What Are The Best Vegetables To Grill
The better question is, are there are any vegetables that arent good for grilling? Because the vast majority of vegetables are perfect for cooking on the grill. Corn is the summer classic, but asparagus, eggplant, bell peppers, zucchini, onions, mushrooms, and tomatoes are also great when grilled to perfection.
When grilling multiple vegetables at the same time, its important that they all have similar cooking times. This recipe is designed to pair vegetables with similar cooking times so you can create skewers or serve up a grilled vegetable salad.
Best Grilled Vegetables Ingredients
With just a few ingredients, these grilled vegetables come together easily for the perfect summer side. For all the ingredients and measurements see the recipe card below.
- Zucchini: Sliced into thin strips.
- Mushrooms: I like using small, brown mushrooms for adding different size and texture to the vegetable variety.
- Asparagus: One stalk.
- Squash: Yellow, sliced into thin strips.
- Corn: On the cob, cut into thirds.
- Red Onion: Sliced ½ inch thick.
A Little Seaweed Goes A Long Way
Sea vegetables are uniquely nutrient-dense foods that are used all around the world albeit to varying degrees including in some of the areas associated with longevity. As such, eating them is associated with numerous health benefits and uses. However, many of them are high in iodine, which can be good in moderation, but may cause problems when overconsumed especially for people prone to hyperthyroidism.
Many seaweed varieties are also high in sodium. And seaweed can contain contaminants as well as high levels of heavy metals. So its best to buy organic, locally sourced, or heavy metal tested sea vegetables when possible, and to consume sea vegetables with care and in moderation.
Seaweed also brings multiple environmental benefits, especially as an alternative to land-based agriculture and factory farming. But unsustainable practices occur in seaweed farming and foraging, so how its produced matters. Overall, sea vegetables can be a valuable source of nutrients when used in moderation, and can be a sustainable source of nutrition when farmed or foraged responsibly.
Tell us in the comments:
- Do you eat sea vegetables?
- What are some new ways youre interested in trying sea vegetables?
- Have you ever tried seaweeds like dulse, kelp, nori, or wakame?
and receive the Top 10 Foods To Eat And Avoid For Longevity infographic poster!
Read Also: How To Grill Frozen Salmon
Tips For The Best Grilled Vegetables:
Reduce Methane Emissions From Cattle
Sea vegetables can also help reduce methane emissions by adding certain forms of red seaweed to cattle feed. According to researchers at the University of California, Davis, doing so may be able to reduce methane emissions . Of course, while this might make industrialized beef production a bit less environmentally damaging, a much more effective approach to reducing methane emissions would be for humans to reduce our consumption of red meat and reliance on factory farms altogether. But as long as people are eating industrialized meat, adding seaweed to cow feed is an intriguing step that could help reduce environmental impact.
Also Check: Louisiana Grill Vs Pit Boss
What Ingredients You Need
You can grill many vegetables with only a little oil, salt, and pepper, but a good, simple marinade makes all the difference. I love this easy blend, made with pantry staples that together add a punch of perfectly savory-sweet flavor to your favorite summer veggies.
Here is what you need for the Grilled Vegetables Marinade:
- Olive oilto get the perfect grilled char
- Balsamic vinegarslightly sweet, deep, and tangy flavor
- Dijon mustard adds an extra punch of tanginess and thickens the marinade
- Honeyfor a hint of sweetness and great caramelization you can also use agave to make vegan
- Seasoningsdried thyme, garlic powder, salt, and pepper
Our Favorite Veggies for Grilling:
- Red bell pepper
Other types of produce you can grill with our vegetable marinade include eggplant, green and/or yellow bell peppers, portobello mushrooms, and onions. Get creative!
Grilled Vegetables Quick Tips
Elevate your grilled vegetables with just a few easy tips and tricks.
- Thickness of Slices: It is best to keep your vegetables in slices that are relatively the same thickness. This will make sure that they all cook evenly and some do not cook faster than others.
- Vegetables Too Dry: Let your vegetables marinate for at least an hour to prevent them from becoming dry when grilled. This gives oil-based marinades time to really sink into the vegetables.
- Sweetness: Grilling vegetables brings out their natural sugars, so if you dont want them to be too sweet, you can use extra marinade or seasoning to counteract this.
- Grill or Stovetop:These grilled vegetables can be cooked on a gas or charcoal grill as well as in a skillet on the stove for a delicious year-round meal.
- Other Vegetables: Add more variety to your veggie mix by grilling up others like potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, and eggplant. I would avoid leafy greens as they tend to shrink when grilled.
- Flavor Enhancers: Customize and add flavor to your vegetables by topping them with lemon pepper and Italian seasonings. You can even add a sprinkle of parmesan or feta as a cheesy touch.
