How To Grill Vegetables Using Foil
Grilling ribs and vegetables are a part of many familys traditional backyard barbeques. But there are some vegetables that you cant grill straight on the grates. This is where foil can save the day.
Many vegetables will fall through the grill grates, or they are too delicate for the grill. Knowing how long it takes to grill vegetables in foil is necessary and will make you a better grill master. This article will help you successfully grill vegetables and give you tips you can use on other food items.
Note: most links in this article are Amazon.com Affiliate links, see Affiliate Disclosure, thank you.
How Do You Make Grilled Vegetables
This recipe starts with fresh vegetables. I like to go with a rainbow colored combination of red bell peppers, small carrots, yellow squash, asparagus, red onions and mushrooms. The vegetables soak in a garlic and herb marinade, then go on the grill to sear to perfection. I use my charcoal grill when the weather is nice, or my stovetop grill pan when its cold outside.
Grilled Vegetables In Foil
Easy grilled vegetables in foil packets are perfect for summer barbecues. Make these delicious grilled veggies without turning on your oven and heating up your house.
Ive shared before about my love for roasted veggies, especially roasted green beans and roasted zucchini in the summer. But when its hot outside, you dont always want to turn on your oven.
With grilled vegetables you get just as much delicious flavor and you wont heat up your kitchen in the process.
When vegetables are in peak season, it doesnt take much to enhance their flavor. Even with just a light seasoning of salt, pepper, and olive oil, your grilled vegetables will turn out so delicious. Its hard to stop eating them!
Read Also: How To Cook Grilled Cheese On Stove
Grilling Cauliflower In Foil
If you would like to char, you will need to remove from the pouch early as cauliflower will get soft when fully cooked and fall apart on the grill grate. Consider a grill mat or a grill bag to char your cauliflower without dropping it through the grate.
Also, add broccoli to this preparation, and you will have a delicious mix of healthy vegetables.
Know Proper Cook Time And Prevent Burning
Some vegetables take a minute or two to cook while others take longer. Denser vegetables, such as potatoes, will take the longest to cook. Keeping them over too-high heat for too long will char them on the outside while keeping them raw on the inside.
To prevent burning, sear vegetables over high heat, then move them to a cooler part of the grill to finish cooking. You can also precook them and just give them a few minutes on the grill to get some color on the outside.
Pictured recipe:Grilled Asparagus
Read Also: Char-broil Porcelain Grates
How To Make Easy Grilled Vegetables:
How To Marinate And Grill Veggies
1. First, prep the veggies. Trim and slice all of the vegetables into long strips as shown. This makes them less likely to fall through the grill grates.
2. Place the vegetables on a large rimmed baking sheet, and pour the marinade over the vegetables. Then gently toss the veggies to coat in the marinade.
3. Allow the vegetables to marinate for at least 30 minutes, or up to several hours.
You can marinate hard vegetables like carrots in the fridge overnight however, I wouldnt recommend marinating softer veggies, such a zucchini and asparagus, for that long.
4. When almost ready to cook, preheat the grill to medium heat, about 350 degrees F.
5. Once the grill is hot, place the carrots on first, laying them across the grates so they dont fall through. Let the carrots grill for 3-4 minutes, then flip them over. Then lay the rest of the vegetables on the grill.
As mentioned, you can use any vegetables you like with this marinade. But a pro tip for grilling: Be sure to place the hardest, most dense, vegetables on the grill first to give them a head start. Root vegetables will need more time to grill than other vegetables.
6. Give the marinated grilled vegetables a few more minutes, flipping half way through cooking once a nice char has formed. Remove with tongs and plate to serve.
Recommended Reading: How To Clean Porcelain Grill Grates Char Broil
How To Grill Corn
It doesnt get more summery than grilled corn on the cob, especially when you serve it with chipotle lime butter! Carefully peel back the husk, removing the silk before folding it back into place. Soak the corn in cold water for at least 10 minutes . Then, grill the cobs over medium heat, covering the grill but turning occasionally. They should be soft and tender in 25 to 30 minutes.
The Rules Of The Grill
1. Start grilling with all burners on high if you need to move a vegetable to lower heat, just turn one burner down. 2. Oil and salt your vegetables thoroughly. Theyll cook more evenly. A little dripping oil might cause a quick flare-up on the grill just lower the lid briefly to extinguish it. 3. Learn your grills personality. One grills high is anothers medium. Learn where the hot and cool spots are and move the vegetables around to cook evenly. For nice grill marks, give them a quarter turn. 4. Cook peppers, onions, and corn together. They dont need to be turned frequently so you can keep the lid down longer. Grill zucchini and eggplant together they need to be checked more frequentlyevery minute or so. 5. Dont undercook vegetables. The great flavor of grilled vegetables comes from their juices caramelizing at high heat.
