How To Clean And Heat The Grill For Salmon
Start with a clean grill while it’s still cold, brush any food residue from the grates. Then lightly coat a bunched-up paper towel with olive oil. Using tongs, wipe the oil onto the grill grates. Dont use too muchdripping oil can cause flare-ups and excess smoke.
Make two cooking zones: a hot zone for searing and another for lower, gentle cooking. For a gas grill, turn the burners on one side to high and the other side to low. If you’re cooking with charcoal, push the hot coals onto one-half of the grill. The two zones will allow you to sear the salmon on the high-heat side, then transfer it to the cooler side to finish cooking. Close the lid and preheat for 15 minutes. This will burn off the oil and make the grill nonstick and very hot, about 500 degrees. For a charcoal grill, keep the lid vents open for air circulation.
Types Of Salmon To Choose From
- Wild or farmed? You can choose wild or farmed, its up to you. Farm-raised salmon tends to be milder in flavor and more fatty/buttery in texture, while on the other hand wild salmon can be a little more spendy, but is leaner, pinker, and higher in minerals such as zinc and iron. Both are delicious!
- Skin on or off? Choose a salmon with the skin still on it. This will help keep the salmon extra flavorful, plus its easier to grill.
- Different varieties of salmon. The most common types of salmon youll find at the grocery store are King/Chinook, which is large with a high fat content, Sockeye, which is more red/orange in color, Coho/Silver salmon, which has bright red flesh, and Atlantic Salmon, which is always farmed.
How Do You Know When Grilled Salmon Is Cooked
There are a few ways to tell if your salmon is fully cooked or not, and once you get the hang of cooking and grilling salmon youll become more and more comfortable with judging it based on the look.
As I mentioned, its better to undercook rather than overcook your salmon, and remember that it will continue to cook as it rests after you grill it!
Don’t Miss: Temperature To Grill Pork Chops
When Pan Searing Salmon Do You Flip It
Place salmon skin-side down in skillet, on medium heat, and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Skin brown six to seven minutes after Cook the Salmon. After the first layer of flesh has turned brown, add more vegetables to the pan, cooking over medium heat 68 minutes more per side. After you have cooled down the juice, serve with the chilled potatoes.
How Long To Grill Salmon On A Pellet Grill
Cooking salmon on a pellet grill takes the same time as on other types of grills. The purpose of a pellet smoker is to infuse your food with flavor notes of smoke while you cook it. Smoker pellets, thin rods of condensed hardwood, are used as a source of smoke and fuel in these grills.
A one-inch thick piece of salmon takes around six to eight minutes to cook at 500 degrees on a pellet smoker. The USDA says that the minimum internal temperature of the fish should be at least 145 °F before you consume it. Undercooked seafood has potential health hazards, so never take the risk.
An internal salmon temperature of 145 °F will result in medium to good doneness. If you give grilled salmon a rest period of around three minutes, the carryover heat will compensate for the incomplete browning.
Also Check: Bone In Pork Chops On Gas Grill
How To Grill Salmon With Skin
When unprocessed, the salmon will not break apart and self-destruct as they will when cooked. Along similar lines, you singe the raw tissue side first, create some excellent barbeque marks and a cooked margin to the fish, cautiously turn it, and continue cooking at low heat with the meat side up and skin surface facing downwards.
Similarly, the skin will assist keep the fish together and prevent it from breaking apart and dropping into the barbecue while it cooks.
Is It Better To Grill With The Lid Open Or Closed
When you cook with the grill open, youll more effectively get a crispy, perfect-Maillard-reaction caramelization on the outside of the meat without overcooking the center. So, they can hold up to the heat chamber the lid creates, and in fact, the lid will help thicker cuts of meat or vegetables cook more evenly.
You May Like: Grilling Burgers On Propane Grill
Everything Youll Need To Make Lemon Garlic Salmon
The best part about this delicious lemon garlic salmon recipe is how such simple ingredients can create such amazing flavors. Heres everything youll need to make it:
- Wild or Farmed Salmon: youll need 1 pound of salmon in this recipe. You can choose wild or farmed, its up to you. Farm-raised salmon tends to be milder in flavor and more fatty/buttery in texture, while on the other hand wild salmon can be a little more spendy, but is leaner, more pink, and higher in minerals such zinc and iron. Both are delicious!
- Butter: using a fat in the lemon honey garlic marinade is key. I love the savory flavor that butter adds.
- Sweetener: as I mentioned, I love adding a little sweetness to glazes and marinades. In this recipe I used honey, but you can use maple syrup instead if you prefer.
- Zing: yes, were adding some zing with the acidity from fresh lemon juice, lemon zest and a little tang from grainy dijon mustard. This takes it to the next level, trust me!
- Seasonings: youll also mix in garlic and plenty of salt and pepper.
