Grilling Thinly Sliced Chicken Breast
How To Grill Thinly Sliced Chicken Breast? Chicken is probably the most versatile cooking ingredient found on earth. That means you can infuse uncountable flavors in it, mold its look in any way you want, and, most importantly, cook it in a good number of ways. For instance, you can fry its legs convert the meat into mince and sauté, and many more. However, thin-sliced Chicken breast cooked upon a grill stands out from the competition for many reasons.
It is not only a treat for your taste buds but also carries some fantastic health benefits. For instance, do you know that thinly sliced grill chicken is the worlds favorite meal as it boosts bone density, helps to lose weight, is rich in protein, and the list goes on and on.
However, one must know How to grill thin-sliced Chicken breast to reap its maximum benefits. So, if you are also that individual seeking similar information, then look no far as you have found yourself the correct article. So without any further discussion, lets start the conversation.
How To Grill Chicken On Stove
Learn how to make the best tender, juicy and delicious chicken breasts right on your stove-top in a grill pan or cast iron pan. I dont know where Id be without grilled chicken. I grill chicken all year for meal-prep and for so many recipes too. Grilled, skinless chicken breasts make a great addition to a healthy diet because they are low in calories and high protein. Eating chicken breast, without breading or skin, helps you eat fewer calories and even burn extra calories for effective weight loss. I always make extra and save it for salads, in burritos, pasta or meal prepping!
Because we dont always have access to the outdoor grill year round, I make the chicken on the stove-top most of the time. To make tender juicy grilled chicken you will need a heavy duty grill pan. A cast iron pan with ridges works best but if your cast iron pan doesnt have ridges, you can still grill the chicken on it too.
For the seasoning, I usually switch it up each time I make the chicken and dont really measure but for the sake of this recipe Ive included my favorite herb and seasoning mix. You can also used a packet of taco seasoning or your favorite herbs and spices and make it your own.
Looking To Grill Other Cuts Of Chicken
Ive got your back! Heres how to grill chicken drumsticks and thighs:
For chicken drumsticks:
- To grill: preheat your grill to medium high and lightly oil the grate. Place the chicken on the grill and cook for 8 minutes, then flip, brush with the reserved marinade, and grill for an additional 8 minutes. Turn the chicken over one last time, brush again with the remaining marinade, and cook for 5 more minutes, or until no pink remains in the center of the chicken.
- To bake: preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place a oven-safe rack on a large baking sheet and grease with nonstick cooking spray so that the chicken doesnt stick to the pan. Place the drumsticks on the pan with the thicker part of the drumstick to the outside. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until cooked through.
For boneless skinless chicken thighs:
- To grill: preheat your grill to medium high and lightly oil the grates. Cook your chicken thighs for 6-8 minutes per side, flipping once. When the internal temp reaches 165 degrees F your chicken is done.
- To bake: preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and bake your chicken thighs for about 25-30 minutes or until the internal temp reaches 165.
For skin-on chicken thighs:
Read Also: Weber Grill Parts Sale
Choose Skinless Organic Chicken Breast
Chicken breasts boneless meat makes it easy to cook, and goes brilliantly either just as a side or as part of a burger. It is true that the larger the food, the longer it will take to cook, however I think that give so much more flexibility with what you actually use them for.
When it comes to picking your breast, try to pick organic. Not only are there clear ethical reasons behind buying organic chicken meat, but organic meat is always far superior in quality.
Organic chicken meat often has a far better texture and quality of taste than non-organic varieties.
Also try to buy skinless. The meat in chicken breast is generally very lean, but the skin can contain layers of fat that can render and turn greasy when cooked on the grill.
Here Are A Few Ways To Tell If Your Chicken Is Cooked:
The most important factor to moist grilled chicken is to not overcook. Grill chicken according to the heat and times in this recipe, and watch carefully.
- Internal temp: The internal temp should reach 165° F to be safe. Pro tip: You can cook chicken slightly less to 160° and let it rest 5-10 minutes under foil. It will continue to cook to a safe temp and be moister.
- Visual check:Cut into the center of the chicken breast with a knife. It should be white, with just the slightest hint of pink. If its pure white and looks stringy inside, its overcooked. Note: using this method while the chicken is still cooking or before resting will cause some liquids and moisture to drain out.
- Test for firmness: Remove chicken from the grill. Once cooled slightly, press in the center with finger. It should have a little bit of give but also not be squishy feeling. Note: this method takes practice is the least accurate.
