Grilled Bone In Pork Chops With Marinade
Published: · Modified: Jul 11, 2022 by Kaylie This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Kick off the summer grilling season with these perfectly marinated bone-in pork chops. Theyre infused with bright and zesty flavors like lemon, parsley and Italian seasoning, plus a touch of brown sugar for sweetness. This marinade works great for a quick 1 to 2 hour dip, or leave it overnight for maximum flavor. The pork chops cook beautifully on the grill in under 15 minutes.
My family loves dining outdoors during the warmer months and grilling is is a must. We grill almost everything from whole fish, chicken thighs, steaks, hamburgers and so much more.
I love how simple this homemade marinade recipe is, and it delivers BIG flavor! You wont have to shop around for hard to find ingredients, this marinade is made with pantry staples and will be your go-to recipe all summer long. I like using bone-in pork as it tends to have a bit more fat and connective tissue for more flavor, and the bone helps keep the pork moist when grilling.
Serve it with this easy rice cooker turmeric rice for a quick weeknight meal, or for your next weekend barbecue!
How Long To Grill Pork Chops On A Gas Grill
On the grill, pork chops cook in a short amount of time. The grilling time for pork chops will vary depending on the thickness of the slice. Please ensure your griddle slats are warm, whether youre cooking with gasoline or coal.
Cook the pork chops for 5-6 minutes on a gas grill with the lid closed. Cook for another 5-6 minutes on the other side, flipping, closing the cover , and heating to a core warmth of 145-degree Fahrenheit.
- When its Done:145°F for medium
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Glaze or marinade
- Cook time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 4
If youve ever wondered how to season, prep, brine and grill a perfectly tender pork chop, youve come to the right place. Master these seven simple steps and youll be able to fire up the best chops on the block, with Kingsford® Charcoal.
How To Cook The Perfect Pork Chop On The Grill
Pork chops are perfect to cook on either a gas or charcoal grill. This method will take 2 1/2 hours from start to finish. The brining will take about two hours and cooking time takes about 30 minutes.
What you will need:
*Rib chops are a great option since they are the pork equivalent of a beef rib steak. The combination of meat and fat on a good section of bone make this the best pork chop. However, any pork chop will work perfectly for this method.
Trim the pork chops of any large pieces of fat to reduce flare-ups while grilling. Do not remove all the fat, just the large sections.
Make sure to fully read the directions before starting. While the pork chops are brining, make the spice rub and glaze so they are ready when needed.
You May Like: Does Cvs Sell Charcoal For Grill
How To Flavor Grilled Pork Chops For Grilling
There are two main ways that you can flavor pork chops for grilling > marinades or dry rubs.
: a marinade is like a flavor bath for your pork. It infuses the meat with delicious flavors and leaves your pork extra juicy. In this recipe, were using our go-to pork chop marinade .
Dry Rubs: dry rubs are a great way to add amazing texture to the outside along with intense flavor. If youd rather use a dry rub for this recipe, we recommend our Pork Rub. Its sweet, savory, and a little smokey.
Using A Dry Brine For Juicy Grilled Pork Chops:
Because pork chops are fairly lean, brining is helpful for tenderizing and evenly seasoning the meat. To make things easy, I use a dry brine rather than a liquid brine .
My dry brine is simply salt and pepper, rubbed evenly into both sides of the pork chops! Once seasoned, the pork chops go into the refrigerator, uncovered, for 2 to 24 hours. This is where the brining magic happens.
The salt draws out the meat juices through osmosis, of which then dissolves the salt, basically turning into a natural brine even though there isnt any liquid added. This brine is reabsorbed into the meat, breaking down tough muscle proteins to help achieve pork chop perfection.
You May Like: How To Grill With Charcoal Briquettes
Cooks Tips And Recipe Variations:
- This recipe works well with bone-in or boneless pork chops. Just adjust the cooking time according to the size and thickness of your meat . Pork chops should be cooked to an internal temperature of 145 degrees F. A juicy pork chop with some pinkin the middlehas been given the official okay by the USDA.
- Adjust the seasonings to suit your taste. You can use a prepared all-purpose seasoning, barbecue seasoning, cumin, paprika, ground red pepper , any combination of your favorite herbs, or just keep it simple with salt and pepper.
- Health Benefits of Pork Chops: Grilling pork chops can be a healthy way to prepare this lean cut of meat. Pork chops have 24 grams of protein in a 3-ounce portion and offers a good source of zinc. A 6-ounce grilled pork chop seasoned with olive oil and all-purpose seasoning has about 250 calories, 13 grams of fat, zero carbohydrates, and 31 grams of protein. This is a Keto-friendly and low-carb option.
Recommended Reading: How To Use Akorn Grill
What Is The Best Cut Of Meat For Grilling Pork Chops
There are five different cuts of pork chops.
