Making Pizza On The Grill
Its been ten years since I made pizza on the grill for the first time. I remember how much fun the kids had that day, discovering something new right along side me. Pizza is one of their favorite things to eat, even now as adults.
During the summer months, grilling my pizza is a much better option than cranking the oven up over 400 degrees. Like with any homemade pizza, it does require a little planning ahead. Chopping the toppings, making the pizza dough, pizza sauce, and if youre like me, the pizza sausage all should be done ahead of time.
To Grill Frozen Pizza
Did you know you can grill a frozen pizza too? Its easy!
- Defrost pizza on the counter or on low in the microwave.
- Cut an 18 piece of Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Foil and place the pizza on top.
- Grill on low for 10 minutes . Turn heat up to medium-low and cook an additional 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is crisped.
Grilling Pizza On A Gas Grill With A Pizza Stone
Cookouts arent just for hamburgers and hot dogs anymore. Believe it or not, pizza is one of the easiest things to cook on a grill. Grilling your pizza also gives it a charred flavor that you wont get from the oven.
If you have a gas grill and a pizza stone, quickly create a pie your guests will love. Having a pizza stone will make a big difference. It will help cook your pizza evenly, and remove that worry of your the dough sticking to the grill grates.
You May Like: Temperature For Grilled Pork
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Oven Review: Bake Delicious Pie
AamanoPizza.com content is free. When you make a purchase through referral links on our site, we earn a commission at no extra cost to you.
Green Mountain Pizza Ovens are the go-tos if you need an appliance synonymous with durability and top-of-the-line quality. They are perfect for making pizzas, pastries, bread, cookies, etc.
These pizza ovens are suitable for both indoor and outdoor cooking on your deck or patio, respectively. Hence, making it an excellent choice for many households.
So, suppose youre considering purchasing one. In that case, our detailed review of the Green Mountain Grill Pizza Oven should provide enough information to make an informed decision.
How To Make Perfect Grilled Pizza
Summers nearly here, and its time to give your oven a break and fire up the grill. If youve never made grilled pizza, youre seriously missing out. Cooking pizza on the grill is the perfect way speed up your summer dinner or cook for a crowdplus, its also one of the best ways to get a crisp crust and super melty toppings. Heres how to do it.
Read Also: Cooking Steaks On A Traeger
Grilled Pizza Recipe Highlights
This grilled pizza recipe is
- PERFECT. Yes, absolutely perfect. Beautifully golden brown crust with glorious charred grill marks, ooey-goeey melted cheese, & a hint of smoky flavor from the grill. Summer dinner truly does not get better than homemade pizza on the grill!
- STRAIGHT-FORWARD. Whether you grill with gas or charcoal, this grilled pizza recipe is for you! The pizza is grilled directly on the grill grates leveraging the 2-zone method, so you do not need a pizza stone, a pizza oven kit for your grill, or any other special pizza making accessories.
- VERSATILE. Dress it up with tons of different toppings, grilled pizza is perfect for easy weeknight dinners or for the most epic summer pizza parties!
Homemade pizza on the grilla real summertime MVP. Read on to learn more about How to Grill Pizza, or jump straight to the recipe& get grilling!
Get Your Pizza Dough + Toppings Ready
Don’t Miss: Register Your Weber Grill
Flip It And Flip It Good
After the dough is released, evenly cooked and its not sticking, flip it with tongs or a spatula or both and let that bottom set. Youre really just trying to set the dough and get it so its not wobbly. Bubbles are going to start forming and the side youre looking at is going to wind up being the bottom. You want that side to be a little bit flatter. Dont cook it too far or let it go too much. Its literally probably just 20 or 30 seconds. Then you want to take it off and put it on a cookie sheet or pizza peel so you can add your cheese, sauce and toppings.
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Oven Review
The Green Mountain Grill Pizza Oven is not a standalone oven like most products flooding the market. This attachment is designed to work with your BBQ grill to allow pizza lovers to make their favorite baked goods on the grill with the oven. Its attached externally without any fuss.
However, before purchasing this unit, you should ensure you own the Daniel Boone GMG Grill and Jim Bowie grills. Else, the attachment might just end up somewhere in your backyard with no real use.
The GMG Steel Pizza Oven features a versatile design. It has a quick cooking time, making it a clear winner in the competition. While it doesnt fit most pellet grills out there, this unit is arguably the best pellet pizza oven to splurge on.
