Ingredients For This Grilled Pork Chops Recipe
- Bone-in pork chops Go for bone-in thicker cuts, as they typically have more flavor and turn out extra juicy.
- Olive oil an extra virgin or light olive oil will work well here.
- Garlic Youll want to use fresh garlic over garlic powder. If you love garlic, feel free to throw in a few extra cloves to the marinade.
- Lemon juice Youll need 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice from about 1/2 lemon.
- Black pepper Opt for freshly cracked black pepper for more flavor
- Kosher Salt A coarse, flakey kosher salt works best for the marinade.
Grilled Thick Cut Pork Chop Recipes
What should I make for dinner tonight? This might just be the number one question that we ask ourselves almost daily over here.
Then you have come to the right place, we have rounded up 21 grilled thick cut pork chop recipes that we have shared over the years.
Plus, there is such a variety of flavours in these recipes, so you are sure to find something for you. Most of these recipes are quick and easy ones made especially for busy weeknights.
What Temperature Should Pork Be Cooked To
According to USDA guidelines, pork should be cooked to an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit. Grill the pork chops until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 135 degrees Fahrenheit when checked with an instant read thermometer on the thickest part of the chop. Remove from the grill and let the meat rest for 10 minutes. During this time, the meat will reach a safe 145 degrees Fahrenheit which puts them at a nice juicy medium temperature.
You May Like: What Movies Are Playing At Studio Movie Grill
What Cut Of Pork Chops Are Best For Grilling
When buying pork chops, there are a lot of options since chops can be cut from different areas of the loin. The section at the front of the loin near the shoulder, called the blade end, is the fattiest cut. Rib chops are leaner and have a large, smooth section of meat. Bone-in center-cut chops have both the loin and tenderloin, and the sirloin is from the back end and has lots of muscles.
For grilling, I like rib or center-cut chops since theyre tender and dont have too many chewy muscles. While I personally like bone-in since I like nibbling on the meat attached to the bones, boneless will work too. I always buy pork chops that are at least 1-inch thick, as thinner pork chops tend to cook too quickly before they have a chance to develop a nice crust on the outside.
Grilled Pork Chops Recipe
Heres hoping this grilled pork chops recipe made for an incredible dinner! Its hard to pass up great food that is fast and easy to make. Let us know what you thought of this recipe in the comments below!
This recipe was originally published in April 2015 . It has since been updated with new photos and tips, but the recipe remains the same.
Don’t Miss: Active Grille Shutter Repair Cost
How Long Do Pork Chops Take On The Grill
When preparing an outdoor grill for pork chops, youll need to heat it for two levels of heat. The chops get seared over high heat to get those gorgeous grill marks for about three minutes per side, then moved over to medium heat to finish cooking, which will take anywhere from four to seven minutes depending on the thickness of the chops. This creates a nice crust on the outside and juicy meat inside. And remember to keep the grill covered the whole time so that heat doesnt escape.
How To Grill Pork Chops Step By Step
Note: check out our grilled pork chops temperature guide below. Youll see that were recommending taking the meat off the grill 5ºF lower than your preferred doneness. As pork rests, it will continue to cook around 5ºF.
You May Like: Which Grill Should I Buy
How To Flavor Grilled Pork Chops For Grilling
There are two main ways that you can flavor pork chops for grilling > marinades or dry rubs.
: a marinade is like a flavor bath for your pork. It infuses the meat with delicious flavors and leaves your pork extra juicy. In this recipe, were using our go-to pork chop marinade .
Dry Rubs: dry rubs are a great way to add amazing texture to the outside along with intense flavor. If youd rather use a dry rub for this recipe, we recommend our Pork Rub. Its sweet, savory, and a little smokey. Its made with black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, brown sugar, and a little cinnamon.
PS: if you want ultra-tender chops, feel free to use our pork chop brine.
Pork Chops Internal Temperature
The best way to know if your pork chops are done is by measuring the internal temperature. Everyone likes to eat their pork chops slightly differently. Some like it well done and some like it medium-rare.
So, below you will find internal temperatures corresponding to doneness:
- 145-150ºF medium-rare
Recommended Reading: How To Barbecue Chicken Breast On The Grill
How To Make Grilled Pork Chops
- Pat the Pork Chops Dry Pat the pork chops dry with a paper towel to help the marinade stick better.
- Make the Marinade In a large bowl, whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and black pepper together.
- Rub the Marinade Rub the marinade all over the sides of the pork chops and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Allow them to sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Grill the Pork Chops Grill the pork chops on high for about 5 minutes on each side of the grill grate. Pull them off the grill when the internal temperature reaches 140°F.
- Allow the Chops to Rest Allow the pork chops to rest for 10 minutes before slicing into them. This will bring the internal temperature to 145°F and make them extra juicy.
Pro Tip: If you can, let the pork chops marinate overnight. It will take the flavor of the chops to the next level!
Pro Tip: The grilling time will depend on the thickness of the pork chops. If youre using thicker chops, they will take longer. Thinner chops will need less time.
