Why You’ll Love This Recipe
One of the reasons I love shrimp is because it’s such an easy weeknight meal and tastes just delicious! I have several great shrimp recipes on the blog -;Garlic Parmesan Roasted Shrimp;and Garlic Shrimp, and;Cajun Baked Shrimp – YUM!
When I’m grilling just about any protein, I try to keep it simple. Olive oil and seasoning, perhaps some sauce at the end – your choice!
How To Grill Shrimp Skewers
Sweet, tender shrimp take just minutes to make on the grill. That’s what I’m talking about! How to grill Shrimp Skewers for a quick and easy weeknight meal! This meal couldn’t get any easier or any more delicious!
Let me show you some quick shortcuts and you’ll be making grilled shrimp kabobs for dinner tonight!
If you enjoy this recipe, be sure to try Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs next, they are amazing!
Grilled Asparagus Flavor Variations
- Veggies: You can add other quick-cooking vegetables to these foil packets if youre looking for a little variety. I recommend trying sliced zucchini, diced red bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, yellow squash, thinly sliced red onions or even frozen corn kernels.
- Flavorings: Amp up the flavor by adding lemon zest, sun dried tomatoes, olives, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, cooked crumbled bacon, pine nuts or sliced almonds.
- Cheese: After the asparagus packets are cooked through, add a sprinkle of parmesan, feta or mozzarella cheese.
This grilled asparagus in foil is my go-to vegetable side dish when its hot out. If youre an asparagus fan, youll definitely want to give this one a try.
Recommended Reading: Do Traeger Grills Need Electricity
What Spices Go Well With Asparagus
I season this grilled asparagus with pats of butter, salt, pepper and dried Italian seasoning. Other great options would be garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, dried thyme or lemon pepper. You can also use a variety of fresh herbs aside from parsley. Some great choices include fresh basil, dill, chives, green onions or cilantro.
Can You Cook Asparagus On The Grill
Yes, you can cook asparagus on the grill. With the traditional method of grilling, you need to look for thick asparagus stalks so that they wont fall through the grates of the grill. With this foil packet method, you can use any size asparagus you like, and theres no risk of losing the stalks in the fire!
Also Check: How To Keep Rats Away From Grill
How Long Do You Grill Shrimp On Skewers
Shrimp cook very quickly, so its imperative to watch your shrimp to make sure they dont overcook. Shrimp typically take about 2-3 minutes per side on the grill. Youll be able to tell when the shrimp are done because theyll turn pink and opaque.
You can use an outdoor grill, grill pan, or broiler to make these shrimp skewers. I typically use my outdoor grill, but when the weather isnt nice or I dont feel like firing up the grill, I cook the shrimp on the stove top in my favorite grill pan.
I use the largest shrimp I can find for this recipe. Shrimp are labeled based on their size count, or the number of shrimp you get per pound. These shrimp are the jumbo size shrimp, which are 16-20 per pound. You can go smaller if need be and the recipe will still be delicious.
Whenever I post shrimp recipes, I always get asked if the shrimp tails should be left on or removed. I typically keep the tails on when Im looking for a nicer presentation. Its really a matter of personal preference whether you leave the tails on or remove them before grilling.
Can They Be Grilled
If youd prefer your Blackened Shrimp with a smoky vibe, heres how to grill them:
Read Also: Can I Sell My Gold Grill
Heres A Quick Cooking Lesson On How To Cook Shrimp Perfectly On The Stove Top
- First things first, put shrimp in a mixing bowl and rub them in seasoning mixture. Mix well to make sure shrimp is coated well in sea salt, Italian seasoning, paprika, and red pepper flakes. Shrimp have a mild flavor so they take on whatever flavor youre serving them with. Yummy!
- Next turn the stove on and heat the oil or butter over medium-high heat. I usually tilt the pan as the oil warms to coat the bottom of the pan.
- When the butter is melted or the oil moves around the pan easily, add the shrimp to the hot pan. If they dont sizzle on contact, warm your pan a little longer next time.
- Cook the shrimp for 2-3 minutes on each side, flipping only once midway. Depending on the size of your shrimp and how many you have in the pan, this will usually take 4 to 6 minutes.
- Lastly, transfer to a serving dish. Serve seared shrimp immediately with pasta or rice. May I suggest Creamy Cajun Shrimp Pasta and Instant Pot Shrimp and Orzo for your enjoyment?
Easy Grilled Shrimp Recipe
Shrimp, shrimp, shrimp!; These poor little things should not be overpowered with marinades and flavorings.; Enhancing the shrimp is ok but what you really want to taste is the actual meaty shrimp not oil or harsh seasonings.
