How Long Do You Grill Chicken At 300 Degrees
Whether you grill it upright for beer can chicken, or on its back, the preferred temperature range for your grill is 200-300°F . This is a long, slow cooking process, that will take approximately 1- 1/2 to 2 hours, depending on the size of the bird and how well your grill maintains temperature.
What Can You Use Beer For
Discover how you can use beer for everything from beauty to DIY in the list below. Use beer to revive wood. Beer can chicken. Put out a fire with beer. Deter slugs & snails. Treat brown lawn spots with beer. Beer hair treatment. Lift coffee/tea carpet stains. Beer could calm your upset stomach.
What Kind Of Beer Is Best For Beer Can Chicken
Theres no need to be all fancy and money-wasting here, using your favorite craft beer. Although your beer butt chicken will most certainly still turn out wonderful if you do.
Weve been using Blakes lawn mowing beer. We keep it cold in our second fridge every summer, solely for the purpose of having a light beer to quench Blakes thirst after mowing the yard.
A bonus with this particular beer, is that it has a tall, skinny can. There are other lawn mowing beers that feature this kind of can, too. I like how the taller can sits inside the beer can chicken holder, helping to prop the chicken up just a bit higher.
Read Also: Which Is The Best Traeger Grill To Buy
What Temperature Is Chicken Done At
Chicken is ready to eat when a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 165 degrees F. The chicken should not be pink inside, and the juices should run clear. I use a digital thermometer with a remote so that I can monitor the progress of the chicken as it cooks. Place the probe in the thickest part of the breast or in the bottom of the thigh.
How Do You Cook Chicken On A Weber Charcoal Grill
When you grill the chicken, make sure you grill its skin side first. Grill it over indirect heat and keep the lid closed. It should take around 30 to 40 minutes for the wings and breast to be cooked. As for the thighs and drumsticks, they should take around 40 to 50 minutes.
Also Check: What Is The Best Pellet Grill For The Money
Everything You Need To Know For The Best Beer Can Chicken
Follow these tips, and youll be set up for success.
- Season the chicken well. Season the chicken inside and out with a dry rub of salt, paprika, thyme, and cumin.
- Empty half of the beer. You need some headspace in the can to create steam for cooking the inside of the chicken. You can reserve 1/4 cup for basting the chicken later, or just drink the poured off beer.
- Set your beer can chicken in a pan. You dont need a fancy beer can chicken holder, just a simple 9×13 metal pan. Set the beer in this pan and the lower the chicken onto the beer this will not only help you transfer the chicken from the kitchen to the grill without spilling, but it will also catch the chicken and the beer if things get topsy on the grill.
- Cook the chicken over indirect heat. Beer can chicken takes about an hour of total cook time so youre essentially setting your grill up to be an oven for slow roasting. Depending on your grill, this could mean setting all the coals to one side on your charcoal grill or lighting half of your gas grill burners to high while the others stay off. That reserved beer will come in handy for basting the chicken with an easy sauce towards the end of cooking.
What Is The Best Beer For Beer Can Chicken
The best beer for beer can chicken is the kind of beer that youd like to sip while you watch the grill. Imagine a hot day, breeze blowing but plenty of ambient heat from that coal fire whats in your hand? For us, its a lager every time. All-American, mass-produced lagers are the gold standard for beer can chickenstuff like a can of Miller, or a Budwieserbut you dont need to feel married to any one brand. If you can find Stella in a can, or a Montucky Cold Snack or even a good old PBR. Whatever youd actually like to drink about half of before popping your chicken on the grill is the right choice.
Also Check: Are Weber Grills Any Good
How To Use Leftover Beer Can Chicken
You know me. I live for leftovers. I think theyre the biggest gift to our busy schedules. You might even want to consider grilling TWO chickens at the same time, for even more leftovers love!
The chicken breasts are the easiest pieces to slice and save for later.
Here are some suggestions for using the leftover chicken:
- Soup: Oh how I love a good bowl of soup! Try my Thai Chicken Soup, Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup, or this super fun End of Summer Chicken Chili thats loaded with garden harvest goodness. If your family likes pasta and cheese, try my Lemon Chicken Tortellini Soup.
- Salad: Blake and the girls go crazZzZzy for Chinese Chicken Salad. This Chopped Chicken and Couscous Salad with Sweet Basil Dressing is also wonderful. Or top some fresh greens with slices of leftover grilled chicken and drizzle over the top this beautiful Herby Lemon Vinaigrette or my grandmas Fresh Ginger Dressing .