- Save Marinade: Save extra marinade to toss vegetables in after grilling. This gives them added flavor.
You May Like: How To Clean Porcelain Grill Grates Char Broil
The Best Way To Grill Skewered Vegetables
The Best Grilled Vegetables
Grilled Vegetables have an amazing flavor! Whether you are making a grilled vegetable salad, or grilled vegetable skewers, this recipe will have you covered.
Grilled Vegetables have an amazing flavor! Whether you are making a grilled vegetable salad, or grilled vegetable skewers, this recipe will have you covered.
Read Also: Cleaning Flavorizer Bars
Best Seasoning For Stir
The stir frying method of cooking vegetables requires more personal attention.
You have to stand and be on guard while stirring the vegetables.
Time wise stir frying vegetables actually take less time.
Some of the best vegetables to make a stir fry side with are zucchini, mushroom, green beans, sugar snaps beans, carrots, peas, peppers to name a few .
Below are my recommended seasoning for stir fry veges.
Bring the aristocratic French flair into your repertoire.
A combination of aromatic herbs like tarragon, chives, chervil will make your main envy the vegetable side.
How to add Fines Herbs to vegetables
To bring the best out of both the seasoning and the vegetables, I would recommend stir-fying vegetables in butter and adding the herbs while frying.
Panch phoron may be a bit lesser known spice blend. All it is, is a blend of 5 whole spices like mustard seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and nigella seeds.
As you can see from the mix of spices that it has a bit of all flavours in one teaspoon.
The colourful blend of spices give the vegetables an interesting texture and flavour.
How to add Panch Phoron to vegetables
Add one to two teaspoon of panch phoron for 2 cups of chopped vegetables to warm oil. Let the spices splutter in warm oil for few seconds before adding raw vegetables. Stir fry as you normally would.
How to add Curry powder to vegetables
Chinese Five Spice
Grilled Vegetable Serving Suggestions
The best thing about grilled vegetables is they make a delicious side dish or a main course. Have leftovers? Cut them up and throw them in a salad! Here are some topping ideas for grilled vegetables as well as ways to use up the leftovers.
- Want to brighten up you vegetables with a sauce after them come off the grill? Drizzle them with this Balsamic Reduction, add a dollop of creamy avocado tzatziki or finish with a bright homemade pesto sauce!
- Add them to Pasta like this Grilled Vegetable Orzo Salad or this Pesto Pasta with Grilled Vegetables.
- Toast up some crunchy bread and make a Homemade Panzanella Salad!
- Add them to a crisp summer salad with a protein like grilled shrimp, steak or chicken for the ultimate summer dinner.
** This post does contain affiliate links. Thank you for supporting Joyful Healthy Eats.**
Also Check: How Long Do You Grill A Pork Tenderloin
Grilled Green Bean Salad With Red Peppers And Radishes
This salad is tailor-made for cookouts, particularly because most of the workmaking a quick vinaigrette and adding radishes, scallions, and red pepperscan be done in advance. All that’s left to do after that is quickly char the green beans and incorporate them into the salad. That basic technique works with all sorts of other ingredient combinations, too try a variation made with grilled broccolini, pickled chile peppers, olive oil, red onion, and lemon juice.
The Best Grilled Vegetables Marinade
Include fresh summer vegetables in your familys rotation of easy weeknight dinners with our recipe for the Best Grilled Vegetables Marinade.
This is a great side dish for using that bounty of summer produce from your garden or farmers market. You can grill just about any hearty seasonal vegetables youve got available!
You wont believe how simple it is to whip up a zesty, tangy, bright and bold grilled veggie marinade in just minutes. I dare say that these marinated vegetables will wind up being the star of your meal
Don’t Miss: Can I Convert My Propane Grill To Natural Gas
May Contain Heavy Metals
In addition to arsenic, seaweed can contain other heavy metals. For instance, varieties of red seaweed may contain cadmium, copper, manganese, and nickel in higher concentrations than other types of seaweeds. This appears to be especially true if theyve been grown in southeastern China.
Mercury, a heavy metal linked to cognitive impairment and neurodevelopmental problems in babies when consumed by pregnant women, is a contaminant of concern in all types of seafood. Unfortunately, some research has found that blood levels of mercury are higher among people who eat the most seaweed, compared to people who eat the least. Warmer water temperatures can increase the amount of mercury absorbed by fish in these areas, and the same effect may occur in seaweeds which is especially concerning with global warming trends.
The presence of heavy metals in seaweed especially red varieties is another reason to consume these foods in moderation.