- Rib Chops: This is a tender cut from the rib section, mild tasting with some fat and with a bone running along one side. Other names are center-cut rib chops, rib pork chop, pork chop end cut.
- Loin Chop: Very lean, mild flavor with a t-bone in the middle. Each chop has two different types of meat which cook at different rates. For this reason, these pork chops are a bit difficult to cook. Other names are center-cut loin chops, pork loin end chop, top loin chop, porterhouse.
- Shoulder Chop: These are flavorful with a fair amount of fat, gristle and bone. They are best for braising. Other names are blade chops, blade steaks, blade-end pork loin chops, pork shoulder steaks, pork loin blade chops.
- Boneless Chop:These are very lean and boneless pork chops. This is a very popular cut. Due to the lack of fat and bone these chops are easy to overcook. Its best to marinate them or brine them. Its also wise to buy thick boneless chops as thinner ones are even easier to overcook and dry up. Other names are Americas cut, pork loin filets.
- Sirloin Chop: Lots of pork flavor, lots of bone and tough. These chops require long cooking times. Not a great pork chop for grilling.
Recommended Reading: How To Clean Grill Grease Off Concrete
How Long Does It Take Pork Chops To Cook At 350
They required about 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Bone-In pork chops require about 10% MORE cooking time, so make sure you factor that into your planning if you bought pork chops with bones. Thinner pork chops will take approximately 25-35 minutes, while VERY thin *under 1/4 inch* will be even less.
How Long To Grill Bone
Grill time for bone-in pork chops will vary depending on thickness, so its better to asses by temperature than time. When testing this recipe, I used thick cut pork chops that were about 1 1/2 inches thick, and it took about 15 minutes over the indirect heat for them to reach 120 degrees F, which I then finished with the sear over medium high heat, another 5 minutes total.
Also Check: What’s So Special About The Green Egg Grill
How To Grill Pork Chops Step By Step
Note: check out our grilled pork chops temperature guide below. Youll see that were recommending taking the meat off the grill 5ºF lower than your preferred doneness. As pork rests, it will continue to cook around 5ºF.
How To Grill Pork Chops
Learn how to grill pork chops without drying them out.
Juicy grilled pork chop with spices on a white plate
Fraya is a chef and a contributing writer at Food Network.
Grilling is an easy way to achieve super flavorful pork chops. Follow our tips and tricks, including answers to questions like: how do you grill pork chops without drying them out?
Read Also: How To Cook Pork Baby Back Ribs On The Grill
Faqs About Grilling Pork Chops
How long should you cook pork chops on the grill?
Cooking 1Â½-inch pork chops to a juicy medium-rare should take about 15-20 minutes on the grill however, for cooking pork chops of all sizes, whats most important is to measure the temperature using a meat thermometer to check their doneness.
Should you season pork chops before grilling?
Pork chops can be seasoned right before cooking, or you can use a dry brine to enhance the flavor. To dry brine the pork chops, salt them thoroughly, then place them on a wire rack and leave them in the fridge for 4-12 hours. When seasoning after dry brining, do not add more salt.
How do you keep pork from drying out on the grill?
So long as you do not overcook the pork chops, they will not dry out when grilling by following this recipe. At around the 15 minute mark, check your pork chops with a meat thermometer. If they are at the 145 mark for internal temperature, they are ready to take off the grill.
How long can I keep seasoned pork chops in the fridge?
Fresh, uncooked pork chops last in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. If you want to season them beforehand, I recommend seasoning them for 4-12 hours before cooking them, using only salt, and no more than that. This is called a dry brine. Add the remaining seasoning when ready to cook.
What To Serve With Grilled Pork Chops
- Grilled Green Beans.The flavor of green beans is fabulous on the grill and clean up is so easy.
- Garlic Bread. Grilled bread is so quick and the grill flavor is the best. Once you start grilling garlic bread, you will lov eit.
- Easy Parmesan Pasta. With only 4 ingredients, this pasta is quick and easy. This is a favorite with the kids in our house.
You can find more pork chop sides to serve. There are lots of great options to serve with grilled pork chops.
Also Check: What Type Of Grill Should I Get
Tips For Grilled Pork Chops
- Bring the pork chops to room temp: As with most meats, you want to bring pork chops to room temperature before grilling. Otherwise, the outside may char before the insides can evenly cook. About 30 minutes is needed to bring to room temperature. This is a perfect time to let the seasonings to soak into the meat.
- Pre-season: Generously coat both sides of pork with salt and black pepper, or other preferred seasonings. Ill recommend some of my favorites later in this post.
- Preheat the grill: Preheat the gas grill to medium-high. The grill should be hot before you add the pork chops to prevent sticking and create a nice sear.
- Dont overcook: As with all meats, cook just to the desired doneness.
- Let rest before serving: Let cooked meats sit at room temp 3 to 5 minutes to hold in more juices.