Read Also: Can I Put Grill Grates In Dishwasher
How To Grill Chicken Thighs And Drumsticks
The frequently used thighs and legs of a chicken result in the succulent fat-laden dark meat thighs and drumsticks. Harder to overcook and, in my opinion, more flavorful than breasts, thighs and drumsticks are among my favorite cuts to grill. Heres what to do:
How Long Should You Marinate Chicken
Give it 5-6 hours for the best flavour and texture if you don’t have that long, even 10 minutes of marinating will give flavour to the outside of chicken. Marinades without acid can be left longer but won’t make them work any better, so stick to 24 hours as a maximum. We also wrote bbq rub recipe for chicken.
Read Also: Temperature For Grilling Pork Chops
How Long To Grill Chicken Wings
Like thighs and breasts, the USDA recommends a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Using an instant-read thermometer is the best way to know when your chicken wings are done, but you can use this estimated cooking time as a guide:
- Whole chicken wings: 25 minutes total, flipping occasionally
What Are The 4 Basic Types Of Seasoning Ingredients
There are four basic types of seasoning ingredients: Salt . Pepper Sugar and light-flavored sweeteners Acids When you season a food, you add just enough of one or more of these ingredients to change the food’s basic taste, but not enough to add a whole new taste. Salt Salt is an important seasoning. More reading: bbq rub for chicken.
Recommended Reading: How Long Do You Grill Salmon On A Gas Grill
How To Brine Chicken Breasts
A brine is a “salt-water bath” where the salt will go into the meat dragging water with it. It will help keep the meat moist during cooking. And in dry-heat methods, like grilling, brining can make a major difference.
You can still get good results without a brine, but you will be consistently better with a brine. Also, if the breasts have been previously frozen, they do lose some moisture, and brine will help that.
I use a brine of 2 cups of water with a tablespoon of table salt. You can add other flavors like garlic or sugar to this, but this discussion is about the basics.
With this brine, you can get fairly good results in 20 minutes. You can brine for up to 1 hour. More than that leaves too much salty taste to me.
After brining, you should carefully rinse the salt off the surface. For food safety, try not to splatter and lean up with an anti-bacterial cleaner in the sink area. See
Never use seasoning with salt if you have brined.
Benefits Of Grilling Chicken Breast On Gas Grill:
1. It is simple and quick
2. The results are delicious
3. You can avoid common mistakes and end up with perfectly cooked chicken every time.
4. Gas grilling is a quick and easy way to cook chicken, and with a few simple tips you can avoid common mistakes and end up with perfectly cooked chicken every time.
5. Chicken that is grilled on a gas grill is juicy and flavorful.
6. Gas grilling chicken breast is a great way to cook chicken for a crowd.
7. It is easy to control the heat when grilling chicken on a gas grill, which helps to prevent overcooking.
8. Grilling chicken on a gas grill is an excellent way to enjoy the summer weather with family and friends, while still enjoying delicious, nutritious meals.
Also Check: Pork Tenderloin On The Grill Temp
What Is The Best Temperature To Cook Chicken On A Gas Grill
For the majority of chicken, a grill surface temperature of 450° is ideal. On most gas barbecues, this is considered medium-high heat. If you are using a charcoal grill, you will need to close the damper a little bit to avoid excessive heat. Cooking the chicken at a high temperature will cause the skin to dry up before the inside is safe to consume.
Chicken In Foil On Bbq
Cooking chicken in foil on the BBQ is an easy way to avoid turning on the oven and heating up the house. A chicken and vegetables in foil packets recipe is fully customizable. Use the vegetables and seasonings that you and your family love.
The consistent ingredients in the recipe are chicken breasts, pounded to an even thickness, and heavy-duty aluminum foil. Heavy-duty foil is thicker, and better able to withstand being packed with ingredients and exposed to high heat.
Good seasonings include some combination of salt and pepper, paprika, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and thyme. A drizzle of olive oil helps keep the chicken moist as it cooks.
The vegetables you choose to add to chicken in foil on the grill are largely up to you. Usually, faster-cooking vegetables are best, such as zucchini, corn kernels, bell pepper, onion, spinach and mushrooms. Potatoes or sweet potatoes may be added, if cut into a small dice.
As for sauce, use your favorite bottled barbecue sauce. Other options include honey-mustard, teriyaki or even ranch or Italian salad dressing. You could also go sauce-free, and use just garlic, herbs and olive oil to create flavor.
Don’t Miss: What Temperature Should Pork Chops Be Grilled At
Why You Should Let Your Pellet Grill Chicken Breast Rest
You should always let your pellet grill chicken breasts rest after cooking. Heres why.
