Maple Bacon Wrapped Scallops
These maple bacon wrapped scallops are the best tasty appetizer to be served at parties and small gatherings. You might wanna try them out.
1. ¾ cup real maple syrup
2. 12 slices of bacon
3. 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
4. ¼ cup soy sauce
5. 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
6. 12 large sea scallops.
Step by step instructions
1. Whisk together maple syrup, as well as the mustard and soy sauce.
2. Add scallops and marinate an hour.
3. Cook the bacon partially. Note that it should still be pliable.
Allow it cool slightly.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
5. Line baking sheet with foil. This is done for easier clean up.
6. Wrap a slice of bacon around each scallop using a toothpick to secure.
7. Place on baking sheet and sprinkle with brown sugar.
8. Bake till scallops are opaque and bacon is crisp . This should only take about 10-15 minutes, turning at the half way point.
How To Grill Bacon Wrapped Scallops
Grill on medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes.Grill until scallops are cooked through, 3 to 4 more min.Heat the same pan where the scallops were fried.In less than 30 minutes you can cook bacon.
In the skillet that are deep enough to shallow frying the scallops, pour the vegetable oil just enough to cover the scallops .Keep turning the scallops until the bacon becomes charred, brown and slightly crispy.Lay bacon on a baking sheet in a single layer.Next drizzle the lemon juice over the scallops, and then place them on a baking tray.
Next drizzle the lemon juice over the scallops, and then place them on a baking tray.Oil grill, then barbecue skewers, lid closed, 3 min.Once your bacon has cooled enough to handle, wrap your scallops in the bacon and skewer them.Parcooking the bacon in the microwave rendered some of the fat, preventing.
Place the scallops on the preheated grill.Preheat oven to 350 degrees f.Preheat to 400f.cut the bacon rashers in half, wrap each half around a scallop and use a toothpick to keep it in place.Preheat to 400f.cut the bacon rashers in half, wrap each half around a scallop and use a toothpick to keep it in place.
Remove from oven and let cool slightly.Round wooden toothpicks, soaked in water for 30 minutes.Rub the scallops with the mustard.Salt and ground black pepper.
How To Cook Sea Scallops
Sea scallops are a special treasure of the sea. They are delicate and tender with a natural sweetness and creamy texture that melts in your mouth. If you overcook them they will become chewy and rubbery.
Cooking these on the grill with some fruit hard woods allows them to soak up the smoky flavor but they can also be cooked many other ways, broiled, pan seared, grilled and even deep-fried.
Recommended Reading: How To Convert Gas Grill To Natural Gas
Grilled Bacon Wrapped Scallops
Everything is better with bacon, and this recipe is no exception! These scallops are grilled over charcoal and cherry hardwood with a brush of alder wood smoked maple syrup, which imparts a sweet and subtle smoky flavor to the shellfish. The alder wood smoked maple syrup compliments the cherry smoke from the grill and provides just enough sweetness to not overpower the scallop.
How To Buy Scallops
You want to use the larger sea scallops for this recipe, not the small bay scallops. Look for scallops that are uniform in size and color and smell fresh they shouldnt have an overly fishy aroma. You can often find fresh scallops at the seafood counter of your local grocery store. Frozen scallops work well too, just make sure theyre completely thawed and patted dry before you use them.
Read Also: How To Cook Bacon On The Grill
Other Delicious Scallops Recipes
We like to add different fruits and vegetables to individual skewers, because they will all take different times to cook. Some of the larger, more dense veges, like canned potatoes or zucchini, will take considerably longer than smalller veges, such as peppers.
Dont forget to sign up to my newsletter, so that you dont miss any new recipes! Only 1 email per week, on Fridays! Sign up form is below!
If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it in the comments below! I would love to hear from you!Also, dont forget to FOLLOW ME on , , and !
How To Make Bacon
Step 1: Make the Sauce
In a medium bowl, whisk together the teriyaki sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, salt, and pepper. Pour half of the mixture into a separate bowl and set both bowls of sauce aside. One will be used to baste the ingredients before grilling; the other will be used to baste the cooked skewers before serving.
Step 2 – Thread the Ingredients onto Skewers
Wrap each piece of scallop with one half of a bacon slice. Thread the bacon-wrapped scallop onto a skewer so that the skewer helps hold the bacon in place. Then thread one piece of pineapple. Repeat the process again, so that you have two sets of bacon-wrapped scallops plus pineapple on each skewer.
Step 3: Baste the Ingredients
With a pastry brush using sauce from one of the bowls, baste both sides of the skewered bacon-wrapped scallops and pineapples. Wash and dry the pastry brush and put the remaining teriyaki sauce from that bowl away.
Step 4: Grill the scallops
Grill the skewers, uncovered, on medium-high for 3 to 4 minutes per side. When the skewers are done cooking, use the teriyaki sauce from the other, remaining bowl of sauce and baste both sides of the cooked skewers with a nice thick layer of sauce.
Recommended Reading: How To Grill Frozen Salmon
What To Serve With Scallops
- Spinach Salad with bacon dressing
Did you try these Bacon Wrapped Scallops? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!;
- 6slicesbacon*can vary, see note
- 12large sea scallopsnot bay scallops
- Place short wooden skewers in water to soak for 30 minutes.
