Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
The trick to great grilled cheese sandwiches isnt in the ingredients, but on the stove. Achieving a golden, crusty outside and oozy inside takes a little patience: if the heat is too high, the outside will scorch before the cheese melts. Cooking the slices separately at first gives the cheese a good head start. Theres no need to search out artisanal loaves or local cheese , but definitely do not use homemade mayonnaise. Mustard, chutney or even strawberry jam can be dabbed on the cheese as it melts, or add ham, prosciutto or slices of apple or tomato . You can use any melting cheese, such as American, Muenster or Swiss, but not too much: part of the perfection here is in the proportion of bread to cheese.
Provided by Julia Moskin
BEST BISON BURGER RECIPE – HOW TO MAKE BISON BURGERS
BEST PIZZA BURGERS RECIPE – BEST BURGER RECIPES – DELISH.COM
61 BEST BURGER RECIPES | EASY BURGER RECIPE IDEAS …
BEST MUSHROOM SWISS BURGER RECIPE – BEST BEEF RECIPES
OUR 100 BEST RECIPES WITH CHEESE | MYRECIPES
72 BEST MACARONI AND CHEESE RECIPES | MAC AND CHEESE …
BEST HAMBURGER EVER RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
BEST BURGER SAUCE RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
33 BEST BURGER RECIPES | FOOD & AMP WINE
20 INCREDIBLE GOURMET GRILLED CHEESE RECIPES | IT IS A KEEPER
20 INCREDIBLE GOURMET GRILLED CHEESE RECIPES | IT IS A KEEPER
BURGER RECIPES – SERIOUS EATS
81 BEST GRILLED MEAT RECIPES | EPICURIOUS | EPICURIOUS
This Is Chef Matt Jennings He Is A Man You Should Trust When It Comes To Food And He Is Going To Show You How To Grill A Cheeseburger
Jennings started his career as a cheesemonger running the cheese shop Farmstead in Providence, RI. He later opened an adjoining restaurant, La Laiterie, and was a three-time finalist for the James Beard Foundation‘s ‘Best Chef – Northeast’ award. Earlier this year, he left Providence to focus on a new restaurant, Townsman, which will open in Boston later this year. If you know what’s good for you, you will make it a priority to try Townsman once it’s open.
The Keys To Making The Hamburgers
Type of Beef To Use
First of all, be sure to use ground beef that has a lean-to-fat ratio of 80/20.
You want to have this percentage of fat to help keep the texture moist. Not to mention, the little bit of fat will add a little extra flavor to your burger.
If you use ground sirloin that has a typical 90/10 ratio, your grilled hamburgers will most likely turn out dry and crumbly.
Now that you know the best type of ground beef to use, it is time to add a little flavor to your homemade hamburgers.
Instead of going overboard with seasonings that over power the taste of a grilled burger, we prefer to keep it simple.
A little minced garlic and onion adds a delicious, yet subtle flavor to your burgers.
But the true secret seasoning that makes these grilled hamburgers the best ever is Worcestershire sauce!
The sauce adds a hint of savory and sweet flavors along with a distinct tang that makes your mouth water as you take each bite.
In fact, these burgers are so delicious that ketchup, mustard, or A-1 sauce is not even necessary!
Forming the Patties
Now that you have the ingredients, you must know that there are a couple of secrets to making the best homemade grilled hamburgers.
First of all, just like when making meatloaf, you do not want to overmix the meat.
Mixing your ingredients too much is a very common mistake that can really make hamburgers turn out with a tough, dry texture.
Just mix the ingredients until incorporated and then form the patties.
Also Check: How Long To Cook Pork Chops On Grill
What Makes The Perfect Cheeseburger
Simple is always best when it comes to idea of the perfect burger. I realize that we all have differing thoughts and tastes when it comes to burgers but here are a few things that I find key to making a great burger:
- Beef: I tend to agree with the masses when it comes to the perfect fat to beef ratio in a burger. 80 percent beef to 20 percent fat ratio is my ideal for ground meat.
