What We Looked For
If you take good care of your fire an outdoor grill can top 550°, which I wasnt expecting any of these grills to do. What I did expect was for each one to cook well enough to leave grill marks on the food and for the food to get cooked through in a reasonable amount of time .
This is a concern for any indoor space but especially important in my particular situation because I dont have a fume hood. Fortunately, none of the grills tested produced more smoke than simply searing something on our gas stove, so this didnt end up being a factor at all.
The beauty of an outdoor grill is that the fire does most of the cleaning for youall youve really got to do is scrape off any stuck-on bits with a brush and oil the grates. I expected cleanup would be relatively easy for all of the grills I tested because they all had nonstick gratesand I was right! Like smoke, this didnt end up being a factor either.
Smokeless Indoor Grill Recipes For Guests
If you want to wow your guests try one of these extra yummy indoor grilling recipes.
- My Forking Life has created a scrumptious dish with this indoor grill Chili Lime Shrimp recipe.
- We love pizza and this indoor grilled traditional pizza from the Kitchen Whisperer sounds amazing.
- Once you have indoor grilled Tequila Shrimp you will be hooked. Thanks to Life with Heidi for this awesome recipe.
How To Find The Best Indoor Grill For You
Before buying an indoor grill, consider these things:
- Size: For one to two people, an area of up 80 square inches is ideal. An area of 100-150 square inches can feed three to five people. For larger groups, you will have to cook in batches since indoor grill sizes cap at about 150 square inches.
- Design: Open grills mimic the design of outdoor grills without a lid you have to flip the food to cook it evenly. Contact grills have top and bottom grill that can quickly cook your food on both sides simultaneously . Anything you can grill outdoors can be cooked on either of these two types and many of these grills.
- Versatility: Some models open flat and allow you to swap out the grill with a griddle or waffle plate. Anything that has removable plates that are dishwasher safe makes cleanup a breeze.
- Heat: Certain models do not allow you to set a cooking temperature, while others are adjustable within a range. If you want a good sear on your steak or burgers, make sure that it goes up to 500ºF.
Here are the best indoor grills you can buy in 2021, according to testing and popular reviews:
- Air fryer and indoor grill in one
- Large capacity can fit 6 steaks or 24 hot dogs at once
- Top-performing brand in Lab evaluations
Recommended Reading: Do Pellet Grills Use Propane
Honey Lime Grilled Chicken
Theres something about the combination of honey and lime that elevates any dish. It is certainly true with this honey lime grilled chicken recipe. These two simple ingredients result in a grilled chicken dish bursting with flavor when combined with the other Asian-inspired spices. Get ready for this chicken dish to become a firm favorite in your household.
How Long Do You Cook A Steak On An Electric Grill
Steaks of beef A 1-inch boneless sirloin steak should be grilled on a covered grill for between 5 and 11 minutes, depending on how well done you want your steak: medium rare takes 5-7 minutes, medium well takes 7-9 minutes, and well done takes 9-11 minutes, depending on how well done you want your steak.
Recommended Reading: Internal Temp For Pork Loin On Grill
The Best Indoor Grill For Steaks
Cooking with the Hamilton Beach® Indoor Searing Grill is so easy.
Just plug it in and turn the temperature dial all the way up to sear. When it reaches the high searing temperature of 450 degrees, the green preheat light will glow.
Now youre ready to sear steaks, burgers, pork chops, or fish fillets to perfection. If you want to grill food that doesnt need to sear first, the Searing Grill has an adjustable temperature dial to let you grill at a lower heat.
Get The Right Tools For Indoor Grilling
While you don’t need all these appliances, having one or two helps grease the wheels of your indoor grilling.
A Stovetop Smoker: A stovetop smoker will make your stove into a grill station, producing succulent ribs, chicken, fish and pork in under an hour. Try Cameron’s Stovetop Smoker, an easy-to-use option consisting of a roasting pan, rack, and lid.
A Cast Iron Griddle: If you’re grilling cuts of meat like steaks indoors, it’s that flavor-locking sear you need. Invest in a cast iron Lodge Reversible Griddle, and you’ll be ready to brown until you get appetizing-looking sear marks. Measuring 16.75 inches by 9.5 inches, this griddle is large enough for two or even three steaks, depending on how many ounces you’re grilling. If you don’t have enough space for a griddle, a small grill pan is the second-best option.