Tips For Baking Salmon
Looking back, I can remember when I first started cooking and salmon intimidated me since you can easily overcook the fish. Though as all cooking and baking go, you dont become better until you experiment a little. If youre nervous about cooking salmon, Ive got a few pretty good rules I like to follow:
- Always err on the side of undercooking rather than overcooking salmon.
- For every inch of thickness, youll need to bake it for 15 minutes at around 400 degrees F or until the salmon is opaque and easily flakes with a fork.
- My salmon usually always comes out perfect at 18 minutes.
Youve got this! And if you dont just put on Jay-Z. 99 problems and salmon aint one!
Recommended Reading: How To Start A Pit Boss Pellet Grill For The First Time
Preheat Your Grill To 400 Degrees
Start your traeger by setting the grill to smoke and allow 4 to 5 minutes for the fire to establish. To smoke salmon on a pellet grill, prepare salmon based on the recipe youre trying. When in smoke mode, the pellet grill will feed in pellets for 15 seconds and wait 65 seconds before repeating the cycle regardless of ambient and cooking temperature.
Grill Salmon On A Gas Grill
When you are grilling the salmon on the gas barbecue, remember that they well-known for their simplicity and comfort of use when it comes to heat management. Make sure to Warm half of the griddle at direct temperatures with the lid shut. When the barbeque is scorching enough, lay the salmon filet on the barbecue with the flames turned off and cover the grate. Cook for approximately fifteen minutes, contingent on the depth of your fish, or until it is murky and cooked thoroughly.
Read Also: Steak On The Traeger
How To Make Grilled Salmon In Foil Packs
When it comes to cooking or grilling any type of fish, its important to purchase the best fish!
When choosing your fish, look for salmon that is bright pink in color, that smells fresh but not fishy. I picked up Fishermans Net Salmon Portions while shopping at my local ACME Markets.
Bonus? If you want to skip the grilling, have their seafood department steam your seafood for free!
Now that you have your salmon home, its time to get grilling!
Can I Eat Salmon Skin
Yes! Also long as the scales have been scraped off. I usually will use a spoon on the whole fillet to remove the scales before cutting. Simply run the spoon in the opposite direction of the scales and theyll flick off. If youre lucky, some grocery stores already have them cleaned and ready to eat.
You May Like: Temp To Grill Pork
How Long To Grill Salmon In Foil:
Salmon is considered fully cooked by the FDA when it reaches 145 degrees Fahrenheit. Generally, salmon on the grill in foil takes about 10 to 15 minutes to cook. The best way of ensuring your salmon is fully cooked is using a meat thermometer. Insert the thermometer in the center of the thickest part of the salmon to get an accurate read.
Do note that the salmon will continue cooking after it is removed from the grill. Allow it to rest for 10 minutes before serving for best results!
How Do I Know Salmon Is Done
Cooked salmon will always go from a vibrant pink color to more of an opaque color when done.Use an instant-read thermometer is key! If Ive told you once, Ive told you a thousand times. It takes the guess work out of is it done or not. This is the thermometer I use, it has a probe and build in USDA doneness temperatures for every protein, including fish. If you dont have that a simple eye test will work flaking the fish with a fork or the skin will pull away from the flesh as well.
Grilled fish is cooked when it is 145°F, but remember youre food will continue to cook once youve pulled it from the grill or oven. Transfer your salmon from the grill when it reaches 125°-130°F, then let it rest for a few minutes and serve! I love to top mine with a juice of fresh lemon juice to brighten up the fish.
Read Also: How To Cook Tri Tip On A Traeger Grill
Why A Pellet Grill
Over the last couple of years, my husband and I had heard really marvelous things about wood pellet grills. Our friends all told us how much they loved them, but we didn’t think it was worth the added expense. We already had a natural gas BBQ why buy something else that would do basically the same thing? Boy, were we wrong.
This spring, it has been hot, so we decided to start the barbecue early. However, the burner on one side no longer worked. So it was time to buy another one. We did a bunch of research and decided that it was healthier to eat food over wood instead of food cooked over burnt gas.
So, we decided to purchase a Pit Boss smoker 8-1 grill that uses 100% wood pellets as fuel instead of gas and propane. From the first time we used it, we were hooked. We love using it. It adds so much flavor. This is not a sponsored post we love it that much.
Steaks Fillets And Other Cuts
In addition to a wide variety of salmon available, there are many different options when it comes to cuts of this versatile fish.
Fillet: A fillet is the meaty part of the fish taken from the side of the salmon. This cut usually has the skin and bones removed, but they may still have some tiny bones.
Steak: A steak is a thick cross-section cut around the fish and across the spine. Usually one-half to one-inch thick steak cuts are available, either with skin or scaled with skin removed.
Supreme Cut: Considered the best and choicest cut of fish, the supreme cut is a slice of fish with all bones removed thats cut on a slant from the fillet.
