Recipe Tips And Variations:
- Vegetable skewers: If you want some grilled veggies on the side, make all-veggie kebabs on separate skewers and get them cooking before you start the shrimp. That way youve got perfectly cooked tender vegetables with just the right amount of char, and luscious shrimp that arent tough from being overdone.
- Fresh pineapple: Sometimes I skewer thin slivers of fresh pineapple with the marinated shrimp for a sweet twist on this recipe. Plunk some tortillas right onto the grill and make tacos with creamy Avocado Sauce.
- Grilled shrimp bowls: Serve over rice with cucumber slices, scallions, bean sprouts, and extra green herbs for one amazing summery supper. Also great with a splash of Nuoc Cham.
Free: 5 Secrets To Fast Healthy Dinners
This bbq grilled shrimp skewers recipe takes a quick-cooking protein and elevates it with smoky char its the best way to cook shrimp on the grill! And, they take a handful of basic ingredients and just minutes to cook. Learn my best tips for how to grill shrimp skewers, so they turn out smoky and juicy, not rubbery.
I love to use my grill to make fast and flavorful seafood! Its a delicious cooking method for grilling lobster tails, salmon on the grill, foil packet meals, and so much more and these garlic shrimp skewers will have you running back to the grill again and again.
How To Cook Shrimp Kabobs On The Stove
No outdoor grill and your oven is on the fritz or occupied with other food? No problem! Here are tips to cook shrimp kabobs on the stove.
- Use a stovetop grill pan like this reversible one or this skillet/grill combo.
- You wont have the same smoky flavor that you get from an outdoor grill, but your shrimp will still be ultra tasty.
Also Check: How To Get Grease Stain Off Concrete
How To Make Grilled Shrimp:
- Make the marinade: In a mixing bowl whisk together honey, soy sauce, olive oil, garlic cloves and red pepper flakes if using until well combined.
- Pour marinade over shrimp, rest: Place shrimp in a gallon size resealable bag or a shallow dish. Pour marinade over shrimp, seal bag while removing excess air. Rub marinade over shrimp and transfer to refrigerator and let marinate 30 60 minutes.
- Tip: if using wooden skewers soak in water at least 30 minutes so they dont burn up. While the shrimp is marinating throw them in water if you havent already.
- Heat grill: Preheat a grill over medium-high heat to about 400 degrees.
- Thread shrimp on skewers: Thread shrimp onto skewers running through top and bottom of the shrimp, and fitting about 5 6 on each.
Grilled Garlic Cajun Shrimp Skewers
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
If you havent fired up your grill yet, this grilled Shrimp Skewers recipe is the perfect excuse to start. Shrimp taste best on the barbie somethin about that lightly charred smokiness makes this shrimpaholic very happy.
This grilled shrimp recipe is easy with minimal prep and the cooking time is about 5 minutes. Theres only one word to describe how good the marinade is: Wowza. Brushing on extra marinade at the end ensures awesome flavor with every bite. I just wish we had leftovers!
My husbands cousin, Alex shared this recipe with us and Im so glad he did! Alex, we had delicious shrimp on the menu for two days thanks to you ).
Recommended Reading: How Long Do You Cook Pork Tenderloin On The Grill
How Long Does It Take To Grill Large Shrimp
Due to the fact that shrimp cook so rapidly, it is critical to keep an eye on them to ensure that they do not overcook. Grilling shrimp normally takes around 2-3 minutes each side on a medium-high heat. When the shrimp are done, youll be able to tell because theyll turn pink and opaque.
What Temperature To Grill Shrimp Skewers
Temperature is an essential factor while grilling shrimp. Preheat the grill to a moderate flame that is 450 degrees Fahrenheit. The most accurate warmth to grill is an excellent shrimp. Arrange the prawns directly on a barbecue and cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until hot pink and heated well.
Also Check: Temperature For Grilled Shrimp
How To Make Grilled Shrimp Kabobs
Follow these steps for the best grilled shrimp and vegetable kabobs for your next summer pool party:
Tips For Grilling Shrimp
Read Also: Grilling Pork Tenderloin On Gas Grill
How Do I Know My Shrimp Kebabs Are Ready
I shared this before with my Greek shrimp recipe, but it applies no matter how you cook your shrimp.
Shrimp is cooked when itâs turned from grey and flabby to opaque pink with a bright red tail. And as far as texture, cooked shrimp should be slightly firm in texture with enough crunch with your bite
How To Buy Shrimp
Before we can worry about cooking the shrimp, it is important that we buy shrimp that is as fresh as can be. Going to the grocery store is likely fine, though fish connoisseurs will likely turn their nose up at this option.
