Ready To Hit The Grill
Us too! Try some of PWWBs Top Grilling Recipes ASAP!:
- PWWB Go-To Grilling Marinades 15 go-to recipes youll turn to time & time again, all summer long!
- Easy Grilled Veggies How to grill pretty much any vegetable. Vegan-friendly!
- The Very BEST Grilled BBQ Chicken A summertime classic perfected, thanks to a few simple steps that yield the juiciest, most flavorful BBQ chicken ever.
- Absolutely PERFECT Grilled Buffalo Wings Crispy buffalo perfection. Made with just 3 simple ingredients, grilled chicken wings could not be easier!
- Grilled Black Bean Burgers Burgers arent just for meat-lovers! These grilled veggie burgers are hearty, textural & grill up like a dream!
- Best-Ever Grilled Turkey Burgers Kiss everything you think you know about turkey burgers goodbye. The juiciest, most flavorful grilled turkey burgers youll ever eat!
- PWWB House Burgers The easy French Onion Burgers that were obsessed with at the PWWB House!
- Grilled Wisconsin Beer Brats The easiest Wisconsin-style beer brats, yielding perfectly juicy & crisp brats every time!
- Grilled SausageHow to grill sausage perfectly, every single time! This simple method can translate into dozens of delicious & easy summer dinners no flare ups here!
- Grilled Tuscan Steak Perfectly juicy grilled steak, seasoned with Tuscan-style aromatics. The ultimate grilled steak dinner!
Follow along with Plays Well With Butter on , , & for more easy, modern recipes & fun!
Making Bbq Chicken Ahead Of Time
I dont like to let my chicken breasts brine for more than an hour or two , so I wouldnt make this entirely ahead of time.
That being said, you can certainly make up the rub ahead of time just keep it in an airtight container on the counter.
If youre making your own bbq sauce, that too can be made ahead of time . My favorite homemade bbq sauces are:
Leftover chicken should be refrigerated in an airtight container and consumed within 3-4 days.
What To Serve With Grilled Chicken
Grilled chicken is a healthy, delicious main course to serve by itself-but there are tons of ways to dress it up, too. You can put grilled chicken in just about anything: sliced on top of salads, stuffed into sandwiches, shredded for chicken soups or skewered on a kabob. Or top the dish off with a heaping pile of grilled veggies and youve got yourself dinner!
Recommended Reading: Temperature To Cook Pork Tenderloin On Grill
A Brief History Of Orange Bbq Chicken
The Internet is swarming with orange BBQ chicken recipes. Why? Orange and chicken make a dynamic duo, and their resulting flavor is off the charts. Honestly, were not even sure who first invented the orange BBQ chicken recipe. We just know its popular and for obvious reasons.
First, take the history of the barbecue. Barbecues, at least in the way Americans view them, consist of meat cooked over a grill or pit and lathered in basting sauce and spices. The word barbecue comes from a Caribbean Indian tribe called the Taino. This tribe used to grill all sorts of meat on raised wooden grates and called it barbacoa. Since then, the popularity of grills spread like a flame .
As for orange chicken, Chef Andy Kao claims to have developed the original Chinese-American orange chicken recipe in 1987 in Hawaii.
More Top Tips To Make Grilled Bbq Chicken
- Use organic chicken that hasnt been raised on antibiotics.
- Check out this video to see how to cut up a whole chicken.
- Use your favorite bbq sauce for this recipe or try this homemade version.
- Let the chicken sit for a few minutes before serving it.
- You can make this recipe year round! Just use an indoor grill pan on the stovetop.
Read Also: Free Grill Assembly And Delivery
Quick Tips For Grilling Chicken Breasts:
How long do I grill chicken breast?
Grill chicken breasts for around 9 to 10 minutes total, flipping halfway through.
How long do you grill chicken on each side?
Grill chicken breasts around 5 minutes on each side.
What’s the perfect grilled chicken temp?
Internal temperature of chicken breasts should be 165°F.
How hot should your grill be for chicken?
Heat your grill to between 425 and 450°F for chicken breasts.
Boneless Chicken Breast Or Bone
Boneless chicken breasts wont have as much flavor as the bone-in/skin-on variety. Thats why basting in BBQ sauce at the end of the cooking time is where youll find a lot of flavor. And when seasoned and cooked correctly, even my recipe for basic sauce-less grilled chicken breasts can taste flavorful and juicy every time.
Most chicken eaters prefer the white meat of chicken breasts. So for chicken thats cooked quick, I use basic, skinless, boneless chicken breasts. Of course you can use this same cooking method for skin-on, bone-in BBQ chicken breasts, or for legs and thighs too. The technique is the same, the cooking times will vary.
Larger chicken breasts do not always translate to better chicken. Bigger breasts take longer to cook, and cook unevenly or overcook. Look for chicken breasts that are between 6 to 9 ounces per piece. If youre chicken breasts are thin on the ends and fat in the middle, trim the thin ends off so they dont crisp and burn..
