Where To Buy Traeger Grills

Silverton 620 Vs Ironwood 650

How To Buy The Right Chicken For BBQ | Traeger Grills

Again, for my money, I would buy the Silverton instead of the Ironwood.

Silverton 620
$699 $1,199

The biggest advantages the Ironwood brings to the table is that it has the Super Smoke mode. Other nice upgrades on the 650 include double wall insulation and a sensor that lets you know if the hopper is getting low on pellets. While those are nice advantages I dont think that they are enough to warrant a $500 premium over the Silverton.

I pulled the customer reviews for the Silverton from Costcos website and plotted them against reviews for the Ironwood 650 on the Ace Hardwares and Home Depots websites. Here is what the comparison looks like :

  • The Ironwood 650 has 75% 5 star and 8% 4 Star reviews for an overall satisfaction rating of 83%.
  • The Silverton 620 has 71% 5 star and 12% 4 Star reviews for an overall satisfaction rating of 83%

In terms of customer satisfaction the grills are equivalent which is important considering the significantly lower price tag on the Silverton.

Who Makes The Best Pellet Grill

Top Rated Pellet Grills & Smokers Traeger Ironwood Wi-Fi Pellet Grill. Traeger Pro 780 Wi-Fi Pellet Grill with WiFIRE. Coyote 36-Inch Pellet Grill. Cookshack Fast Eddys BBQ Pellet Smoker. Traeger Timberline 1300 Wi-Fi Wood Pellet Grill. Weber SmokeFire EX6 Gen 2 Wi-Fi Enabled Pellet Grill. Traeger Pro Series 34 Pellet Grill.

Best Traeger Grill At/under $1000

If your budget is really tight go with the Traeger Pro 575, but if you can get closer to $1000 go with the Traeger Pro 780 and dont look back.

Traeger Ironwood 885

While the Traeger Timberline is very cool , were not completely sure that the extra features are worth it compared to the Ironwood Series.

Personally we believe the Ironwood Series is the sweet spot of Traegerhood.

In the case of the Ironwood, we DO believe the value for the money is there with the extra features youll enjoy with the Ironwood over the pro line: for a bit more money youre getting a lot, including double side-walled insulation, a free side-shelf, an adjustable lower grill grate, a slightly larger hopper, Traegers Downdraft Exhaust System, and the Tru Convection option as I noted earlier, actual Traeger Ironwood users in online forums say time and again they are happy with their purchase decision.

The Ironwood 650 is a wonderful Traeger Grill and the Traeger Ironwood 885 is our Best Traeger Grill Overall Winner.

Read Also: Traeger Steaks

Silverton 620 Vs Pro Series 575

For my money I would buy the Silverton 620 over the Pro 575 in a heartbeat.

Silverton 620
$699 $799

The 575 has a 15% larger primary grate than the 620 but the 620 closes the gap with a larger secondary grate. The Silverton has a full sized pellet hopper, comes with a grill cover and is equipped with a front mounted work table. Buying a table and cover for the Pro 575 will cost you an extra $120.

The Silverton should, in theory, also be a better cooker than the Pro 575 based on the outlet vent configuration. The top mounted outlet vent on the Pro 575 lets the smoke go Up and Out while the rear mounted vents on the Silverton make the smoke go Down and Around. The Down and Around approach provides better smoke contact with the meat while speeding up the cooking process through enhanced convection heating.

I pulled the customer reviews for the Silverton from Costcos website and plotted them against reviews for the Pro 575 on Home Depots website. Here is what the comparison looks like :

  • The Pro 575 has 77% 5 star and 9% 4 Star reviews for an overall satisfaction rating of 86%.
  • The Silverton 620 has 71% 5 star and 12% 4 Star reviews for an overall satisfaction rating of 83%

The biggest factor in the 1 star reviews for both models were grills that were either damaged in shipment or that arrived with non-functional control panels. A secondary complaint on both grills was the difficulty of connecting the WiFire app.

Best Traeger Grill Combo Buy For Under $1500

Buy any Traeger Grill for $399 or more and get a FREE 20 ...

But wait, theres more. If you find yourself traveling a lot and wishing you had a Traeger Grill with you, you may want to consider going with the COMBO of the Traeger Pro 780 and the Traeger Tailgeter 20. You should be able to get both for under $1500 . You would only do this if you cook often away from the house and in this case youll be sacrificing some technology in favor of portability but its a great way to stretch your dollar farther.

Recommended Reading: Cleaning Rust Off Grill

How Much Food Do You Need To Cook

An important consideration when buying a Traeger is the amount of meat you need to cook at one time. Do you want to cook for large crowds once or twice a year? Or are you happy just grilling for your average-sized family? These are questions you need to ask yourself when deciding between Traeger models. Below is a table that compares the cooking capacity of each Traeger model.

Traeger Grills Bronson 20 Wood Pellet Grill

Why youll love it:

Consider this sort of the final evolution of the Junior Elite: a little more expensive, but a little more effective. I feel that price increase is justified for two reasons: A higher hopper capacity, and its ultra stable legs.