Best Grilled Pork Chop Marinade
The spices youâll need are:
To make the marinade, you mix the spices with some oil and apple cider vinegar until a paste forms. The vinegar tenderizes the meat and the wet rub helps prevent the chops from drying out on the grill. Itâs the perfect grilled pork chop marinade.
You May Like: What Is The Best Meat Thermometer For Grilling
What Kind Of Pork Chops Should I Buy For Grilling
Bone in pork chops are the best for grilling. You want to purchase a pork chop that is at least 1-inch thick to use on the grill. If you dont see any out for purchase, you should ask at the meat counter and they can cut them for you. Ask for a 1 1/2 to 2 inch bone-in center cut rib chop or loin chop. Either of these will be a great option for the grill.
And To Cook Boneless Pork Chops On A Grill
When it comes to grilling, there are a few things to keep in mind in order to ensure that your food is cooked properly. One of the most important factors is temperature.
Pork chops are a great option for grilling, but if theyre not cooked to the proper temperature, they can be dry and tough. However, there are a few things that can affect cooking time, such as the thickness of the chops and whether or not theyre bone-in or boneless.
When cooking boneless pork chops on a grill, its best to err on the side of caution and pull them off when they reach 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
They will continue to cook after being removed from the heat, so this will ensure that theyre juicy and delicious. With a little practice, youll be a grill master in no time!
You May Like: Which Weber Genesis Grill Do I Have
What Kind Of Pork Chops Are Best For Grilling
Personally, I prefer to grill thick, bone-in pork chops that have a lean area, with a good amount of fat all around to keep the grilled pork chop juicy. Just like rib pork chops.
I often grill boneless pork chops since they are my husbands favorite. When I do, I purchase thick pork chops and soak them in a quick marinade or I season them with a spice rub and let them sit in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours before cooking them.
Trick For Perfectly Cooked Pork Chops
- Pork is considered safe to eat at 145 degrees F. Its internal temperature will continue to rise as the pork rests, however, so if you wait until your pork chop hits 145 on the grill, it will be overcooked by the time you eat it.
- I prefer to pull pork from the grill when it reaches 135 degrees F, covering it, and letting it rest for 10 minutes to let the carry over cooking finish the job and the meats juices to reincorporate. This method yields perfectly cooked, juicy pork every time!
Also Check: How To Clean The Inside Of The Grill
Making The Best Pork Chops On The Grill
My Baked Pork Chops recipe is one of the most popular recipes on this site. I get so many comments and messages from readers that rave about them . The combination of spices and the juicy tender meat definitely makes our readers happy.
The truth is that I love pork chops and pork meat in general. Pork is lean, incredibly flavorful, readily available and budget friendly. Grilling pork chops on a gas grill outdoors , a pellet or charcoal grill or even on the stove top on a grill pan, seems to add an extra layer of delicious flavor.
How To Prepare The Pork Chop Marinade
- Add all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the pork chops to a large resealable plastic bag. Pour marinade over the chops and seal the bag then toss until well coated then refrigerate.
- Let them marinate for at least an hour to soak up the delicious sweet and savory marinade. They’ll be the juiciest and most flavorful pork chops you’ll ever taste!
Also Check: How To Make Lobster Tails On The Grill
Grilled Bone In Pork Chops
Grilled Bone In Pork Chops with a 3 ingredient marinade. Just soy sauce, honey, and water slightly sweet for perfect grilled pork chops!
These super easy grilled pork chops are another recipe for you to keep in your summer grilling collection! I just love those summer nights where you throw a great protein on the grill, rustle up some garden grown veggies for a side dish, and dinner is done.
This is a fantastic recipe to prep in the morning and keep in the fridge marinading. These pork chops will be ready to throw on the grill whenever you are ready. I adore recipes that are simple and really easy like this one!
Recommended Reading: Pork Steak Temp On Grill
How To Keep Pork Chops From Drying Out
My fondest childhood memories are eating over at my grandmothers house. That sweet, southern woman could cook the perfect fried chicken, but give her a pork chop and she would serve up a tough leathery hockey puck. Its the reason weve all shied away from cooking pork chops for so long! Am I right? But fear not. There are tried and true ways to ensure those chops are tender and juicy.
- Buy bone-in pork chops, ideally the center-cut rib chop, which is the most tender.
- Thick pork chops are key. Anything less that ¾ in thickness will inevitably end up cooking too quickly and drying out.
- If you do end up with a different cut or a boneless pork chop, soaking them in a salt water brine for a minimum of 30 minutes tenderizes the meat throughout the chop.
- Bringing the meat to room temperature helps the meat cook more evenly.
- Use a meat thermometer to make sure your pork chops reach exactly 145 degrees, and remove them from the grill immediately.
- Make sure your pork chops get their moment of rest . The fibers of the meat relax as it is resting, and this gives the pork chops the juicy tenderness we all aspire to.
Read Also: How Do You Make Bbq Chicken On The Grill
Also Check: Don Patron Mexican Grill Menu