How To Use Chicken Rub
This chicken rub is just as easy to use as it is to mix together. But there is one key and crucial step and that is the first one: Pull some of the dry chicken rub out of the whole mixture before you apply it the chicken. You dont want to rub the chicken with it, and then dip your raw chicken contaminated hand into the full mixture. No need to grow a lot of bacteria in your spice mix all summer.
For the chicken drumsticks you see pictured, you are going to want to put them on a 350 degree grill over indirect heat and grill for about 40 minutes, flipping half way. Cook until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
After you cook your chicken, you can eat it as is, or you can smoother it with BBQ sauce. I would recommend using bone in chicken with this recipe, as it holds its moisture much better during grilling.
Please note: Many recipes call for you to let the chicken sit, after being rubbed any where from 30 minutes to 12 hours. I am too impatient for that, so I threw them on the grill immediately and they were delicious.
Perfect Low Carb And Keto Chicken Recipe
Of course, chicken thighs on their own are a great low carb, keto, and paleo food. Adding the white barbecue sauce, with 34.2 grams of fat, 2.9 grams of net carbs, and 7.3 grams of protein, this is a perfect keto chicken recipe!
Want more low carb and easy keto grilling recipes? Check out Quick and Easy Low Carb and Keto Grilling Recipes,
The Spices Youll Need
Keep in mind that this really is just a basic guideline and you can sub in your favorites, but I have been loving this mix just as is!
- Dried Thyme I usually use dried, but you can use fresh if you have it. If using fresh, youll want to use 3 tablespoons instead of 1.
- Dried Oregano The same as the thyme above if subbing in fresh, use 3 tablespoons. I would roughly chop it, as well.
- Ground Cumin This brings a smoky flavor that is a must for me!
- Paprika I have been a smoked paprika addict lately, so I will sometimes use smoked paprika instead of plain paprika. But both are delicious!
- Onion Powder This gives a lot of flavor.
- Salt I use kosher salt not table salt.
- Pepper I like freshly ground pepper, but regular pepper will work here, especially if you arent using all of the seasoning and saving some for later.
Recommended Reading: Moe’s Southwest Grill Location
Safe Internal Temperature For Chicken:
The safe internal temperature for chicken is 165° Fahrenheit and the best way to check for doneness is with an instant read thermometer, however, you dont necessarily want the grilled chicken to reach 165° while youre still grilling because even after your remove it from the grill, the meat continues to cook. I usually take it off the heat about 5° shy of doneness.
The Ultimate Dry Rub For Chicken
We dont say this lightly, but this dry rub for chicken is THE ultimate dry rub. Its great on chicken legs, thighs, wings, breasts and more. Were already planning to try it on slow-roasted pork ribs this weekend, so no need to limit yourself to just poultry for this rub either.
But isnt it time-consuming to make your own dry rub?! We get this question all the time, and our answer is: it doesnt have to be! We created this dry rub for chicken with ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry, and what we really love about making our own dry rub at home is that there are NO additives!
Recommended Reading: How To Grill Chicken Thighs
The Best Dry Rubs For Chicken
To tell you have been excited about this post is an understatement. I honestly, dont have anything like it on my website. But, as I got to thinking about fun new posts for you guys I thought of one of the most popular recipes on JHE, its my Grilled Chicken with a homemade Spice Rub.
The reason people love it so much is because:
Today I am giving you not only ONE but FIVE dynamite dry rub recipes for chicken, but they can also be used on other things like veggies, seafood and some beef.
Lets get started shall we.
How To Make This Chicken Rub
Using ingredients you likely already have in your pantry, you can make this delicious chicken seasoning in 5 minutes or less. The ingredients you will be using are:
- Brown Sugar adds a hint of sweetness and caramelizes great on the grill.
- Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Coarse Sea Salt, and Fresh Ground Pepper the perfect spice combination that compliments any cut of chicken.
- Dried Parsley and Rosemary flakes provides a fresh, earthy flavor to the chicken.
- Ground Cumin an earthy flavor and aroma with a bit of sweetness.
- Ground Mustard provides a tangy heat.
- Smoked Paprika adds just enough heat and gives the chicken a great color.
To make this chicken rub, all you need to do is combine all of the ingredients into a bowl or jar and whisk them together until well combined.
Also Check: How To Make Grilled Cheese Microwave
Ingredients For Pork Rub
Heres what youll need to pull out of the pantry prior to mixing this sweet rub. Only 8 ingredients stand between you and the best pork rub in the history of BBQ .
