The Different Stainless Steel Grades
As I stated above, not all types of stainless steel are created equally. Some grades of stainless steel are more corrosion resistant than others, however, they are also typically more expensive to produce. Various different grades of stainless steel are found in/on pellet grills.
For instance, a full stainless steel pellet grill will often use a higher grade of stainless on the outside compared to the internal components to keep the cost down. Ive included the video below from the BBQGuys which does a good job of explaining the different grades of stainless steel found on grills.
304 and 430 are the two most common grades of stainless steel found on pellet grills: Video BBQGuys.com
How To Prevent Stainless Steel Grill From Rusting
Depending on the composition of your steel, you may still need to take steps to stop it from rusting.
To prevent your stainless steel grill from corroding or rusting, you can take some simple steps:
- Keep it clean: Stainless steel is easy to clean if you keep up on maintenance. Make sure to clean your grill after each use to prevent any build-up of dirt, grease, or food particles.
- Apply a sealant: Applying a sealant to your stainless steel grill can help keep out moisture and protect it from the elements. Look for a sealant that is specifically designed for stainless steel cooking devices.
- Store it in a dry place: Make sure your grill is stored in a dry place when not in use. Excess moisture can cause rusting and corrosion.
- Dont use harsh detergents: Use a mild detergent to clean your grill. Harsh chemicals can cause corrosion, so be careful when choosing the right cleaner for stainless steel grills.
Pgs Legacy Series Are Industry
The decision to select a quality stainless steel propane grill is one aficionado never regret. They look great on your deck or patio and deliver years of unmatched flavorful meals. The details about which is the best outdoor barbecue for your growing needs may seem unwieldy. Good advice may be to remember these key takeaways.
- While stainless steel is essential, Type 304 stainless steel is generally superior to others.
- Gas grills that are through-and-through stainless steel stand at the top of the food chain.
- A portable propane grill is usually mounted on a cart, but a propane grill on a pedestal can be moved if needed.
- BTUs, cooking space, warming racks, and even heat distribution are crucial.
- Accessories such as the infrared rotisserie burner are game-changers.
If you are thinking about upgrading to a top-rated stainless steel grill, consider comparing the Legacy models and the wide range of accessories.
Want more information? Have a question? Contact us today, and we will be happy to help!
Don’t Miss: My Traeger Says Ler
Cuisinart 306 Best Small Stainless Steel
This little model from Cuisinart embodies everything a tabletop grill should be: easy to carry, powerful, and capable of cooking enough food for a small gathering. Its also made of all stainless steel and looks beautiful.
The best thing about this product is that it is large enough for small parties and has reliable cooking.
The 306 features two stainless steel burners with a cooking power of 20,000 BTUs on a 276 square inch cooking grid. The porcelain-coated cast iron cooking grate transfers heat evenly and reliably across the grill surface, and the twist-start ignition makes it as easy to start as a large five-burner grill.
A thermometer on the lid allows you to monitor the condition of your food. The lid also has a double-layered steel construction that keeps the heat in place even after opening.
An optional standing base is as sleek and portable as the grill itself for those who are not comfortable with tabletop grilling. We also recommend it for tailgating and boating, as it fits neatly in the trunk and is easy to clean up afterward.
Why love this grill?
- It is easy to assemble.
- The grill has a twist-start auto-igniter.
- It has a construction of 304 stainless steel.
- The grill has an integrated temperature gauge.
- Its lightweight and easy to carry.
What are some cons?
What Is The Best Grill Grate Material
Cooking grates are an essential part of your bbq grill, and whether it is a gas grill, charcoal grill or electric grill you will need grates. Simple. They are usually already provided with your grilling unit and you probably considered the grates material while choosing your bbq, but did you dig further into what types of grill grate materials are there? And which one is the best grill grate material ?
You landed on the perfect place to check out all of this, and dont worry, most likely the grates on your grill can be changed in case you decide to opt for a new material, but hopefully you already have the one that best suits your needs.
First of all, what are the main cooking grates materials available? There are three main ones: stainless steel, cast iron and porcelain . The likelihood of you having already one of this is pretty high. Even if they look similar, and the differences might not be easily noticed by somebody whos not an expert, there are key differentiating points which play in favour of one material or the other. You mainly need to be looking at the built, the longevity and the maintenance.
Lets go together through these materials:
Don’t Miss: Best Way To Clean Infrared Grill
Maintaining Your Stainless Grill
It is always best to make sure you are staying on top of grill maintenance by cleaning everything from top to bottom.
Before you clean, make sure to disconnect the gas or unplug the electricity for safety.
The process of cleaning your stainless grill is as follows:
Step One: Clean The Grill Grates
Clean the propane grill grates by first scraping excess fat and debris with a grill brush.
The best brushes will have steel bristles that can easily scrape through thick fat and anything else stuck on them. After this, wipe each of the grills down with warm water.
Step Two: Clean The Burners
You next want to remove the burner covers and clean them the same way you cleaned the grates. Next, lightly brush the burner tubes making sure not to apply too much pressure. Once you’re done, clean up your brush using these tips and tricks.
