How To Make Lemon Pepper Grilled Cod In Foil
1. First, preheat the grill to medium. It will not take you long to prepare the fish!
2. Next, lay 4 large squares of foil on the countertop. Cut the butter into 4 sections and slice the lemon into rounds. Place one tablespoon of butter and one lemon slice in the center of each piece of foil.
3. Be sure to throughly yet gently pat each fish fillet dry with a paper towel. Then lay one fillet over the slices of butter and lemon on each piece of foil.
4. In a small bowl, mix the lemon pepper, garlic powder, and paprika.; Sprinkle generously over the top of each fish fillet. Like so
5. Pull the two opposite sides of the foil up over the cod, and fold the foil down twice to seal the top to make a pouch. Then flatten and fold the two ends together, twice, to make the foil packets airtight. You want to make sure all of the steam and flavor stays locked inside!
Properly Prep Your Cod
You need to extract as much moisture/water from the fillets as possible using paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. By eliminating excess moisture, youll ensure a; more even cook on the grill. Next, you can let your cod sit in any marinade or seasoning of your choice. And to ensure those flavors are really absorbed into the fish and enhanced during the grilling process, let your cod marinade for at least 30 minutes.
White Wine Garlic Butter Sauce
This simple sauce is best to make right before grilling the fish so you can give all your attention to the fish.
You can add additional flavor like fresh thyme, or a squeeze of grilled lemon for extra flavor.
Also Check: Do Traeger Grills Need Electricity
How Do You Even Know Whether The Fish Is Fresh Or Not
Simple! Just look at its appearance! Fresh fish are usually shiny and moist. Moreover, its eyes are supposed to be clear and its skin should be firm and bounce back when touched.
Another way of knowing whether the fish is fresh is by smelling it. If its fresh, it should either be odorless or smell a bit like a sea/lake. Dont buy a fish with a strong odor!
Wild Caught Cod Recipes And More
At Wild Alaskan Company, we love cooking snacks, appetizers, and meals for any occasion. Our wild and sustainably-caught cod is an amazingly versatile white fish that works in almost anything. Learn more about our convenient, pre-portioned 6 oz Pacific Cod loins and our 6 oz. Chef’s Pack. Getting hungry? Visit our blog and explore delicious recipes you can easily whip at home!
Also Check: How To Keep Rats Away From Grill
Dont Overcook Your Cod
Make a mental note of how long to cook your fish before you even begin. A portion of cod loin should take about 5-10 minutes to cook, but keep an eye on it since every portion is slightly different. The steam generated inside the foil speeds up the cooking time, and youre looking for the fish to flake easily with a fork once its ready.
Choose Your Fish First
Fish is not like any other type of meat. Therefore, before you even get to the cooking part, be very careful when choosing your fish!;
If youre not careful, you might end going home with a dried up or old fish. Therefore, opt for fresh fish instead. You can even inquire when or where that fish was caught from.
Also Check: Can I Sell My Gold Grill
Wild Caught Or Farmed Fish
I grew up in a town that was a one hour drive from the Pacific ocean. It was easy to get fresh fish! Now that I live in Boise I am selective about where I buy fish.
With some fish I will only eat wild caught. Salmon in particular really tastes much better if it is wild caught and the farmed stuff has a really fishy off flavor. I suggest buying fish from a store that has a good fish counter with educated staff.
Fish that has not been frozen usually tastes fresher and has better texture! Using a store with a good fish counter will give you selection and an opportunity to ask questions.
How Do I Cook Fish On A George Foreman Grill
Also Check: How To Grill Burgers On Propane Grill
How Do You Cook Thick Pieces Of Fish
How To Pan Fry Thick Fish Fillets Season the fillet following your chosen recipe, or with a small amount of sea salt and a dash of black pepper. Place the fillet, flesh side down, into a small amount of oil in a hot pan and cook 5-7 minutes over medium heat. Turn the fillet to cook the other side, and baste the top with pan juices to keep it moist.
Make Sure Not To Heat The Grill Too High
Medium-high heat often works, ranging from 400-450 °F . But if the grill gets too hot, your fish may cook too quickly or unevenly, and no one wants burnt cod. Generally speaking with fish, undercooked is better than overcooked, and cooked through with slight charring is the sweet spot.
Clean You Grates Well Once the Grill is Preheated
Once the grill is preheated, its time to clean the grates. Contrary to popular belief, you should clean the grates when theyre hot, not after theyve cooled. Use a stainless-steel brush to remove all debris and bits of food from your last grilling adventure to ensure your cod doesnt stick to the grills surface.