An Electric Grill: Are you looking to grill small cuts of meat Japanese or Korean-style, like microbrisket, pork belly, or bulgogi? Try placing this non-stick grill pan on this small indoor electric grill by Zojirushi, which will allow perfect control of your marinated bulgogi or thinly-sliced microbrisket so you don’t burn anything.
A Grill Basket: A grill basket can give you the opportunity to char veggies and other items over an open stovetop flame. Try placing your food on a mesh grill mat on top of a metal stovetop grilling rack, or place it inside a grill basket.
You May Like: Char Broil Cast Iron Grill Grates
Three Steps To Juicy Pork Chops From The Grill
Read Also: Where Is Serial Number On Weber Grill
Expert Tips And Tricks
- Make sure your grill is properly heated before adding the pork. Test by flicking a bit of water on the grill. If it sizzles and evaporates immediately, its ready.
- For beautiful grill marks, leave it alone and dont move it around after placing it on the grill. It will release easily when its done on that side and youll see clear grill marks.
- For diagonal grill marks, rotate the meat 45 degrees.
- Be sure not to heat your grill too high. The marinade contains sugar which can easily burn.
- 2 center-cut boneless pork chops, 1/2 to 3/4? thick
- 2 tsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Total time: Author: Jason
1. Brush the pork chops with EVOO on both sides. Season the pork all over with salt and pepper. Set the chops aside while you preheat the grill. Additional seasonings of your choice can be added at this point.
2. Preheat your George Foreman Grill for at least 5 minutes on high. Grill the pork chops with the top closed for 4 minutes. Check the temperature with a meat thermometer inserted into the center. You are looking for a minimum internal temperature of 145°F for medium and up to 160°F for well done. Continue to grill if necessary.
3. Remove the chops to a cutting board or plate and rest it for 5 minutes. Serve with your favorite sides. Suggestions follow the recipes.
You May Like: Can You Grill Chicken Thighs
How Do Smokeless Indoor Grills Work
There are two styles of indoor grills, and each one provides smokeless cooking using slightly different methods.
- Firstly, there is the open-grill style. The heat source for these grills concentrates the heat on the cooking surface. For that reason, the drip pan, located below, remains cool and fat drizzles dont simmer and smoke.
- Secondly, there is the contact-grill style. These grills have a hinged lid, and the heat sources are located in the base and top. However, these grills are angled with a drip pan outside the cooking surface. And for that reason, fat drizzles dont simmer or smoke.
However, the good news is no matter what smokeless indoor recipes you use, both types of grills result in a great finished product.
The Best Indoor Grill Cookbooks
Many people are using indoor grills, but you may be wondering what the best cookbook for these appliances is. This cookbook features 125 recipes specifically for indoor grills, plus tips and techniques for making the most of your indoor grilling experience. Indoor grilling is now a popular hobby and can be used throughout the year. To get started, simply purchase the cookbook and start cooking! Here are the best indoor grill cookbooks:
- Experts Choice: The Best Indoor Grill Criticism Passed Our Test 2022
Also Check: Pit Boss 72820
Trick For Perfectly Cooked Pork Chops
- Pork is considered safe to eat at 145 degrees F. Its internal temperature will continue to rise as the pork rests, however, so if you wait until your pork chop hits 145 on the grill, it will be overcooked by the time you eat it.
- I prefer to pull pork from the grill when it reaches 135 degrees F, covering it, and letting it rest for 10 minutes to let the carry over cooking finish the job and the meats juices to reincorporate. This method yields perfectly cooked, juicy pork every time!
What Is An Indoor Grill
An indoor grill is exactly what it sounds like: A grill that is designed for use indoors. Most models are electric-powered griddles that feature raised ridges on the griddle plate, leaving grill marks on the food as it cooks. The ridges also keep the food elevated from the grease, allowing it to drain off and reducing the overall fat content of the dish. Like electric griddles, they often come with several temperature settings, too.
You can also use a grill pan as an indoor grill. These pans are designed with the same raised ridges as the electric models, but theyre used on your stovetop. Learn more about the most common types of grills.
Read Also: Grease Stain On Pavers
Grilled Peach Nutella Sundaes
Our final smokeless indoor grill recipes selection comes to us courtesy of She Knows. You will find yourself sweetly surprised by this delicious grilled dessert recipe.
