Corn Or Flour Tortillas
I’ve had fish tacos with all manner of tortillas, even cauliflower! This is to say, your choice of tortilla is your own. Personally, I prefer the flavor of corn tortillas the best, especially if you take the time to lightly char them in a dry skillet or over the flames of a gas stove.
Want to make your own tortillas? Try these recipes:
Is Tilapia A Good Fish To Eat
Fish is one of the healthiest sources of protein, and tilapia is no exception. Tilapia is packed with vitamins and minerals like choline, niacin, vitamin B12, vitamin D, selenium, and phosphorus. It is also a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are healthy fats that your body needs to function.
Side Dishes To Serve With Tacos
- 1 1/2 pounds cod fillets
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt, 2% or whole work best
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Several dashes of hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced thin
- Crumbled queso fresco
Also Check: Grilled Wings On Gas Grill
Sides To Serve With Grilled Fish Tacos
These grilled fish tacos are a fantastic healthy dinner idea that works for weeknights, or for parties and entertaining! In the recipe below, we have a note about serving size. This recipe is for 1 pound of fish: which makes about 8 tacos. But when were hungry, Alex and I can polish off that whole recipe if we dont have time to make side dishes to go with it.
If youre feeding 4 very hungry eaters, increase the fish and seasonings to 1 ½ pounds of fish. Or, simply make some side dishes to serve alongside. Here are some easy side dishes to go with tacos:
- Refried beans: Some brands taste great out of the can, or even with a little cumin and salt. Or make Homemade Refried Beans.
- Salad: This Mexican Salad is the perfect fit for tacos.
- Chips & Salsa or Bean Dip: Becausewhy not? Try this Salsa Fresca, Bean Dip, or Refried Bean Dip.
Looking for more tacos? See all our Taco Recipes.
Side Dish & Serving Ideas
While everyone has their go-to toppings, finding a side dish that complements the zesty and salty flavors of these Baja-style tacos can be a bit trickier. We want sweet and heat in equal measure, without detracting from the fish. Our recommendations for best fish taco sides include:
- Corn Chips & Salsa: A homemade salsa is straightforward. Blend roasted tomatoes, onions, and peppers with a dash of water until smooth.
- Tex-Mex Quinoa Salad: Made with black beans, bell peppers, red onion, and corn for a classic Tex-Mex flavor. Topped with lime juice dressing and cotija cheese.
- Mexican Corn Pudding: Also known as tomalito, the sweetness of this side balances out white fishs salt. Simply toast corn kernels with cheese, green chilies, eggs, and milk.
Don’t Miss: How Do You Cook Grilled Cheese
Why You’ll Love Grilled Fish In Tacos
We love to cook fish on the grill because it’s one of the healthiest foods you can make, and it tastes great. We make these on repeat during barbecue season but they’re easy to make on a grill any time of year.
Grilling fish is notoriously tricky so we recommend using a thick piece of fish like halibut or cod. Thin filets won’t hold up on the grill. Or if you have a grilling basket, that’s a great option too!
Rubios Coastal Grill Turning 40 With 99
When Rubios Coastal Grill, home of The Original Fish Taco, turns 40 on Wednesday, January 25, locations across California, Arizona and Nevada will celebrate the companys Baja roots. The community is invited to enjoy throwback pricing, the launch of a new, remixed Fish Taco,80s-inspired prizes and music.
Ralph Rubio tasted his first fish taco as a college student during spring break in San Felipe. He brought the recipe home, opening the first Rubios in Mission Bay in 1983. Tacos were $.99 back then, and will be again on January 25. Proceeds will benefit WILDCOAST, working to conserve some of the worlds most significant coastal and marine ecosystems in the U.S. and Mexico.
On January 25, Rubios Rewards members can participate in a contest, both in-store and online, to win 80s-inspired gear and free Rubios. Fifty winners will receive limited-edition Rubios bomber jackets, and other prizes. Rewards members earn entries for every visit the week of January 23.
Rubios has become the #1 fish taco brand, credited with starting the fish taco phenomenon in the U.S. In celebration of the 40th anniversary, Rubios is remixing The Original Fish Taco to offer a new version of the original favorite. The Baja Grilled Fish Taco launches on January 4, featuring grilled mahi mahi and a special Baja sauce.
Don’t Miss: How To Protect Deck From Grill
Grilled Fish Taco Recipe
Cooking dinner for your friends or family should be easy. If youre looking for the ultimate way to help you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a backyard BBQ hero, join my members-only group The Grill Squad for full access to all my meat, rubs, sauces, and meat buying masterclasses, podcasts, and so much more.
Grilled Shrimp Taco Bowl
Dont get me wrong, I love a good taco. But taco bowls are so filling and delicious, how can you resist?
This recipe features perfectly cooked shrimp, rice, veggies, and a grilled tortilla, too! Can you ask for anything more in a filling meal?
