The Juiciest Oven Baked Chicken Breast Right Here
For years I tried so many recipes and techniques for a juicy baked chicken breast. Disappointed every single time and having to chew though mouthful of dry chicken, dipping each forkful in mayonnaise just to get through it. If you love food as much as I do, this is usually a completely heartbreaking experience.
Enter our recipe: easy, fast and simple. No weird steps, no wrapping, tenting, brining or marinating needed. Just a good flavoured seasoning rubbed all over our chicken and let your oven do all the work.
This is how I make the most incredible baked chicken breast that retain all of their natural juices!
The best part about this recipe are the pan juices that mix through the seasoning to give you a little something extra to drizzle them with when serving.
A Few Notes About Methodology
Our recipe suggestions came from Kitchns team of food editors and contributors. For example, contributor Patty Catalano suggested our own pounded thin, brined, and marinated chicken, while my friends The Grill Dads had a lot to say about dry brining . Each method was prepared so that they could be grilled and tested side-by-side. I used boneless, skinless breasts of roughly the same weight . Two methods had overnight brining or marinating times as options, and I did test them out to try and get the best results. Each method was tested on a gas grill following the directions for each method most call for medium-high heat, while two called for indirect and direct heat . All of the chicken was sliced and taste tested in our backyard by my family of four and two close friends. Here are the results.
The Best Way To Grill Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
The ingredients and directions youll find in this recipe will give you the best, juiciest chicken breast on the grill.
You can use this method to grill chicken breast on a gas grill or a charcoal grill.
If you do not have a grill, you can use a grill pan like this one to cook the grilled chicken breast on the stove instead.
Also Check: Deep Clean Weber Grill
How Do You Grill Chicken Breasts Without Drying It Out
The key is to cook on direct heat for the first 8-10 minutes , but then switch to indirect heat for the last 5-7 minutes. ALSO do not leave it on the grill until it reaches an internal temp of 165 remove it from the grill when it is around 160 and then let it rest off the grill. As it rests, it will continue to cook and the temp can continue to rise nearly 10 degrees! So imagine if you did leave it on the grill until it reached 165? It would continue to cook and might reach 175 before you eat it! It would be over-cooked and dry.
How To Barbecue Grilled Chicken Breasts
I used to think that if you were going to make bbq chicken, then you smothered the chicken breasts with sauce BEFORE grilling. I learned pretty quickly that it doesnt work that way.
If you plan on using bbq sauce, grill your chicken breast using the instructions listed above. 2-3 minutes prior to removing your grilled chicken breasts, brush the chicken with your favorite bbq sauce.
Read Also: How To Marinate Shrimp For Grilling
Grill Different Chicken Parts
The advantage of grilling different types of chicken pieceslike the breast, leg, thigh, and wingis that everyone eating can pick the piece they want the most. The problem, however, is getting all the pieces grilled perfectly so that no one piece is over or undercooked. Understand how to handle each cut of chicken:
Juicy Stove Top Chicken Breasts
My all time favorite stove top chicken breasts recipe is here!
Thanks to a simple method, the chicken breasts are never dry, always tender, and super tasty. After this recipe, youll see that chicken couldnt be any easier to prepare for a quick and easy dinner idea.
I have talked about Oven Baked Chicken Breasts and Easy Baked Chicken Breasts, but we have yet to discuss a stove top method. Except for that one time when we covered the method for Juicy Stove Top Chicken Thighs.
I think its safe to say that skinless, boneless chicken breasts are the most popular cut of poultry. Am I right? I think? Theyre the most searched for ingredient on my website, thats for sure, and thats because people always want a new way to cook chicken.
Thus, picture this: juicy, awesomely seasoned chicken breasts, pan seared in vegetable oil, and finished off with a tablespoon of butter. Thats it. That is all were doing.
Read Also: How To Get Grease Off Concrete
How To Cook Chicken Breasts On The Stove
- Start with a simple seasoning on both sides of the chicken breasts. Grease the chicken breasts with cooking spray or oil, then season with salt, fresh ground pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and dried basil. This dry mix of herbs and spices adds a wonderful zing and flavor to the chicken breasts.
- In the meantime, heat up vegetable oil or canola oil in a large skillet.
- When oil is hot, add chicken breasts to the pan. Cook two chicken breasts at a time because you dont want to overcrowd your skillet.
- Cook chicken breasts for 5 to 7 minutes without moving them around.
- Flip the chicken breasts over. Add a tablespoon of butter to the skillet, and continue to cook for 7 more minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165F. Cooking time will always depend on the thickness of the chicken breasts.
- Rest. When finished, transfer chicken breasts to a cutting board. Let rest for 5 minutes, then slice and serve.
How To Grill Chicken On Stove
Learn how to make the best tender, juicy and delicious chicken breasts right on your stove-top in a grill pan or cast iron pan. I dont know where Id be without grilled chicken. I grill chicken all year for meal-prep and for so many recipes too. Grilled, skinless chicken breasts make a great addition to a healthy diet because they are low in calories and high protein. Eating chicken breast, without breading or skin, helps you eat fewer calories and even burn extra calories for effective weight loss. I always make extra and save it for salads, in burritos, pasta or meal prepping!