If you want an extra fast BBQ chicken breast, slice your boneless breasts in half lengthwise to make two thin cutlets. Theyll cook in half the time.
Read Also: Temp Of Grilled Pork
How To Grill Chicken On A Gas Grill
Cooking boneless chicken breasts is seen as one of the easiest bbq skills to master. But slow down there, my grilling friend. There are a few tips that will help turn you from BBQ fan to BBQ pro. Heres how to grill chicken on a gas grill.
Grilled chicken recipes have long been a staple in our household. Its my favorite meat to cook with by some way, with it taking centre place in some of my best BBQ recipes. My fondest memories of summer involve cooking up beautiful chicken breasts on our terrace.
Dont get me wrong, I still love grilled burgers and steaks, but neither come close to chicken for me. Whether its simple chicken burgers or elaborate kebabs, theres a great grilled chicken recipe for any meat eater.
But grilling chicken is something that isnt as easy as it looks. They can dry out really quickly, which is enough to leave any BBQ party flat.
Chicken can easily be cooked on a gas grill at 425°F/220°C. Just grill for 5 minutes on each side, or until the meats internal temperature hits 165°F/75°C.
The secret to a perfectly grilled chicken doesnt just lie in its time on the grill, but also the preparation time before. With pre-seasoning and brining as crucial a step as any.
Heres my step-by-step guide to show you how to grill chicken on a gas grill.
The Best Bbq Chicken Calls For The Simplest Ingredients
The best thing about grilled BBQ chicken is the fact that youve likely got everything you need to make it on hand at any point in time. Absolutely necessary for any summer staple!
The cast of characters includes :
- chicken You can use whatever chicken parts you love most for this BBQ chicken recipe: breasts, drumsticks, wings, leg quarters, thighs it all works! Personally, I have a thing for chicken thighs I think theyre the tastiest, most flavorful & juicy part of the chicken.
- beer or buttermilk, used for a quick BBQ chicken marinade. Both are delicious in their own right. Beer lends an awesome funky flavor , while buttermilk tenderizes the chicken. Use whatever youve got on hand or whatever youre in the mood for.
- spices, like chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, mustard powder, onion powder, & smoked paprika, which, when combined with a little bit of brown sugar, create the easiest & most delicious dry rub for chicken. I buy all my spices & staples at ALDI. Theyre super high quality, fragrant & full-flavored, & totally affordable.
- BBQ sauce Use your fave! You can, of course, make your own BBQ sauce from scratch. With so many amazing bottled BBQ sauces out there, I always opt to just grab something from the store. The Burmans BBQ sauces at ALDI are my personal favorite. With a variety for each major BBQ region , its fun to pick & choose what youre in the mood for whenever you make grilled BBQ chicken. I always keep a bottle of each stocked in my pantry.
Also Check: Best Way To Clean Porcelain Grill Grates
How To Grill Bbq Chicken:
Grilling BBQ chicken is really simple, but doing it the right way requires a little bit of technique. This recipe utilizes a quick brine, a flavorful dry rub, & indirect grilling, a simple combination that yields perfectly tender, juicy, & flavorful BBQ chicken every time. Youll be making the absolute best BBQ chicken on the grill in no time!
Note: full Recipe Directions are provided in the Recipe Card, below.
#1 Start with an easy grilled BBQ chicken marinade.
Before you panic about the need to mix up a complicated marinade for your chicken, let me assure you were keeping things really minimal here. This grilled BBQ chicken marinade is actually a simple brine!
Because chicken is pretty lean, marinating or brining it before you barbecue it is key. A quick brine will help ensure your grilled barbecue chicken stays totally juicy & doesnt dry out on the grill.
2 brine options:
- Beer brine: Even if youre not a beer lover , soaking chicken in beer adds an incredibly rich, deep flavor to the chicken. Its my favorite grilled chicken trick. For best flavor, use a full-bodied, dry & hoppy beer, such as an IPA.
- Buttermilk brine: If beer isnt your thing , you can use buttermilk, which is totally classic & has the added benefit of tenderizing the chicken. If you dont have buttermilk on hand, you can DIY it by adding a splash of vinegar or lemon juice to regular ol milk.
#2 Layer on the best grilled BBQ chicken rub.
#3 Get grilling!
Grilling BBQ Chicken:
Grilled Bbq Chicken Breast
The best summer meal! Whether you’re entertaining friends for a cookout or just preparing a quick weeknight meal, this Grilled BBQ Chicken Breast always wins rave reviews. Season the boneless, skinless chicken breast with a simple rub, throw it onto a gas or charcoal grill, and baste with barbecue sauce. Served with pasta salad, mac and cheese, cornbread or coleslaw, this grilled chicken recipe is a picnic favorite!
You May Like: Char Broil Grill Cleaner
Special Equipment For This Recipe
- Tongs these tongs are durable and I love the longer one for grilling.
- Smoker Box in case you are adverse to using foil, or prefer something that will last.
- Basting Brush perfect for slathering on that bbq sauce!
- Wood Chips this is a good brand, and I love the variety pack.