Step Three:Clean The Grease Tray
Remove the grease tray and clean it thoroughly with dish soap and water. Its always best to dispose of grease properly. After this, put everything back together, and your grill is good to go.
Vs 316 Stainless Steel
For a material to be considered stainless steel, at least 10.5% of the make-up must be chromium. Additional alloys typically include nickel, titanium, aluminum, copper, nitrogen, phosphorous, selenium and molybdenum. The key difference between the 304 and the 316L is the addition of molybdenum in the 316L. It is the molybdenum that enhances corrosion resistance in environments rich in salt air and chloride giving 316L the moniker of marine grade stainless steel.
How Can You Tell the Difference Between 304 and 316?
Often, you need a material test report of the material to confirm if it is 304 or 316 as it can be visibly challenging to tell the difference.
You May Like: How To Convert Gas Grill To Natural Gas
How To Prevent Food From Sticking To Your Grates
Its disappointing when the delicious crust that you seared into the food gets stuck on the grates. As you flip your meat, the perfectly browned grill marks disappear and drop into the fire.
Cleaning the grates properly can prevent this from happening. So can the following techniques for preparing and cooking the food.
Best Stainless Steel Grills Of All Times Quick Look
Best Stainless Steel Natural Gas Grill: Weber Summit S-470
- This barbecue is a Natural Gas unit and you must have Natural Gas plumbed out to your patio or deck to be able to use this grill If you do not have Natural Gas plumbed, please look at our selection of Propane barbecues
- Front-mounted controls 4 stainless-steel burners Snap-Jet individual burner ignition system. Battery type-AAA, D. Batteries-6
- Side burner, Sear Station burner, smoker burner, and rear-mounted infrared rotisserie burner. 0.3 inches diameter stainless steel rod cooking grates
- Enclosed cart thermometer 2 work areas Grill Out light 6 tool hooks 10-foot flexible hose included 9 millimeter diameter stainless steel cooking grates
- Measures 30 inches long by 66 inches wide by 57 inches high 5-year limited warranty. Fuel type-Natural Gas
Napoleon PRO500RSIBPSS Best 304 Stainless Steel Gas Grills
- 80, 000 BTU’s, 4 Stainless Steel main burners, 900 in² total cooking area
- Dimensions: 66.50″ W x 25.50″ D x 51.75″ H | Cooking Area: 17.75 x 28 in
- Led Spectrum night light control knobs and safety feature
- Lift ease roll top lid. double doors for storage and easy roll locking casters
- Infrared rear rotisserie burner
Best Stainless Steel Grill Under 1000: Char-Broil 463375919 Performance
Read Also: Where Are Pit Boss Grills Manufactured
Cast Iron Grill Grate
Cast iron is exceptionally sturdy and lasting owing to its significant carbon content. The alloy, however, is frail and corrodes swiftly.
Cast iron grill grates are classified into two categories. The first is cast-iron grates that have an uncoated surface. The texture of this type is close to that of our normal cast iron skillet. However, it is flabby and permeable due to the lack of a coat. As a result, we must regularly grease cast-iron grates to prevent the unprotected iron from the moisture that causes corrosion.
The second variety of cast iron grates is the one coated with porcelain enamel, such as Weber Porcelain-Enameled Cast-Iron Cooking Grates. It has a glossy and smooth finish. Meat is less likely to adhere to this one, making clean-up a piece of cake. On the other hand, excessive scrubbing and washing might scratch the surface and gradually wear it out.
What Are The Pros And Cons Of Cast
- Retain heat well Cooking on cast-iron combines the benefits of stovetop cooking on a cast-iron pan with outdoor grilling. Youll get a good sear where the grates touch the meat, and youll get great heat transfer. This helps you cook your food thoroughly when your charcoal is starting to die down.
- Transfer heat directly Food thats touching the surface of the grates will be well-seared. This is ideal for foods that only have to cook for a short amount of time but benefit from a darker outer layer.
- Last for decades With proper care, your cast-iron grill grates may never have to be replaced.
- Heavy Cast-iron grates are extremely heavy. This makes them cumbersome to remove to shift around the charcoal beneath them. You may need a special tool to lift and replace the grate on the grill.
- Rust quickly An uncoated cast iron grate can rust quickly when exposed to the elements. Even if the grate is inside your grill, it can oxidize in humid weather. If youre not using it for a while, bring it inside.
- Take more effort to clean You have to take the extra step of seasoning the grates periodically to maintain the finish.
Don’t Miss: Why Did Mcdonald’s Get Rid Of Chicken Tenders
Best Stainless Steel Grills
Stainless steel grills often come at a higher price than lower price generic charcoal smokers. The last thing you want is to spend money on something that will break down a year after you buy it. Thats why weve tested and reviewed the best stainless steel grill models to help you avoid the duds.