When the chicken is heated, the juices near the chickens exterior evaporate into the surrounding air. Most of the juices that stay in the chicken are drawn towards the center. The juiciness is concentrated.
If you cut into your chicken right away, all that lovely juice spills out.
But, if you let it rest, magic happens. Well, really, its science. The juices in the interior want balance, so they make their way out of the center and spread out across the chicken evenly.
Thats how you get tender, juicy chicken.
So, put your cooked chicken on a clean plate. Cover it with some tin foil. And let it rest for at least 5-10 minutes.
Grilled Chicken Breast Marinade
Spoiler alert! The best grilled chicken breast marinade isnt an exact pre-measured packet of sauce that you buy at the store. The perfect grilled chicken marinade is one that you can customize yourself.
Every great marinade has 5 key elements that make your chicken absolutely lip-smacking and the best part is that you can build it to your liking. The basic recipe looks like this:
- Acid. White wine vinegar goes great with chicken but other vinegars, wines, fruit juices, Worcestershire sauce or a combination of these are tasty options as well.
- Fat or oil. This recipe uses olive oil, a solid choice, but you can use other affordable options here as well
- Flavor and seasonings Snag some pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic, and Parmesan cheese for this recipe, or add your own favorite fresh herbs, garlic, ginger, or peppers.
- Salt. Tossing in some good ol kosher salt or sea salt is a great option. You can also use savory ingredients like soy sauce to add some salt to your marinade.
- Sugar. White sugar is all you need for this recipe, but Im fond of using brown sugar, honey, or molasses in my marinades as well.
Read Also: Convert Propane Grill To Charcoal
When Is Chicken Done And Safe To Eat
According to the FDA, chicken is done at 165° internal temperature in the thickest part. A higher temperature will dry, and a lower temperature is unsafe. An instant-read thermometer is required to get this right.
Lower temperatures with specific rest times at those temperatures can be used if you want to research those. As a retired doctor, I treated many cases of food poisoning and do not recommend anything lower than 165° since people cheat on timing.
How Do Restaurants Make Chicken So Tender
Brine is a salt and water solution and works like marinade though it doesn’t have spices or things like eggs and yogurt. The chicken is left in the bine solution for hours. This allows a restaurant chicken to be tender and juicy because the moist penetrates deep. See more: chicken breast pressure cooker recipes.
Read Also: Easy To Clean Grill Pan
Add The Lemon Pepper Seasoning
This seasoning is very basic but very good. Now you could zest a lemon yourself but I prefer to buy this spice, California lemon peel.
All you need to do is add the lemon zest, freshly cracked pepper, and salt together and mix them really well.
Sprinkle the seasoning over the meat evenly. You want the seasoning to be on all sides of the chicken. Dont be afraid to be liberal with the seasoning because you will lose some during the grilling process.
How To Grill Chicken Breast On A Gas Grill:
The first step is to preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Then, season your chicken breast as desired we recommend using a simple spice rub or marinade for added flavor.
Coat chicken lightly with oil this will help to prevent sticking and ensure even cooking. Then, place chicken on the grill, flipping once halfway through cooking time.
Grill chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. This will ensure that the chicken is cooked all the way through without being dry or overcooked.
Once chicken is fully cooked, remove it from the grill and allow to rest for a few minutes before cutting and serving. This will help to keep the juices in, resulting in juicier, more flavorful chicken.
Don’t Miss: Can You Put Weber Grill Grates In The Dishwasher
How To Prepare And Preheat Your Grill
While your chicken is marinating and before youre ready to grill it, its important to get your grill ready.
What Is The Best Internal Temperature For Chicken
If you only remember one temperature, its 165 degrees F . This is the minimum safe internal temperature of chicken.
While you want to cook your legs and thighs a bit higher, you will know that theyre safe to eat.
Some recipes will tell you to cut the meat, and if the juices run clear, the chicken is cooked. Clear juices are not a reliable indicator of doneness. Depending on the age of the bird, juices might not run clear until its way overcooked.
You May Like: How To Season Cast Iron Grill Grates Weber
Quick Tips For Grilling Chicken Breasts:
How long do I grill chicken breast?
Grill chicken breasts for around 9 to 10 minutes total, flipping halfway through.
How long do you grill chicken on each side?
Grill chicken breasts around 5 minutes on each side.
What’s the perfect grilled chicken temp?
Internal temperature of chicken breasts should be 165°F.
How hot should your grill be for chicken?
Heat your grill to between 425 and 450°F for chicken breasts.