Grill Setup For Grilling Chicken
You can NOT cook chicken properly on high heat. You will dry the outside long before the inside is even close to done or safe.
I suggest a grill surface temperature of about 450°. A little less is fine, and a smidge more is OK but never over 500°.
To get this right, you usually should have a grill surface thermometer. The hood thermometer is ALWAYS wrong.
If you don’t have a surface thermometer , medium will be about 400°-450° on most gas grills. The cooking time will be different, but as long as you get the end-point of 165° correct with an instant-read thermometer, you will do ok.
Can I do this on a charcoal grill? Yes, but you need to be very careful about surface temperature. And, of course, times will vary. On most charcoal grills, you will need to adjust the venting.
How To Grill Chicken Breasts That Are Sooo Juicy
This post may contain affiliate links.
Learn the method for how to grill chicken breasts that are juicy, and never ever dried out.
Everybody loves chicken, and all cooks love a good chicken How-To. I know this because the most popular post on this site is How To Cook Chicken Breasts From Frozen and the most popular post on my sister site, TheCookful, is How To Bake Chicken Wings That Are Sooo Crispy. With summer and grilling season coming up, I thought it would therefore be a good time to tackle that real conundrum of how to grill chicken breasts that are juicy, every time.
The thing about chicken breasts is that they are not typically of an even thickness. This means that the thinnest part tends to dry out before the thickest part is cooked all the way through. There is only one way to fix this and it involves a tiny bit of work, but not hard work. Dont worry!
What youre going to do is flatten the chicken out to an even thickness, then marinate them a bit for flavor, and then grill for as short a time as possible. Heres how!
Grilled Chicken Breast Marinade
Spoiler alert! The best grilled chicken breast marinade isnt an exact pre-measured packet of sauce that you buy at the store. The perfect grilled chicken marinade is one that you can customize yourself.
Every great marinade has 5 key elements that make your chicken absolutely lip-smacking and the best part is that you can build it to your liking. The basic recipe looks like this:
- Acid. White wine vinegar goes great with chicken but other vinegars, wines, fruit juices, Worcestershire sauce or a combination of these are tasty options as well.
- Fat or oil. This recipe uses olive oil, a solid choice, but you can use other affordable options here as well
- Flavor and seasonings Snag some pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic, and Parmesan cheese for this recipe, or add your own favorite fresh herbs, garlic, ginger, or peppers.
- Salt. Tossing in some good ol kosher salt or sea salt is a great option. You can also use savory ingredients like soy sauce to add some salt to your marinade.
- Sugar. White sugar is all you need for this recipe, but Im fond of using brown sugar, honey, or molasses in my marinades as well.
You May Like: Best Temp To Grill Shrimp
Is Organic Chicken Better When Grilling Chicken Breast
When it comes to cooking chicken breasts, there is no difference between organic and non-organic chicken. Organic means that the birds are raised without pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, additives or animal by-products, and have access to the outdoors. But, it doesnt necessarily mean that the chicken is healthier for you, tastes better or will cook better. Heres more on how to read the labels on a pack of chicken.
What Can Be The Best Internal Temperature For Cooking Chicken Tenders On A Gas Grill
In case you need only one ideal temperature for cooking chicken tenders that might be 165 degrees F or 75 degrees C. It is the minimum safe internal temperature of the chicken to cook on a gas grill.
Meanwhile, when you want to cook the legs and thighs of chicken a little bit longer, you can certainly go for it. As you may know, they are safe to eat. However, some recipes available on the internet may tell you to cut the meat and if your juices run clear, the chicken is completely cooked.
But clear juices are not a very reliable indicator of meat doneness. And do not have to depend on it at all. According to the age of the chicken, juices may not run very clear unless it may get overcooked.
Read Also: Pork Tenderloin Cook Time Grill
How Do You Keep Chicken From Burning On The Grill
5 Pro Tips for Grilled Chicken
Tips For How To Grill Chicken Without Drying It Out
Grilled chicken is an incredibly versatile food. I am a huge fan of the flavor and protein boost that grilled chicken can add to just about any meal, from salad to stir fry to sandwiches, creating an incredible meal.
However, theres an issue with grilled chicken: its often incredibly dry. Overdry, stringy chicken is far from incrediblemore like barely edible. Not exactly the stuff of culinary dreams.
Luckily, attaining perfectly moist, evenly cooked, flavorful grilled chicken is within reach for chefs at any level. By following some simple kitchen wisdom in the ways of grilling chicken, youll be guaranteed great results every time.
14 Tips for How to Grill Chicken without Drying It Out. Armed with these 14 simple tips, youll be well on your way to concocting perfectly moist grilled chicken dishes.
Buy the best chicken you can, from a trusted and ideally local source. The better the quality of the chicken you start with, the better the quality of your finished results. This guide is a helpful resource on how to buy the best chicken.
