Lay A Large Sheet Of Foil On A Baking Sheet
- Youll want a piece large enough to fully wrap around your piece of fish, with plenty of overhang on all sides to make a foil packet.
- I recommend using a heavy-duty foil or at least slightly thicker foil, as it is less prone to tearing.
- The baking sheet is there so its easy to carry to your grill. When youre done grilling, you can slide the foil packet right back onto it, then carry it straight to the kitchen .
- If you do not want your food to touch the foil directly, lay a sheet of parchment paper on top of the foil to act as a barrier. Cooking food directly in foil has been noted as a health concern by some, so do whatever makes you the most comfortable.
Types Of Salmon To Choose From
- Wild or farmed? You can choose wild or farmed, its up to you. Farm-raised salmon tends to be milder in flavor and more fatty/buttery in texture, while on the other hand wild salmon can be a little more spendy, but is leaner, pinker, and higher in minerals such as zinc and iron. Both are delicious!
- Skin on or off? Choose a salmon with the skin still on it. This will help keep the salmon extra flavorful, plus its easier to grill.
- Different varieties of salmon. The most common types of salmon youll find at the grocery store are King/Chinook, which is large with a high fat content, Sockeye, which is more red/orange in color, Coho/Silver salmon, which has bright red flesh, and Atlantic Salmon, which is always farmed.
Does Salmon Cook Faster In Foil
Its foil makes the process of cooking the fish faster and more efficient. The use of it as an alternative means to cook fish is another good reason. Certainly, salmon is a healthy fish, as it is in fact. If you cook it in foil, you have no need to put too much oil or butter to it to make the best cooking possible.
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Tasting Steak For Grilling
How To Grill Salmon In Foil
An easy tutorial on how to grill salmon in foil packets. This simple method for cooking salmon requires only a few ingredients, a few minutes, and minimal cleanup.
Im going to give it to you straight: I could subsist nay, thrive on grilled salmon alone. Theres something about that smoky-charred flavor with the crispy skin that makes my mouth buds sing each and every time.
Truthfully, Im all about drizzling a little avocado oil over the salmon, sprinkling it with spices, and plunking it right down on the grill. If youre like me and prefer the fish-to-grill method, you can scope out the way I do it in The Only Grilled Salmon Recipe Youll Ever Need.
While foil-less is my preference, I know there are plenty of you who enjoy cooking your salmon in foil. For those of you who prefer grilled salmon in foil, I have the easiest little tutorial for you. It involves you, some tin foil, your salmon fillet, a lemon, some seasoning, and oil. And salt dont forget the salt.
If youre barbecuing a great deal of other items, grilling salmon in a foil packet can be a useful way to conserve grill space for foods that require higher heat.
Simply place the packet on the shelf of the grill or near the high heat foods and cook directly over the burners.
This BBQ salmon in foil recipe can be adapted to your own personal taste by incorporating your favorite spices and herbs, fresh garlic, etc. It will be a crowd pleaser at your next BBQ!
How To Freeze Grilled Salmon
You can freeze leftover salmon for up to 3 months. To freeze, place individual salmon fillets in a freezer size bag along with any extra sauce, squeeze out excess air to preserve freezer burn, label and freeze. I love the option of pulling out individual salmon fillets and have added this particular salmon recipe to scrambled eggs and salad for the win!
Also Check: Grill Time For Thick Pork Chops
How Long To Grill Salmon In Foil:
Salmon is considered fully cooked by the FDA when it reaches 145 degrees Fahrenheit. Generally, salmon on the grill in foil takes about 10 to 15 minutes to cook. The best way of ensuring your salmon is fully cooked is using a meat thermometer. Insert the thermometer in the center of the thickest part of the salmon to get an accurate read.
Do note that the salmon will continue cooking after it is removed from the grill. Allow it to rest for 10 minutes before serving for best results!
Ways To Save Money On Meat
Are you looking for some Easy Ways to Save Money on Meat? With grocery prices soaring, these simple tips and tricks are just what you need!
Want to know how to cut your grocery bill in half? Keep more cash in your wallet with these easy money saving tricks!
Dont miss out! Get all the latest fun Frugal Girls Recipes, Tips + more here
So have you tried making this Grilled Garlic Salmon Recipe yet?
Leave a comment and share
Filed Under: Main Courses Sides, RecipesTagged With: Grilling, Seafood
Thanks for stopping by The Frugal Girls… I’m so glad you’re here!Want to stretch your budget this month? Be sure to check out my top tips for Easy Ways to Save More Money!