Read Also: What Temp Do I Grill Steak
There Are A Variety Of Combinations
Cooking on the barbie is ideal for meat, fish, chicken, tofu, veggies and even fruit! Whether steaming en papillote, threaded onto skewers, sitting on the grill or resting on a plank, there are many ways to barbecue your favourite foods. Its an excellent way to put healthy meals on the menu while being creative!
Grilling Vegetables In Foil
When you grill vegetables, most of the time, they need to be a veggie that can hold up on the grill and wont fall apart or melt once it starts to cook. Some vegetables also burn very easily.
For instance, cabbage is tough to grill straight on the grates, especially if it is shredded. This is when foil comes into play to save the day. Just wrap the cabbage in foil with any fluid, fat, or seasoning you want and throw it on the grill.
It will cook just like if you used a sauté pan but will have a smoky or grilled flavor. In most cases, it will also cook faster than if you cooked it on the stovetop.
But knowing how long it will take to grill vegetables in foil will be determined by its density and quantity. Other factors could be additional items in the foil packet and the grills temperature.
If you choose dense veggies and pack them in tight with no fluid, it will take longer, so allow extra time. Additionally, if the quantity of vegetables in the foil package is large, you should also add additional cooking time.
If the lid is closed on the grill, the grills temperature will rise much higher and cook the veggies much faster. But all in all, it really should not take all that long to cook vegetables in foil.
Recommended Reading: What Temp Do You Cook Pork Chops On The Grill
A Vegetable Grill Basket Completes The Meal
Ah, the wonders of outdoor grilling! The sun, the fresh air, the smell of meat working up a nice char, friends and family relaxing around the grill. Who wants to be stuck inside cooking the rest of the meal? You can round out your grilled steaks, burgers or chicken with a healthy dose of veggies cooked in a grilling basket.
The grill basket will cook your vegetables quickly and evenly with just an occasional tossing. In about 10 minutes, your vegetables will be ready to enjoy.
Some vegetables like corn, eggplant or zucchini may not need a grill basket, but you will want to use a vegetable grill basket if you want to:
- Save space on your grill grates
- Cook several different vegetables all together for blended flavors
- Prevent vegetable pieces from falling through the grates
How To Grill Green Beans
You can grill trimmed green beans directly on the grill over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally. But, its frustrating how easily they fall through the grates. Thats why we prefer wrapping them in a foil pouch. They take twice as long to cook, but they still get a smoky grill flavor, and the process is much easier!
You May Like: Cleaning Stainless Steel Grill Grates
Tips For Grilled Veggies
- Cut each variety of vegetable into evenly sized pieces so that they cook at the same rate.
- Some vegetables take longer to grill than others denser vegetables such as carrots and potatoes need more time on the grill.
- You can grill your vegetables directly on the grates, use a grilling basket, or skewer your veggies to make kabobs
- I like to finish my vegetables with a sprinkling of parsley. If you dont have parsley on hand, other great options include green onions, thyme, basil or dill.
- This recipe calls for dried Italian seasoning, which is located in the spice aisle of most grocery stores. This seasoning is a blend of dried basil, oregano, parsley and garlic powder. If you cant find Italian seasoning, you can make your own by combining the dried herbs and garlic powder in equal amounts.
Try Cooking In Packets
Don’t feel like babysitting your vegetables on the grill? Try cooking them in packets instead. This method works great for dense vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes, or other root vegetables. Simply place a 24-inch-long piece of foil on the counter and lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange thinly-sliced vegetables on a single layer, slightly overlapping, on the foil. Leave a two-inch border on all sides. Fold foil over and pinch the edges together, making a packet. Place the packet on the grill. Cover the grill and cook until the vegetables are tender . When you open a packet to check doneness, be careful of steam.
Read Also: How Long Do You Grill Pork Tenderloin
Which Vegetables Are Good For Grilling
Almost every vegetable other than leafy greens are wonderful for grilling here are my favourites:
eggplant / aubergine
Its a good variety of colour, textures, shapes and flavour, plus these are vegetables that are easy to handle on the grill without using any specialequipment or skewering.
How To Grill Tomatoes
The easiest way to grill tomatoes is to select cherry tomatoes. Toss them with olive oil and skewer them through the middle. Grill over high heat, turning occasionally until theyre charred and blistered, about 3 minutes. Or, you can cut heirloom tomatoes into 1/2-inch slices and grill them over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
Also Check: Best Way To Clean Stainless Steel Bbq
Oil And Add Flavorings But Dont Salt
Give all your vegetable pieces a nice coating of oil before they hit the grill, too, but wait to salt them until after theyve come off the heat. A good everyday olive oil. Like California Olive Ranch, is a safe bet. Canola oil or coconut oil will work too, and theyll bring different flavor aspects to the grilling. Wait to season things until after the grill, thoughsalt pulls moisture out of vegetables, meaning that itll be harder to get that great grill marked, charred exterior.
