How Long To Grill Lobster Tails
Grilled lobster tails cook for 5-6 minutes flesh side down, followed by 1-6 minutes flesh side up, depending on the size.
TIP: A good rule of thumb for lobster tail grill time is about 60-75 seconds total time per ounce of individual tail. For example, if your lobster tails are 8 ounces each, youll grill them for 480-600 seconds total, which is 8-10 minutes. Out of that total time, 5-6 minutes would be flesh side down and the remaining time would be after flipping.
Tips For The Perfect Lobster
- You can use any type of lobster for this recipe. I typically use Maine lobster, but you can use a warm water spiny lobster if you prefer.
- Lobster tails are done when the shell turns red and the flesh is opaque. Its important not to overcook your lobster, so use both the visual cues and the suggested cook times.
- I recommend serving lobster immediately after it comes off the grill. Lobster can get tough when reheated.
- You can use a charcoal grill, gas grill or an indoor grill pan on the stove top for this recipe.
- Serve your lobster with lemon wedges and fresh parsley for garnish.
- I like to serve my lobster with a variety of side dishes such as grilled vegetables, quinoa salad or roasted potatoes.
- Leftover lobster? Try using it to make lobster mac and cheese.
How To Choose Lobster Tails
First, when choosing lobster tails, make sure that theyre frozen. Dont purchase thawed lobster tails. And keep the lobster frozen until youre ready to cook them. Once they are thawed, they need to be cooked right away.
Generally, there are two types of lobster tails available, warm water and cold water varieties.
The warm water varieties grow in the waters of Florida, the Caribbean, and Latin America. They tend to grow faster and are less expensive than their cold water counterparts. Theyre readily available in most grocery stores. They do have a tendency to be less sweet and have a higher chance of getting mushy during cooking.
The cold water varieties come from North America, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand. They grow slower and therefore are more expensive. They tend to be less widely available in regular grocery stores. Some people, me included, think they have a slightly sweeter flavor.
Given the choice and the budget, I like the cold water varieties, however, Ive also had great grilled warm water varieties. As a matter of fact, the variety used for this recipe is a warm water variety.
When choosing either warm or cold water varieties, make sure that the flesh isnt discolored. No black or yellow spots. Also, if there is any graying walk away. This is an indication that the lobster was dead before processing. Again, dont purchase lobster tails that have been thawed.
Don’t Miss: Grilled Cheese Temperature Griddle
Basting Grilled Lobster Tails
Finish cooking flesh side up, still over direct heat.
6. At this point, its a great idea to baste the lobster with an herb butter mixture.
7. The lobster is done when its internal temperature, checked by an instant-read thermometer, reaches 135°F.
There you have it — a seafood extravaganza!
Cooking The Lobsters Claws
The lobster claws will take more time to cook than the lobster body and tail meat, since the shells tend to be a little thicker. Remove the claws from the carapace with a twisting motion. Next blanch the claws and finish cooking on the grill. Famed lobster cooker Jasper White keeps the claws intact and covers them with a roasting pans or pie tins so the whole lobster cooks evenly.
Recommended Reading: Bone In Pork Chops On Gas Grill
Do You Thaw Lobster Tails Before Grilling
Let the frozen lobster thaw in the refrigerator 24 hours before cooking. Cooking unthawed tails will result in tough meat. Lobster will thaw faster if placed in a plastic bag and immersed in water while in the refrigerator. After thawing, the lobster tails can be boiled, steamed, baked, broiled, or grilled.
Whats The Best Way To Butterfly Lobster Tails For Grilling
This method is great for the hotter cooking methods as it allows the tail meat to absorb the complementary smoky tastes from grilling. Butterfly lobster tails also make it easy to marinade in advance, and baste while cooking.
Interested in the other ways to prepare lobster? Read our article on the different ways to cook and prepare lobster.
Don’t Miss: Traeger Temp For Steak
Open The Lobster Like A Book
3. The remaining soft membrane will keep the sections intact while exposing the meat.
4. Lobster is grilled over direct medium heat. Rub the flesh with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
5. Grill flesh side down for approximately 5-7 minutes, then flip. Figure another 4-5 minutes after you flip the tail. I am using 6-8 oz. tails here.
How Long Do You Steam Lobster For
Bring the water to a boil over high heat. Add two lobsters, more if the pot is large enough, then cover the pot and return the water to a boil. Decrease the heat to medium or medium-low to maintain a vigorous simmer and steam the lobsters until they turn bright red, 13 to 15 minutes.
Recommended Reading: Best Way To Clean Stainless Steel Grill Grates
Grilling 4 Oz Lobster Tails
How To Grill 4 Oz Lobster Tails? If you see lobster tails in the seafood case, grab a few for a delicious meal. In this article, you will find out how to grill 4 oz lobster tails. Grilling a lobster tail is pretty simple.
