 10 minutes to dry them out even more.
Also Check: Temp For Grilled Pork Chops
Do You Want Bells As Well As Whistles
Depending on the pricing, Traegers supply various capabilities as well as upgrades.
With the Timberline, youll be informed when pellets are running reduced with a pellet sensor, as an example.
How To Store And Reheat Grilled Zucchini Recipes
Store any leftover zucchini in an airtight container in the fridge. Do keep in mind that reheated leftover grilled zucchini isnt ever going to be quite as delicious as just-off-the-grill zucchini, but to get it as close to that as possible, we recommend reheating it in a pan on the stove over medium-high heat with a little bit of EVOO.
Grilling completely transforms this zucchini into the perfect summer side dish!
- Amber Goulden
- Yield:Serves 6 to 81x
- Category:Side Dish
- 4 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 lemon
Don’t Miss: How To Clean Porcelain Grill Grates Char Broil
How Do You Choose A Good Zucchini
Look for size, color, and stem. Smaller zucchini are better, as larger ones tend to be watery. When it comes to color, look for vibrant colors whether you are picking out a green zucchini or yellow squash. And last, look for the stem. Having a good amount of stem on your zucchini will help it last longer.
Need something to serve up with your corn on the cob? You may also be interested in these other great grilling recipes:
How To Pick The Best Zucchini
In some cases, like when using zucchini in muffins, cakes, or bread there arent many things you need to look for while picking zucchini.
But when making zucchini that is grilled, sauteed, or roasted, you want to keep a few things in mind:;
You May Like: Can A Propane Grill Be Converted To Natural Gas
How To Serve Grilled Zucchini
Grilled zucchini goes with just about any summer meal, or even fall entrees if you still have plenty of zucchini moving into the fall months. Not only is it a great side dish, but grilled zucchini is perfect mixed into other recipes.
Here are some great ways to serve grilled zucchini:
- Cut up grilled zucchini and mix it with other grilled veggies for a grilled veggie salad.
- Make some bean-free zucchini hummus with grilled zucchini instead of roasted zucchini.
How Do You Keep Zucchini From Going Bad
To store zucchini in the fridge, keep the squash whole, dry and unwashed. Store them in a plastic or paper bag with one end open to encourage air circulation, and pop them in the refrigerator crisper drawer. Theyll keep there for 1 to 2 weeks, though youll probably see the skin start to shrivel over time.
You May Like: Temperature To Cook Pork Tenderloin On Grill
How Thick Should You Slice The Zucchini And Squash
I recommend slices around 1/2 inch thick and no thinner than 1/3 inch. If your slices are too thin theyll cook too quickly and may stick to the grill. Thicker slices will require more cook time. The most important thing is to try to keep your slices the same so everything cooks evenly and in the same amount of time.
This Grilled Zucchini Recipe Is A Quick Easy Versatile Prep Ahead Side Dish That Will Knock Your Socks Off Plus It Goes Well With Anything
This grilled zucchini is an essential, epic side dish that will win over even the toughest zucchini critics it might even upstage the main course!; It transforms plain, humble zucchini into a bright yet simple, elevated, side laced with lemon, garlic and Italian seasonings.; The recipe is simple to make by tossing all the ingredients together then grilling outdoors or on an indoor grill pan. This grilled zucchini and squash is also fabulous to make for company because its vegan, gluten-free, low carb, keto and Whole30 friendly win, win, win!; Ive also included several seasoning/flavor variations so you can mix up this recipe to suit your mood. And bonus, this grilled zucchini recipe works with summer squash as well!; Serve your grilled zucchini alongside all your favorite cookout foods like NY Strip Steak, Best Burgers and Balsamic Chicken for a tasty meal everyone will be raving about.
Zucchini is a versatile, mild mannered vegetable that can be dressed up in all sorts of ways. We particularly love it in zucchini lasagna, zucchini casserole, and cilantro lime shrimp zucchini boats, and of course, grilled zucchini for a charming side.
Also Check: Starting A Weber Charcoal Grill
What’s The Best Way To Cut Zucchini For Grilling
There really isn’t a wrong way to cut zucchini for grilling, but the way you cut it will affect how to grill the zucchini and how long it takes. Here are the main options and considerations:
- Zucchini Spears: Cut the zucchini in half and then cut in half again into quarters. For the easiest option, leave the spears long to ensure they don’t fall through the grill grates. If using a basket or foil, you can cut them in half lengthwise for a smaller spear.