The 25% higher hopper capacity is worth the price increase alone I think. Thats 25% more cooking time on a single refill, giving you more leeway to have fun and mingle while the grill runs as a background distraction.

The more stable legs make it less portable than the Tailgater or even Junior Elite but also makes it better suited for chaotic environments and helps ensure more even cooking.

Other than these two features, its the same as the last two: 300 square inches of grilling space, digital temperature control, porcelain grates, the whole nine yards. This isnt a bad thing, as those are all great features to have and Id be quite disappointed if anything was dropped from the cheaper models in the process of making this one.

The upgrades, with that in mind, more than make this worth the cost increase, particularly when you factor in that its HOA approved to not set your deck on fire when you use it, so you can grill on your patio or back porch without having to worry.

  • Stable legs because of sawhorse design.

What we didnt like

  • A little expensive.

Read Also: How To Clean Char Broil Grill Grates

How Big Is Your Yard

Another important consideration is the amount of space you have in your backyard/patio area. All three Traeger models Pro Series, Ironwood and Timberline all have a smaller version to suit every outdoor space.

If you have a tiny yard, or like cooking on-the-go, Traeger has the Tailgater grill thats perfect for small decks, courtyards or tailgates. If you want to go even smaller than a Tailgater, theres also a range of portable Traeger grills.

If you need a smaller grill, then consider one of these Traeger models:

  • Pro Series 22
  • Ranger

Winner: Traeger Tailgator 20

Why buy a Traeger Ironwood 885?

Unless space is severely limited and/or you just must have a tabletop unit, if you want a true Traeger Grill experience in a portable model, do yourself a favor and choose the Traeger Tailgater 20 Grill. Theres nothing wrong with the Traeger Scout and Ranger models, but they dont compare to the experience of the Traeger Tailgater 20.

Why is the Traeger Tailgater 20 the best Traeger Portable Grill?

From game days to getaways, bring wood-fired flavor everywhere with the new Tailgater 20. Featuring a compact, portable design, its prime for balconies, tailgating or anywhere else you want to take 6-in-1 versatility and superior taste. And now it comes armed with Traegers Digital Arc controller for more precise, consistent temperatures and a Keep Warm Mode that keeps food fresh until chow time.

That means that with the Traeger Tailgater 20 you can enjoy all the benefits of that true wood-pellet grilling experience AND take it with you! With foldable legs and a total weight around 60 lbs, the Traeger Tailgator 20 is easy to transport. But dont let its light weight fool you, this is a real Traeger grill that uses a hopper for wood pellets and the hopper is big enough to hold 8 lbs of wood pellets so you can still cook for 5-6 hours without refilling.

Traeger Tailgator 20 Features

Other features of the Traeger Tailgater 20 include:

Traeger Tailgater 20 Grilling Capacity

Heres what you can fit on a Traeger Tailgator 20

Traeger Tailgator 20 Video Review

Recommended Reading: Pork Chops On Grill Temp

Grilling Smoking And Baking

There is more to the Traeger than grilling and also smoking. Grilling and cooking meats and veggies are simply the start, for you can likewise prepare tasty treats, side dishes, and also drinks. Where To Buy A Traeger Grill

You have this option with the Traeger grilling system.

With the Traeger, you can prepare things like fruit pies efficiently, something you wouldnt be able to finish with a lp grill.

Other Brands To Consider

Thanks to the popularity of Traeger wood-fired pellet grills, there are now many more brands to choose from. While Traeger is still the most popular, these brands are definitely hot on their tails.

Ive tried to provide a general overview of how each brand compares with Traeger, but because each brand produces many different grills if you need specifics I would suggest comparing individual specs from the manufacturers and then looking at a few different reviews.

You May Like: Gas Grill Natural Gas Conversion

Why Buy A Traeger

If youre reading this article, I probably dont need to sell you on why the Traeger Brand is the best choice when it comes to a wood-fired pellet grill. After all Traeger was the original pellet grill and their history dates back to 1986.

As you probably know by now Traeger makes it easy to grill however you like best no matter which grill you go with, Traegers 6-in-1 ability means you can grill, smoke, bake, roast, braise and BBQ your way to pure, hardwood flavor. A fast learning curve, simple to use grilling technology, the ability to get consistent temperature control, AND great value for the money has made the Traeger Grill brand one of the most popular in the US today.

BTW If you want to know more about Traegers history and why Traegers are so popular be sure to read this article: What is a Traeger Grill and Why are Traeger Grills so popular. For now though, lets get to finding the best Traeger Grill for you.

Where Are Traeger Grills Made

Buy Traeger Pro 780 Pellet Grill Black

According to Traeger, all residential grills have been manufactured in China since 2008.

Their larger commercial grills are still manufactured in the United States.

Some people have complained about Traeger moving to manufacture their grills in China but the simple fact is the vast majority of consumer grills are manufactured there.

If buying American made is important to you, then you might want to consider a Yoder pellet grill, although youll end up paying at least double the price.