Butterfly or Cutlet: The side of the fish is sliced from behind the head, around the belly and tapered toward the tail on both sides of the fish keeping the flesh over the tail connected, producing a double fillet.
Whole Fish: When grilling whole salmon, remove the fins, tail and internal organs. Make several angled cuts or slits into the salmon along both sides without cutting all the way through. Salt and season the inside and outside, including the slits on the sides.
Dressed and Pan-Dressed: A dressed fish is a whole fish that has been scaled and gutted of all internal organs. A pan-dressed fish also has its fins, tail and head removed.
Read Also: Temp For Grilling Pork Chops
Cook Salmon Burgers From Scratch
- You can cook perfect salmon burgers at home by mixing canned or fresh cooked salmon with bread crumbs, onions, pickles, lemon juice, and salt.
- Then you will have to form patties from the mixture. You may also use oiled hands for this purpose as it is easier than using spoons or spatulas.
- Now, place the patties on a hot grill and cook them for around ten minutes.
- While cooking salmon burgers, you need to make sure that they are cooked from the inside. So, use a meat thermometer to check whether it has reached 165 degrees Fahrenheit or not. It is done once its internal temperature reaches this level.
- For some extra flavor, add a slice of cheese on top while cooking the burgers.
- As far as grilling salmon burgers go, cutting them in half before placing them on the grill is an excellent idea. This will help in faster and even cooking from both sides. In this way, you can cook these burger patties for just around six minutes on each side.
- You can also make them in a skillet or frying pan if you are afraid of having problems with the grill. For this purpose, use olive oil to fry the salmon burger patties and then cook it for around four minutes per side.
How To Grill Salmon In Foil: Some Tips
All you need to know for this one: what grill temperature for salmon, and how long to grill salmon in foil? 6 minutes with the foil closed, then 1 to 5 minutes with the foil open. Here are the pointers, or jump to the recipe below for all the specifics:
- Preheat the grill to medium high: thats 375 to 450 degrees.
- Place the salmon on foil. Brush it with olive oil and season it . Close the packet and seal it up.
- Grill 6 minutes with the foil packet closed. Then open the foil packet and grill 1 to 5 more minutes with the foil open, until the salmon is tender and pink or the internal temperature reads 125 to 130F at the thickest part.
Thats it! Spritz the salmon with lemon and serve. No flipping, no babying required.
Read Also: Weber Spirit 2 Parts
Do You Cook Salmon On High Or Low Heat
Directions Bring the salmon to room temperature 10 minutes before cooking. Warm a large nonstick skillet with oil over medium- low heat. Season the fish with salt and pepper. Raise the heat to medium- high. The skin can be served or removed easily with a knife or spoon. Transfer to a plate and serve as desired.
Tips For Salmon Shopping
For delicious results, we highly recommend using steak and fillet cuts for cooking salmon on the grill. Make sure the salmon skin is still on because this effectively prevents the fish from crumbling to pieces or from sticking on the grill. Its not impossible to grill skinless salmon but it is definitely going to take a lot of hard work to keep the fish from falling to pieces, which becomes more challenging when its time to flip.
Additionally, when youre learning how to BBQ salmon, buying your fish from sustainable sources will be kinder for the environment. Ask your fishmonger for in-season and wild-caught options. There are always several varieties of salmon available either fresh or frozen at your local farmers market or grocery store.
Choose from the following types of salmon:
King Salmon : high in fat, rich flavor, and big fish.
Sockeye Salmon : vibrant red color, outstanding flavour, low in fat, leaner meat.
Chum Salmon : smaller in size, lower in fat content, slightly paler flesh.
Steelhead Salmon: pinkish to orange flesh color, affordable option.
Atlantic Salmon: mild in flavor, cheap, farmed.
Recommended Reading: How To Charge The Auger On A Traeger Grill
Cooking The Salmon Perfectly
The best way to know when salmon is finished cooking is to use a thermometer . The USDA recommends cooking salmon to an internal temperature of 145° F. While that temperature results in a moist, flaky fish, we prefer our fish a little closer to medium125° F.
If you dont have a thermometer, you can still cook salmon perfectly. Pay attention to the color of the fish on the side of the fillet. Youre looking for that translucent pink to turn an opaque white as it creeps up towards the top of the fish. If you gently poke the fish with a fork, it should turn into flaky pieces.
Tips On Buying And Using Salmon
- Try to use your salmon the same day you buy it, if you can! It just tastes so much better.
- Use fresh salmon if you can as well.
- If you cant use your salmon within a day or two, I would recommend freezing your salmon. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- If using frozen salmon, allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator before use.
- I usually try and buy salmon that is not much more than 1 inch thick at its thickest point.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Dont forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on or see what I am pinning on !
Read Also: Do Traeger Grills Use Electricity