This attachment is equipped with a pizza stone to ensure users make perfect pizza consistently within 2 4 minutes. This gadget measures 19.69 x 16.54 x 10.24 inches, which is portable enough for easy storage when not in use and easy to carry and set up for backyard parties and events.
Whats more? It weighs around 32 pounds and sports a durable construction of premium-grade stainless steel to guarantee this model will last many years to come. Above all, its capable of handling up to 800 degrees F to let you have that crispy pizza crust.
You May Like: Rat Grill
How To Make Homemade Pizza Inexpensively
All of my recipes are affordable to begin with but there are some things you can do to make sure youre spending well. Here are some of the strategies you can use to make this recipe more economical:
- Stock up on ingredients when they are on sale. When I find regular kitchen staples on sale, I buy a lot. Its a great way to save money on your groceries without clipping a single coupon. Im currently using a price book to track prices and thats saving me money. In this case, keep an eye on mozzarella cheese as its one of the ingredients that can range.
- Make your own dough. Homemade pizza dough takes just a few ingredients so you can make a batch for just a dollar or two.
Grilled Pizza On A Big Green Egg
May 15, 2020
When it comes to grilling pizza, its about a great dough and a hot fire. A few other tips are important when it comes to getting that golden crust and perfect flavor for Grilled Pizza on a Big Green Egg.
Grilling pizza is so much fun. Whether for a crowd, or just for your Friday pizza night, adding a wood fired flavor is delicious. We find that the best pizzas we have made really came down to have the right tools to make pizza on a grill easy, finding the perfect dough, which is one that is light and fluffy but still gets crispy, and cooking it at the right temperature of 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
This tutorial is about the technique of grilling pizza, rather than focusing on a specific recipe for the best pizza. While we do have a simple recipe at the bottom, you can use this technique to make your favorite combinations of pizza on your Big Green Egg.
You May Like: How To Clean Stainless Steel Grill Grates
Eating Healthy Should Still Be Delicious
When grilling pizza, you want to use the same tools youd use to make a good pizza in your oven: a pizza stone , and a pizza peel. A stone works fantastic on the grill and really gives the crust a uniform crispness, says chef Mario Scordato, who teaches grilling classes at recreational cooking school The Chopping Block in Chicago. Use a pizza peel to get the pizza on and off the stone.
Are Pizza Stones Worth It
Even if it cant quite replicate an authentic pizza oven, it is definitely stepping up your game, and its the number one pizza accessory! So in conclusion, yes, a pizza steel is definitely worth it! A ceramic pizza stone is a good option for beginners because they are a lot cheaper than pizza steels.
Recommended Reading: How To Grill Skinless Salmon On A Gas Grill
Ingredients For Grilled Pizza
- Pizza Dough I highly suggest making your own using my Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe. You can use any pizza dough though, even store bought!
- Olive Oil Well brush the dough with oil before tossing it on the grill. A spray olive oil would work really well for this also.
- Pizza Sauce I have a recipe for Homemade Pizza Sauce too, or use your favorite brand.
- Cheese Shredded mozzarella cheese works perfectly for these pizzas, or use an Italian blend or your favorite pizza cheese.
- Toppings Use whatever pizza toppings you like! I used thinly sliced zucchini, sauteed mushrooms, and fresh basil leaves.
Making Easy Grilled Pizza
So, when my cousin told me that she didnt flip her grilled pizza, my ears perked up. Bryan, who loves to grill was happy to experiment and so a new pizza night tradition began.
My cousin forms her pizzas on parchment paper and uses that to transfer her uncooked pizza to the grill. She slips the paper out after a few minutes. This works, but weve found we like the ease and convenience of pizza screens.
I use pizza screens when I bake pizza in the oven, so Im thrilled that I can use the same screens on the grill.
Heres how to take your pizza pie outside.
You May Like: Grilltastic Steam Grill Cleaner
Dear Grilled Pizza I Love You
Im so happy to be sharing with you my Grilled Pizza recipe today.
Gordon and I have been grilling pizza for several years and lemme tell you, this stuff is addicting! Once you get the hang of grilling the pizza crust, the sky is the limit! Pizza in the oven is great in the winter but grilled pizza is where its at in the summer! Trust me when I say it will work. Trust the process and you too will be eating right alongside us. Yum yum!