Don’t Miss: Weber Genesis Grates Rusting

There Was An Error Submitting Your Request Please Try Again Later

Welcome to our website! As we have the ability to list over one million items on our website , it is not feasible for a company our size to record and playback the descriptions on every item on our website.However, if you have a disability we are here to help you. Please call our disability services phone line at 712-213-2242 during regular business hours and one of our kind and friendly personal shoppers will help you navigate through our website, help conduct advanced searches, help you choose the item you are looking for with the specifications you are seeking, read you the specifications of any item and consult with you about the products themselves. There is no charge for the help of this personal shopper for anyone with a disability. Finally, your personal shopper will explain our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service, and help you place an order if you so desire.

Comparison To Other Brands Of Pellet Grills

You could spend weeks comparing Traegers to other brands and still come away pretty confused. The bottom line is that if you want a pellet grill with fancy apps and great searing abilities then the Silverton is the best buy in the Traeger product line.

If you dont really need precision temperature control or want to control your grill via your phone then you could save a couple of hundred bucks by looking at one of these Traeger grill alternatives.

I have a Z Grill and really enjoy using it. The folks that make Z Grills appear to be the same factory that used to make Traegers. As a result a Z Grill looks and functions a whole lot like the older style Traegers that had the manual dial in temperature controls.

Pit Boss also makes nice pellet grills. The grills do not have all of the high tech features found on Traegers but they get the job done. If you would rather spend your money on steaks than on apps then a Pit Boss might be right for you. See Traeger vs Pit Boss for more details.

There was a lot of excitement in 2020 when Weber started making their first pellet grill, the Smokefire. The Smokefire was designed to go head to head with the Traeger Ironside grills but it ran into some problems. Check out Weber Smokefire vs Traeger: The Reviews Are Shockingly Bad! for more details. The bottom line is I would buy the Silverton instead of the Smokefire.

Also Check: How To Grill Cod On Gas Grill

Tailgater Portable Pellet Grill

The Tailgater is Traegers attempt to offer the convenience and flavor of cooking with pellets, in a portable format.

With 300 square inches of cooking space, the Tailgater should still be able to handle 3 racks of ribs or up to 2 whole chickens.

The grill weighs 62 lbs and measure 36 x 37 x 18 inches. The pellet hopper can hold 8 lbs which should allow 4-6 hours of cooking without refilling.

The EZ-Fold legs are handy feature which allows you to wheel the grill onto the bed or your truck.

What you gain in portability you give up in features. The Tailgater doesnt include WiFi or any of the other improvements in the Pro, Ironwood or Timberline grills.

Having said that, this grill still performs well and can handle anywhere from 180 450 °F.The digital elite controller keeps temperatures fairly stable within 20 degrees of your set temperature.

Traeger Tailgater Specifications:

Weight 62 Lbs

While theres something nice about grilling with charcoal when you are camping, you cant beat the versatility of pellet grill. Being able to bake, grill and smoke are super convenient when you can only take one grill with you.

How To Grill With Pellets

Traeger Pellet Grill Review, should you buy one?

Now that you have some Traeger pellets and know what flavors are available, its time to start grilling! Here are some hints for using Traeger pellets in your grill:

The best method to grill with Traeger pellets is to use a smoker case. This will allow you to smoke your food at a low temperature and give it that delicious smoked flavor.

If you dont have any smoker boxes, also you can grill your food directly over the pellets. Just make sure that the grill is hot enough so that the pellets will start smoking. Once the grill is hot, place your food on the grill and shut off the lid. Grill for 3-4 minutes per side or continuously cook to your wish.

If you want to get that extra smokey flavor, try using the reverse sear method. This involves cooking your food at a low temperature for a more extended time, then searing it over high heat to get a crispy outer crust.

Also Check: Remove Grease Stain From Concrete

New Features On The 2020 Silverton 620

The biggest update to the Silverton is that it is now has the same WiFire controller and D2 Direct Drive system as the premium Ironwood and Timberline models.

The WiFire controller allows for tighter temperature control as well as letting you run the grill entirely from an app on your smart device. The D2 Direct Drive system is a more powerful, and smarter motor/auger combination.

One of the big things to note is that the initial setup of the WiFire system is buggy. The guys over at Reddit have a pretty good description of how to do the initial firmware update needed to get this grill going.

Pro Tip: The WiFire app will not connect to your 5 GHz WiFi signal. You need to split the signal on your router to make a 2.4 GHz channel available. Your 5 GHz channel is great for fast data transfer but has limited range. The 2.4 GHz channel uses longer waves that are able to penetrate walls and reach your grill.

You Should Purchase A Traeger Grill Based Upon What You Will Prepare

I believe this is a really critical consideration, since it heavily affects what features and dimension you will need.

To fit the bigger cuts of meat at a block event or cookout, go for a larger cook with more internal space, such as a large barbecue with a larger firebox. Where To Buy A Traeger Grill

It is a lot more likely a little grill is for you if you wish to cook some hen, burgers, and also sausages periodically.

Also Check: Did Mcdonald’s Discontinue Snack Wraps 2020

Popular Articles

More Recipes Like This