- Zucchini Planks: Cut both ends off of the zucchini. Hold the zucchini lengthwise and cut into 1/2-3/4 inch thick planks. This is a great option for grilling directly on the grates since it won’t fall through.
- Zucchini Halves: For smaller zucchini, you can simply cut them in half lengthwise. This only works with small zucchini. Larger zucchini will need to be cut into quarters or the outside will burn before the inside becomes tender. And extra large zucchini may need to be cut into eights or even sixteenths.;
- Zucchini Coins: For larger zucchini, coins can be a great option. Simply cut the zucchini, in a slight diagonal, into large coins or circles. For smaller zucchini, this option can also work, but you will need to cook the zucchini in a grill basket or on foil so it doesn’t fall through the grates.
How Long Do You Grill Zucchini
Zucchini will take about 10 minutes to grill on medium heat, with the grill between 350-375 degrees. This is the ideal temperature for grilling zucchini so that the zucchini doesn’t burn on the outside before it is cooked through.;
For thinner sliced zucchini, like those cut into thin planks or coins, they may cook more quickly needing just 3-4 minutes per side.
Whenever you are grilling zucchini, you will want to flip it over so that you can get grill marks and that delicious charred taste on both sides.
You May Like: Do Weber Grills Come Assembled
Barbecuing Smoking As Well As Baking
There is even more to the Traeger than grilling as well as smoking. You can also prepare delicious treats, side meals, and drinks in addition to meats and vegs. How To Grill Large Zucchini On A Traeger
You have this alternative with the Traeger grilling system.
With the Traeger, you can grill things like fruit pies effectively, something you wouldnt be able to perform with a gas grill.
How Do I Make Grilled Zucchini
Crazy simple to make.
- Prep the Zucchini -Simply make certain that your zucchini is washed and dried and then cut off both ends and split down the middle.
- Preheat your Grill Set your grill temperature to about 400 degrees.
- Mix Ingredients Add all the ingredients in a bag and combine, then add in your zucchini. Toss everything in the bag so the zucchini
Mix together, then place the zucchini on the grill. Youll want to flip the zucchini every 4-5 minutes but they should be grilled to perfection in about 10-12 minutes.
Don’t Miss: How To Clean Gas Grill Burners
Benefits Of Eating Zucchini
It contains a wide variety of vitamins and minerals. Cooked zucchini specifically, has high amounts of vitamin A.;
It’s also very rich in antioxidants that protect your body from damage by free radicals. These antioxidants help your eyes, skin, and heart. Some research has found that the skin of the zucchini contains the highest levels of antioxidants.;
You can see that I left the skin on the spears for grilling.
This grilled zucchini recipe is easy and delicious made with ingredients you likely already have in your pantry.;
What Size Zucchini Is Best For Grilling
- The ideal size zucchini for grilling is what I call medium large. That would be 7 to 8 inches long.;
- But you can grill zucchini that is bigger if you happen to have it.;
- I dont recommend grilling the mega zucchinis that you left for too long and are the size of a chiuaua. They are too punky and seedy. Instead use them to make zucchini soup.
Read Also: Are Char Broil Grills Good
How Long Do Zucchini Take On The Grill On Skewers
Zucchini can be cooked on skewers by itself or alongside other vegetables. Zucchini takes 10 to 15 minutes to get tender, so if you are using other vegetables on your skewer or meats, look for vegetables with similar cooking times like tomatoes, mushrooms, bell peppers, chicken, and steak cuts of beef.
How Do You Grill Zucchini
- Cutting the zucchini is the hardest part of the entire recipe. In other words it isn’t hard.
- Cut the ends off and then in half, lengthwise.
- Then cut those halves into halves or thirds. Place in a casserole.
- Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic, and Italian seasoning until well combined.
- Add zucchini to rectangle pan or large bowl and toss with the olive oil mixture to coat.
- Now add the olive oil mixture to the prepared veggies and toss with a spatula or your hands to coat well.
- Heat your grill to medium-high heat.;Be sure to brush your grill grates with olive oil, so that your zucchini doesn’t stick to the grill.
- Place it on the grill for three to four minutes.;
- For the best results, I recommend putting it skin side down for two minutes, then flip it on the grill them for a few more minutes.
Remove the zucchini from the grill, place them on a serving platter and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and parsley .
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Grilled Cheese On Stove