- Mexican: This recipe for Autumn-Spiced Cheddar Chicken Tacos with Apples always gets great reviews. And my sisters Taco Salad with Creamy Taco Dressing and Doritos is on our menu ALOT just swap out the ground beef or turkey for leftover chicken. Or do like our girls do, and make cheesy chicken quesadillas!
- Total comfort: Have you tried this cheesy Chicken Cheesesteak Baked Ziti yet? Its loaded with flavor, so darn good!
How To Make Smoked Beer Can Chicken: A Step
While youre gathering the ingredients and tools for the recipe, go ahead and help yourself to the other half of the beer. Otherwise, you can use it for another recipe or pour it down the sink.
Pro Tip: This recipe can easily be doubled if your smoker is large enough to hold two birds. They may require a little more cooking time, so keep an eye on the temperature during the last half-hour or so.
Also Check: How To Degrease Grill Grates
The Most Flavorful Beer Can Chicken
Beer can chicken is seriously one of our favorite things to make. We love it on the grill and in the oven. Since you cook a whole chicken on top of a can of beer, the end result is both white and dark meat that is so juicy and tender.
What is beer can chicken?;Beer can chicken is a method of cooking chicken where you place the cavity of a whole chicken on top of a can of beer. It can be cooked in the oven or on the grill.;
Is beer can chicken and beer but chicken the same thing?;Yes! Beer butt chicken is just another name for beer can chicken.;
Why should I make beer can chicken? By cooking your chicken on top of a can of beer, you actually infuse the chicken with moisture so that it doesnt dry out.
Sitting It On The Beer Can
Now its time to place the chicken on a beer can stand, if you have one. I purchased one at Lowes for about $5, but this beer can roaster looks a lot sturdier than the one I used.
You dont necessarily need to use a beer stand, but I find it so much easier. Plus you dont have to worry about the chicken falling over and getting beer all over your grill and inside the firepot.
Open the beer can and pour or drink half of it. Using a church key-style can opener, make 4 holes at the top of the can. We used a knife to remove the top of the can.
You can choose to put garlic, onions, seasoning or anything you want inside the beer. This will add some more flavoring to the chicken as it sits on the smoker.
Sit the chicken directly on the beer stand. Fold the wings behind the chicken, and put some more seasoning on it, if you rubbed a lot of it off while working with the beer.
Don’t Miss: What To Grill This Weekend
Juicy Beer Can Chicken
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Beer can chicken is a fun and flavorful way to cook a whole chicken. Whether you make this beer can chicken recipe on the grill or in the oven, it easy to prepare and even easier to cook!;
This beer can chicken recipe calls for a whole chicken, a simple chicken dry rub, and a can of light beer.
Pellet Beer Can Chicken
Our beer can chicken is some of the best chicken youve ever had off the grill. The peaked lid shape of our grills makes it easy to cook multiple beer can chickens for a party or your family. The secret to our success is the beer and tequila we place in the cavity of the chicken to help it steam while cooking. It makes the meat extra tender from inside with the crispy outside we all know and love. This one has been a favorite for grillers in the GMG family and its one of the best recipes to get started on your journey to become a backyard pitmaster!
Recommended Reading: Where Are Memphis Grills Made
Smoked Beer Can Chicken
Chicken and beer;are a natural pairing.;This easy;BBQ beer can chicken;recipe is easy to make, impressive to serve. With tender flavorful meat inside and crispy smoky flavored skin on the outside, it will be the most satisfying bird youve ever had.
Tips For The Perfect Chicken
- I prefer to use my homemade BBQ rub for this recipe. It takes just minutes to put together and can be used on all types of meat and seafood. If you want to save a little time, you can purchase pre-made rub instead.
- Look for an organic chicken, I find that they have a better flavor than conventionally raised chickens.
- Poke a few holes in the top of the beer can so that the flavor of the beer can fully permeate the chicken.
- Beer can chicken leftovers will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Serve your chicken with mashed potatoes or a rice pilaf, with a side of grilled veggies such as zucchini or asparagus.
Read Also: How To Grill New York Strip Steak
What Kind Of Beer For Beer Can Chicken
Most people use a lager, or a beer that is not too hoppy or bitter. I used a Corona Extra because thats what we drink.
When it comes to choosing the right beer for your beer can chicken, there are no set rules, You can use fruity beers or sour beers.
Fruity and sour beers have more acidity and tend to do really well with grilled chicken.