Weber 44010001 Spirit Ii E
We start off this list of stainless steel grills with this exclusive model that runs efficiently on liquid propane. It runs equally well on natural gas and can save you a lot of money in the long run. The liquid propane grill has a convenient gas tank thats more easily accessible than most models.
To make your job even easier, this model is equipped with a fuel gauge that tells you exactly when it needs to be refilled. No longer do you have to worry about excess gas costs when you have this grill at your disposal. Some users even say that this stainless steel grill saves more money than it actually costs.
This propane grill also comes with some exceptional features. Its equipped with a Gs4 high-performance grilling system that helps you make more than tempting steak. This high-performance grilling system consists of 4 different components, each with its individual purpose.
The infinity ignition system makes sure the grill ignites instantaneously every time. On the other hand, the grill has immensely powerful burners that cook the food thoroughly. Due to this feature, undercooked meals will become a thing of the past. The grill also comes with a flavorizer that gives the meat some added flavor.
You can also cook food on the side burner if your primary burners are occupied. This is a reasonably priced grilling machine thats known for its versatility.
Breville Bgr820xl Best Electric
- Cooking Surface: 260 square inches
- Power Source: Electric
- Dimensions: 15 x 6.5 x 16 in
Breville BGR820XL is one of the best electric stainless steel grills that you can get anywhere thanks to an innovative and high-performing design.
The design allows it to open up to create a BBQ mode which not only increases the cooking surface but also provides both griddle and grill cooking areas.
This grill uses some removable non-stick plates and drip tray which are dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. It has height control and plate tilt for more efficient and easier cooking.
Also, it has some easy to use controls for setting the time and adjusting the temperatures and a backlit LCD that adds to the convenience of the grill.
The relatively shorter cord is not a dealbreaker as it is still long enough for easy indoor use and the non-stick surface will only require a little more care to make it last relatively longer.
- Power Source: Gas
- Dimensions: 29 x 59 x 48 in
The high-performing stainless steel burners on this gas grill are designed to make grilling a faster and easier process. It also includes flavorizer bars that will give your food that smoky flavor.
With this grill, you will get up to 55,500 BTUs and 669 square inches of cooking space which is the second larger in our stainless steel grill review.
Also, this grill uses some stainless steel grates to provide excellent heat distribution and retention for an even better grilling experience.
American Muscle Grill Amg54 54 Stainless Steel 8 Burner Built
If you need an extremely heavy-duty grill that can handle huge parties or a massive number of customers, this American Muscle grill is just what you need.
With eight burners, this grill gives you a whopping 1,687 square inches of grilling surface. Each burner generates 22,000 BTU of heat and is constructed of 14 gauge 304 stainless steel, giving you the toughest performance when you need it.
The thing we loved the most when we tested this product out is the burn-it-all feature. It has a unique Multi-Fuel Tray that allows grilling with any combination of solid fuels.
Whether you want to cook with charcoal, wood chunks, pellets, natural gas, or propane, this grill has no problem with using it all. And with the reversible 9 Gauge V-shaped grates, its one of the most versatile grills you can get.
This grill also has a bunch of other features, including a rotisserie kit, interior, and exterior lighting, and a reliable flame thrower valve ignition.
Also Check: Cooking Steaks On Traeger Grill
Lion Premium Grills L75623 32
Why youll love it:
This Lion grill is all right. And thats kind of the issue for the ridiculous price tag theyve slapped on this grill, I expect a lot more than all right.
Everything about it is mediocre. 647 square inches of cooking area is pretty good, but nothing special. The four 15, 000 BTUh burners and a 15, 000 BTUh sear station are nice to have, but you can find those things on any high end grill.
The construction is solid 304 stainless steel, which is greatbut all the grills on this list have that going for them.
Everything about this grill is quality, to be sure. The wheels are great, roll well, and lock in place tight. The under cart storage is nice, and keeps your propane tank out of the way. I like the side tables.
- Good 15, 000 BTUh burner.
- Useful side tables.
What we didnt like
- Priced far beyond the value it provides outperformed by a lot of products in the same price range.
But for the same price as this, I could have the Napoleon above, or for a little more, the Weber Genesis.
There is nothing about this grill that recommends it over these options which either offer the same performance and are much cheaper or cost the same or almost the same and blow this grill out of the water.
Its a bit of a shame at a much lower price point this would be a good grill.
The Ultimate Stainless Steel Grill Buyers Guide
There are some crucial factors you need to consider when buying a stainless steel grill.
I always check these five points before investigating further details of a product. They help me to narrow down the wide range of options on offer.
Read Also: Gas Grill Chicken Breasts
Here Is A List Of Things To Consider:
As many stainless steel grills as possible should be used.
A stainless steel grill that is inexpensive is not as important as one that is quality. Ceramic and stainless steel are commonly used in key words.
A ceramic mechanism, on the other hand, is more prone to losing its taste easily and breaking.
A ceramic bowl tends to hold its flavor better than stainless steel or carbon steel due to its consistency and durability. A high risk of rust is also present.
The strength and weakness of a material can be taken into consideration when selecting it.