What you need
- 4 maraschino cherries
How you make it
Firstly, feel free to substitute nectarines for peaches if you prefer.
Secondly, the original recipe listed the whipped topping and maraschino cherries as optional items. However, we decided to axe that idea. In this case, its just gilding the lily.
How To Cook Steak On An Indoor Grill
Transfer the steak from the sauté pan to the indoor grill and cook for about 5 minutes per side.Steak should be cooked for roughly 4 minutes on one side and another 4 minutes on the other side for medium rare. What is the finest indoor grill for cooking steaks and other meats?Hamilton Beach 25360 Open Indoor Flavor/Searing Grill is a new addition to the Hamilton Beach line.
You May Like: Cleaning Traeger Grills
How To Grill Thick Cut Pork Chops
1 Prepare and marinate the pork chops. Pat pork chops dry with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture. Then brush them with avocado oil or olive oil lightly. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Set aside.
2 Prepare the grill. Heat up your gas grill to a temperature between 350-450 degrees F. Somewhere around 400F seems to work best, though the grill may fluctuate. Make sure the heat is stable before adding the pork chops.
3 Grill the pork chops. Because you greased the pork chops, there is no need to brush the grill grates with oil. Add seasoned pork chops to the hot grill over direct heat, then brush a generous amount of BBQ sauce on one side. Let them cook for 6 minutes, then flip over and brush the other side with BBQ sauce. Cook for another 6 minutes.
4 Tent & Serve. Remove from the grill and add a piece of foil on top. Let the pork chops rest for 5-8 minutes before slicing and serving. Top with additional BBQ sauce if desired.
What Is The Best Way To Cook Steak Indoors
The 4-3-2 Method
Also Check: How To Care For Cast Iron Grill Pan
Grilled Plums With A Lemon Curd Whipped Cream
You know we cant go through a list of grilling recipes without some dessert recipes, so here are two. Grilling fruit brings out the sweetness while adding a smoky hint to whatever youre grilling, even with a grill pan. The plums in this grilled plum and whipped cream recipe lose some of their tartness while gaining plenty of sweetness. The lemon curd whipped cream is a light and refreshing accompaniment to the grilled plums.
How Do You Cook A Filet Mignon On A Smokeless Grill
Turn the burners on one half of a gas grill to the highest setting while leaving the burners on the other half of the grill off. Cooking the steaks on the hot, direct heat side of the gas grill until the internal grill temperature has reached around 450 degrees F is a good idea. Grill for 3 minutes, then flip the grill a quarter turn .
Recommended Reading: How Long To Grill Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
Tools For Grilling Indoors
You may be surprised to find that you dont need a host of special equipment to create iconic backyard barbecue flavors indoors in fact, you likely already have most of what youll need. Still, there are some tools that can boost your indoor grilling sessions, so theyre worth checking out if youre hoping to bring the cookout into your kitchen.
What Else Should I Look For
Size: Grilling surfaces typically range from 60- to 200-square inchesbut bigger isn’t always better. It all comes down to how many people you’re feeding. An 80-square-inch grill is good for a one-to-two person home, while 100+-square-inch can comfortably grill enough food for families of three to five. Of course, you can always feed larger parties, you’ll just need to grill more than one batch.
Power: A solid range to cook any different type of food is 1300 to 1800-watts . Some smaller and less expensive grills only reach 800 watts, which is certainly doableit just may not be ideal for cooking thicker cuts of meat.
Heat: If you can, it’s always better to opt for an indoor grill with an adjustable heat range, rather than one without a dial or button. This way, you can vary whether you’re sizzling some veggies on low heat or searing a thick cut of meat at up to 500 degrees.
Grill Plates: Contact grills are often used as presses, but if you’re feeding a crowd you can always keep the lid open and grill on both surfaces. This literally doubles your cooking space. Also, it won’t affect you’re grilling experiencing, but removable grill plates will make cleaning up so much easierespecially if they’re dishwasher safe!
Filter: There’s no need to get your smoke detector all worked up for nothing. Despite their size, these small grills can get pretty smokyif your kitchen doesn’t have the best ventilation, a grill with a built-in filter will cut the smoke levels way down.
Also Check: How To Register Weber Grill