- Internal Meat Thermometer the key to great grilling is to use a meat thermometer! This one is inexpensive, accurate, and so quick! If you prefer a thermometer that stays in the meat and can alert you when the meat has reached a set temperature, try this ThermoPro!
BE SURE TO SCROLL DOWN TO CHECK OUT OTHER READERS COMMENTS FOR TIPS AND REVIEWS.
AND DONT FORGET, IF YOUVE MADE THIS RECIPE, LEAVE A COMMENT AND PLEASE GIVE IT A STAR RATING LETTING ME KNOW HOW YOU ENJOYED IT!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
How To Make Grilled Bbq Chicken Thighs:
Place the chicken thighs into a large bowl. Sprinkle the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and pepper over the thighs. Toss to coat the chicken in the spices. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to marinate for 2 hours or use immediately.
Preheat the grill to medium heat and oil the grates. Once the grill is hot, place the chicken thighs, skin side down. Do not touch it for 7 minutes, or you can move them at a 45-degree angle to form diamond grill marks halfway through.
Flip the thighs over and let cook for 3 minutes. Brush the chicken on the side facing up lightly with bbq sauce, cook for an additional 3 minutes.
Flip the chicken again, and brush lightly with more bbq sauce on this side. Cook for 2 minutes. Flip one last time, and brush again with bbq sauce, the skin side should be up at this point. Continue to cook until an internal temperature reaches 165°F. About 20 total minutes on the grill.
Recommended Reading: Can I Convert My Weber Natural Gas Grill To Propane
How Do You Keep Chicken Legs From Sticking To The Grill
There are a few things you can do to help your chicken legs not stick to the grill.
- First, start off with a clean grill. Food is more likely to stick to the grate if it has leftover residue from a previous cookout.
- Preheat your grill, but make sure the temperature isnt too high! Putting your meat on once the grill has reached its target temperature will create steam and help to deter the meat and metal from getting too attached.
- Placing a thin layer of oil on the chicken will help reduce the likelihood of it sticking to the grill. You can also oil the grill grates as an alternative solution. Just use a high smoking point oil for the best results.
What Can I Serve With Grilled Bbq Chicken
So many things go great with BBQ chicken breasts including corn on the cob, grilled zucchini, or grilled asparagus .
Serving your BBQ chicken with a creamy pasta or Risotto/pilaf styled rice side dish is also a fun idea. Leftover chicken can be used in a BBQ chicken quesadilla or over a BBQ chicken salad.
I spent a lot of time thinking about how to get this recipe right, can you tell?!
With so many awesome ideas you cant possibly get bored with grilled BBQ chicken breasts! You just have to figure out how to grill BBQ chicken on your specific grill through good recipes and through some first hand experience.
Remember, grilling can be a little more challenging than regular cooking because gauging your grills temperature isnt always very accurate. Just get out there and practice, no one will complain about you grilling more frequently!
Let me know how it turns out for you!
Recommended Reading: How Long Do You Grill Chicken Thighs On A Gas Grill
How Long Do I Grill Chicken Breast
The grilling time depends on the temperature of your grill and the thickness of the chicken breasts. The temperature of a charcoal grill is difficult to regulate, and not all gas grills have a temperature gauge.
Your total grilling time for this recipe comes down to how long your chicken breasts take to get to the right internal temperature. When they reach an internal temperature of 155°F on an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the breast, take them off the grill. Cover in foil and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. The breasts will continue to cook and reach the recommended 165°F internal temperature.
How Long To Grill Bbq Chicken Leg Quarters
Cooking time may vary depending on the size of your chicken legs and the temperature of your grill. Factors, such as whether you are using a charcoal or a gas grill could affect how long it takes for your meat to be finished.
Generally, it will take about 40-60 minutes. The key is to cook your chicken leg quarters over the most direct heat on your grill.
Any chicken you cook should have the internal temperature reach 165 degrees F before removing it from the grill. It is also important to let your chicken rest for 5 minutes before digging in. If you do not have an instant read meat thermometer, another way to tell if the chicken is done is whether or not the juices run clear when you cut into the meat.
Also Check: Mcdonalds Grilled Chicken Nuggets
Key Steps For Bbq Chicken In The Oven
- Line your baking sheet with foil. BBQ chicken is messy and sticky prepping the pan with foil makes for way easier cleanup.
- Season the chicken directly and starting roasting it first. Another advantage of cooking the chicken solo for a bit? You can generously and directly season it. I think salt and a little garlic powder are all you need, but you could use your favorite spice mixture or rub too.
- Meanwhile, reduce the sauce. Right after you get the chicken in the oven, pour a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. The sauce will take about 25 minutes to reduce by half and should sync up nicely with the cooking time of the chicken.
- Crank up the heat to finish. Rather than turn on the broiler and risk burning the sauce in the final minutes, coat the chicken with the reduced sauce and turn up the ovens temperature. This makes for chicken that is sticky and burnished all over.
How To Make Grilled Bbq Chicken
You May Like: Can You Convert A Natural Gas Grill To Propane