What Sides Should I Serve With Lobster Tails
Some popular sides that go well with lobster tails are actually more meat. Lobster goes well with steak, shrimp, or other seafood dishes like clambakes.
Check out how we do surf and turf in the north east.
If youre looking for the lobster tail to be the main dish, vegetable sides like mashed potatoes or grilled asparagus make for a great side dish and recipes are easy to find. If you want to boost your presentation, lay the lobster on a bed of lemon rice. We dont recommend grilling the rice.
How To Properly Thaw Frozen Lobster Tails
There are two different methods you can use to thaw frozen lobster tails.
- Leave them in the fridge overnight . Place th frozen lobster tails in a covered dish in the refrigerator overnight to let them naturally thaw. Drain them of excess moisture and prepare according to recipe instructions.
- Quick thaw them in the sink. If youre short on time, soak the tails in a bowl of cold water in the sink for 30 minutes.
Tips For Grilling Lobster
Following these tips will make the cooking process easier and enhance the flavor of your lobster.
- Prepare your ice bath before you boil the lobster.
- Use sea salt. Anything that comes from the sea tastes better with sea salt.
- When you grill, start with the flesh side down. Then when you finish, the flesh side will be up so you can add a small amount of additional compound butter.
- After the lobster is off the grill, and just before serving, add a final squeeze of fresh lemon and a dash of sea salt.
You May Like: How To Clean Porcelain Grill Grates
How To Cook Frozen Lobster Tails On The Grill
To cook frozen lobster tails, you must fully defrost them. Then, follow the preparation steps above.
Once the lobster tails are prepared, the cooking is simple. Preheat your Traeger grill to 500 degrees Fahrenheit, place the lobster tails directly on the grill, and cook for 25 to 30 minutes or until the meat is firm to the touch.
Preparing And Grilling Lobster Tails
Once the lobster tails are thawed, theres a little more prep that needs to be done before they hit the grill. Because of their shape one end is significantly thicker than the other cooking them evenly is difficult if you keep them whole. To make sure they cook evenly and to create a wide, flat surface for melting the garlic butter, butterfly the tails first.
Butterflying means to halve something into two thinner, more even pieces. For a lobster tail, this means cutting through the hard shell with kitchen shears, then slicing the tail meat in half so that it can open up flat like a book. One other step worth doing is using your fingers to loosen the meat from the shell, which will make it easier to remove the meat once the lobster is cooked. Once butchered properly, the lobster tail meat will cook up evenly without the need for skewers or other tools to keep it from curling up.
To grill the lobster tails, place them meaty-side down on a really hot grill for a few minutes to get some grill marks. Once they release easily from the grill grates, flip them over and top with an easy-to-make garlic butter . The total cook time depends on the size of the tail. You want the meat to be just cooked through, so aim for an internal temperature of 135 to 140ºF. Serve with lemon wedges for a nice bright pop of flavor to cut through the richness of the garlic butter and the sweetness of the lobster meat.
You May Like: How Long Grill Halibut
How To Grill Lobster Tails
Lets get to the good stuff how to cook lobster tails on the grill!
- Grill flesh side down. Place lobster tails on the grill flesh side down and cook without moving for 5-6 minutes, until the flesh is starting to brown and the shells start to turn red.
- Add lemon garlic butter. Flip the lobster tails and brush the melted seasoned garlic butter over the lobster meat. Close the grill and cook until opaque. Serve with more of the seasoned butter.
TIP: Be careful when brushing on the butter. Try to apply it to the flesh only and dont let it drip through the grates, as this can cause the grill to flare up.
Whats The Best Way To Butterfly Lobster Tails For Grilling
This method is great for the hotter cooking methods as it allows the tail meat to absorb the complementary smoky tastes from grilling. Butterfly lobster tails also make it easy to marinade in advance, and baste while cooking.
Interested in the other ways to prepare lobster? Read our article on the different ways to cook and prepare lobster.
You May Like: Charcoal Grill Steaks Lid On Or Off
Open The Lobster Like A Book
3. The remaining soft membrane will keep the sections intact while exposing the meat.
4. Lobster is grilled over direct medium heat. Rub the flesh with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
5. Grill flesh side down for approximately 5-7 minutes, then flip. Figure another 4-5 minutes after you flip the tail. I am using 6-8 oz. tails here.
Storing & Reheating Tips
Lobster tails are best eaten fresh off the grill. However, you can store them for up to a day before they begin to turn.