Find a local fish market or fishmonger that you can trust and then choose between a domestic shrimp or wild-caught if they have them. Another thing to consider is the rest of your schedule.
If you arent going right home after purchasing your shrimp, make sure that you have an ice chest or cooler to keep them fresh and cool until you get home.
When fresh isnt an option, frozen is perfectly acceptable and wont compromise the taste of your dish. In some cases, its actually preferable to buy frozen shrimp.
When you buy from a market, it can be difficult to tell just how long that fresh shrimp has been sitting there behind the counter. When you buy frozen, you have control over defrosting them and you can cook them as soon as they become more pliable.
In addition to the freshness of the shrimp that you purchase, the size is another important consideration. Shrimp arent universal they can come in many sizes ranging from small to jumbo. Yes, it absolutely matters which one you buy.
Shrimp have different applications at different sizes, and they can cook much differently as well. Depending on how you want to deploy them, the right size of shrimp can make the difference between an even cook and one that causes a litany of issues.
Don’t Miss: Cleaning Char Broil Grill
How To Make The Most Flavorful Shrimp Kabobs
The magic of these easy shrimp kabobs is in the shrimp marinade. Its only five ingredients but packs a wallop of flavor:
- Cool, Creamy Coconut Milk. To make the shrimp extra juicy and balance the heat from magic Ingredient #5.
- Fresh Lime Juiceand Fresh Orange Juice. To turn the shrimp kabobs into summer gold on a skewer.
- Soy Sauce. To provide essential saltiness. I like soy sauce in place of plain-old kosher salt here, because its flavor is more complex and balances well with the sweetness of fruit you may add, like pineapple.
- Tabasco. To be the somethin somethinand give the shrimp kabobs a Cajun edge. Made in the heart of Louisiana , Tabasco adds the right amount of heat to unite the rest of the ingredients, and its spice will cause you to reach for just one more shrimp skewerthree times in a row.
If you are looking to season the shrimp kabobs with a dry spice blend rather than a wet marinade, you can check out my all-purpose Grilled Shrimp Seasoning. It uses simple pantry ingredients like Italian seasoning and cayenne and is another keeper.
What Is Chipotle Powder Or Chipotle Peppers In Adobo
A lot of my recipes inspired by Chipotle or Taco Bell call for either chipotle pepper powder or chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. They can be used interchangeably for taste but the spice powder is a lot more stronger. The one I use is pictured below.
If youd like to use the can which is what I prefer, you can purchase this can from a lot of large supermarkets and stores. I put the whole can of peppers and adobo sauce in a food processor to turn it into a paste and then use it in my marinades. Any leftover paste is transferred into an airtight container with a layer of olive oil on top to keep it fresh for longer.
Recommended Reading: Clean Stainless Steel Bbq Grates
To Broil Shrimp Kabobs
- Preheat the broiler and place the shrimp skewers on an oiled pre-heated baking tray.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes per side, or until the shrimp are no longer grey instead pink and opaque. Theyre ready to flip when the top of the shrimp has turned pink.
The power of your broiler may mean you have to adjust the cooking times. Since this process is so quick, though, I recommend watching them the first time that way, youll know for next time.
How Long To Cook Shrimp On The Grill
Giant shrimp need only five minutes to cook, while large prawns take only six to eight minutes. Heat for two to three minutes on each side, turning once halfway through. It will generally take four to six minutes, based on the number of shrimps you have in the barbecue and the size of your prawns.
It would help if you watched out for the aperture toward the rear of the shrimp, where it took out the vein. Keep your eyes focused on the thickest piece of the prawn , and when the tissue at the fissures foundation becomes murky, the shrimp is prepared.
You May Like: Char Broil Porcelain Grill Grates
What You Need For Barbecue Shrimp
This recipe, unlike the New Orleans BBQ Shrimp , uses barbecue sauce and grills the shrimp for a true bbq experience. Its actually barbecued shrimp. And you wont believe how easy it is.
All you need is jumbo shrimp, I prefer Alaskan or Gulf pink shrimp, taco seasoning, GirlCarnivore Over Easy spice blend, barbecue sauce , limes, and then some fun herby garnishes to keep the flavors bright and fresh.
I paired these with quick chimichurri and fresh citrus for plating and a simple slaw. Elotes and Maque Choux are also great pairings.
Bbq Shrimp Skewers In The Oven
No grill, no problem.
You can make this recipe in an oven by marinating and skewering the shrimp as the recipe calls for. Just line the bbq shrimp on a baking sheet lined with foil and place in an oven preheated to 375 degrees for 7 to 12 minutes, flipping once halfway through cook time.