- Bun: No matter what buns you choose for your burger – make sure they are fresh and sturdy enough to hold the burger plus all your toppings. You want them to absorb the meat juices without falling apart. Grilling or toasting them with some butter on them is optional.
- Toppings: Fresh is key when it comes to your toppings. You want your lettuce to be fresh and your tomatoes to hold up – no mushy mealy ones here please. And I love sliced pickles that have some snap to them.
- Sauces: Choose the ones you love! My all time favorites are Mayo, ketchup and mustard. There are so many options though. My hubby loves bbq sauce and sriracha Mayo.
- Cheese: Choose your favourite cheese. Im a sucker for melty processed cheese and think it makes the perfect cheeseburger.for these burgers I used my go to Metros Selection Thick Cheddar Cheese Slices. I tend to use just one slice per burger but I will leave that up to you.
Video Result For Best Cheese For Grilled Hamburgers
THE BEST GRILLED CHEESE BURGER EVER? EASY BLACKSTONE…
How to Make Hamburgers – BEST Cheeseburgers Recipe!
Ultimate Juicy Burger Recipe – Perfect Burgers Every…
Don’t Miss: Which Traeger Grills Have Super Smoke
Perfect Grilled Cheeseburgers With Special Sauce
Recipe by Matt Jennings
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon sour cream
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1. Divide the ground chuck into 8 portions.
2. Take each portion and throw it against a cutting board from 8-12 inches above, once or twice on each side, to get rid of air and make a denser patty. Then shape each portion into large patties, about 4-inches in diameter and 1 1/2-inches thick, by rotating it in your hand using a light touch. Use your fingers to create a dimple in the middle of each patty, just on one side.
3. When your patties are formed, season them liberally with salt and pepper on both sides, lay them on a baking sheet or tray, and refrigerate them. You can season the meat as far as two hours in advance of grilling them, but no more.
Prepare your charcoal grill:
Pack 1-2 sheets of newspaper into the bottom of a grill chimney, then fill the chimney 1/2 of the way with coals , add another sheet of newspaper on top of the coals, then add another layer of coals to reach almost the top of the chimney. Light the newspaper under the chimney and set it on the bottom rack of the grill. Let the briquettes heat until all but the ones at the top are white, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare your special sauce and toppings.
Make special sauce:
Add all sauce ingredients to a medium mixing bowl and stir everything together to combine. Transfer sauce into a smaller serving bowl and refrigerate.
Crumple A Sheet Of Newspaper And Put It In The Bottom Of The Grill Chimney
A grill chimney has two compartments: a big top compartment and a little bottom compartment. The top, larger part is usually for the coals, the bottom part is where a lot of people put the crumbled newspaper. Jennings actually just shoves his newspaper in the bottom of the top compartment and makes sure that some is sticking through the bottom, as is pictured here, so he can light the paper on fire with a lighter. Other people put the newspaper in the bottom compartment and light it through one of those slots that are on the bottom rim of the chimney. Either way works.
Don’t Miss: How To Clean Traeger Grill Grates
Let Them Cook For 3 More Minutes They Will Be Almost Medium Rare
The burgers will be completely cooked on the outside but still very tender. Chef described the feeling of a medium-rare burger as being, “tender like a fresh loaf of bread.” That might be confusing to you, but the idea is that when you poke the burger with your finger, the meat on the inside is still soft enough to “give” a little bit. Your finger will make a little crater, but the meat is cooked enough that the crater will almost immediately spring back up.
How To Make Grilled Cheeseburgers
These are quite easy to make and also freeze well if you are making them ahead. More about that in recipe notes below.Here are the simple steps:
- Season your meat – specifics below.
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and shape into balls.
- Flatten each ball into a ¾-1 inch-thick patty, approx 4 inches across. Create a slight depression in the center of each patty.
- Grill the burgers on a preheated grill or grill pan 4-5 minutes on the first side until nicely browned. Flip once and continue grilling until desired doneness.
- Place cheese on burger the last minute of cooking to allow it to melt
- Serve on your favourite burger buns with your favourite toppings and sauces.