- Storing: To keep your tails as fresh as possible, store them in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Reheating: To reheat, place the lobster tails in the oven until warmed through, basting them every 45 seconds with melted garlic butter to prevent them from drying out.
Also Check: Pork Chops On Grill Internal Temp
Master Grilling Lobster Tails With Our Ready To Grill Tails
- Only sell hard-shell lobsters for maximum meat in every tail
- Never add chemicals or preservatives 100% natural
These tails are ready to be put to the ultimate grilling test. Check them out!
The Very Best Grilled Lobster Tail Recipe
Easy and simple, Grilled Lobster Tails are something extra special during the summer months but can actually be made all year long thanks to frozen lobster tails! Ready in minutes and served with a savory Garlic Butter Sauce, you can turn any night of the week into a celebration.
Read Also: How To Clean A Traeger Grill
How To Prepare Lobster Tails For Grilling
Once you’ve butterflied the lobster tail, the only other preparation step is seasoning.
As mentioned above, we recommend making a compound butter butter mixed with herbs and seasonings to spoon over the meat before cooking.
You can make compound butter with whatever fresh herbs or other seasonings you like, but here’s another mixture we recommend.
- Lemon juice
See below for the full recipe.
Serving Suggestions For Grilled Lobster Tails
Okay wait, theres two more things! The first is the matter of side dishes. Once you have your lobster tails, what should you serve with them?
Ive got a couple of suggestions if you need them!
- Grilled Vegetables: While you have the grill out, toss on some veggies! Try sometime like this Grilled Asparagus or this Grilled Zucchini Salad with Corn and Tomatoes.
- Rolls: Save some of that garlic butter sauce and slather it on a toasted roll or slice of bread.
- Salad: You can make any kind, really. Pasta salad, potato salad, a green salad, etc. Personally, Im a big fan of this Quinoa Salad!
Also Check: Weber Grills Parts And Accessories
Pro Tips For Making The Grilled Lobster Tail
Making grilled lobster tail might sound difficult, but its actually quite straightforward. A few tips will help you bring it all the way home.
- Dont slice through the base. To keep your beautiful lobster tails intact, dont slice through the tail.
- Pick the freshest lobster possible. When youre hunting for fresh lobster tails at the market, there are a few things to look for:
- A brownish shell and grayish flesh
- No fishy smell or pungent odor
- No slimy texture.
- Use an instant-read thermometer. To make sure the lobster tail is at a safe internal temperature to eat, use a meat thermometer to take the guesswork out. Once it hits 140°F its good to go!
How To Butterfly Lobster Tails For Grilling
The first step in any grilled lobster recipe is to prep the lobster. You can butterfly lobster tails for grilling by bringing the flesh over the shell the same way you would for broiled lobster tails, but below Ill show you a different, slightly easier method.
- Cut the lobster shell. Cut down the center of the shell lengthwise, starting from the end opposite the tail fins and going down the the tail, but do not cut the tail.
TIP: Cut the top shell only. You want to cut the top shell and some of the flesh, but not all the way through the bottom shell.
- Cut. Use a knife to cut lengthwise along the center ridge, but again dont cut through the bottom shell.
- Flatten. Use your hands to pry open the tail and then press with your palm to flatten, so that it opens up.
- Skewer. Run the skewer lengthwise through the center of the flesh. This helps to prevent the lobster tail from curling up on the grill.
TIP: Soak your skewers in water first, so they dont start a fire on the grill. Simply place them in a shallow pan filled with water for 30-60 minutes and weigh down with a bowl to keep them submerged.
Recommended Reading: Weber Genesis Serial Number Location
On Preparing Grilled Lobster Tail
Now that weve covered how to butterfly the lobster tail, its time to season and grill.
- Make the Butter Sauce: In a small bowl, whisk the melted butter with pressed garlic and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Season the Lobster Tail: Using a grill brush, spread oil on top of the lobster meat. Sprinkle the tops with salt.
- Grill the Lobster Tail: Place the tails on a grill preheated to 400°F flesh side down. Grill the flesh for about 5 minutes, or until grill marks form. Next, flip the tail over and grill until the flesh turns opaque .
- Finish the Lobster Tails with Butter: Finally, brush the lobster tails with the butter mixture. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Serve Up A Casual Grilled Lobster Dinner
Place your lobsters on a large platter and serve with plenty of butter and lemon wedges. You can pre-crack the claws with the chef knife. For a casual affair cover table with the local newspaper and lay some shell crackers and seafood forks on the table so your guests can dig in.
