Do You Use Mayo Or Butter For Grilled Cheese
You can use either butter or mayo for your grilled cheese. I prefer to use mayonnaise and if you havent tried it yet, you must! The egg in the mayo helps to get the outside of the sandwich super crispy. It also has a higher heat point so you can easily get all the cheese melted without burning the outside. Butter also works well for this recipe. The garlic butter grilled cheese is one of my favorites.
How To Make A Grilled Cheese In The Air Fryer
Truly the best air fryer grilled sandwich ever, and so easy to make!
Cooking time can vary slightly based on your air fryer so check it early.
Air Fryer TipIf your bread is thin or light the sandwich may not stay together as the air blows. You can either secure the sandwich with a toothpick or ensure you have a layer of butter on each side of the bread to help it all stick together.
Grilled Cheese In Air Fryer
Youre probably familiar with the classic way of making a grilled cheese sandwich in a skillet on the stovetop. But what If I told you that you can make this classic sandwich in your air fryer? No joking!
I am obsessed with my air fryer. I use it for everything these days including making these tasty, quick, and easy Grilled Cheese Sandwiches for lunch!
This recipe will work in any brand of air fryer. I have the Philips XXL. Be sure to read the hand book that comes with your appliance to familiarize yourself with how it works. Regardless of which brand and model you use, always make sure to follow the manufacturers instructions.
The best part of the grilled cheese is the crispy cheesy bits that come out the sides of the sandwich, so good! The air fryer toasts it up perfectly.
Don’t Miss: How To Prep A Grill
Tips For The Best Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- Quality is key. Dont skimp on the quality of the cheese. The success of the grilled cheese truly depends on it! Dont be afraid to mix two or three of your favorites.
- Picking the best bread. Country-style bread makes the best grilled cheese. If I have any leftover no-knead bread, Ill use that as well.
- Everythings better with butter. Apply butter generously on the outer sides of the bread to make it nice and crispy.
- Prevent spillage. Make sure the cheese is fully on the bread slice so it doesnt leak over the edges.
- Secure the sando. Pin the sandwich with a toothpick to prevent the top bread from flying off in the air fryer.
- Flip while you fry. Turn the grilled cheese over halfway through to make sure both sides brown.
- Not all air fryers are created equal. Know that your cooking times may vary depending on the air fryer you use.
How To Prepare Grilled Cheese In An Air Fryer Oven
Before moving onto cooking, first, lets make a list of the ingredients:
- Bread: Some people prefer using regular bread, while others go with sourdough bread. Both bread types are good to go you can use one type that suits you most.
- Cheese: It is the primary ingredient for making grilled cheese. You can use various types of cheeses, including melty, American, cheddar, Gouda, etc. No matter which cheese you select, make sure you have the best one.
- Mayo: Although it isnt mandatory, you can use mayonnaise as an additional ingredient.
- Butter: Butter will add flavor to your grilled cheese, so you shouldnt skip this item.
Now, you may think about why you should use both mayonnaise and butter in your dish. Even it may sound crazy! Well, if you use mayonnaise and butter and spread them on your bread, your grilled cheese will taste absolutely divine. If you havent ever tried it, you must follow the recipe and try it.
Apart from that, there are some more reasons for using mayonnaise on the grilled cheese, and these are: mayonnaise requires more time to get smoky, which means your bread gets enough time to get the golden texture.
Alongside the bread, cheese also gets adequate time to melt. Thanks to mayonnaise, your bread achieves a golden and crunchy texture and fluffy melty interior.
When you add butter besides mayonnaise, you create the perfect topping. Adding butter gives the best flavor that you desire. Thus, both are essential ingredients to add to your grilled cheese.
Also Check: The Acorn Smoker
How To Make Air Fryer Grilled American Cheese Sandwich
- Butter one side of each piece of bread.
- Place American Cheese in between both slices with the butter side out.
- Mayonnaise is also great to use for this Air Fryer Grilled American Cheese Sandwich.
- The sandwich then cooks in the Air Fryer or the Crisplid. .
If you like tomatoes, a nice slice of a tomato inside the sandwich is fantastic too!
We keep our bread frozen, so it is easier to butter.
Please check my article on How to Properly Season Air Fryer Basket before starting.
Best Cheese For Grilled Cheese
The classic sandwich uses white bread with American cheese. However, any melty cheese is good in a grilled cheese in my opinion!
Ive used Cheddar, Swiss, Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, Provolone, Gouda and probably a dozen other cheese varieties. They all have made for a great sandwich!
Use any kind of melty cheese you like and youre golden.