Recommended Reading: Napoleon Prestige 500 Built-in Natural Gas Grill
Best Grilled Burger Recipe Serious Eats
We are a Thermo King authorized Sales, Service and Parts dealership location. Thermo King is the world leader in transport temperature control systems for trucks, trailers, buses and rail cars. Thermo King also manufactures auxiliary power units, which dramatically reduce engine idling. As part of Thermo Kingâs unmatched nationwide dealer network, we provide expert factory-trained service when and where you need it, and a complete line of genuine and competitive parts. Trust us to get you back on the road quickly and keep you up and running.
Ideal Grilling Temperature & Cooking Times For Beef Burgers
You want the grill at a medium-high heat, approx 400 to 450°F for direct heat. I prefer grilling these patties quickly over direct heat not using a two zone method. A good sear goes a long way. These burgers wont take too long to grill approx 5 minutes per side. Grilling times may vary depending on the thickness of your burgers and your preferred doneness. Having a good meat thermometer always helps when in doubt.Burger Internal Temperature
- Med Rare 135°F
Recommended Reading: How Long To Grill Chicken Thighs Boneless
The Best Waterfront Restaurants For Outdoor Dining Around Anna Maria Islandyour Browser Indicates If You’ve Visited This Link
Last week, we spotlighted Sarasota restaurants found downtown on the Bayfront as well as ones on Siesta Key, Lido Beach, City Island and on the Sarasota County side of Longboat Key. For the second part of our newly relaunched series on best waterfront restaurants for outdoor dining,
Best Cheeses For Burgers
Sometimes, nothing beats a savory, melty cheeseburger. And if you’re going to make one, we’ve found that these cheeses are some of the best to use. American cheese is a melty classic smoked gouda is delicious on burgers with barbecue sauce. You can’t forget cheddar, either, which works with everything from pickled slaw and fried shallots to tarragon Russian dressing. Read on for recipes using those cheeses, and more of the best cheeses for burgers.
You May Like: How To Convert Gas Grill To Propane
Tips For Making The Best Grilled Burgers:
- Season your burger well. If you have quality ground beef, you dont need much other than some salt and pepper. That being said, we likely to use some extra spices in our blend for maximum flavour without distracting too much from the meaty flavours of the burger. This is optional but I recommend it.
- Do not over mix your ground beef. It will create a tougher less tender burger. Once you have formed your patties you can keep them chilled while you preheat grill so they maintain their shape. I keep mine on a sheet-pan covered with plastic wrap in the fridge.
- Adding a slight indent into the center portion of each burger patty prevents it from puffing up too much during grilling. Using a spoon or your fingers, to add an indent in the middle.
- The perfect burger has to be juicy. Minimal flipping required – I only flip once. The patty itself should be seared on the outside to lock in all that beefy goodness. Do NOT press on the burger on the grill. This will release all of its flavor and makes the burger dry and ends up crumbling.
Put The Chimney On The Bottom Rack Of Your Grill And Pour In A Layer Of Coals A Second Layer Of Crumpled Newspaper And A Second Layer Of Coals
Your grill should have two racks â a top and a bottom. The bottom rack of your grill is the one that coals go on. The top rack is the one you cook the food on.
The second layer of newspaper going in the chimney is not at all essential, but it’s good insurance that your coals will light, Chef says, especially on a windy day.
Don’t Miss: How Much Are Grills At Walmart
The Secrets To Making The Best Homemade Grilled Hamburgers
It is grilling season so that means it is time to share how we make the BEST Homemade Grilled Hamburgers.
If you follow our recipes, you know how much we love to use our gas grill, especially in the summer.
Whatever we can think of, we throw it on the grill!
But one of the most common things that we make on the grill is homemade hamburgers.
Now, I am not against using pre-packaged frozen hamburgers from the store.
Those work great when feeding a crowd or when you are in a hurry to get something on the table for dinner.
However, you cant beat the taste of a homemade burger!
The flavor is so much better than the ones that you get from the freezer section of the grocery store.
And you can save yourself some money by making them from fresh ground beef rather than purchasing formed patties from the butcher.
But there are a few keys to making sure that you make the BEST homemade grilled hamburgers. But be sure to check out our popular Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger recipe.