Juicy Grilled Pork Chops
Pork chops have long been known as a working mans meal. Theyre economical, lean and healthy, and quick to cook. They also have a history of coming to the dinner table dry and withery as shoe leather.
But no more! Today is the day to banish that belief because tough, dried out pork chops are about to be expelled from your vocabulary.
My husband has made these simple grilled pork chops so many times hes figured out the secrets. Whether bone-in or boneless, these pork chops turn out tender, juicy, a little bit smokey, and far from any mode of foot fashion.
Even better, these grilled pork chops dont need a marinade or a brine, so they go from package to grill to dinner in 30 minutes.
Heres how to make perfectly juicy grilled pork chops every time.
Recommended Reading: Where Is Camp Chef Pellet Grill Made
Using A Dry Brine For Juicy Grilled Pork Chops:
Because pork chops are fairly lean, brining is helpful for tenderizing and evenly seasoning the meat. To make things easy, I use a dry brine rather than a liquid brine .
My dry brine is simply salt and pepper, rubbed evenly into both sides of the pork chops! Once seasoned, the pork chops go into the refrigerator, uncovered, for 2 to 24 hours. This is where the brining magic happens.
The salt draws out the meat juices through osmosis, of which then dissolves the salt, basically turning into a natural brine even though there isnt any liquid added. This brine is reabsorbed into the meat, breaking down tough muscle proteins to help achieve pork chop perfection.
Grilled Boneless Pork Chop Recipes
Boneless pork chops are super lean and absorb marinades and spice rubs really well. Plus, they cook quickly on the grill with tasty results! Scroll through to see our best grilled boneless pork chop recipes so you can switch up your summer grilling rotation when you need a quick and effortless dinner that doesn’t compromise on flavor.
Boneless pork chops are marinated in a white wine, lemon, garlic, and herb mixture, then grilled over hot coals with hickory chips for a great smoked flavor. For the best results, cover the grill while cooking so that the chops get infused with the smoke flavor.
Boneless pork chops are marinated in a sweet soy sauce and rosemary marinade before they are grilled until tender and juicy. “I used the marinade as a glaze and then reduced what was left for a dandy sauce,” says reviewer Steve Labus.
A sweet and spicy mixture is made by combining ketchup, maple syrup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, cloves, and pepper. Use it to marinate boneless pork chops before they’re grilled for tender and juicy results. “I thought this marinade was good, and I thought it was really good as a BBQ sauce by itself,” says Allrecipes Allstar Tammy Lynn.
Boneless pork chops are brushed with oil and seasoned generously with a cumin-chili mixture. They’re grilled and topped with a generous spoonful of refreshing nectarine-tomato salsa for a delicious recipe to add to your summer grilling rotation.
Read Also: How Long To Grill Chicken Strips
What Kind Of Pork Chops Are Best For Grilling
Personally, I prefer to grill thick, bone-in pork chops that have a lean area, with a good amount of fat all around to keep the grilled pork chop juicy. Just like rib pork chops.
I often grill boneless pork chops since they are my husbands favorite. When I do, I purchase thick pork chops and soak them in a quick marinade or I season them with a spice rub and let them sit in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours before cooking them.
How Long To Cook Pork Chops On The Grill
One of the best parts about grilling pork chops? It is FAST!
The amount of time you need to cook pork chops on the grill will vary based on the thickness and whether you choose bone-in or boneless.
- My recommended 1 ½ inch, bone-in pork chops cook in 9 to 12 minutes over medium high heat. Flip them once halfway through.
- Check the pork early. You can always put your pork back on the grill to cook for longer, but once its overcooked, there is no return.
Recommended Reading: Salad With Grilled Chicken Recipe
What Is The Secret To Making Tender Pork Chops
How to Make Tender Pork Chops
Trick For Perfectly Cooked Pork Chops
- Pork is considered safe to eat at 145 degrees F. Its internal temperature will continue to rise as the pork rests, however, so if you wait until your pork chop hits 145 on the grill, it will be overcooked by the time you eat it.
- I prefer to pull pork from the grill when it reaches 135 degrees F, covering it, and letting it rest for 10 minutes to let the carry over cooking finish the job and the meats juices to reincorporate. This method yields perfectly cooked, juicy pork every time!
Recommended Reading: Member’s Mark 3-piece Modular Outdoor Kitchen 5 Burner Grill
Video Result For Thick Grilled Pork Chop Recipes
BBQ Pork Chops Recipe – Easy Grilled Juicy Thick-Cut…
Tender and Juicy Thick Cut Grilled Pork Chops
Grilled Thick Cut Pork Chops| Weber Kettle| HauseBBQ
How To Serve And Store Leftovers
Side dishes are always hard to choose. I suggest vegetables like Grilled Mixed Vegetables or Grilled Asparagus make an excellent side dish. We like to have potatoes of some type like Grilled Baby Potatoes.