Also Check: Trager Steaks
Best Air Fryer To Use
There are so many great options on the market today. I use a Cosori 5.8 quart, you can read all about my experience and review here. A few other options to consider:
- OMORC 5.8 quart basket with a great price point.
- Ninja Foodie This machine is an air fryer, slow cooker and pressure cooker in one.
- Instant Vortex Made by Instant Pot, this is a 6-quart fryer.
Low Carb Options For Grilled Cheese
I prefer to use Kraft Deli Cheese Slices in my grilled cheese because they have a lower carb count.
I also enjoy using low carb breads such as Sola brand or Sara Lee Delightful Bread to bring down the carb counts while enjoying a grilled cheese from time to time.
You cant forget to make a big bowl of our Low Carb Crock Pot Creamy Tomato Soup. Yum!
Don’t Miss: P Settings On Traeger Grill
Tips And Tricks For Upgrading
Tip 1: One concern that I’ve heard about is that the air fryer makes the top piece of bread fly off because of the intense air circulation that goes on inside the appliance. To avoid this, you can simply stab the grilled cheese with a tooth-pic and voila – problem solved!
Tip 2: Don’t use any metal utensils to flip your grilled cheese. The nonstick is super important for the air fryer basket so you don’t want to use anything that might damage it.
Tip 3: Over the last 10 years, I’ve probably shared thousands of ways to upgrade a grilled cheese sandwich. Some of my most basic easy additions include adding bacon, avocado, spicy mayo, a fried egg, pickles, and the like.
For some of my more insane creations, you can to view all of my grilled cheese recipes that I’ve shared on this blog for the last 10 years.
But if you want even more tasty options, you should check out my first grilled cheese cookbook which features 60 different tasty ways to make a grilled cheese sandwich. I cover everything from breakfast and lunch to dinner and dessert!
Pro Tips For The Perfect Grilled Cheese
- For hard cheeses, grate cheese rather than slicing. It melts faster and more evenly.
- I like to let a bit of cheese hang off of the bread. It gets crispy, crunchy and browned.
- Know your air fryer. Air fryers cook at different wattages and therefore will be done at different rates. Closely check the sandwich the first time you make it in your air fryer to ensure it isnt getting too brown.
- Turn sandwich half way through the cooking process for better browning.
Recommended Reading: Cleaning Weber Gas Grill Grates
How To Make Grilled Cheese In An Air Fryer Oven
What Can You Add To Your Grilled Cheese
For extra flavor add a pinch of spices to the butter. I like Cajun seasoning for a little spice.
Add veggies like spinach, arugula, sautéed mushrooms, sautéed onions or finely chopped broccoli florets.
Tomato and bacon will make this the ultimate grilled cheese.
Air Fryer Grilled Ham And Cheese
These easy Air Fryer Grilled Ham and Cheese sandwiches are a perfectly crispy way to enjoy the classic combination of ham and cheese! Stack your sandwiches with slices of ham and your favorite cheese and get ready to enjoy melted cheesy goodness in just minutes!
Delightfully crispy, cheesy grilled ham and cheese sandwiches are super easy to make in your air fryer!
Don’t Miss: Temp For Pork Tenderloin On Grill
How To Make A Grilled Cheese In An Air Fryer
Start by buttering one side of each piece of bread. If your bread is very soft, you may need to soften the butter slightly before spreading. To soften the butter, microwave a tablespoon of butter on 30% power for 30 seconds or until softened. Spread the butter generously over the bread.
Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees. Place one slice of bread, butter side down, in the preheated air fryer basket.
Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of cheese, then top with a second slice of bread, butter side facing out.
Toast the sandwich in the air fryer for 4-5 minutes until golden brown. With an air fryer, there is no need to flip the sandwich, since the air fryer cooks on both sides at the same time.
Slice the sandwich in half and enjoy immediately! If you want to take things to the next level, try adding a little tomato jam into your sandwich!
Grilled Cheese In An Air Fryer
Grilled Cheese is the ultimate comfort food. A nice crisp golden brown grilled cheese sandwich with ooey-gooey melted cheese dipped in tomato soup is just what you want on a chilly winter day. It is also great when you are feeling under the weather.
Yes, yes, grilled cheese can be made easily on the stovetop. And those are fantastic. But Air Fried Grilled Cheese really gets an amazing crisp, more than traditional grilled cheese sandwiches.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fried Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Sliced Sour Dough Bread
- Sliced Cheese I use havarti
You May Like: Macaroni Grill Wolf Road
Best Air Fryer Grilled Cheese So Crispy
You havent lived until you try a Texas Toast Grilled Cheese in the Air Fryer! This is one of my favorite Air Fryer Recipes. Air Fryers are the best way to cook the perfect grilled cheese sandwich. So incredibly crispy on the outside and the melted cheese on the inside is amazing! Once you try it, you will never make it any other way.