- Place bacon in a frying pan and cook about 3-4 minute per side or until just slightly cooked and some of the fat has rendered out. Bacon should not be crisp.
- Dab scallops dry with paper towels and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Wrap bacon around the scallops and thread 3 scallops onto each skewer.
- Melt butter and mix with garlic, parsley and lemon pepper. Brush over scallops.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Add scallop skewers and grill 6-8 minutes or just until bacon is crispy. Do not overcook.
- Place oven rack 6 from the broiler. Line a pan with foil. Place scallops on prepared pan and broil 8-10 minutes, flipping over after 3 minutes. Cook just until bacon is crisp and scallops are cooked through, do not overcook.
- Place scallops into an air fryer at 350°F for 11-13 minutes. Cook just until bacon is crisp and scallop is cooked. Do not overcook.
Tips For Bacon Wrapped Scallops
- Choose the largest scallops that you can afford. Larger scallops are easier to wrap with bacon and they wont overcook as the bacon crisps up.
- Make sure to use a regular cut of bacon thick cut bacon will take too long to cook through.
- You can serve your scallops with the toothpicks intact as an appetizer, or remove the toothpicks if youre planning to serve them as a main course.
- This recipe also works well with shrimp!
Don’t Miss: How To Grill Boneless Chicken Breast
Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Scallops
Scallops are so meaty and delicious, and take just minutes to cook which makes this a perfect fast weeknight dish. Making them in the air fryer, the scallops come out perfectly juicy and tender on the inside, with crisp golden bacon on the outside in under 10 minutes. If your not a scallop fan, you may also like these Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites.
I have been craving bacon wrapped scallops forever and finally decided to test them out in the air fryer. Playing around with them in my kitchen, I found partially cooking the bacon before wrapping the scallops gives you the best results for perfectly cooked scallops and crisp, bacon.
How To Cook Bacon Wrapped Scallops
Quick and easy these turn out perfect every time!
For grilling: Grill on medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes.
For broiling: Set under the broiler for 8 to 10 minutes, turning halfway.
For air frying: Cook for 11 to 13 minutes.
The bacon is pre-cooked partway before wrapping. This allows the bacon to crisp up without overcooking the scallops.
Don’t Miss: How To Steak On Grill
How To Make Bacon Wrapped Scallops
Step 1:;Preheat oven to 425°F. Pat scallops dry with a paper towel and remove any side muscles.
Step 2: Wrap each scallop with ½ slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick.
Step 3: Drizzle olive oil over scallops and season with pepper and kosher salt.
Step 4:;Arrange scallops in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Step 5: Bake in a;425°F oven for 12 to 15 minutes, depending on scallop size and bacon thickness. Serve hot!
Are Bacon Wrapped Scallops Good Reheated
It is best to just cook enough scallops to serve them right off of the grill. If you have leftovers, refrigerate, after scallops have cooled. I never warm mine up. They are sure to get rubbery and tough. Eat them cold on top of a nice bed of greens, for lunch or dinner the next day. Discard after 2 days, if not eaten.
Don’t Miss: What Temp Do I Grill Steak
How To Get Perfect Crunchy Bacon Wrapped Scallops
Bacon is one of the most hands-down delicious things on earth – but bacon that is soggy, limp, and hasn’t been rendered is not good – but getting bacon cooked perfectly without drying out scallops can be a bit tricky!
Bacon browns and crisps up at a much slower pace than what it takes to cook scallops, which need to be cooked very hot and very fast to keep their clean, sweet flavor and springy soft texture.
To combat this, I pre-cook my bacon – so it is browned, but still pliable and soft. I like to think of cooking the bacon to ¾ the way cooked – so it will just need to crisp up as your scallops cook.
After I pre-brown some bacon, I will then wrap it around the scallop and secure it with a toothpick.
The bacon isn’t done yet, but this will dramatically reduce cook time so you’re not forced to dry out your scallops which will give them a fishier flavor and tough texture.
How To Make Bacon Wrapped Scallops On The Grill
To make perfect bacon wrapped scallops on the grill, it is important to make sure that the bacon is wrapped tightly around the scallops. The wooden skewers will help to hold the bacon in place.
As your appetizers cook on the grill, remember to keep turning the skewers. As a result, you will have an even char across the entire strip of bacon.
To get the best char on the bacon, turn the skewers sideways, so the bacon is in direct contact with the heat source.
Last but not least, do not overcook the scallops as they might lose all the natural sweetness and become rubbery. It takes about 4 to 6 minutes to grill them; 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Don’t Miss: How To Grill Bbq Chicken
Fresh Or Frozen Sea Scallops
If you cannot find any fresh sea scallops then you can always use frozen sea scallops instead. If your scallops are frozen then first thaw them on a wire rack on top of a baking sheet. Place a sheet of parchment paper over them and set in the refrigerator overnight to thaw.
Whether you are using fresh or frozen scallops you will want to ensure that you pat them dry before cooking. The dryer they are, the more they will brown and the better the crust on the surface.