Well, I think its pretty fair to say that we all have noticed the meat shortage on our store shelves lately.; Its all over the news and its probably also fair to say that this will last for quite some time.
Listen, eating less meat isnt the worst thing for us.; Many of us get more than our fair share of protein.; So we have to find ways to either eat less meat, use less OF it or incorporate some more fish into our diets.
Thats not such a bad thing, right?
So here is a very simple grilled shrimp recipe. ; There is really nothing fancy when it comes down to it.; What makes your meal is the method in this case we are grilling our shrimp.; Grilling gives it tons of flavor.; Make sure that grill is ROCKET SHIP hot.; Get it hot and keep it hot.
Also, there is a burning question about whether the grill should be open or closed.; Think of it this way, keeping it open gives a direct heat.; Closing the lid is kind of like baking, the heat will go in circles.
We want the grill OPEN and on HIGH.
Also, I see a lot of people making a very simple mistake when it comes to marinades and protein.; If you are using an acid in your marinade it will cook the protein.; By cook I mean it will make it tough, so I recommend 30 minutes when using anything acidic in your marinade.
You May Like: How To Grill Burgers On Propane Grill
How To Make Grilled Shrimp:
- Make the marinade: In a mixing bowl whisk together honey, soy sauce, olive oil, garlic cloves and red pepper flakes if using until well combined.
- Pour marinade over shrimp, rest: Place shrimp in a gallon size resealable bag or a shallow dish. Pour marinade over shrimp, seal bag while removing excess air. Rub marinade over shrimp and transfer to refrigerator and let marinate 30 60 minutes.
- Tip: if using wooden skewers soak in water at least 30 minutes so they dont burn up. While the shrimp is marinating throw them in water if you havent already.
- Heat grill: Preheat a grill over medium-high heat to about 400 degrees.
- Thread shrimp on skewers: Thread shrimp onto skewers running through top and bottom of the shrimp, and fitting about 5 6 on each.
Should Grilled Shrimp Be On Skewers
You can if youd like! You can thread your shrimp onto skewers before you grill it, which in theory makes it easier to turn. But Alex and I also find that it tends to spin on skewers, making it harder to manage on the grill. It also takes some time to thread it onto skewers, and wooden skewers need to be soaked first so they dont burn.
If youd like a shrimp skewers recipe, head to our Grilled Shrimp Skewers recipe for more info. But we prefer skipping the skewers, since its quicker and easier!
Recommended Reading: How Do I Clean My Grill Grates
Selecting The Best Shrimp
At the store, you will find a variety of shrimp ranging in size from extra small to extra colossal. Large and jumbo shrimp are the most common and economical and a great size for the grill.
When determining how much shrimp you’ll need, keep;the count per pound;in mind. You will get around 30 large shrimp per pound and about 20 jumbo shrimp per pound. If shrimp is your main dish, plan on 1/3- to 1/2-pound per person. If you choose to leave the shells on, make it 3/4-pound per person.
Raw shrimp is the best choice for the grill, though precooked shrimp will work. Due to safety and flavor concerns,;do not refreeze shrimp;that have been thawed out. Most likely, the shrimp on display in the grocer’s case was previously frozen. Unless you have live shrimp available, you’re better off with individually quick frozen shrimp.
For The Grilled Shrimp Marinade:
- Olive Oil Use a light olive oil for neutral flavor, or try avocado oil.
- Lemon Juice Fresh lemon juice tastes outstanding in this grilled shrimp skewers marinade, but use bottled if necessary. For extra lemon flavor, feel free to add in the lemon zest, too. If you have limes on hand instead of lemons, feel free to swap the lemon juice for lime juice.
- Garlic Cant make garlic shrimp skewers without it! Mincing fresh garlic tastes the best, but you can use the jarred kind to save time.
- Italian Seasoning Use a pre-made version, or make homemade Italian seasoning. Alternatively, you can chop up some fresh herbs, such as fresh parsley, basil, or thyme.
- Smoked Paprika Regular paprika will work if thats what you have, but smoked paprika adds the best flavor for the grill.