Lobster Tails are widely eaten all around the world. Whether it be chicken gizzard steak, beef steak, mutton steak or even pork. Steaks are a nutritious food full of protein and other nutrients. In addition to this, it is raw form of meat hence, it has many added minerals and vitamins too. Apart from just being grilled, steaks are served with steamed vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, and many other vegetables too.
Grill is one of the safest options to grill the meat because it allows controlled grill opportunity and prevents the burning of food as well. Through Grill, one can easily maintain the heat transfer from the flame to the food. In addition to this, you can also control the temperature and automatic burning of coal. This indirectly controls the flame which is reaching the food.
To grill Lobster Tail, you can marinate the chicken gizzard overnight. If not over night than you can marinate the lobster tail 2 to 3 hours before grilling and freeze it. Marinating the lobster tail adds up to the flavour of lobster tail and enhances the juiciness too. After marinating you can place the lobster tail on the Grill.
It only takes a grill, some skewers, and a little butter to make this. Read on to find out the recipe in detail.
How To Find The Perfect Tails
The easiest way to get optimal tails is to buy them prepackaged, frozen, and grill-ready. Then, Its up to you to defrost, season, and cook them. As for the ideal size, well, its a matter of personal preference. The biggest that youll find goes between 16 to 20 oz and is considered jumbo. Smaller pieces are usually around 6 or 7 oz. The best place to get the freshest lobster is from LobsterAnywhere.com where you can get the best Maine lobster delivered directly to your front door.
Don’t Miss: Pit Boss Comparison Chart
Ners That Go Well With Lobster Tail On The Smoker Grill
As you become more comfortable learning how to cook lobster tails on the BBQ, explore the wide world of side dishes to go along with this fantastic recipe. Some cooks swear by hearty companions like homemade smoked mac and cheese. Believe it or not, starchy and carb-heavy sidekicks do very well alongside grilled lobster tail.
Want to serve up something on the lighter yet still flavorful side? A huge green salad with fresh vegetables and maybe fruits, too promises to be a palate pleaser. You can also grill up some vegetables to accompany the overall meal and provide earthy tastes to go along with hints of the sea.
As a final note, always have some bread on hand. Bread makes the world go round. Feel free to butter and grill it slightly before serving.
The Best Way To Cook Lobster Tail On Grill Like A Pro
You love the tasty grilled lobster tail at the five-star restaurant and plan to cook this dish at home? Are there any secret recipes for this dish? Is it hard to prepare and cook?
We will answer all of your concerns in this post, along with a detailed cooking guideline. Wait no more! Read on to discover the best way to cook lobster tail on grill!
Read Also: Grilled Pork Tenderloin Internal Temperature
How Do You Grill Lobster At Home
Place your lobster halves on the grill with the shells facing down, then baste liberally with seasoned butter or olive oil. Flip those lobsters flesh side down and grill for 5-6 minutes. Step six: Flip lobsters so the shell side is down and baste again with seasoned butter or olive oil. Grill 4-5 minutes.
More About Charcoal Grilled Lobster Tail Recipes
HOW TO GRILL LOBSTER TAILS: 14 STEPS – WIKIHOW
FromUser Interaction CountCategory
BEST GRILLED LOBSTER TAIL RECIPE – HOW TO MAKE GRILLED …
- In a small bowl, whisk together melted butter, lemon juice, zest, chives, parsley, garlic, and salt.
THE VERY BEST GRILLED LOBSTER TAIL RECIPE – THE SUBURBAN …
- Add the lobster tails to the water and boil for 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and allow to cool enough to handle.
HOW TO GRILL LOBSTER TAIL | KINGSFORD | KINGSFORD®
FromEstimated Reading Time
GRILLED LOBSTER TAIL – OVER THE FIRE COOKING
GRILLED LOBSTER TAILS RECIPE | SIDECHEF
- Prepare charcoal grill or smoker for indirect cooking . Temperature should be 375 degrees F .
- Split Lobster Tail in half length-wise and season with Kosher Salt , Freshly Ground Black Pepper , and Olive Oil .
- Add Garlic , Fresh Parsley , Lemon , juice of Lemon , and Crushed Red Pepper Flakes to butter and simmer for 5 minutes.
GRILLED LOBSTER TAIL – DINNER AT THE ZOO
- Use kitchen shears to cut down the top of each lobster tail. Use a sharp knife to slice down the cut area, all the way through the flesh of the lobster, but not through the bottom shell.
- Use your hands to flatten each tail. Place a wooden or metal skewer through the lobster meat in each tail.
HOW TO GRILL LOBSTER TAILS | STEP-BY-STEP GRILLING …
Grilling Tips For The Most Delicious Lobster Tails
To achieve maximum flavor, perfect tenderness, and beautiful presentation, follow these tips:
- Purchase your lobster tails from a trusted supplier. Fresh lobster might not be accessible to everyone, but frozen tails are still VERY delicious, especially if grilled properly! For the best results, though, buy from a source that sells good quality lobster.
