How To Make Homemade Bbq Sauce
Making homemade BBQ sauce is super simple! All of the ingredients are pantry and fridge staples and when simmered together make an incredible sauce that will become a family favorite.
All thats needed to make BBQ Sauce is one pot and about 10 minutes of time. Add all the ingredients to the pot and;whisk;them together. Bring the sauce up to a boil then reduce and simmer for 15 minutes. Let the sauce cool and you are ready to serve.
These chicken legs are great with the classic BBQ sauce in this recipe but they are also amazing when grilled with Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce.
How To Grill Chicken Perfectly
This post may contain affiliate links.
Learn how to grill chicken perfectly by pre-cooking in the oven before hitting the grill. ;That way, you know its fully cooked and juicy so you can relax and enjoy your guests without worrying about feeding them under-cooked or dry chicken.
Recently I found a way to make grilled chicken foolproof. What do I mean? I mean, its a way of grilling chicken where you know for sure that the meat is cooked through, and you know for sure that it is tender and juicy, definitely not dry.
This method is great for if youre having friends over because you can do most of it ahead of time. You can also make a big batch so if youve got a lot of friends, this recipes for you!
Grilled Chicken Legs Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Grilled Chicken Legs Recipe Chicken recipes are always a crowd-pleaser and this easy grilled chicken leg recipe will become a favorite!
There is just something about the simplicity of grilled chicken legs that I love.
Maybe its that chicken legs are just so simple and homey, comforting and delicious. It could be that I remember them being my favorite piece of chicken from my childhood or that they now are my sons.
But, whatever the reason, I realize that I just dont cook them nearly as often as I should.
I usually reserve this recipe for grilled chicken legs for the warmer months of spring and summer, but the other day before I headed out for the grocery store, my husband told me he would love to have these soon.
Well, you know that moved chicken legs to the top of my grocery list, dont you? I was now on a mission to bring a little bit of a warm weather meal to our house.
The chicken marinade is really what makes this grilled chicken so special.
I share all about the chicken marinade in another recipe post. It is one of those marinade recipes that just always works and everyone raves over. It comes together quickly and easily and imparts such a magical flavor in any chicken recipe that you use it with whether grilled or baked! But, since Sam loves grilled chicken legs, that is where we are using it today!
You May Like: How To Grill Frozen Salmon
Why Cant I Just Throw My Chicken Drumsticks On A Hot Grill To Cook
Bone-in, skin-on chicken legs can be tricky when you try cooking them on the grill. All too often, the skin burns, the outer meat dries out, and the inside of the drumstick is undercooked. Nothing worse than biting into a chicken leg that is still pink in the middle.
Some people recommend pre-cooking the drumsticks boiling them first until cooked through, then grilling the drumsticks just enough to crisp up the skin and caramelize the barbecue sauce. That can work but more often than not, the outer meat of the chicken leg often dries out using that method, because the fat from the skin has already rendered out by the time you get to grilling.
What You Need For Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
You might be surprised to learn you only need FOUR basic ingredients to make your own chicken legs. They all happen to be incredibly cheap as well! I picked up a massive bag of drumsticks at Costco for less than $10 and its been enough to feed our family for weeks!
- Drumsticks- Like mentioned above, drumsticks are relatively cheap compared to breasts. You can find them at most grocers and bulk stores.
- Oil- We used avocado oil and vegetable oil with great success.
- Seasoning- Find your favorite chicken seasoning. We really like the Traeger Citrus and Black Pepper Chicken Rub .
- Sauce- If you have never made your own barbecue sauce, I highly suggest you give it a try, or you can use your favorite brand.
Read Also: How Do You Make Bbq Chicken On The Grill
Grilled Chicken Thigh And Drumstick Recipes
The United States produces the most chicken of any country in the world. It’s easy to cook, tender, delicious, and its mild flavor is perfect as the starting point for many recipes. Dark meat or the thighs, drumsticks, and wings;have more flavor and fat, so they’re easier to cook on the high heat of the grill.;
You do need to be careful with chicken. Read All About Chicken to get safety and cooking tips. Remember to cook dark meat chicken to 165 F, with a 5 minute standing time so the temp rises to 170 F. The dark meat will still be tender and juicy.
Dry Brine With Kosher Salt
This is a trick to get your chicken skin to tighten up a bit and also get rid of some excess moisture on the surface so that you can get crispier skin.
Simply add a generous amount of salt to the entire part of the chicken quarter. Dont be afraid of the amount of salt, some will not be pulled into the meat and fall of on the grill.
Put the chicken into the fridge uncovered for at least 4 hours. You can go more or less with mixed results. Longer is typically better.
This is an important step if you want to get amazing grilled chicken leg quarters.
Tip: Doing a brine is also a great way to add flavor and crispiness to chicken wings and chicken breasts. And dont forget grilled chicken drumsticks!
Read Also: How To Care For Cast Iron Grill Pan
How To Grill The Perfect Chicken Drumsticks
Along with the drumsticks, I grilled up some green and yellow zucchini. I use grill stones which is perfect for grilling up veggies. Seasoned grill stones are totally non stick and provide a flat grilling surface, making sure that the vegetables do not fall through the grate. These summer vegetables were tossed with oil, herbs, salt, pepper and they perfectly complemented the drumsticks.