Don’t Miss: Best Grill Temp For Pork Chops
Ready To Hit The Grill
Us too! Try some of PWWBs Top Grilling Recipes ASAP!:
- PWWB Go-To Grilling Marinades 15 go-to recipes youll turn to time & time again, all summer long!
- Easy Grilled Veggies How to grill pretty much any vegetable. Vegan-friendly!
- The Very BEST Grilled BBQ Chicken A summertime classic perfected, thanks to a few simple steps that yield the juiciest, most flavorful BBQ chicken ever.
- Absolutely PERFECT Grilled Buffalo Wings Crispy buffalo perfection. Made with just 3 simple ingredients, grilled chicken wings could not be easier!
- Grilled Black Bean Burgers Burgers arent just for meat-lovers! These grilled veggie burgers are hearty, textural & grill up like a dream!
- Best-Ever Grilled Turkey Burgers Kiss everything you think you know about turkey burgers goodbye. The juiciest, most flavorful grilled turkey burgers youll ever eat!
- PWWB House Burgers The easy French Onion Burgers that were obsessed with at the PWWB House!
- Grilled Wisconsin Beer Brats The easiest Wisconsin-style beer brats, yielding perfectly juicy & crisp brats every time!
- Grilled SausageHow to grill sausage perfectly, every single time! This simple method can translate into dozens of delicious & easy summer dinners no flare ups here!
- Grilled Tuscan Steak Perfectly juicy grilled steak, seasoned with Tuscan-style aromatics. The ultimate grilled steak dinner!
Follow along with Plays Well With Butter on , , & for more easy, modern recipes & fun!
The Best Bbq Chicken Calls For The Simplest Ingredients
The best thing about grilled BBQ chicken is the fact that youve likely got everything you need to make it on hand at any point in time. Absolutely necessary for any summer staple!
The cast of characters includes :
- chicken You can use whatever chicken parts you love most for this BBQ chicken recipe: breasts, drumsticks, wings, leg quarters, thighs it all works! Personally, I have a thing for chicken thighs I think theyre the tastiest, most flavorful & juicy part of the chicken.
- beer or buttermilk, used for a quick BBQ chicken marinade. Both are delicious in their own right. Beer lends an awesome funky flavor , while buttermilk tenderizes the chicken. Use whatever youve got on hand or whatever youre in the mood for.
- spices, like chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, mustard powder, onion powder, & smoked paprika, which, when combined with a little bit of brown sugar, create the easiest & most delicious dry rub for chicken. I buy all my spices & staples at ALDI. Theyre super high quality, fragrant & full-flavored, & totally affordable.
- BBQ sauce Use your fave! You can, of course, make your own BBQ sauce from scratch. With so many amazing bottled BBQ sauces out there, I always opt to just grab something from the store. The Burmans BBQ sauces at ALDI are my personal favorite. With a variety for each major BBQ region , its fun to pick & choose what youre in the mood for whenever you make grilled BBQ chicken. I always keep a bottle of each stocked in my pantry.
Recommended Reading: How Long To Grill Skinless Salmon
Do You Grill Chicken Drumsticks On Direct Or Indirect Heat
People are confused about how to properly grill chicken drumsticks. There are two main ways to do that on a grill, and it is either you grill the chicken directly on the heat or with indirect heat.
However, there is a way to grill the chicken without them drying out. First, you will need to cook them over direct heat for the first 8 minutes and flipping them regularly to prevent burning them.
After cooking them over direct heat, you can switch to low and slow cooking by finishing the chicken drumsticks over indirect heat for 7 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
How Can You Tell When Grilled Chicken Breast Is Done Without A Thermometer
The safest, and only foolproof, way to check if chicken is done cooking is with a meat thermometer.
If you dont have a meat thermometer, you can test doneness by cutting into the thickest part of the chicken. If the meat is completely white and the juices run clear, the chicken should be done cooking. However, this can cause your chicken to dry out and doesnt prevent overcooking the chicken.
Now that you know how to grill chicken breasts, check out our best grilled chicken recipes.
Read Also: Temperature For Grilled Pork Chops
How Long Should You Let The Chicken Rest Before Grilling How About After Grilling
You might know about letting meat rest after cooking, but you should also be letting chicken rest pre-grilling, too. Before you toss a slab of chicken on the grill, let the poultry come to room temperature for about 15 minutes.
“If you put cold chicken on the grill, the heat will dry out the chicken before the inside is done,” explains Sidoti. “Room temperature meat cooks more evenly and fewer juices will leak while cooking.”
This same concept can be applied to red meat, so make sure to let burgers rest before you begin flipping them on the grill so that they come out tender and juicy as well.
After the chicken is done, you’ll want to remove the meat from the grill and onto a plate where it will finish cooking as it rests. Think of it as a mandatory last stop before you tear your knife into it. Sidoti says to let the chicken rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing into it to prevent the juices from spilling out.