Quick Note: This recipe calls for smoked paprika. This is a pretty big deal and adds quite a bit of flavor to the rub. There are a TON of varieties of paprika at all different price points, but for the best flavor, I always choose smoked paprika that is a rich red color. Sometimes paprika will also be labeled hot or sweet, you can pick the spice level you prefer! If its not labeled with anything but paprika it is likely mild and pretty bland and wont add anything to your spice mixture other than color.
How To Grill Chicken Breast
Read Also: How To Grill Corn On The Grill
Bbq Dry Rub For Chicken
Before the summer even officially arrives, we have consumed our fair share of BBQ Chicken dinners to rival what a normal human would eat the whole summer. We LOVE good BBQ here and have worked on perfecting our grilled BBQ chicken for YEARS but it all comes down to one secret..the BEST Dry Rub for chicken ever made.
I started adding a dry rub to my chicken years ago just by chance because I was totally out of barbecue sauce. I was desperate to add some epic flavor to my chicken and since I already love dry rub ribs I thought my rib rub would work well on my chicken, too! And BOY was I right!
Loud, shout from the rooftop flavor that permeated deep into the meat leaving us with tender, juicy chicken that was a total game changer. BUT my husband loves a messy barbecue sauced chicken and sowe slathered that on our dry rub chicken, too.
Its not a bad thing.trust me, just do it.
The Best Part: Serving What Goes With Bbq Chicken:
When it comes to side dishes for grilled barbecue chicken, I like to keep things super classic. A few of my faves:
- Ready-Made Classic Potato Salad, Coleslaw, & Macaroni Salad are all available at ALDI my favorite summertime shortcut!
- Pasta salad Pure summertime food! Try this Sundried Tomato Pasta Salad or this Creamy Southwest Pasta Salad theyre both always a hit.
- Grilled veggies No summer plate is complete without some grilled veggies. Grill up some corn on the cob, peppers & onions, or sweet potatoes!
- Panzanella Another one of my summertime favorites. This recipe is perfect since youll already have the grill fired up for your BBQ chicken.
My ideal plate? A Grilled BBQ Chicken Bowl! Dice up your chicken & serve it over greens & quinoa, with grilled veggies, a little sharp cheddar, & some guac for good measure. Weeknight dinner perfection!
I cant wait for you to try this Grilled Barbecue Chicken recipe. Its so classic, totally easy, & Im certain that itll be a staple at your house once you master it this summer!
If you do give it a try, be sure to let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag on . I LOVE hearing about & seeing your PWWB creations! Happy cooking!
- Total Time:12 hours
- Yield:serves 6-8 1x
- Category:Main Dishes, Chicken Recipes
- Method:Grilling & Smoking
for the grilled BBQ chicken dry rub:
Recommended Reading: How To Clean My Char Broil Grill
Creating This Bbq Chicken Rub
Summer is BBQ season for us. Kevin even commented last night that we hadnt used the oven for a main course in a while.
I realized how true that is , but also that it is totally normal for me to cook outside more often than not during this time of year for a couple of reasons.
Im not sure which reason is the most important or driving factor:
That I dont want to put extra heat in the house by turning the oven on when it already seems like the air conditioner is running nonstop.
Or that with summer recipes to cook like ribs, brisket, or turkey, burgers, grilled marinated steaks or brats, and grilled chicken there really isnt much space for popping a casserole or a roast in the oven.
Hot casseroles dont even really sound that good to me this time of year anyway. Weve been eating like that all summer. Often, Ill even cook our veggies on the grill. More than once Ive made garlic bread on the grill.
Anything I can do to not turn the oven on!
This post may include affiliate links. As an and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
How And When To Season Chicken
We like to season our meat the night before we grill or smoke, whether it is chicken, pork, or beef. Adding the dry rub gives time for the salt and other flavors to incorporate into the meat. But you can also add seasoning just before you are cooking, it just wont have the time to have slowly penetrate into the meat as a dry brine.
Don’t Miss: Where Can I Find My Weber Grill Model Number
Tasty Notes From Spicerally
- You can pick one of these homemade grilled chicken dry rub recipes to try with your next meat grilling.
- Feel free to adjust the spiciness by adjusting the amount of chili powders.
- After use, store the leftover rub mixture in an air-tight glass container until next time.
- Generally, one tablespoon of dry rub is used for one pound of chicken. But, you can always use more or less depending on your taste preferences.
Flying Swine Bbq Rub Set 5 X 11oz Shakers
- EASY TO USE: We’ve created this grill seasoning so you can use it right out of the shaker! You can also mix our dry rub seasoning with water to create an injection, marinade or brine to really bring out the flavor of your meat.