Don’t Miss: How Do I Clean My Grill Grates
How Long To Grill Fish In Foil
These cod foil packets take 12 to 15 minutes to cook over medium-high heat on a closed grill. Cod is generally pretty thin and therefore cooks quickly. If you use another type of fish, you may need more or less cooking time, but generally fish takes 10 to 15 minutes to cook in foil.
I recommend using veggies I included in this recipe or ones that are similarly thin and soft. For example, you could sub asparagus for green beans or use bell peppers. Potatoes and other root vegetables take longer to cook, so they are not the best choices for pairing with fish in a foil packet.
Grilled Cod Recipes We Love
This recipe for Cod Baked in Banana Leaves calls for oven-baked fish, but you can follow the same preparations and then simply exchange the word oven with grill. The intense flavors from the chili peppers, fresh coconut and ginger are perfect for a summer BBQ.
Another option is to turn your grilled cod into a fan favorite that delivers all year long fish tacos. These Grilled Cod Tacos are super easy to make, and the fish marinade is everything you want in a fish taco dish: a little lime juice, jalapeño, a lot of toasted cumin seeds and cilantro.
And few things are better than marinade made from lemon pepper, butter and soy sauce. This Grilled Lemon Pepper Cod is a perfect blend of indulgent flavors and fresh flakey fish, all made possible by the little aluminum foil grill pan you create to help cook your fish.
Read Also: How To Grill Boneless Chicken Breast
What Kind Of Pellets Should I Use
Im really of the semi-unpopular opinion that what pellets you use isnt really going to have that big of an impact on the end results. Maybe slightly on long smokes? But for quick grilling, especially, it just doesnt matter enough to really worry about, and definitely doesnt matter enough to empty a hopper and switch things out.;
We usually fill our hoppers with whatever is handy, and call it good. That tends to be one of the following :
Buy Pellets here!
More Amazing Lingcod Recipes
- Pan-Seared Lingcod;| Pictured below, youll want to grab a pan and whip up this super simple dish. Pair with some wild rice and have a restaurant-quality meal. Works with any firm fleshy whitefish.;
- Crab Stuffed Lingcod;| Stuff your fish with crab and top with a homemade white sauce that will win over anyone. Even if you are not a huge seafood fan, this will impress you on the incredible flavor pairing.
Barbecued Cod With A Cumin And Black Pepper Crust
Barbecued Cod with a Cumin and Black Pepper Crust
- 4 x 175g cod fillets, skinned and boned
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 210ml toasted cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoons sea salt
- 4 tablespoons freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 lemons, quartered
You May Like: Why Are Evo Grills So Expensive
What To Serve With Grilled Cod
- Pasta. Add to the delicious lemon flavors by pairing this fish with a side of Pasta al Limone.
- Salad. Keep things light and fresh by serving a side of Mediterranean Chickpea Salad.
- Vegetables. A side of Cheesy Potato Fritters with Zucchini or Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Garlic would be scrumptious.
How Do You Tell If Baked Cod Is Done
The best way to tell if your fish is done is by testing it with a fork at an angle, at the thickest point, and twist gently. The fish will flake easily when its done and it will lose its translucent or raw appearance. A good rule of thumb is to cook the fish to an internal temperature of 140-145 degrees.
You May Like: What Is The Best Gas Grille
How Long Does It Take To Cook Fish On A Pit Boss
Grilling and searing fish can take anywhere from 8-15 minutes. While smoking over a low and slow setting can take 2-4 hours or more. The time it takes to prepare the fish will depend on the thickness, and how well you like it cooked.
That said, the FoodSafety.gov website recommends seafood and fish be cooked to a safe internal temperature of 145. Cooking the fish properly kills the parasites and bacteria that can cause people to become ill.
Ensure youre using a good meat thermometer to help you monitor the temperature. If you prefer eating your fish raw, you can get the famous smoke ring in about 3 minutes.
Use Aluminum Foil To Protect Your Cod On The Grill
There are a few ways to use foil when grilling your fish, but arguably the best technique from a flavor perspective is to create a pouch by folding the foil around the cod loin and securing the edges so you have an enclosed cooking surface. This foil packet acts like a little flavor bomb, with all the marinade, seasoning and fresh flavors locked up so your fish can really absorb the goodness.
In addition to enhancing and really marrying your fish with the flavor of the marinade, using an aluminum foil packet will also help maintain the consistency and texture of the fish. No using tongs to flip your fish or scrape it off the grill grates, which can lead to premature flaking or even dropping a piece of freshly grilled fish into the flames.
If Youre Feeling Fancy, Banana Leaves Offer the Same Type of Protection
And they also happen to look professional, so you end up with a perfectly cooked, restaurant-worthy presentation. Either way, the foil or banana leaves can help maintain the integrity of your fish fillet and help concentrate the flavors during the cooking process.