- Charcoal-Grilled Lobsters Cooks Illustrated.Cooks Illustrated. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 May 2015.
- White, Jasper. Lobster at Home. New York: Scribner, 1998. Print.
- Coffey, B. . Lobster lovers cookbook. N. Attleboro, Mass.: Douglas Charles Press.
Recommended Reading: Clean Grill Grates With Vinegar
Finding The Perfect Lobster Tails For The Grill
Make a big splash this grilling season with our ready to grill lobster tails. All the work is done, just defrost, add your favorite rub or marinade and grill! Be sure to check out our Lobster Tails line up featuring 6-7 oz. cold-water tails all the way up to our huge colossal tails
If you love lobster tails, and you love barbeque, be sure to take a look at our one-of-a-kind BBQ lobster tails. Whats so special about these lobster tails?
In short, these special lobster tails were made for the grill. To learn more about our barbecue lobster tails and have them shipped to you .
What To Serve With Grilled Lobster
Always serve grilled lobster with a side of melted butter for extra dipping. A little warm bread is nice too.
As far as side dishes — frankly, when you make grilled lobster, most people won’t be that interested in anything else you serve.
Also Check: How Long To Cook Pork Chops On Propane Grill
How Do I Make Lobster Meat Tender
Boil, steam, or grill, but dont overcook But if you overcook it, the meat will be tough and tasteless instead of sweet and tender. But if you overcook it, the meat will be tough and tasteless instead of sweet and tender. Though you can steam, broil, or grill lobster, boiling is the most popular method.
How To Cook Lobster Tail At Home
When you want to make lobster at home but you don’t want to wrestle with a whole lobster, just go for the lobster tail. It’s meaty and easy to cook, and delivers all the lobster goodness you’re hungry for. And if you want to skip the cooking altogether, you can buy ready-cooked lobster meat. Read on to learn what to look for when you’re buying lobster tail and get several methods for cooking lobster tail at home.
Don’t Miss: Grill Temp For Pork Chops
Simple Grilled Whole Lobster Recipe
- Prep Time:25 minutes
- pinchof ground pepper
- 1teaspoonminced garlic
You Might Also Like
How Do You Cook Already Cooked Lobster
While whole cooked lobsters can be prepared in many ways, the most common method is steaming: Place a steaming rack in the bottom of a pot large enough to fit 2 whole lobsters, and fill with 2 inches of water and 2-3 tablespoons of salt. Bring to a boil and then place lobsters in, one at a time, and cover the pot.
Don’t Miss: Smoke Steaks On Traeger
How Can You Tell If Lobster Is Cooked
Cooked lobster is slightly firm to the touch and nontransparent. The meat will be white and can be easily separated by two forks.
If the meat is soft to the touch or still transparent, it needs more time on the grill.
Lobsters turn red when you cook them, but the pigment itself does not tell you whether the meat is perfectly cooked.
Buying Cooked Lobster Meat
A good seafood market often carries cooked lobster meat, or you can order it online . When you’re buying cooked lobster meat, be sure to specify whether you want lobster tail meat only, or a combination of tail, claw, and knuckle meat. You can store cooked lobster meat in the fridge for up to 3 days, but do try to eat it up right away for the freshest flavor.
Recommended Reading: How Hot Should The Grill Be For Pork Chops
Buying And Thawing Lobster Tails
Frozen lobster tails can be from clawed or clawless lobsters. There are a couple of ways to tell which ones are being sold. Check the package or ask the fishmonger for the region the lobster was caught in. If it doesnt say, take a look at the color: Maine lobster tails are generally dark green-brown with hints of red. Spiny lobsters are lighter in color, with a range of relatively pale yellows and browns, and some have distinctive spots. Maine lobster tails are prized for their sweet flavor and are more expensive than spiny lobster tails, which dont cook up as sweet. Both are fine choices for grilling, but if I had to pick one over the other, Id go with Maine lobster tails.
Because lobsters must be cooked or frozen immediately after theyre killed, raw lobster tails are always sold frozen. Instead of removing the tails from whole fresh lobster, I find it easier to buy frozen lobster tails since theyre usually processed and flash frozen soon after theyre caught. I usually buy one6- to 8-ounce lobster tail per person, although you can always go smaller or larger depending on what else youre serving or what your store carries.
The best way to defrost lobster tails safely and evenly is to put them on a plate or baking sheet in a single layer in the refrigerator and let them thaw for about 24 hours. This keeps them at a safe temperature and thaws them more evenly than leaving them out at room-temperature or thawing them under cold running water.