Because we dont always have access to the outdoor grill year round, I make the chicken on the stove-top most of the time. To make tender juicy grilled chicken you will need a heavy duty grill pan. A cast iron pan with ridges works best but if your cast iron pan doesnt have ridges, you can still grill the chicken on it too.
For the seasoning, I usually switch it up each time I make the chicken and dont really measure but for the sake of this recipe Ive included my favorite herb and seasoning mix. You can also used a packet of taco seasoning or your favorite herbs and spices and make it your own.
Recommended Reading: What Is The Largest Weber Grill
Whats The Difference Between Grilling And Barbecue
Whats meant by bbq chicken? Is it grilled or is it barbecue? And what the bid dif? The difference between barbecued chicken and grilled chicken is largely a difference in symanticsand where you position the lid.
BBQ chicken is cooked with the lid of the grill closed to create an oven effect, so the heat circulates around the protein and cooks slower from all sides. Grilling is cooking with the lid open and over a higher, more direct heat source. Thats where youll get that sear so delicious on steaks and burgers.
But when youre using on BBQ sauce on chicken, a hot, direct heat source is NOT what you want. Unless you like your BBQ chicken barbecue sauce charred and burned.
How To Grill Chicken
Breasts, thighs, wings here’s how to grill chicken of all kinds.
Get your grilling skills up to snuff before grill season. For the grilling novice, chicken is a great place to start because it’s not as finicky as steak, but still provides a satisfying result. Whether you’re grilling chicken breasts, thighs, or wings, we’ll walk you step-by-step through grilling chicken so you can be a backyard hero this grills season.
Don’t Miss: Where Are Weber Spirit Grills Made
How To Store Leftover Chicken
Let the grilled chicken sit a room temperature about 10 minutes to cool off, then refrigerate or freeze based on the times below.
- Refrigerate in a sealed container up to 34 days.
- Freeze whole, shredded, or chopped pieces tightly sealed up to 34 months. I like to freeze in separate smaller bags for easy leftover portions.
Grilled Buffalo Chicken Sliders Recipe
Melt the butter, mix in the Italian seasoning, then brush the butter over the buns. Cover the baking dish with foil then bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 5 minutes, or until the sliders are hot, the cheese is melted, and the tops of the buns are golden. Cut into individual sliders and serve immediately.
Add the top slab of rolls. In a small bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, worcsershire sauce, garlic salt, and parsley. Brush the mixture over the top of the rolls. Cover the sliders with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Uncover and cook for another 5 minutes.
Steps: Wash chicken and place in large pot. Cover with water and add chopped vegetables, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 2 hours or until meat comes away easily from the bone.
Read also: chicken chilli recipe. Mother can make Grilled Buffalo Chicken Sliders use 9 ingredients that are easy to get: Seasoning Grilled Buffalo Chicken Sliders as follows: Take 2 lb Ground Chicken. Prepare 3/4 cup Panko Bread Crumbs. Take 3/4 cup Seasoned Bread Crumbs. Prepare 1 Egg. Provide 1/2 cup Frank’s Hot Sauce.
You May Like: Grilling Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast On Gas Grill
How To Use Grilled Chicken Breast
- On Pizza. Finish off your favorite pizza with diced pieces of grilled chicken breast. It would be a scrumptious addition to Ricotta Pizza with Peaches or English Muffin Pizza.
- On Salad. Add diced grilled chicken to a salad like this Red White and Blue Quinoa Fruit Salad or Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad.
- On a Sandwich. A grilled chicken breast sandwich is a delicious way to utilize this recipe! Serve the grilled chicken breast on your favorite bun with cheese and other toppings.
Baste The Chicken Breasts
Generously baste the breasts, if desired, with melted butter, oil, or marinade . Baste the cooked side only to avoid cross-contamination. If using a glaze or barbecue sauce, apply it the last 2 minutes of grilling glazes usually contain sugar and can burn easily, so watch carefully.
In Part 2, well share the many ways you can prepare chicken breasts, which are popular in all the worlds grilling cultures. In the meantime, heres a simple but flavor-packed recipeBourbon-Brined Chickento get you started grilling the best skinless, boneless chicken breasts of your life.
Whats your favorite chicken breast recipe? Share them with us on , , Reddit, or !
You May Like: Cleaning Stainless Steel Grill Grates
Grilled Chicken Thighs With Adobo Sauce
Flip the chicken and place it back on the same hot spot for the same amount of time. When the other side has achieved your preferred coloring, move the chicken to the top rack or a cooler part of the grill. Use a thermometer to check that each thigh has an internal temperature of 155 F, and then remove from the grill. While it rests, the chicken will continue cooking to 165 F.