How To Grill Just About Any Vegetable
Two grilling methods are all you need to cook summers bounty, from broccoli to asparagus, cauliflower to tomatoes. Even leafy greens benefit from a brief turn on the grill.
- Read in app
The summer grilling season is upon us, and so are the vegetables. When it comes to cooking summers bounty, its hard to surpass an open fire. Grilling maximizes a vegetables flavor, with minimal effort and a decided measure of showmanship. No one gathers around a stove to watch you boil or steam broccoli. But sear that broccoli over a hot fire on the grill, and you both become stars of the show.
The ultimate reason to grill vegetables is taste: Fire almost always makes them taste better. The high, dry heat of the grill caramelizes a vegetables sugars, intensifying its sweetness. Grilling imparts a subtle but inimitable smoke flavor, which adds complexity and soulfulness to a vegetables already vibrant taste.
But which vegetable, and whats the best way to grill it? Here, the story becomes a bit more complicated just a bit because while virtually every vegetable can be grilled, not all should be cooked the same way.
The key to grilling virtually any vegetable is the mastery of two basic methods and a couple of easy, though specialized, techniques.
You May Like: What Temperature To Grill Pork Chops
How Sea Vegetables Are Used
If you havent been used to eating sea vegetables as a regular part of your diet and lifestyle up to this point, youre probably wondering how to use them.
Seaweed is actually commonly used as a thickening agent in food and cosmetics, so you might find it both in your kitchen and your bathroom. For example, carrageenan, a mixture of polysaccharides from red and purple seaweeds, may be found in both conventional and organic foods, including plant-based milks.
Sea vegetables may also be found in supplements. Algal oil is becoming more frequently used in vegan omega-3 supplements. Kelp and other seaweed may also be used in iodine supplements.
And, of course, many varieties of seaweed can be eaten on their own, usually in dried or dehydrated form. Just make sure to follow the recommended serving size to avoid overexposure of nutrients like iodine and sodium, as previously discussed.
Can I Add Meat In With My Grilled Vegetable Skewers
Yes! Meat can be threaded onto your skewers in between your vegetables, but its important that you use meat that also has a similar cooking time. Cubes of chicken are a great option as well as cubes of steak, like top sirloin, ribeye, or New York strip steak.
If you like this recipe, you may also be interested in these other fantastic grilling recipes to go with it:
Also Check: What Temp To Cook Pork Chops On The Grill
How To Marinate And Grill Veggies
1. First, prep the veggies. Trim and slice all of the vegetables into long strips as shown. This makes them less likely to fall through the grill grates.
2. Place the vegetables on a large rimmed baking sheet, and pour the marinade over the vegetables. Then gently toss the veggies to coat in the marinade.
3. Allow the vegetables to marinate for at least 30 minutes, or up to several hours.
You can marinate hard vegetables like carrots in the fridge overnight however, I wouldnt recommend marinating softer veggies, such a zucchini and asparagus, for that long.
4. When almost ready to cook, preheat the grill to medium heat, about 350 degrees F.
5. Once the grill is hot, place the carrots on first, laying them across the grates so they dont fall through. Let the carrots grill for 3-4 minutes, then flip them over. Then lay the rest of the vegetables on the grill.
As mentioned, you can use any vegetables you like with this marinade. But a pro tip for grilling: Be sure to place the hardest, most dense, vegetables on the grill first to give them a head start. Root vegetables will need more time to grill than other vegetables.
6. Give the marinated grilled vegetables a few more minutes, flipping half way through cooking once a nice char has formed. Remove with tongs and plate to serve.
Should I Marinade My Vegetables Before Hand
I would recommend not marinading your vegetables. I find that adding a marinade thats made with citrus or vinegars will break down your vegetables instead of keeping them crisp. If you would like to prep your vegetables ahead of time, you could cut them one day before and season with olive oil, salt and pepper then store in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator.
Read Also: How Long To Grill 1.5 Lb Pork Tenderloin
May Be High In Sodium
Many sea vegetables contain high levels of sodium, which can be detrimental if someone already has a diet thats high in this mineral.
Too much sodium can lead to increased blood pressure and fluid retention in the body, which can raise your risk for cardiovascular disease. This is because high blood pressure stiffens the arteries, reduces the flow of oxygen and blood through them, and makes the heart work harder to pump blood throughout the body.
Sodium intake may also need to be monitored in the event of an existing health condition like kidney disease or hypertension, to prevent the condition from worsening. High sodium intake can increase protein in urine, which can further the decline of kidney function among people with already deteriorating kidneys.
To avoid excess sodium intake from seaweed, it may be prudent to only eat it in small portion sizes, especially if your diet contains other sources of sodium or added salt. You can also soak dried sea vegetables in water, and then pour off the water, which may get rid of a lot of the sodium.