Watch The Step By Step Video For This Recipe Below:
If you enjoy watching these videos make sure you subscribe to my;YouTube Channel;to be notified each time a post a new video!
Are you ready to get grilling this chicken?!! Im getting hungry again just looking at it! Be sure to tag me on Instagram or hashtag #gimmesomegrilling!
I really want to hear from you, so if you love this chicken, be sure to comment and leave a five star rating below.
Read Also: Do Traeger Grills Need Electricity
Beer Can Chicken Tips
- For a different flavor, try using soft drinks, fruit juices or wine in place of the beer.
- Create a more concentrated flavor from your rub by allowing the chicken to set for 4 hours or overnight with the rub on it. Be sure to cover and refrigerate it while it sits.
- Use your favorite marinade on the chicken before grilling.
- Don’t have a grill? The beer can chicken can be roasted in the oven rather than on a grill if you don’t have one available. It will be still be moist and delicious but it won’t have the great grilled flavor.
- To increase the flavor of the beer, add it as an ingredient in a marinade or if you are going to barbecue the beer can chicken, add some beer to the sauce.
- Because of the steam created when using the beer can method to cook the chicken, you generally do not need to baste the chicken as it cooks. Although basting is not necessary to keep the chicken moist, you can add special flavoring by basting if desired. Be careful if basting so that you do not knock the chicken over when applying it.
How Do I Remove The Beer From The Chicken
Kitchns Food Editor-at-Large Christine Gallary gave me the best bit of advice for removing the can from the finished beer can chicken, because it really is the hardest part of the whole thing. Move the whole beer-can-in-the-chicken onto a cutting board to rest; Then have one person grasp the beer can with tongs to hold it in place while a second person grabs the chicken use wadded up paper towels or a clean kitchen towel and pulls it up off of the can.
After resting, carve up the chicken and serve with, what else, more beer! Jokes aside, give your pan drippings a taste and feel free to serve the carved chicken with the drippings.
Read Also: Where To Buy Propane Gas For Grill
What Temperature Should Beer Can Chicken Be Cooked To
Your whole grilled chicken is done when a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken thigh reads 165°F. Depending on the size of your chicken and the type of grill you use, this means that your beer can chicken cook time will vary a bit. We recommend starting to check the temp at an hour and 15 minutes, and then keep checking regularly until you see that 165°F. Also, when youre checking the internal temperature, make sure that youre not touching the bone.
Choose A Beer And Cooking Area
When it comes to the beer, taste preference is important. Some argue that stout is the only beer for beer can chicken while others favor any beer but stout, like a good, malty beer. Choose a beer that you like and think would be good with the chicken, but there are a couple of things to keep in mind when making your selection.
Firstand this may seem obviousmake sure that the beer you buy is in a can and not a bottle. Second, that can of beer also needs to fit inside the chicken; you don’t want to be struggling with this over a live fire. Third, remember that the chicken will be standing up straight inside the grill with the grill top closed. So check to see that the space is tall enough.
Don’t Miss: How To Grill Frozen Shrimp
Top Tips For Perfect Beer Can Chicken
Dry Rub Be Generous: youll notice that this beer can chicken recipe calls for a decent amount of dry rub. Thats because we not only want the chicken to end up super flavorful, but it will help create a delicious crispy skin.
Get Under the Skin: whatever you do, dont skip rubbing butter and dry rub between the meat and skin. It adds so much flavor!
Higher Heat: lots of beer can chicken recipes on the internet cook their beer can chickens at a lower heat. However, we love how ours turned out at 425ºF.
Keep Chicken Upright: you can either try and balance your chicken on its own legs or you can use a handy dandy beer can chicken holder. Either work.
Cook Until 165ºF: in order for chicken to be safely consumed, one must cook it until the internal temperature reaches 165ºF. We use a digital meat thermometer and highly recommend one!
Make Beer Can Chicken
Beer can chicken may get a bad rap, but this somewhat cooky cooking technique actually creates a moist and flavorful bird with a dark mahogany exterior. The beer not only provides moisture but also flavors the meat, while the can itself acts as a stand to prop up the chicken and allow it to cook evenly on all sides.;
The most basic beer can chicken recipe requires just a whole chicken and a can of beer. However, if you really want to add a lot of extra flavors, you can also include a good spice rub. It can be a basic mixture of salt and pepper or a more complex concoction of additional herbs and spices. You will also need a grill with enough headspace as well as a piece of onion to wedge into the neck to close up the bird and keep the moisture inside.
Recommended Reading: How To Marinate Shrimp For Grilling