This is more of a how to grill pizza tutorial than a recipe and any and all toppings are optional! Lots of ideas below. Lets get grilling!
Bring Your Dough To Room Temperature
Cold pizza dough is tight and tough to work with. Let your dough come to room temperature for two to three hours before youre ready to make pizza, recommends Kolman, and it will be much easier to roll out. You can get premade pizza dough from grocery stores, and many pizzerias will also sell dough if you ask.
RELATED: How to Shape Pizza Dough
You May Like: What Temperature Do You Grill Shrimp
Prep And Grill The Dough
Stretch out your pizza dough into the shape and size you want and either place or slide onto the grill, being sure to avoid known hot spots. If you want to maintain more of an exact shape, consider rolling your dough out on a pizza peel with cornmeal to prevent sticking and then sliding it off carefully onto your hot grill.
Cover and cook your crusts until they are puffed, bubbly and have grill marks and a few charred spots, about 2 minutes. It should release from the grill easily for flipping.
How To Grill Pizza
If you’re craving brick-oven crispy pizza crust, you can get the same results right at home with grilled pizza.
From Meseidy Rivera of The Noshery
fresh mozzarella, sliced thin and patted dry
thinly sliced pepperoni or chorizo
minced fresh rosemary
shredded parmesan cheese
Today, Im going to show you how to grill pizza, taking you through the steps, so you can enjoy crispy charred pizza.
Read Also: How Long Will A Traeger Grill Last
Charcoal Vs Gas Grills
Ive made grilled pizzas on both charcoal and gas grills and the method remains the same. My only hesitation with charcoal is you cant control the temperature quite as easily as you can with a gas grill. Its not impossible and we have definitely have had success. Just be sure to watch your crust as is cooks. It may need a few more minutes to get that char OR it might be ready to flip after 60 seconds. Just be sure to watch it carefully as you go.
Can I Grill A Take
Yes, you can grill a take-and-bake pizza, opening lots of opportunity for very quick, keep-the-heat-outside pizza nights.
Remove the pizza from its packaging and transfer it to a greased pizza screen. Cook the pizza on a hot grill until the crust is crisp and the toppings are hot and the cheese is melted.
Read Also: How To Clean Weber Gas Grill Grates
Tips For Grilling Pizza
- Roll it out thin. For grilled pizza, the thinner the pizza dough the better. If the dough is too thick, it might burn on the grill before its completely cooked in the middle.
- Pay attention. It really takes 2 minutes or less per side to cook the dough, so dont walk away from the grill while youre cooking.
- Be sure to preheat. Let the grill come all the way up to temperature before cooking the dough. Putting the dough on a cold grill will cause it to stick to the grates.
- Make the dough ahead. I suggest making your pizza dough ahead of time, the day before, so that you arent waiting for it to be ready.
- Go easy on the toppings. Were making a thin pizza, so dont overwhelm the crust with too much sauce or toppings. A thin layer of sauce and a handful of toppings is perfect.
Successful Grilled Pizza Belongs To The Organized
I actually used to be very intimidated by grilling pizza. I had a couple of bad experiences but then I got my method straight. Its not hard, but you do need to be organized.
When you grill pizza, you need to have everything ready to go all the toppings, the sauce, the cheese. This is because the key to pizza on the grill is to top the pizza after youve put it on the grill. It also helps if you cook the dough for a minute or two, flip it, and then top it.
Recommended Reading: Weber Genesis Ii Cleaning
How To Grill Pizza:
The secret to cooking pizza on a grill is 2-Zone Grilling. By creating 2 zones of heat on your grill , you can first grill the pizza with direct, high heat, then finishing it off with steady indirect heat. The resulting grilled pizza is perfect every time ooey-melty cheese, smoky flavor, & a crisp, golden brown crust thats not burnt on the bottom.
If youve never tried 2-zone grilling before, dont panic. Its the simplest thing! Im sharing all of the details below, & you can also check out this post,which will walk you through zone grilling step by step!
- Par-grilling pizza dough with direct heat.
- Golden brown par-grilled pizza dough with perfect grill marks!
- Pizza assembly: Adding toppings to the grilled side of the crust.
- Grilling pizza with direct heat to cook the second side of the crust before finishing with indirect heat.
How to cook pizza on the grill:
Other Helpful Tips & Tricks for Homemade Pizza on the Grill: