Buying Cooked Lobster Meat
A good seafood market often carries cooked lobster meat, or you can order it online . When you’re buying cooked lobster meat, be sure to specify whether you want lobster tail meat only, or a combination of tail, claw, and knuckle meat. You can store cooked lobster meat in the fridge for up to 3 days, but do try to eat it up right away for the freshest flavor.
On Preparing Grilled Lobster Tail
Now that weve covered how to butterfly the lobster tail, its time to season and grill.
- Make the Butter Sauce: In a small bowl, whisk the melted butter with pressed garlic and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Season the Lobster Tail: Using a grill brush, spread oil on top of the lobster meat. Sprinkle the tops with salt.
- Grill the Lobster Tail: Place the tails on a grill preheated to 400°F flesh side down. Grill the flesh for about 5 minutes, or until grill marks form. Next, flip the tail over and grill until the flesh turns opaque .
- Finish the Lobster Tails with Butter: Finally, brush the lobster tails with the butter mixture. Serve immediately and enjoy!
How To Cook Lobster Tail On The Grill
Before you begin youll mix the butter, lemon, garlic, sea salt & Old bay seasoning. Set aside for later.
To begin you need the main stars ,the lobster tails. They may come frozen so just give them a bit to thaw out or run them under cold water before grilling. Make sure theres no ice on them when you go to grill them.
There are a lot of recipes that call for using cooking shears to cut through the top of the shell, but instead I cut down lengthwise through the centers of the softer bottom shells of the lobster tails.
In other words you wont be cutting the outer hard shell but the softer inside with the legs.
The reason being that I like to add the butter mixture while it cooks and it gives it the perfect cuping action to just cook that delicious lobster meat.
To begin grilling the lobster, preheat grill to medium high heat.
Brush the cut side with avocado oil.
Place the tails cut side down on the heated grill for 5 minutes, until the top shells are bright red.
Flip the tails over and spoon the butter mixture on top of each tail. The lobster meat is almost cooking inside of the butter mixture making it amazing!
Also Check: Char Broil Cleaning
How To Season Lobster For Grilling
Were keeping the seasoning really simple
- Before grilling: Brush the lobster tails with olive oil and season with sea salt and black pepper.
- While grilling: Brush with the seasoned garlic butter after flipping. To make it, whisk together melted butter, crushed garlic, lemon juice, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper.
How To Make Grilled Lobster Tail:
- Using kitchen shears, make a lengthwise cut through the shell down the back of each lobster tail, stopping when you reach the tail fin.
- Turn the tails around and using the shears, cut the top tail fin to meet the other cuts.
- Using a sharp knife, cut through only the lobster meat following the line you just made in the shells.
- Dont cut through the bottom shell portion, just the lobster meat.
You May Like: Smoking Steaks On Traeger
How To Poach Lobster Tails
Lobster tail meat poached in a butter bath will yield tender meat.
Poached Lobster Tail Recipes:
Clawed Vs Clawless Lobsters
While there are lots of different kinds of lobster out there, the crustaceans fall into two main categories: clawed lobsters and those without claws. The most common and popular clawed lobster is the Maine lobster, which comes from the cold waters off the northern Atlantic coast. It has two distinctive meaty front claws and four more pairs of legs, and it is whats most often depicted when you see pictures of whole steamed lobsters. Lobsters without claws, known as spiny or rock lobsters, have five sets of legs that are all the same size and often live in warmer waters, like those the Caribbean and off the coast of Florida. All of the edible meat in spiny lobsters is in the tail.
Recommended Reading: Clean Char Broil Infrared Grill
The 5 Grilled Lobster Recipes We Live By
Here weve curated some of our top recipes for grilling lobsters.
Barbecue master and certified judge of Dirty Smoke, Dru Chai, offers some foolproof tips for grilling tails, plus a simple marinade to kick up the flavor. Take a look.
Rhonda Atkins, aka, the Kitchen Witch, grilled some of our gi-normous lobster tails with tequila lime butter. Her tails were split and cooked on medium heat.
Food stylist and chef, Jeff Parker, grilled our tails West Coast style with drawn butter, citrus zest, lime juice. In Rosarito Beach, Baja California, lobster is split in half. Jeff, however, prepared the tails piggyback style and unlike New England lobster, served our tails with lime wedges. Check out the recipe for Grilled Lobster Tails with Baja butter.
Weve also worked with Maine chefs to create a stunning New England-inspired recipe thats easier to make at home: Lobster Tails with Balsamic Dressing.
You want the meat to turn completely opaque and for the shell to transform into a bright orange-red color. This is the part where you do NOT leave the grill. No matter what.
Important Tips To Know For Grilling Lobster Tails
Now, you know how to grill lobster tails on a pellet grill perfectly and efficiently. But you have to know some of the best tips that can help you in the process of grilling these lobster tails. Some of the tips are:
- You can use most of the types of lobster for grilling. The best one is the Maine lobster which can provide the best flavors.