How To Cook The Chicken On Your Gas Grill:
- Do NOT close the lid on your grill
- Cook chicken breasts on medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes per side
- Turn chicken frequently to cook evenly on both sides and pay attention to hot spots on the grillyou may see some pieces of chicken start to blacken. While it may look appealing, it will become dried out and crunchygross!
- Keep one of your burners on a lower temperature so you can transfer chicken thats cooking too quickly and slow the burning so it doesnt dry out the meat
- Do NOT overcook! I recommend removing the chicken when the internal temperature hits 157-160 degrees Fahrenheit and covering with foil so the carryover cooking brings it up to the USDA minimum of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
We have posted some great recipes over the years, so follow the tips above and find a recipe below you like and enjoy some delicious chicken!
Also Check: Weber Grill Model By Serial Number
The Best Bbq Chicken Calls For The Simplest Ingredients
The best thing about grilled BBQ chicken is the fact that youve likely got everything you need to make it on hand at any point in time. Absolutely necessary for any summer staple!
The cast of characters includes :
- chicken You can use whatever chicken parts you love most for this BBQ chicken recipe: breasts, drumsticks, wings, leg quarters, thighs it all works! Personally, I have a thing for chicken thighs I think theyre the tastiest, most flavorful & juicy part of the chicken.
- beer or buttermilk, used for a quick BBQ chicken marinade. Both are delicious in their own right. Beer lends an awesome funky flavor , while buttermilk tenderizes the chicken. Use whatever youve got on hand or whatever youre in the mood for.
- spices, like chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, mustard powder, onion powder, & smoked paprika, which, when combined with a little bit of brown sugar, create the easiest & most delicious dry rub for chicken. I buy all my spices & staples at ALDI. Theyre super high quality, fragrant & full-flavored, & totally affordable.
- BBQ sauce Use your fave! You can, of course, make your own BBQ sauce from scratch. With so many amazing bottled BBQ sauces out there, I always opt to just grab something from the store. The Burmans BBQ sauces at ALDI are my personal favorite. With a variety for each major BBQ region , its fun to pick & choose what youre in the mood for whenever you make grilled BBQ chicken. I always keep a bottle of each stocked in my pantry.
Which Grill To Use For Grilled Chicken Breast
Any propane gas grill will work. However, more burners usually means a larger surface area, as well as more even heat distribution. Youll have plenty of room for grilling chicken, other meats and veggies on Char-Broils Commercial Series TRU-Infrared Gas Grill. Six large chicken breasts barely took a third of the grill, leaving plenty of room to spare.
The tips above guarantee moist chicken breast on any gas grill, but TRU-Infrared will take it even further. It has special plates with small holes below the main grilling grates that regulate heat, creating an even temperature to control cooking. No more hot or cold spots, allowing the entire grilling surface to be used. With plenty of cooking space and 4 burners, you can grill multiple items and control the temperature in each area.
The infrared grates also prevent flare-ups. You get that smoky grilled flavor, but cooking is safer and theres less risk of burning food. The even heat distribution means more control over you grilling, allowing up to 50% juicier food.
With these few simple tips on grilled chicken breast, youll be a grilling pro in no time.
Don’t Miss: Do Weber Grills Ever Go On Sale
Tips For Grilled Chicken Breast
Dont grill chicken cold: As with most meats, you want to bring close to room temperature before grilling or cooking. This allows more even cooking throughout. If you grill directly from the fridge, the outside will cook much faster and you risk chairing before the center reaches the correct temperature.
Allow chicken breast to sit about 30 minutes at room temperature before cooking. Not much longer or youll increase the risk of food contamination.
Pre-season: Generously coat both sides of chicken with light olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and desired seasonings. The olive oil helps to hold in moisture while cooking, increases those nice golden sear marks and helps seasonings stick better to the meat.
Preheat the grill: Preheat the gas grill to medium-high until the temp reaches 350-400° degrees F. The grill needs to be hot when you add chicken, allowing it to sear and cook evenly.
How to add chicken breasts to gas grill: Lightly grease cooking grates of the preheated gas grill with vegetable oil spray or paper towel application to prevent sticking. Immediately add chicken with at least 2-3 inches between pieces. Close lid and cook.
Reduce heat to medium midway: Rotate mid-way for even sear marks and cooking.
Grilled chicken breast safe temp: Cook chicken breast just to an internal temperature of 165° F with an instant-read thermometer. Watch carefully and do not overcook.
Tips For Grilling Chicken Breasts
- Pound to even thickness: Pounding the boneless, skinless breasts to an even thickness will help the meat cook more evenly, so you don’t have the extremes of raw and dry.
- Marinate the chicken in an acidic marinade made with lime juice. It’s almost like using buttermilk, but lime flavored. The acid helps tenderize the meat for grilling.
- Work with chilled meat: Since the chicken breasts have been formed into rather thin cutlets, take them directly from the refrigerator to the grill. That way, they don’t overcook in the time it takes to get nice grill marks on them.
Recommended Reading: What Temp To Cook Chicken On Grill