Start by tossing the shrimp in spices while you prepare the other ingredients.
Chop your veggies, cook the rice, and prepare the spicy cilantro dressing.
Read Also: How To Tell Which Weber Grill I Have
Ingredients Needed For Grilled Fish Tacos
Heres a basic list of the ingredients youll need in order to make these simple fish tacos on the grill. As always, you can find the full printable recipe located in the recipe card below.
- White Fish Fillets cod, tilapia, flounder, sole, halibut, snapper, catfish, haddock, or grouper
- Tomatoes or pico de gallo
- Corn Tortillas grill them for the best flavor!
How To Grill Fish For Tacos
How to grill fish for tacos? After seasoning, throw it right onto those hot grates. Here are a few tips to know about grilling fish:
- The temperature for grilled fish? Medium high heat, or 375 to 450 degrees.
- How long to cook grilled fish for tacos? Cook it 3 to 4 minutes skin side down, then 3 to 4 minutes skin side up! The fish is done when it starts to flake when pulled with a fork. Or, pull it when it reads 130 degrees Fahrenheit with an internal thermometer .
- How to keep fish from sticking on the grill? Heres the secret: dont turn it too soon! Wait until the fish is cooked enough that it releases from the grates, then flip it.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Raw Shrimp On The Grill
More Tempting Taco Recipes To Try
Craving more of those delicious tacos? Ive got you covered with these amazing recipes
Escape into paradise with these tender grilled fish tacos. The tangy white sauce has just a touch of heat for the perfect balance of bright and bold to compliment the flaky fish with cool, crisp cabbage on top.
Basically, get these in your mouth stat!
Make sure you dont miss a thing! Follow I Wash You Dry here:
Best Sauce For Fish Tacos
Fish tacos are definitely one of my favorites, packed with many fresh and tasty ingredients. However, if you are eating them with the same old toppings, you can sometimes get bored with them. So in the following article, Im sharing 8 sauces you can put on your fish tacos. So, what is the best sauce for fish tacos?
To significantly improve the taste of your fish tacos, you can use cilantro lime sauce, avocado crema, mango salsa, chipotle mayo, tomatillo salsa, pico de gallo, spicy mayo, or an exotic coconut-curry sauce.
I hope youll enjoy these eight recipes for sauces to put on your fish tacos. Some are traditional Mexican sauces, while others are a little more creative. So go ahead and give them a try!
Also Check: Does Home Depot Put Grills On Sale
More Recipe Tips For Best Tacos
- Adjust the fish amount: I specify 3lb fish for this recipe as different family members add different amounts to their tacos, so its always good to have leftovers! However, feel free to reduce it to 2lb if preferred.
- Dont overcook the fish: As soon as its white on the bottom, flip it over and cook for a few more minutes. It will finish cooking off the heat with the residual heat thats leftover. If youre using a grill pan indoors, then cover the fish with a lid after flipping it to help it cook through .
- Warm the tortillas: Make sure to warm the tortillas ready for the grilled fish tacos. This not only tastes better, but it helps to make them more pliable, so they dont crack/break while eating.
- Use corn tortillas: Yes, you can use flour tortillas if thats all you have, but I find this grilled fish taco recipe 1000% better with authentic corn tortillas and the extra flavor they add.
Best Grilled Shrimp Recipes
These easy grilled shrimp recipes are everything you want!
Whether youre wanting a refreshing salad or some comfort food, I have you covered.
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
There are so many ways you can prep and use grilled shrimp.
Grilling shrimp is a great way to achieve great flavor, lower calories, and easy cleanup.
Who doesnt love a simple meal with minimal effort?
Grab your shrimp, and lets get grilling! Its time to dig into 23 of my favorite grilled shrimp recipes.
Lets start off simple with one of my favorite ways to prepare grilled shrimp.
Im talking about a savory marinade and the quickest cook time around!
Start by preparing the marinade with lime, garlic, honey and a few other ingredients.
Once its ready, add the shrimp and let them marinate for at least 15 minutes.
After marinating, grill them for about 5 minutes, flipping them halfway through.
Youll have a perfect grilled char and delicious flavor!
Read Also: What Is The Best Rated Grill
Easy Grilled Fish Tacos Recipe
Lets enjoy the nice weather making this quick and easy grilled fish tacos today!!
These grilled fish tacos are healthier because the fish is not fried. The codfish is marinade in citrus mixture and the tacos are topped with diced avocado and a quick and easy cabbage slaw. You also can top your tacos with sour cream, hot sauce, and mango salsa. I am sure it will be a delicious and light meal for your patio summer party. Serve it up with this Chopped Red Cabbage Kale Salad!
Best Fish For Grilled Fish Tacos
In all honestly, the best fish for grilled fish tacos is whatever you like best!