- You will know that the grilling of the lobster tails is done once the shell starts to turn red and the flesh becomes opaque in nature.
- Dont overcook the lobster as that will make the flesh dry and chewy. You need to keep it tender and juicy keeping the flavors intact.
- You have to serve the lobster tails as soon as it comes off the grill because reheating them can make them dryer.
Use the charcoal in the pellet grill to bring that smoky flavor to the lobster tail grill. This can enhance the taste and satisfy the taste buds even more.
Also Check: How To Cook Grilled Cheese On Stove
Read Also: How To Clean Char Broil Infrared Grill
Buttery Grilled Lobster Tail
Lobster is such a treat, but that doesnt mean you need to go to a fancy restaurant to enjoy it! You can experience restaurant-quality lobster in your home, prepared with your own two hands. Its EASY!
It can be just a tad bit tricky to properly cook a whole lobster, though, so today were keeping it simple with quick and easy Grilled Lobster Tails. No snapping claws, no broken rubber bands, no worries!
I cant even begin to explain to you guys how much I love these buttery lobster tails. They are SO GOOD. Fresh lobster tails are slathered in a garlic and lemon butter sauce and then grilled until tender and juicy. The lobster meat will literally melt in your mouth by the time youre done thats how tender were talking!
Lobster can be enjoyed any time of year, but its especially great in the summertime. Theres nothing like that smoky taste that comes from the grill and combines with all the flavorful herbs and butter is your mouth watering? Just me!?!
Anyway, the bottom line is this: Its time to treat yourself to a delicious seafood dinner you deserve it!
What Is The Cooking Time For Lobster
Boil lobsters for 10 to 20 min, depending on size: Note the time at which the water comes to a boil again. From that point, boil the lobsters for 10-20 minutes or longer, depending on the size of the lobster. 10-13 minutes for 1 lb lobster, 12-18 minutes for a 1 1/2 pound lobster, 18-23 minutes for a 2-3 pound lobster.
Read Also: What Temperature To Grill Pork Chops
How Long To Broil Lobster Tail
This recipe calls for about 10 minutes of cook time which will vary a bit based on the size of your lobster tail, your oven, and if you preheat the broiler fully before adding lobster tails to oven.
If you have a very large lobster tail it will take a bit longer but smaller tails should be perfect at around 10 minutes, or about 2 minutes + a minute per ounce.
Also Check: What Temp Do You Cook Pork Chops On The Grill
What Temperature Should Lobster Be Cooked To
This is a good question. Per the USDA, lobster should be cooked to 145 degrees internal. Having put that out there as a disclaimer, Ill tell you I never take lobster over 130 degrees internal. Other bloggers will say they only cook lobster tail meat to 120 degrees. So, if you like to color between the lines, always follow USDA recommendations. Ive never been very good at coloring. Whatever you choose, just be sure you have a reliable instant read thermometer, so you have the right information.
Don’t Miss: Pork Temperature Grill
Grilled Lobster Tail Ingredients:
The good news about this lobster recipe is that there is a good chance you already have almost all of the ingredients! Butter, oil, garlic and seasonings are pretty much staples in most kitchens. So, that will give you time to find great fresh lobster tails. It is important that you spend the money and take the time to choose a great lobster tail. You really do get what you pay for with this and since it is the star of the show it is worth the extra effort.
- Lobster tails: Select a lobster that feels heavy for its size and if choosing from live lobster pick one that has no algae on its shell.
- Butter: Salted or unsalted are both good, just adjust the amount of salt you add in accordingly.
- Olive oil: Use a high quality olive oil or extra virgin olive oil because it will taste better in the marinade.
- Garlic Cloves: Minced garlic gives a rich flavor to the lobster meat.
- Salt and Pepper: To taste.
- Cajun Seasoning: Adds great spice!
How Do You Know A Lobster Tail Is Done
How Long to Grill Lobster Tails
These are some guidelines to help you when grilling a lobster tail.
6-7 oz. lobster tails: Grill for about 6-8 minutes.8-10 oz. lobster tails: Grill for about 8-10 minutes16-20 oz lobster tails: Grill for about 10-11 minutes20-24 oz lobster tails: Grill for about 11-12 minutes
The outer shell may get charred a bit. Thats ok. Just be be extra careful not to char the flesh side. The tail is done when the translucent raw meat turns opaque and the shell turns red.
You may be tempted to overcook the lobster but dont because it will make the lobster tough and chewy. If done right youll taste perfection. You really just need to gauge it on the shell and its redness.
This is so crazy easy to make and a delicious dish to enjoy all summer long.
So what are you waiting for? Check out this delicious dish for yourself and get to grilling!
Make sure to pin this delicious recipe below and share it with friends so they can try it themselves.