- Keep your eyes on the grill. Watch the heat and make sure your lobster tails are cooking evenly on all sides. Every grill has colder and hotter spots, so be aware of where these positions are while cooking.
- Use a skewer to prevent curling. If you dont want your lobster tails to curl up on the grill, stick a skewer through them before cooking so they stay in place.
- Use a thermometer. Its difficult to tell if your lobster is underdone or overdone, especially if youre working with a large cut of meat. If your thermometer registers 135 degrees Fahrenheit at the thickest part, though, then youll immediately know its done! If you have a fear of RUBBERY, overcooked lobster, this is a great tool to have.
- Remember that seasonings and sauces TRANSFORM the dish. Dont forget your oil, butter, salt, pepper, and aromaticsthese will turn a bland-tasting lobster into a powerful punch of flavor.
Cut The Lobster Tail Flesh To Grill 4 Oz Lobster Tails
Use a sharp chefs knife to cut along the line you made with the kitchen shears. Start at the tip of the tail and cut through the lobster flesh along the cut line. Make sure not to cut through the flesh all the way so that the tail separates. You should now have a hinge-style lobster tail after cutting.
Directions Grilled Lobster Tails At Home
Time needed: 20 minutes.
If you can light a grill, you can grill lobster tails. Our simple recipe will walk you through grilling frozen lobster tails butterfly style. Be careful! You do not want to overpower the sweet, delicate flavor of the lobster meat.
Be sure your lobster tails are fully defrosted. Its best to defrost overnight in the refrigerator.
Prior to starting the grill, pour a small amount of vegetable oil on a paper towel and lightly coat the grill rack . Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal or gas grill. As the grill heats, prepare lobster tails.
Set each lobster tail on a cutting board with the translucent membrane down, curve shell facing up. With kitchen shears or a heavy knife, cut through the curved shell and meat, leaving the membrane intact. Open the tail gently like a book so its hinged in the center.
Use about 1 teaspoon of olive oil for each lobster tail rub onto the cut surfaces of the lobster meat, and season to taste with salt and pepper. The olive oil keeps the lobster from drying out on the grill.
Place lobster tails on the grill, meat-side up. Grill tails with grill lid closed, until the meat is opaque, about 6-8 minutes, turning once. Be careful not to overcook!
Squeeze fresh sliced lemon half over lobster and drizzle and serve with melted unsalted butter. Try pairing grilled lobster with a nice steak or fresh shrimp!
How To Prepare Lobster Tail
Start by choosing lobster tails that are similar in size so that they cook at the same rate. Use sharp kitchen shears to cut down the top of each tail. Place a knife into the cut you made, then cut through the lobster flesh, stopping when you hit the bottom shell. Use your hands to flatten the cut lobster tail. Place a wood or metal skewer through the lobster meat, which will keep it from curling up as it cooks. This cutting technique will allow for the lobster meat to make direct contact with the grill, which gives it more of that great smoky flavor.
Read Also: Best Temp For Pork Chops On Grill
Grilling Frozen Lobster Tails At Home
Memorial Day marks grilling seasons opening day here in the Northeast. Whats better than dogs and burgers on the grill? You guessed itMaine lobster!
One of the best things to kick off the grilling season is to learn how to grill lobster tails at home. Because summer and lobster go hand in hand or should we, say claw in claw.
In this quick grilling guide, well show you
- The fundamentalcant skip thesesteps of grilling lobsters
- The 4 most common lobster grilling FAQs
- Lobster grilling recipes we live by
And more! Take the plunge and discover how deliciously simple it is to grill lobster tails at home.
Grilling lobster tails is a snap. The beauty of grilling lobster tails is that they are more convenient than working with pinching and snapping crustaceans. Grilling lobster takes about the same prep time as the conventional boiling and steaming methods, but it can take the tail in a whole new direction. The grill will imbue the smoky flavors of the coals and any marinades or butters. Barbecue lobster has a nice charred, somewhat smoky flavor that is difficult to match.
To Clean Your Grill: Turn the heat up to high, close the grill and in 10 minutes turn off the grill and scrape clean.
Grilling Lobster Tails: Perfect For Holidays And Special Occasions
Plenty of people choose turkey, ham and even gorgeous pork roasts or racks of lamb as the main entree for special festivities. While those are all fine to cook and share, we encourage you to surprise your hungry guests with some grilled lobster tails.
Our video talks in depth about how to grill lobster tails evenly.
Read Also: Old Weber Genesis Grill Models
What Is The Best Way To Cook Lobster Tail On Grill
Confused about what makes the best grilled lobster tail dish? Well, the result depends a lot on the type of grill you use. There are many types of grills that you can use to cook lobster tails, and the choice will depend on your taste and demand.
Weve rounded up three of the best options for cooking lobster tails on the grill for you:
- Using pellet grill
- Using electric grill
- Using charcoal grill
What is the difference between these approaches? If you have no ideas, lets dive deeper into each!