One of the great things about grilling drumsticks is that even the most modest sized grill can cook many drumsticks at once. These are ideal for grilling parties as it is possible to grill enough at once to feed a big crowd. On top of that, adults and kids alike tend to love grilled drumsticks. Children love eating with their hands and drumsticks, with lots of sweet sauce, are always a hit.
Make The Sauce And Rub
- In a medium saucepan, boil the apple juice and vinegar over medium-high heat until reduced by half, 5 to 7 minutes. Lower the heat to medium low and add the remaining sauce ingredients. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the rub ingredients.
Don’t Miss: How To Grill Burgers On Propane Grill
How Long To Cook Chicken Legs At 325 Degrees
There are different temperatures where you can cook chicken at. At 325 degrees Fahrenheit, you will need to cook the chicken for at least;60 minutes;with the grill lid closed.
Then again, the time will vary depending on the thickness of the chicken. Make sure to keep a meat probe at reach to measure the temperature if the chicken has reached the right temperature.
For a higher temperature, such as 350 degrees Fahrenheit, you will need to grill the chicken for about 35 minutes. Just make sure that the internal temperature of the chicken is;165 degrees Fahrenheit.
All Salt Is Not Equal
Salt is salt is salt… but it is not. All salt is NaCl, AKA sodium chloride,; but granules of various salts are different in size. So they pack together in different density.
The rough equivalent is 1 teaspoon table salt = 1 ¼ teaspoon Morton kosher salt = 2 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt.
I use Diamond Crystal and find I can get more pepper and garlic taste without overdoing the salt. If using Morton salt, there is a lot more sodium.
If you are using Morton salt or another coarse salt like sea salt, use 4 tablespoons – not 7.
This recipe and others on this site that calls for kosher or coarse salt will be referring to Diamond Crystal unless otherwise stated. You can adjust from there for what you have.
Also, things like sea salt, etc. usually are in the Morton salt range. They differ in the “trace minerals” they are “contaminated” with. Use them if you wish.
BUT since salt is mostly to taste, use what you want. If you are salt sensitive or restricting salt, try cutting the salt in half.
You May Like: How Do Smokeless Indoor Grills Work
What Are Chicken Leg Quarters
Chicken leg quarters are the thigh and drumstick, also known as the leg, of a chicken. The thigh and leg is also a quarter of a chicken hence the name chicken leg quarters.
Both the thigh and the drumstick contain dark meat which can be fatty and juicy. Both being fatty and juicy bring a lot of flavor to the chicken.
What Amount Of Time Does It Require To Cook Chicken Drumsticks
Temperature and time control are the two main constituents while grilling the chicken leg pieces. A barbecuing time within 25to30 minutes is excellent for practically any formula for completely delicious chicken drumsticks. But sometimes, people overcook the drumsticks because they have less information.
Overcooking can scorch and dehydrate your chicken, yet you need to ensure you dont half-cook poultry, all things considered. Keep your barbecue around 300-400°F and provide the interior warmth of the drumsticks is, in any event, 165-degree Fahrenheit.
Don’t Miss: How To Steak On Grill
Important Tips On Smoking Chicken Leg Quarters
We are going to smoke the quarters Low and Slow to make pulled chicken.; This means the meat needs to hit an internal temperature of about 185F so it pulls easy.; This is a higher temperature than you would use for smoked bone in chicken breasts or some grilled chicken quarters where we are not trying to shred the meat.
Tip #1: Make sure you brine the quarters so they stay juicy at this high internal temperature.
Tip #2: The skin is going to have a tough, leathery texture.; Dont worry about it.; The skin can be used in stock or makes a great dog treat.
How Do You Cook A Chicken Drumstick
Preparing a drumstick is as simple as any other cut of chicken.; Here is how you do it:
- Heat your grill to 400°F.
- Marinate or season the drumstick like you would any other piece of chicken. My favorite ways are our BBQ Rub or All-Purpose Marinade.
- Next, pour the charcoal on both sides of your grill leaving the middle open.; Place your drumsticks in the middle of the grill so they arent over direct heat.;;
- Cook using indirect heat for 18-20 minutes, flip and let cook for an additional 18-20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Its that simple. The cooking time can vary depending on how big your drumsticks are so just make sure to check the internal temperature before eating.;;
Read Also: How To Grill Bbq Chicken
How Long To Grill Bbq Chicken Leg Quarters
Cooking time may vary depending on the size of your chicken legs and the temperature of your grill.; Factors, such as whether you are using a charcoal or a gas grill could affect how long it takes for your meat to be finished.
Generally, it will take about 40-60 minutes. The key is to cook your chicken leg quarters over the most direct heat on your grill.
Any chicken you cook should have the internal temperature reach 165 degrees F before removing it from the grill. It is also important to let your chicken rest for 5 minutes before digging in.; If you do not have an instant read meat thermometer, another way to tell if the chicken is done is whether or not the juices run clear when you cut into the meat.