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Ingredients
This air fryer grilled cheese couldnt be any easier. All of the ingredients are probably in your pantry right now. So what are you waiting for?
- Sourdough Bread: I prefer sourdough bread, but you can use your favorite bread.
- Cheese: Use any good melty cheese, American, gouda, cheddar or gruyere.
- Mayo: Dont confuse this with miracle whip.
- Butter: Adds flavor and helps to brown the bread.
Recommended Reading: Pork Chop Bbq Temperature
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese With Mayo
I used to make my grilled cheese on a skillet but now I make them in the air fryer because it is so simple and the air fryer makes the bread nice and toasty! I updated this post with a regular version of grilled cheese for those who dont follow the WW program and my WW version of grilled cheese. If you dont want to read through all the mumbo jumbo, click the jump to recipe link at the top of the page.
How To Make Grilled Cheese In An Air Fryer
I am absolutely in love with making grilled cheese in an air fryer. It creates the perfectly toasted sandwich with all that ooey gooey cheese in the middle.
And, you cant forget to make one of our yummy tomato soups to go along with your perfect grilled cheese.
Recipe was altered from Slow Cooker Revolution Volume 2s Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup.
Don’t Miss: Pork Grill Temperature
Making Incredible Grilled Cheese
This takes the same amount of time as your regular grilled cheese but will taste 5 times better.
Top Results For Grilled Cheese In The Air Fryer Oven
Read Also: Grills Already Assembled
The Best Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
Anyone else grow up heating bread and cheese in the microwave on unsupervised afternoons at home? The results were always terrible, with mushy bread and melted cheese that got everywhere but hey, you had a hot cheese sandwich to hold you over until dinnertime, and you didnt have to turn on the stove.
Thinking back on those early 90s afternoons, I really wish the air fryer had been around. I could have made the perfect grilled cheese sandwiches that my own kids make today, which turn out incredible every single time even when they use pre-grated cheese and basic sandwich bread.
Suffice it to say that the air fryer is the answer to always crispy, always gooey grilled cheese sandwiches. Heres how to make them and maybe teach your kids to make them, too.
Grilled Cheese Sandwich Tips
Tuck the grilled cheese securely inside the sandwich before air frying. If the cheese sticks out of the sides of the sandwich, it will burn due to the high heat of the air fryer.
Simply fold the edges of the cheese and tuck them inside the bread beforehand to avoid burning.
Don’t forget to butter the bread. Without butter, you won’t get that super crispy crunch on the outside of your toasted cheese sandwich.
Place the buttered side of the bread out. Watch for fly away bread! Air fryers work like convection ovens, circling hot air around your food.
The bread from your sandwich may not stay in place due to the air inside your air fryer.
If this happens, you can place a wire rack from your air fryer or instant pot over your sandwich to keep everything in place. If you are a total cheese lover and want to make your meal extra cheesy! Serve it with this 5 cheese mac and cheese!
Read Also: How Long Do I Grill Chicken Thighs
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese sandwiches are truly the best ever. Theyre perfectly crisp with melty cheese and theyre less greasy than a pan fried grilled cheese.
Of all of the things I cook in my Air Fryer, this is definitely a favorite.
How To Make Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
Take two pieces of bread and a slice of your favorite cheese.
Place the cheese in the middle of the two slices of bread. Butter or spray 1 side of the bread with cooking spray . Mayonnaise works as well. Place the butter side down first on the basket and then butter the other side.
Set the timer of your air fryer to 5 minutes at 350 degrees.
When the 5 minutes or done, flip the sandwich over so that the other side of the grilled cheese becomes toasty and golden brown. Air Fry for another 3 minutes. Please note that all air fryers do not cook the same. Might have to adjust cooking time accordingly.
Air Fryer Tip: When the bread is cooking in the air fryer it will sometimes move around because of the circulating air at the top. Most air fryers come with a trivet that you can place over the bread or find something heavy that is oven safe to set in your air fryer.
Don’t Miss: What Temperature To Cook Pork On Grill
What Makes This Recipe So Good
- Its so much easier than the skillet method. With a skillet, its super easy to overheat the pan and end up with a grilled cheese thats burnt on at least one side. Trust me, it happens even to the pros. With the air fryer, your sandwich comes out perfectly toasty on both sides, every time.
- Using two pieces of cheese per sandwich gives you this incredibly gooey filling. If youve only been using one before now, youll never go back.
- If you need a quick lunch, this is perfect on its own. For a larger meal, I like to have a grilled cheese with a cup of Instant Pot Tomato Soup on the side.