Serve this delicious recipe with Twice Baked potatoes
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Steaks On A Traeger
What Sides Should I Serve With Lobster Tails
Some popular sides that go well with lobster tails are actually more meat. Lobster goes well with steak, shrimp, or other seafood dishes like clambakes.
Check out how we do surf and turf in the north east.
If youre looking for the lobster tail to be the main dish, vegetable sides like mashed potatoes or grilled asparagus make for a great side dish and recipes are easy to find. If you want to boost your presentation, lay the lobster on a bed of lemon rice. We dont recommend grilling the rice.
Different Ways Of Grilling Lobster
There are a ton of ways for cooking lobster tails. In my Grilled Lobster Tail recipe, you actually will split the lobster in half from the back. This will allow the meat a wider spread to cook so that everything is evenly placed on the grill.
You can definitely cook this way if you like! You can also grill them with the flesh pulled out!
Don’t Miss: Macaroni Grill Bankruptcy
Buying And Thawing Lobster Tails
Frozen lobster tails can be from clawed or clawless lobsters. There are a couple of ways to tell which ones are being sold. Check the package or ask the fishmonger for the region the lobster was caught in. If it doesnt say, take a look at the color: Maine lobster tails are generally dark green-brown with hints of red. Spiny lobsters are lighter in color, with a range of relatively pale yellows and browns, and some have distinctive spots. Maine lobster tails are prized for their sweet flavor and are more expensive than spiny lobster tails, which dont cook up as sweet. Both are fine choices for grilling, but if I had to pick one over the other, Id go with Maine lobster tails.
Because lobsters must be cooked or frozen immediately after theyre killed, raw lobster tails are always sold frozen. Instead of removing the tails from whole fresh lobster, I find it easier to buy frozen lobster tails since theyre usually processed and flash frozen soon after theyre caught. I usually buy one6- to 8-ounce lobster tail per person, although you can always go smaller or larger depending on what else youre serving or what your store carries.
The best way to defrost lobster tails safely and evenly is to put them on a plate or baking sheet in a single layer in the refrigerator and let them thaw for about 24 hours. This keeps them at a safe temperature and thaws them more evenly than leaving them out at room-temperature or thawing them under cold running water.
How Long To Grill Lobster Tails:
- L: 6-7 oz. lobster tails: Grill for about 6-8 minutes.
- XL: 8-10 oz. lobster tails: Grill for about 8-10 minutes
- XXL:16-20 oz lobster tails: Grill for about 10-11 minutes
- XXXL: 20-24 oz lobster tails: Grill for about 11-12 minutes
Want to learn how to barbecue a whole lobster? See our recipe for cooking live lobster on the grill.
You May Like: How To Clean Stainless Steel Barbecue
Buttery Rich And Succulent Lobster Tail On The Grill Is A Real Treat At A Fraction Of The Cost You Would Pay When Dining Out
Change it up this summer and treat your family to a special dinner that doesnt require a second mortgage to pay for it. Id never think about taking the whole family out for grilled lobster tail. However, I can pick up frozen lobster tails at my local grocery store for about $35.00 for a package of four.
Thats probably less that it would cost for one person to enjoy a great dinner in a good restaurant. I know sometimes we like eat out, and sometimes we like to eat outside!
How To Thaw Lobster Tails Before Grilling
Thawing lobster tails for grilling is the same as if you were broiling lobster tails. There are two methods you can use:
- Fridge: Thaw the lobster tails in the refrigerator overnight. Make sure to check your tails an hour or so before you plan on cooking them, to ensure they are fully thawed!
- Cold Water: Place lobster tails in a zip lock bag and submerge in water for 30-60 minutes, until thawed completely.
Recommended Reading: How To Clean Grill Pan Cast Iron
What Vegetables Go With Lobster
Any spring or summer vegetable pairs well with lobster, but we especially love veggies with a crunch, like broiled green beans, roasted asparagus or grilled carrots. Salads made with juicy veggies like tomatoes and cucumbers also pair well with the firm texture and sweet flavor of the lobster, and any succotash or corn side dishes are a nice way to bring complementary flavors. Check out our top vegetable side dishes to get inspired.
Master Grilling Lobster Tails With Our Ready To Grill Tails
- Only sell hard-shell lobsters for maximum meat in every tail
- Never add chemicals or preservatives 100% natural
These tails are ready to be put to the ultimate grilling test. Check them out!
You May Like: Veggie Grill All Vegan
Tips For Grilling Lobster
Following these tips will make the cooking process easier and enhance the flavor of your lobster.
- Prepare your ice bath before you boil the lobster.
- Use sea salt. Anything that comes from the sea tastes better with sea salt.
- When you grill, start with the flesh side down. Then when you finish, the flesh side will be up so you can add a small amount of additional compound butter.
- After the lobster is off the grill, and just before serving, add a final squeeze of fresh lemon and a dash of sea salt.