This recipe calls for mahi mahi, but any firm white fish will work well. If you have a favorite fish, go with that! All youll need to do is adjust the cooking times as needed for the thickness of your fish. .
I used mahi mahi since its our familys favorite, but you can also use cod, halibut, tilapia, turbot, or even salmon if you want to mix things up from the classic.
Don’t Miss: Where Are Z Grills Made
Grilled Shrimp With Chimichurri Sauce
Gorgeous grilled shrimp is so easy to make for your family. Add a beautiful chimichurri for one delicious dinner!
Theres not much to say about how to make these shrimp. Let them marinate, skewer them, and grill them for a few minutes on each side.
The beautiful, fresh chimichurri is just to die for.
Combine chopped parsley, cilantro, oregano, garlic, and shallots.
Combine it into one bright green, delicious sauce and serve with shrimp.
If youre looking for an easy Asian shrimp dinner, look no further!
This tasty teriyaki dinner is sure to light your fire, straight off the grill.
Start out with a homemade teriyaki sauce made with a few pantry staples.
Glaze this sauce on the shrimp as they grill for a sweet and savory sticky glaze.
These easy skewers are great on their own as an appetizer. Or, serve them with rice, noodles, or on an Asian salad.
Storage And Reheating Instructions:
Fish tacos are best eaten fresh. If you have leftover fish and fillings, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat fish in a skillet over medium heat until warmed through.
If you like this recipe you may be interested in these other taco recipes:
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and weve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on , , or our , or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Grilled Fish Tacos
This Baja Fish Taco Recipe is super easy to make, healthy, and full of flavor. Your family will love this Mexican favorite!
- 1poundwhite fishmahi mahi, flounder, tilapia, grouper, etc
- ¼cupextra virgin olive oil
- 2tablespoonslime juice
- 1tablespoonfreshly chopped cilantro
- 2tablespoonsred wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1/4cupfreshly chopped cilantro
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
Read Also: How To Grill Pork Tenderloin
Tips For Keeping Fish From Sticking On The Grill
Honestly, the trickiest part of making grilled fish tacos is keeping the fish from sticking on the grill! Lucky for you, Ive compiled a few key tips for helping you flip those fillets with ease.
- Clean your grates thoroughly. Any debris on the grill grates can cause a sticky point while grilling your fish, plus the added char flavor from old stuck-on food is never delicious.
- Oil your grates. Once the grates are clean, I like to lightly wipe them with a paper towel saturated with high-heat cooking oil, like avocado oil.
- Preheat your grates thoroughly before grilling your fish. If your grates are still cold, your fish will certainly form quite an attachment and be near impossible to flip.
- Dont flip your fish before its ready. Once the first side of your fish is ready to flip, it will actually self-release from the grates. Try to flip too soon, and youll have sticky fish.
How To Warm Corn Tortillas
Warming up tortillas is a key step in the taco building process. The heat turns them soft and flexible and makes a big difference in how they taste and hold ingredients. Here are a few ways you can do it:
Also Check: Can All Gas Grills Be Converted To Natural Gas
Easy Grilled Fish Tacos
Quick and easy grilled fish tacos packed full of flavor and ready in just 20 minutes. Beautiful and fresh grilled fish filling in a tortilla, topped with zesty red cabbage, guacamole and a creamy white sauce.
Fish is a vastly underrated meat taco filling. Theyre fresh and packed full of flavor. Not only that, but its a meat that accommodates a lot of toppings and added flavors.
This recipe is no different. Weve got cabbage pico de gallo, guacamole, and low-fat yogurt. And to top it all off, they can be thrown together in just about under half an hour.
Ive seen some recipes that call for breaded fish, but were going to go straight for pure, grilled white fish. Its healthier, and allows us to add some better levels of nuanced flavor to the mix.
White fish fillets work great because they tend to have a mild flavor and can hold together well when on the grill. Theyre also fairly cheap, and easy to find at a lot of supermarkets or stores.
Fish like cod, halibut, smoked catfish or snapper tend to work great.
Try not to get anything thats too thick as itll take longer to grill. Itll also help the recipes marinade work its way through the meat.
A quick tip for the fish: White fish cooks quickly on the grill, so keep a close eye on it. If you cook it too long itll go rubbery and taste it too. When it starts to develop a flaky texture then youll be good to go.
Whichever you go for, just be sure to shred it as finely as possibly.
Tips For The Best Fish Tacos:
- Dont marinade longer than 30 minutes or the acidity of the marinade can break down the fish and make it mushy.
- Preheat oven, grill or skillet. Dont start out with a cool temp.
- Careful not to over-cook the fish so the texture will be tender and flaky.
- When possible use wild caught fish if you have access to it.
- If you want more fish per taco throw an extra fillet in the marinade, or recipe doubles well too.
Don’t Miss: Liquid Propane Vs Natural Gas Grill