Time For Chicken Barbecue On Charcoal:
- The base safe inside temperature for grilling chicken leg pieces is 165 degrees Fahrenheit. There is a dissimilarity among got and done.. The pork is ensured at 145 degrees Fahrenheit. In any case, you sure will not require your pulled pork to be cooked to 145°. It could be unpleasant.
- In like manner, I estimate that it may even be underneath the secured most insignificant temperature since the pinkness disappears at approximately 155 degrees Fahrenheit.
Recommended Reading: Coleman Roadtrip 285 Water Pan
How Long Does It Take To Grill A Whole Chicken
A whole 6-pound chicken will take 105 minutes to 150 minutes.
The efficiency of your BBQ, ambient temperature and starting temperature of the chicken contribute to the overall cooking time.
Whether you grill it upright in a beer can chicken recipe, or on its back, the preferred temperature range for your grill is 200-300 °F . This is a long, slow cooking process, that will take approximately 1-1/2 to 2 hours, depending on the size of the bird and how well your grill maintains temperature.
However, if you spatchcock the chicken, you can reduce the time significantly!
If you spatchcok a chicken, because the overall thickness of any part is severely reduced, and heat can get more readily to every part of the bird, you can reduce the cooking time for a whole bird down to 30 to 40 minutes!
Just remember thermometer tells you when the chicken is done, not the clock! Use a reliable thermometer and make sure every part is cooked to 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Which Parts Of Chicken Wings Do People Always Cook
If you purchase fresh chicken wings from a butcher, chicken wing parts can be pre-sliced into two pieces, leaving wing tips to be used for creating chicken broth later.
The two parts of chicken wings people cook most are drums and flats. However, wing tips are favored by some for their crispy texture after cooking. Your local butcher may also debone the drums and flats if preferred.
If you purchase chicken wings from a grocer, depending on the grocer, you need to remove the wings from the whole chicken and use the remainder of the chicken for grilling, soups or roasting in the oven.
Today most grocers sell chicken wings packaged with and without wing tips. If packaged with wing tips included, there is an easy way to remove the tips. Look for the joint attached to the joined flat and drum.
This is also the best way to separate flats and drums. Use a sharp knife to cut through at the joints. Now, the chicken wings are ready for the next step: the grilling recipe.
Read Also: What Temp For Burgers On Traeger
How Long To Grill Chicken At 350
When grilling 6-to-8-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts, at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, it will take approximately 10 to 12 minutes using direct heat.
The larger the breast, the longer it will take to cook. Additionally, chicken with the bone-in will take longer to grill. 350 degrees is a great medium heat. If you prefer cooking at this temperature, here is a great guide on how grilling times for various cuts of chicken.
Grilling from frozen? Increase grilling time by 50 percent.
Average Grilling Times for all Chicken Cuts at 350 Degrees Fahrenheit
Use this as a reference for average grilling times for various size pieces of chicken
Chicken breast, boneless, skinless. 6 to 8 ounces. Grill using direct heat between 8 and 12 minutes
Thigh, boneless, skinless. 4 ounces. Grill using direct heat 8 to 10 minutes
Chicken wings. 3 ounces. Grill using direct heat 18 to 20 minutes medium heat
Chicken breast, bone-in. 10 to 12 ounces. Grill using indirect heat 30 to 40 minutes medium heat
Leg or thigh, bone-in. 6 ounces. Grill using indirect heat30 to 40 minutes
Whole chicken. 4 to 5 Pounds. Grill using indirect heat 1 1/2 to 2 hours
How To Grill Chicken Thighs And Drumsticks
The frequently used thighs and legs of a chicken result in the succulent fat-laden dark meat thighs and drumsticks. Harder to overcook and, in my opinion, more flavorful than breasts, thighs and drumsticks are among my favorite cuts to grill. Heres what to do:
Also Check: Get Grease Out Of Concrete
How To Grill Chicken Breasts
Step One: pat your boneless, skinless chicken breasts dry with a clean paper towel.
Step Two: season with either salt and pepper or with a fun seasoning!
Or, you can use a marinade of your choosing!
Step Three: Ensure gill grates are clean and preheat grill to medium/medium-high heat.
Step Four: cook over direct heat for approximately 4-5 minutes per side. Then, move over to indirect heat for an additional 5-10 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees at its thickest point. Then remove from grill and let the chicken rest 5-10 minutes .
When Are Chicken Legs Done On The Grill
Chicken drumsticks are very easy to make. When you are grilling the chicken legs, it will demand approximately 15to20 minutes the wizardry number is really in the warmth of the chicken. You realize your barbecued chicken leg pieces are thoroughly cooked when the inner heat arrives at 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Remember that when youre grilling chicken legs on the barbecue and need to observe for doneness, simply puncture deep down with a blade. The chicken is done when its fluids come out.
Don’t Miss: What Temperature For Pork Chops On The Grill