Why You Should Make These Grilled Bbq Chicken Legs
- they are easy to make and dont need any extra time to prepare since theres no marinating required.
- chicken legs are inexpensive so feeding your family or a crowd wont break your budget.
- the homemade BBQ sauce is made with just a few simple ingredients and produces an amped-up flavor thats so crazy delicious.
- they are juicy, smokey, sweet, and sticky. All you need is a stack of napkins!
Read Also: Where To Buy Kamado Joe Grill
The Best Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
Master your chicken drumsticks on your Traeger, and youll keep going back to this cut time and time again. Our how-to guide takes you through all the steps you need to reach poultry perfection.
- 1 Cup Traeger Apricot Sauce
1. With kitchen shears, trim half of the top and bottom knuckle off the chicken drum to release the tendons and ligaments.
1. Season each drumstick generously with Traeger Chicken Rub
2. Let drumsticks rest for 20 minutes.
1. Preheat Traeger to 275°F. 2. Place drumsticks directly on the grate for 30 minutes. Flip and cook for another 30 minutes. 3. Remove the drumsticks from the grate and place in a pan. Cover with foil and cook for 45 minutes or until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 190°F. 4. Remove foil and sauce all drumsticks in the pan. Cook for an additional 15 minutes so sauce can set. 5. Remove from Traeger and let rest for 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Secrets To Making The Best Grilled Chicken Legs
This recipe is an improved version of the;old one I posted on this page. There were two obvious reasons for the change. One is that the recipe had brown sugar and it made it almost impossible to properly brown the skin without some burning here and there. Not a huge problem but Id rather avoid it if I could. The other one is aesthetics and visual appeal. Somehow plain dry rub without any oil does not look so appetizing on grilled chicken legs. Here is the picture of the product of the old recipe, see the difference? So, in a nutshell, brown sugar is out and is substituted by dark soy sauce for some sweetness and color. Olive oil is in for better browning and visual appeal.
Read Also: How Do You Clean Gas Grill Grates
How To Grill Chicken
- Prepare and preheat your grill for two-sided grilling . For a gas grill, first, preheat the whole thing, then turn one or two burners down to medium. For a charcoal grill, build a two-level fire; one side should be three-four briquettes thick, the other one briquette thick.
- Make sure the grill rack is impeccably clean. Lightly oil the grill rack using a crumpled up paper towel dipped in oil. Hold the paper towel with tongs and rub it over the grill.
- Follow the recipe carefully. Bone-in chicken cooks for a longer time than boneless pieces. Cover the grill except when turning the chicken.
- First, brown and sear the chicken on all sides. Brown boneless thighs and drumsticks for 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Sear bone-in pieces for 5 to 6 minutes on each side. Never turn chicken until it can be moved easily or you’ll tear the meat.
- Move boneless chicken pieces to the cooler side of the grill and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes on each side, turning once, until a meat thermometer registers 165 F for thighs and drumsticks.
- Move bone-in pieces to the cooler side of the grill and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes on each side, turning once, until a meat thermometer registers 165 F for thighs and drumsticks.
- If you want to brush with a sauce, do so in the last 5 to 10 minutes on the grill or the sauce will burn.
- Remove chicken from the grill, cover, and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes to let the juices redistribute and to let the temp climb to the perfect number. Then serve it proudly.
Internal Temp Of Chicken Drumsticks
The most important part of getting a nice juicy, fall off the bone chicken is the internal temperature!
You need to reach an internal temp of 185 degrees F for drumsticks. Use a meat thermometer for this to get it right! I have one of these.
Optional: Add BBQ sauce and continue grilling chicken for an additional few minutes.
Now that you know how long to grill chicken legs its time to serve up and chow down! #yum!
Click here for Beer Can Chicken!
Read Also: How To Keep Grill Grates Clean
What To Serve With Chicken
Chicken legs are a great protein that is delicious and easy to eat. You can serve them as a meal or with a meal.
There are a million possibilities when it comes to sides to serve with chicken.
One of our favorite lunches to make are these;Sriracha Chicken Wraps. Theyre just easy and delish!
You might also like:
Preheat grill to medium-high 400 degrees F.
Trim any chunky fat off the thighs if you wish
Pat chicken dry with paper towel
Oil grill grates
Sprinkle;chicken with salt and pepper
Place legs; on grill for 5 minutes.
Turn and continue grilling and turning every 5 minutes for about 30 to 35 minutes or until chicken has;reached an internal temperature of 185 degrees F.
To get a char, apply your favorite BBQ sauce;at the 20-25;minute mark, flip and apply more as you wish.
So 185 degrees is the magic number for grilling chicken legs; use a thermometer to get this internal temp correct. The chicken leg meat will fall off the bone and be juiciest at this temperature.
Turn the chicken legs every 5 minutes or so to prevent burning the skin and assure youre cooking the chicken legs evenly.
Tip: Grill with lid closed. If youre lookin you aint cookin!
Youll want to apply the BBQ sauce early enough that you can apply more to the other side after flipping, and get a nice char all around.