- BARBECUE SEASONING: Our unique blend of spices and seasonings can be used for grilling, smoking, marinades and more! Enjoy it on pork belly, pork butts, and chicken breasts. You can also use it as a turkey rub, pork rub, or brisket rub.
- TRANSFORM YOUR BBQ: Our delicious spices and seasonings sets are loaded with delectable flavors. Try using the spices while smoking pork or brisket. Add a little spice to your popcorn or homemade chips! Bring out delicious flavors of chicken, brisket, salmon, or pork ribs. Use it for a dry brine of a turkey or a heaping chunk of pork butt.
- GRILLING GIFTS FOR MEN: Flying Swine Rub makes great gifts for the meat lover, grill master, smoker, or home chef in your life! Whether its for Christmas, Father’s Day, or a Birthday, anyone who enjoys cooking will love our BBQ rubs and spices for smoking.
- BBQ SEASONINGS AND RUBS: Flying Swine Seasonings created National Barbecue Association Award Winning BBQ rubs and seasonings. This unique barbecue spice gift set includes all five of our flavors: Original All-Purpose Rub, Slap Apple Bourbon, Sweet N’ Smoky, Sweet N’ Spicy, and Whiskey Maple. All of our seasonings are gluten-free with zero MSG.
Also Check: Where To Buy Wood Pellets For Grill
How Long Can You Leave A Dry Rub On A Chicken
The Secret To Ultra Flavorful Grilled Chicken Homemade Spice Rub
Seasoning any protein with just salt and pepper can be great if its done right, but sometimes Im just looking for something a little more flavorful. Sure you could add BBQ Sauce and make it BBQ Chicken. But in todays recipe we are going straight up spice rub blend. YES!
You can purchase pre-made chicken seasoning packs, but this homemade chicken spice rub is so easy to make and packs so much flavor there is no reason not to give it a try. Heres what youll need:
Don’t Miss: Which Weber Grill Has Sear Station
You Have To Try These Tonight
Chicken is one of the easiest and tastiest meats to prepare on your grill. A brine or seasoned marinade is the key to juicy, flavorful chicken, so read the recipes carefully because many require an hour or more in the refrigerator.
To ensure perfectly grilled chicken, use a reliable instant-read thermometer. The minimum safe internal temperature for chicken is 165 F, and chicken breasts can become dry when cooked beyond that temperature. Dark meat chickensuch as thighson the other hand, is more succulent when cooked to an internal temperature of about 180 F.
Our best grilled chicken recipes are jam-packed with flavor, and any one of them will surely be a hit at your next cookout, party, or family dinner. When looking for ways to cook perfect chicken on the grill, look no further than these tasty, creative recipes for BBQ chicken, jerk chicken, grilled chicken Caprese, chicken sandwiches, salads, and more.
Sweet Rub For Chicken
This is a sweet rub with a bit of spice just to keep things interesting.
Even if you are short on time and have resorted to simply chucking some chicken under the grill, this rub will transform it into something truly special.
This would be a great choice if you want a DIY rub for our smoked garlic and parmesan chicken wings.
You can find the recipe here, along with some great tips on how to choose the right paprika to add to your spice mixes.
Also Check: What Temp Do I Grill Steak
How To Use This Chicken Rub Recipe
Once all of the ingredients are whisked together, you are ready to use it on any cut of chicken you prefer. Simply sprinkle a generous amount onto the chicken and massage it so the rub absorbs into the meat and doesnt fall off when you cook it. Repeat this step until each piece is completely covered with the chicken seasoning.
Here are a few of my favorite cuts to use this seasoning on:
- Thighs Bone-In/Boneless and/or Skin-On/Skinless
Classic Southern Style Dry Rub For Chicken
You can use this for both chicken and pork as well. When you need a quick grilling fix, like for a backyard party with a minimum amount of ingredients, this would be your best bet!
Preparation time- 5 minutes | Cook time- 0 minutes | Additional time- 5 minutesNo: of servings- 20 | Calories per serving- 22 | Cuisine- American
- Two tablespoons of onion powder
- One tablespoon of cayenne pepper
- Two tablespoons of garlic powder
- Two tablespoons of freshly ground black pepper
Other Ingredients Needed
- 1/4 cup of coarse salt
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
Dry rubbing chicken for grilling requires real techniques to bring out its best. So, bringing you a piece of good news, we are ready to share the relevant knowledge of dry rubbing with you! Click here for our epic reveal.
Read Also: How To Cook Tri Tip On Grill