The common cold dishes like potato salad, broccoli salad, macaroni salad, or a fresh garden salad goes with everything grilled.
Brown Sugar Cinnamon Glazed Grilled Pineapple is a great dessert served with ice cream. Or a simple fruit salad.
Don’t Miss: Who Has Grills On Sale
Brined Pork Chops Faqs
What is the basic brining formula for pork?
We prefer a water, salt, and sugar brine using the following measurements: 1 tablespoon of kosher salt and 2 tablespoons of sugar to 1 cup water.
How long should pork chops stay in the brine?
We recommend a minimum of 1 hour of brining for pork chops that are 3/4 to 1-inch thick, but they can remain in the brine for up to 4 hours without any harm. Prepare your brine making sure that the sugar and salt dissolve completely, then let it cool before adding the meat. Never put warm brine on raw meat.
Should pork chops be refrigerated while brining?
For safety, all meat should be refrigerated while being brined and you should always let the brine cool at least to room temperature before adding the meat.
Do pork chops need to be rinsed after brining?
It is not necessary to rinse pork chops after brining, but they should be patted dry with paper towels before cooking. Whether youre grilling, roasting, broiling, or pan-searing your chops, making sure they are dry on the outside will ensure that they are nicely browned.
How To Make The Best Grilled Pork Chops
To make these mouthwatering pork chops, you need the following:
- Thick-cut, boneless pork chops
This recipe takes at least 4 hours to make because you want to rub the all-purpose seasoning on the pork chops ahead of time so that the meat will soak up the delicious spices.
You can make the seasoning blend at home or purchase it from 4Rivers Smokehouse.
We love these pork chops rubbed with 4Rivers Smokehouse All-Purpose Rub so much it has become a pantry staple for us.
To make the chops, generously rub the seasoning on the top and bottom of the pork chops, as well as the sides.
Refrigerate the seasoned pork chops for at least 4 hours, ideally for 5-6.
When you get ready to grill the chops, remove them from the refrigerator and allow them to sit at room temperature while you prepare your grill.
Turn the burners on your gas grill to HIGH and heat for at least 10 minutes before putting the meat on the grill. You want the grill to get as hot as possible between 500 600 degrees Fahrenheit.
The following cook times are going to be based on ideal grilling conditions, meaning that it is warm outside and that your grill will be able to maintain its temperature.
To make things easy on yourself, use a timer or an app on your smartphone. These chops will get flipped at least three times during the cooking process to help ensure even cooking.
Once the grill is in the ideal cooking range, place the pork chops on the grates.
You May Like: How To Care For Cast Iron Grill Grates
Indoor Grill Pork Chops
To make BBQ pork chops indoors, youll need a grill pan.
The Difference Between Barbecue And Grilling
This beautifully designed all rounder knife is perfect for slicing through a juicy pork chop. Considered one of the most versatile blades in any chefs arsenal, the utility knife excels at a wide variety of culinary work from slicing, trimming and sectioning and to other more fine and precise challenges such as coring and peeling.
- Ice-tempered blade ensures excellent resilience and superior edge retention
- Ruthlessly sharp scalpel like edge is hand finished to a mirror polish within a staggering 13-15°
- Tapered blade design for durability and flexibility
- Polished spine to facilitate a comfortable pinch grip
- Beautiful hand polished satin finish blade, further refined with detailed engravings
- Cleans easily for low maintenance
The future is here. This is the start to a new beginning, and you’ve taken the very first step by joining the culinary revolution with your Dalstrong Quantum 1 Series knife – A knife meticulously crafted and proudly engineered for exceptional performance, and painstakingly hand sharpened by expert bladesmiths.
- Believe it or not, some folks are not crazy about the distinctive Quantum Series 1 look.
You May Like: Bbq Chicken Drumsticks On Grill
Side Dishes For Simple Grilled Thick
Searching for some culinary partners for your grilled, boneless pork chops? Try some of these palate-pleasing dishes:
- Baked beans: Bonus points if your beans are homemade or created in your smoker. Experiment with different types of beans to elicit different textures from your final product.
- Green beans: Speaking of beans, you can always go for the green. Stir fry, sautÃ© or steam your green beans. All they need is a drizzle of melted, salted, creamy butter to boost their natural goodness.
- Smashed red, white and blue potatoes: Grab a bag of small multi-hued potatoes and boil them until they are tender. Then, smash them with some whole milk, butter and a touch of salt. You never tasted anything so good!
- Homemade bread: What could be tastier than a big slab of homemade white or wheat bread fresh from the oven? While your pork chops are doing their thing in the smoker, you could be baking a hearty loaf.
- Applesauce: Yes, Peter Brady had it right: pork chops and applesauce definitely go together. See how many baby boomers get the joke when you serve up sweet and tangy applesauce alongside your juicy grilled pork chops.
Drooling over the possibilities? Even if you never knew how to grill boneless pork chops before, this recipe gives you all the inside details. In no time flat, youll be confidently plating some of the finest thick-cut pork chops your family has ever seen.