Reasons To Fall In Love With Air Frying:
- Food comes out so much crispier than it does in my oven.
- It takes only three minutes to preheat, it doesnt heat up the kitchen.
- Its safer and healthier than deep frying and it doesnt smoke up the whole house.
- The air fryer has now replaced my oven on most weekdays and nights, whether making hard boiled eggs, whipping up a side dish, heating up leftovers, or making dinner.
Read Also: How To Use Outdoor Grill
Bacon Wrapped Scallops Sauce
Who hasnt tried the rich taste of bacon, most especially when garnished with a delicious sauce? Bacon wrapped scallops gives you its best taste when topped with a delicious sauce. Therefore, Ill be introducing you to the Lemon Garlic Butter sauce. Oh, I love it! The combination of bacon wrapped scallops with the Lemon Garlic Butter sauce is like a match made from heaven. I can assure you that nothing tastes better than those succulentscallops wrapped in bacon and this delicious sauce!
Prep time: 5 minutes
3. 1 teaspoon lemon juice
4. 8 strips of bacon
5. 1 teaspoon garlic powder
Note: All ingredients can be added to your shopping list.
Step by step instructions
1. Wrap each scallop with a strip of bacon then secure them by using a wooden toothpick.
2. Heat a frying pan then pour in the butter and allow to melt.
3. Fry the bacon-wrapped scallops for just 3 minutes, then turn to the other side and do the same.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
5. Bake the fried bacon-wrapped scallops for nothing less than 15 minutes.
6. Heat the same pan where the scallops were fried.
7. With the remaining butter, sprinklethe garlic powder and pour the lemon juice. Cook for just a minute before turning off the heat.
8. Now arrange the baked bacon-wrapped scallops in a serving plate, then top with lemon garlic butter sauce.
9. Serve immediately to enjoy better!
What To Serve With Bacon
If you are lucky and everyone still has room for the main course after this wonderful appetizer, then I have a few suggestions.
Recommended Reading: Are Weber Grill Covers Worth The Money
How Do You Make Bacon Wrapped Scallops
This recipe calls for scallops, bacon, maple syrup, garlic powder, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Thats all there is to it! Each scallop is wrapped in half a slice of bacon and then secured with a toothpick. The remaining ingredients are mixed together to form a sweet and savory glaze that gets brushed over the scallops as they cook. Add a sprinkle of herbs, then serve and enjoy.
Should You Use Thick Or Thin
I prefer the more thinly sliced bacon for this recipe. It is easier to crisp without ruining the scallop by overcooking. However, you can thick-cut bacon. If you do, I recommend par-cooking the bacon until it is just lightly cooked. Think, fat starting to render but not crisp at all yet. The easiest way to par-cook bacon is on a parchment-lined sheet either in your Traeger or in your oven.;
With the thick-cut bacon, make sure there is a bit of overlap for the skewer. The bacon should be par cooked. This means to cook it to where the fat is slightly translucent, the meat just getting a bit of browning but still the deep reddish brick color. Again, you will be looking to actually crisp it up when it is around your scallops, hugging them like a bacon blanket.
Recommended Reading: Why Are Evo Grills So Expensive
Seared Scallops With Bacon
Bacon and scallops are a classic combination. Here, the smoky-and-sweet pairing is used as a savory topping for our Sauteed Zucchini and Wax Beans.
Provided by Martha Stewart
|6 slices bacon, cut into 3/4-inch pieces|
|1 pound large sea scallops, , sliced in half crosswise to form 2 rounds|
|Salt and freshly ground pepper|
|2 tablespoons minced shallot,|
|1 cup white wine|
|2 tablespoons unsalted butter|
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-low heat, and add bacon. Cook slowly, stirring frequently, until brown and crisp, about 8 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon, and transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Drain excess fat, leaving a thin coat on bottom of pan. Increase heat to medium, add scallops to pan, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until golden brown and opaque, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer scallops to the serving dish, and add shallots to pan. When shallots are translucent, add white wine; scrape browned bits from bottom of pan with a wooden spoon. Cook until liquid is reduced by half, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in butter, and pour over scallops; top with reserved bacon. Serve over ribbon zucchini.
Brown Sugar Bacon Wrapped Scallops Recipe
Published: · · About 5 minutes to read this article.
Brown Sugar Bacon Wrapped Scallops Recipe – these scallops wrapped in bacon and topped with brown sugar is the most delicious bacon wrapped scallop recipe ever!
I love delicious, sweet, salty, and springy scallops – they are hands-down on of my all time favorite foods.
Scallops are amazing with very little work – though they can be a bit tricky if you’re just learning to cook them.
Luckily, I’m adding a ton of easy tips and tricks to make these amazing bacon wrapped scallops in a brown sugar glaze – so you don’t need any experience in the kitchen for a restaurant quality scallop dish!
At Sweet C’s we have lots of types of readers – those who would like lots of information with their recipe, some who need a few extra tips and tricks, and some who’d like to get straight to cooking.
We’ve included a clickable table of contents below that will take you directly to the section you’d like to read, and a skip to recipe button in the top left corner to help you navigate this information quickly.
Also Check: How Do I Grill Chicken