Want more pork tenderloin inspiration? Try some of my favorite recipes
Read Also: Grilled Pork Chops Internal Temp
How To Make Grill Shrimp
- Purchase fresh prawns on the day you want to grill them for the best outcomes. Shrimp defrost rapidly and can quickly get sour. To make grilling easier, get prawns that are either huge.
- Shrimp can be cooked either with its shells or without the shell on the grill. Before grilling, I prefer to strip the shrimp. Except for the portion that wraps around the shrimps tail, discard the whole shell. By eliminating the shell, the grill prawn marinade will be able to infiltrate the flesh and enhance the flavor of the shrimp.
- Parboil the shrimp by scaling down the back of each stripped shrimp with a sharp, pointed knife. While rinsing the shrimp in chilly water, pull off the rear vein. In enormous or giant shrimp, the vein may be seen.
- Use your favorite marinade to flavor the shrimp.
- For easy grilling, string your shrimp on a stick. You may use a wooden or metal bar, both of which function nicely.
- Now its time to cook the shrimp on the grill.
- When you take the prawns off the barbecue, its time to savor them theyre excellent for a shrimp mixed drink or to combine with your preferred plunging sauce.
What Type Of Shrimp To Use
Shrimp can be found at the grocery store in a few different ways. There is raw, pre-cooked, raw and frozen, deveined, tails on, tails off, etc.
I never use pre-cooked shrimp. There is an obvious difference in taste due to the lack of quality. The shrimp is cooked and then frozen and you have to cook it/warm it up again. This usually overcooks the shrimp. Raw shrimp only takes minutes to make, just buy it raw.
Always look for deveined, thats my preference. The black vein that runs along the back of the shrimp is the digestive intestinal tract. Is this shrimp poop, yes.
You can buy it with the vein and remove it using a sharp paring knife to make a slit along the back and lift out the vein with the tip of the knife.
Buy large shrimp. Baby shrimp are meant to go in things like soups.
Also Check: Does Traeger Use Propane
The Best Shrimp Kabobs Tips
Super easy, these kabobs are going to be new family favorite. Shrimp kabobs are super easy to make and create for the best dinner!
- Shrimp: You can use fresh or frozen shrimp with success. In fact, you do not even have to thaw the shrimp before marinating. The important part will be to make sure it is deveined.
- Skewers: I used metal skewers which are wonderful to just throw in the dishwasher and reuse. If you are using wooden skewers, soaked them in water for about 15-20 minutes to help keep them from burning.
- How do you know Shrimp is done? When the shrimp turns from a gray flabby color and texture to a pink, opaque, firm flesh with a red tail, your shrimp is done. Shrimp cooks fast so keep your eye on it. Do not overcook shrimp, it will become tough and rubbery.
- Vegetables: Your vegetables may not be as done as youd like but you do not want to overcook the shrimp. You can keep your shrimp and vegetables separate on different skewers so you can keep grilling the vegetables if needed.
- Give it space: You do not want to squish your ingredients together on your skewers. Give them space so that they grill evenly and all the way around.
- Variations: Add sausages, mushrooms, eggplant, or other vegetables to mix it up.
- Cook: You can pan cook this on your stovetop on medium-high heat. Cook till the shrimp and vegetables are done.
For The Grilled Shrimp Marinade:
- Olive Oil Use a light olive oil for neutral flavor, or try avocado oil.
- Lemon Juice Fresh lemon juice tastes outstanding in this grilled shrimp skewers marinade, but use bottled if necessary. For extra lemon flavor, feel free to add in the lemon zest, too. If you have limes on hand instead of lemons, feel free to swap the lemon juice for lime juice.
- Garlic Cant make garlic shrimp skewers without it! Mincing fresh garlic tastes the best, but you can use the jarred kind to save time.
- Italian Seasoning Use a pre-made version, or make homemade Italian seasoning. Alternatively, you can chop up some fresh herbs, such as fresh parsley, basil, or thyme.
- Smoked Paprika Regular paprika will work if thats what you have, but smoked paprika adds the best flavor for the grill.
- Sea Salt& Black Pepper
Also Check: Temperature For Grilled Pork Tenderloin
Can You Grill Shrimp Ahead Of Time
Its best to cook these grilled shrimp as soon as you are ready to serve them, after all, cooking shrimp on the grill is quick & easy. If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container and they will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can serve them cold over salad or very gently reheat them in the oven.
How Do You Make Grilled Shrimp
Skewer the shrimp onto bamboo sticks or metal skewers. Then cook on a grill or grill pan until cooked through, opaque and pinkish-orangish in color. They really dont need a lot of time on the grill!
You May Like: Do Pellet Grills Use A Lot Of Electricity