Don’t Miss: How Do I Grill Chicken
Can I Cook Eggs On A George Foreman Grill
Fry an egg: A George Foreman grill can easily be used as a griddle. Preheat, spray it with nonstick cooking spray, and cook your eggs like normal. Use the drip tray to prop up the front end of the grill so that the plates arent slanted. That way the eggs wont slide off while cooking.
How Do You Cook Frozen Fish On The Grill
How to Cook Frozen Fish on a Grill Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Remove the frozen fish from its packaging. Lightly grease a sheet of foil with nonstick spray or cooking oil. Lay the fish on the center of the foil, skin-side down if the skin remains. Put the packet on the grill, seam-side up. Remove the fish from the grill and open the packet.
You May Like: Do Weber Gas Grills Ever Go On Sale
Tips For Grilling Cod
- Watch Your Grill Temperature. The best temperature for grilled cod is right around 400 degrees . This will help the outside lightly sear without the inside overcooking.
- Use a Fish Spatula. Using a fish spatula will help you turn and remove the fish without tearing it.
- Oil the Grill. Oiling the grill grates will help keep the fish from sticking. Wait to oil the grates until right before you add the fish.
- Flip the Fish Only ONCE. Only flip your cod one time during the grilling process. Flipping it back over may result in it sticking or breaking apart.
- Use a Thermometer. To ensure that your cod is cooked through, use an instant read thermometer. Fish is done when it reaches 145 degrees F. To avoid overcooking, I typically remove the fish from the grill at 140 degrees F, then cover it on a plate for a few minutes. The carryover cooking fishes the job.
How Long Does It Take To Grill Cod
The general rule of thumb for grilling cod is 4-5 minutes per side, per inch of flesh.
If your cod is cut into thicker steaks, you will likely need about 5-6 minutes per side.
If it is cut into thin fillets like the fish I have photographed here, you will want to aim for around 4 minutes per side directly over high heat.
Read Also: Why Is My Weber Grill Not Lighting
Best Pit Boss Pellets For Fish
One of the primary reasons people invest in a pellet grill is the ability to use different flavored hardwood pellets that give food a flavor unlike the typical gas or charcoal grills.
Choosing the right pellets comes down to preference and personal taste. However, when smoking delicate meat like fish, not all hardwood is created equally. Avoid strong aromas such as Pecan, or Hickory, as they can overpower the fish.
Instead, consider some of the lighter, fruitier hardwood flavors such as Cherry, Alder, or Mesquite.
If you prefer the pellets with powerful aromas, try mixing them with some of the lighter flavored pellets when cooking delicate meats like fish.
More Easy Seafood Recipes
- Traeger Blackened Fish Tacos;| Hello Taco Tuesday! Skip the classic ground beef tacos and whip up this refreshing seafood taco recipe. Blackened fish tacos that will melt in your mouth.
- Easy Traeger Walleye;| This dish is pictured below and another fantastic fish dinner. They dont get a ton of attention but dont underestimate the flavor they showcase. The cream sauce throws this dish over the top.
- Grilled Rockfish;| Such a simple recipe that always provides a guest worthy recipe. This is very simple to make but gives you that restaurant-quality flavor.
Don’t Miss: What To Grill This Weekend
Cant Take The Heat Use Seafood Seasoning
Dont want a spicy seasoning blend, we get it! This blackened seasoning has a bit of heat. But keep in mind: our 3 year old gobbled it up! Hes somewhat sensitive to spice, but didnt seem to be in this case. If you prefer a milder option, weve got you covered. Try our seafood seasoning! Its truly the best blend of flavors: a mix of savory, smoky and aromatic spices that makes for irresistible flavor.
More Grilled Fish Or Seafood
Looking for more grilled fish & seafood recipes outside of this healthy grilled cod? Heres a great place to start:
- Perfect Grilled Salmon or Grilled Tilapia Perfectly tender and flavored with a magic seasoning blend that takes it to new heights.
- Pesto Salmon Basil and salmon are the perfect pair!
- Grilled Fish Tacos Season the tender white fish with fajita seasoning, then top with pico de gallo and creamy sauce.
- Perfect Grilled Shrimp or Grilled Shrimp Skewers Perfectly seasoned and over the top good!
- Cajun Grilled Shrimp or Blackened Shrimp Covered in a homemade spice blend, theyre fast and easy to grill.
- Grilled Tuna Seared on the outside and tender on the inside! Full of savory flavor.
- Grilled Scallops Easy to grill and need minimal seasoning to taste irresistibly tender and savory.
You May Like: How Do You Make Bbq Chicken On The Grill