- Sea Salt&Black Pepper
Recommended Reading: How To Grill Boneless Chicken Breast
You Thawed Shrimp Improperly
You should never use a microwave for defrosting shrimp, nor leave them to thaw on the kitchen counter at room temperature.;The best way to defrost frozen shrimp is in a colander in the refrigerator overnight. The next best way is to seal them tightly in a Ziploc bag with all the air pressed out and then run cold water over the bag for five to 10 minutes. Don’t use warm or hot water, and don’t run water over them without the bag, or the shrimp will soak up water and turn soggy. That’s also why we recommend a colander in the preferred methodso the shrimp don’t end up waterlogged.;
How To Make Shrimp Into Dinner
While I could probably be perfectly happy with a bowl of shrimp and nothing else, most of the time shrimp needs some accompaniment, usually carbs, to make it a meal. Let me introduce you to;Pesto Shrimp Pasta; an amazing combo of pesto, fettuccini white wine, and Italian seasoning. I am also partial to using red wine when cooking shrimp, as I did in this;Garlic Shrimp Pasta. Because shrimp is used in almost every world cuisine, you can add it to pretty much anything! Serve shrimp over rice or orzo, eat it over a bed of greens, or with some roasted vegetables on the side.;Whats your favorite way to have shrimp for dinner?
You May Like: Why Are Evo Grills So Expensive
Six Steps To Grilling Shrimp
Raw shrimp on a skewer, ready for the grill – How to grill shrimp
1. For the best possible results, buy fresh shrimp on the day that you plan to grill them. Shrimp thaw quickly and can go bad even more quickly. Make sure that you buy either jumbo or colossal sized shrimp for easier grilling.
2.;Shrimp can be grilled with or without their shells. I like to peel the shrimp prior to grilling. Remove all of the shell except for the part that is around the tail of the shrimp. Removing the shell will allow the marinade to penetrate the meat and give the shrimp more taste.
3. Devein the shrimp by using a small, sharp knife to cut down the back of each peeled shrimp. Pull out the back vein while washing the shrimp under cold water. The vein is noticeable in jumbo or colossal shrimp.
ully grilled shrimp on a skewer – How to grill shrimp
4. Give the shrimp flavor in the marinade of your choice. My favorite is just a simple brush of olive oil on the shrimp with some salt, pepper and squeeze of lemon.
What Does It Take To Make The Best Grilled Shrimp On The Planet One Secret Ingredient Shrimp Shells And About 15 Minutes
Ive grilled dozens upon dozens of shrimp in my life. Theyre one of my favorite healthy snacks. Before creating this recipe, I always thought my shrimp were pretty good. But pretty good isnt good enough.
Once I added this one ingredient, my grilled shrimp went from pretty good to being the best damn grilled shrimp on the planet. Im not exaggerating here. I can down a pound of shrimp like no tomorrow when I follow this method.
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Gas Grille
How To Shop For Shrimp In The Supermarket
Most shrimp is frozen soon after being caught, so the freshest-tasting shrimp is the kind you buy in the freezer aisle rather than the thawed stuff at the supermarket fish counter. Because shrimp is highly perishable, and you dont really know how long the thawed stuff has been thawed. Therefore, never, I repeat, NEVER buy shrimp that is not frozen.
What Is Blackened Shrimp
Blackened Shrimp is a Cajun dish in which shrimp are coated in Blackened Seasoning;and pan-seared. Contrary to what many might believe, blackened food;is not cooked until its burnt its just well seasoned.;
When youre making Blackened Shrimp at home, you can make it as spicy as youd like. Its the cayenne pepper in blackened food that gives it a hit of heat. If you like it hotter, add more cayenne. If you like your food on the mild side, feel to leave out the cayenne altogether.
Read Also: How Do I Grill Chicken
You Bought Fresh Shrimp
Sure, if you’re buying live shrimp from a tank or off a boat, then those are indeed fresh and better than frozen. But the shrimp sitting atop a pile of ice in the seafood case are not, in fact, truly fresh. They’ve been previously frozen and have now been thawed for who knows how long. For best results, buy IQF ;shrimp in the shell and defrost them yourself.
This goes double for whole shrimp . The heads contain an enzyme that can quickly turn the flesh mushy if not separated from the body immediately after harvesting.;
Why Youll Love This Recipe
Also Check: Do Weber Gas Grills Ever Go On Sale
Tips For The Best Grilled Shrimp:
- Use a flavorful marinade and one that includes honey like we use here for a nice char on the shrimp.
- Be sure to peel shrimp first before adding to the marinade so it can soak up the flavors.
- Soak wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes before adding shrimp and grilling or they may burn up.
- Preferably use frozen and thawed shrimp. Not that from the meat/seafood counter as its previously frozen anyway and could have been sitting there a few days.
- Dont overcook the shrimp or they will be rubbery.