Top Tips For Grilling Vegetables
Vegetables on the grill can add some amazing flavors to your next BBQ dish. We have 4 key tips to remember next time you grill veggies.
Once you are ready to grill some veggies, scroll down to check out our Mexican-Style Corn on the Cob, it is a fan favorite from our newest cookbook, Weber’s Greatest Hits.
Grill whats growing at the timeVegetables in season locally have big advantages over whatever has been shipped from across the world. They are riper, so they taste better. That means you can grill them simply with great results.
Expose as much surface area as possibleCut each vegetable to give you the biggest area to put in direct contact with the cooking grates. The more direct contact, the better the flavors will be. For example, choose peppers with flat sides that you can easily slice off the core. The flatter the sides, the more surface area will caramelize on the hot cooking grates.
Use the good oilVegetables need oil to prevent sticking and burning. Neutral oils like canola oil will do the job fine, but an extra-virgin olive oil provides the added benefit of improving the flavor of virtually every vegetable. Brush on just enough to coat each side thoroughly but not so much that the vegetables would drip oil and cause flare-ups. Season the vegetables generously with salt and pepper . For more flavors, marinate the vegetables at room temperature for 20 minutes to an hour in olive oil, vinegar, garlic, herbs, and spices.
Also Check: How Do I Clean My Grill Grates
How To Grill Beets
You can cook beets ahead of time and finish on the grillor you can use the grill from start to finish. Remove the stems and place whole beets on a sheet of aluminum foil. Add a good glug of olive oil and a pinch of salt and wrap the foil into a pouch. Cook on a medium-high heat grill for 20 minutes, until theyre soft when pierced with a fork.
Let cool and slice into 1/2-inch rounds. Brush them with a little olive oil and grill for 2 minutes a side, until lightly charred.
How To Grill Kale
Lacinato kale is our favorite, but this method works for any hearty green on the stem, including chard, broccoli rabe, mustard greens and collards. You may want to consider steaming the bitter greens for 2 minutes before tossing them on the grill. Trim off the bottom inch of the stem, toss the greens in olive oil and grill them for 3 minutes a side over medium-high heat. You can serve them whole or chop them into 1-inch pieces for a charred salad.
You May Like: Cleaning Bbq Grill With Baking Soda
Tips From The Pillsbury Kitchens
- tip 1 Thyme may be substituted for the dried thyme by adjusting the fresh amount used to 1 1/2 teaspoons.
- tip 2 Grilled vegetables are perfect for serving right from the foil, since they are portioned into individual servings! Afterwards, the foil can be discarded, which makes for easy clean-up.
- tip 3 These grilled vegetable foil packs with your favorite grilled protein like chicken or steak.
What Ingredients You Need
You can grill many vegetables with only a little oil, salt, and pepper, but a good, simple marinade makes all the difference. I love this easy blend, made with pantry staples that together add a punch of perfectly savory-sweet flavor to your favorite summer veggies.
Here is what you need for the Grilled Vegetables Marinade:
- Olive oilto get the perfect grilled char
- Balsamic vinegarslightly sweet, deep, and tangy flavor
- Dijon mustard adds an extra punch of tanginess and thickens the marinade
- Honeyfor a hint of sweetness and great caramelization you can also use agave to make vegan
- Seasoningsdried thyme, garlic powder, salt, and pepper
Our Favorite Veggies for Grilling:
- Red bell pepper
Other types of produce you can grill with our vegetable marinade include eggplant, green and/or yellow bell peppers, portobello mushrooms, and onions. Get creative!
You May Like: Grilling Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts On Gas Grill
Are Grilled Vegetables Healthy
Antioxidant-rich veggies are good for you, but what about when theyre grilled? The question sometimes arises: Can grilling be bad for you?
After digging around the internets, the answer is clear: Grilled vegetables are the best, healthiest way to grill.
According to WebMD, grilled vegetables are safe to grill because risk-potential PAHs and HCAs dont form on grilled fruits and vegetables. Vegetables dont have fat to render and drip onto the grilling element to cause the flare-ups to flap back these compounds back onto the food.
So put your mind at ease, and get grilling your veg.
Grilled Vegetables Marinade Ideas
Because of most vegetables hardy texture, unless youre using it on softer mushrooms, zucchini, or summer squash, most vegetable marinades dont infuse much flavor into grilled vegetables. Due to that fact and that I like the natural, caramelized sugars in grilled vegetables to shine through, I dont feel theres a need to marinate vegetables before grilling. Sugary marinades also have a tendency to burn and cause flare-ups.
Instead of a marinade, simply flavor your vegetables with:
- Extra virgin olive oil
Also Check: What Temperature To Grill Pork Chops