Recommended Reading: Where To Refill Gas Tank For Grill
More About This Recipe
- This foil wrapped salmon on grill recipe is simplicity itself. Just place each serving of salmon on its own piece of foil, add lemon and seasoning, seal the edges, and pop the packets onto a hot grill. In just about 15 minutes, youll be ready to cut the packets open for an aromatic and dramatic presentation of your fresh-off-the-grill main course. To learn more, check out our Guide to Grilling Salmon. If youre wondering what to serve with such an impressive entrée, consider a crisp and garlicky Caesar salad, some steamed vegetables and a side of potatoes or rice. Since youve already got the grill fired up, consider grilling peaches or pineapple and adding them to dishes of ice cream for dessert. Now that you know how to grill salmon in foil, you can try even more traditional favorites, intriguing variations and fresh new takes in this collection of Bettys Best Salmon Recipes.
How Do You Know When Grilled Salmon Is Cooked
There are a few ways to tell if your salmon is fully cooked or not, and once you get the hang of cooking and grilling salmon youll become more and more comfortable with judging it based on the look.
As I mentioned, its better to undercook rather than overcook your salmon, and remember that it will continue to cook as it rests after you grill it!
Also Check: Can You Make Grilled Cheese In An Air Fryer
The Disadvantages Of Grilling With Aluminum Foil
What To Serve With Salmon
When the weather is warm, theres nothing like a piece of perfect salmon cooked on the grill with a drizzle of tahini green goddess sauce and a fresh salad .
But since youre firing up the grill anyway, why not grill some vegetables?! And if you need something starchy to serve along, try my potato salad or serve your salmon over a bed of bulgur wheat.
Recommended Reading: How To Turn On Lynx Grill
Best Ways To Season Grilled Salmon Recipes:
There are many different ways to season Grilled Salmon. Here are some of our favorites:
- Salmon and Lime Substitute the lemon for the lime and add cilantro instead of dill. I love the flavors of the lemon and cilantro together. We love adding fresh herbs to our salmon recipes.
- BBQ Salmon Change the flavors completely but brushing the salmon with BBQ sauce instead of butter. You can even make Homemade BBQ sauce with easy ingredients.
- Asian Flavored Salmon For an Asian flavored Salmon, add soy sauce to your foil pack. Soy sauce can be substituted for the butter with some added garlic.
- Sweet Salmon If you prefer a sweeter salmon, add about ¼ cup of brown sugar to the foil with some melted butter. Squeeze some lemon and season with salt and pepper on the salmon skin.
What Is Salmon In Foil
Salmon in foil is essentially a large-scale version of salmon en papillote, or salmon steamed in a parchment paper packet but in foil! This classically French method of cooking salmon in a packet boasts many benefits which make for an easy summer meal: the fish is super easy to grill, cooks evenly, and cleanup is a breeze, just to name a few. Here are more reasons to love salmon in foil:
Recommended Reading: How Long To Grill 1 Inch Pork Chops
Why Grill Salmon In Foil
If grilling intimidates you this is a recipe youll love. Its made on the grill but you dont have to be a griller to make it.
There are many reasons grilling a foil packs is a great choice:
It holds in moisture so the salmon cooks from heat and steaming. It cooks through, is moist and delicious!
There is no risk of grill flare ups over cooking the salmon. And the salmon cant stick to the grill.
Easy serving .
Easy clean up. Once the food is served the foil can be discarded. No clean up of the grill either!
It makes a full meal in one packet!
Grilled Salmon Recipe Faq
Is aluminum safe to cook with?
Understandably, there are concerns about the safety of consuming aluminum. The truth is, aluminum is present in commercially manufactured foods as well as some natural foods like salmon and other fish. However, research studies indicate that the levels of aluminum are usually very small and deemed to be safe.
What size is one serving of salmon?
According to the National Institute of Health, a healthy portion of salmon is 3 to 4 ounces. The nutritional information for this grilled salmon recipe is based on a 6 ounce serving.
Other foil packet meals for the grill
If you enjoy grilled salmon in foil and want to make other foods the same way, heres a recipe for chicken foil packs or you can make a packet meal of meatloaf on the grill!
Subscribe to my Newsletter, follow me on , , and for all my latest recipes and videos.
Also Check: What Temp To Grill Pork Chops
How To Cook Salmon In Foil In The Oven
If you prefer to cook the salmon packets in the oven instead:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
At 400 degrees F the salmon should take 10 minutes + 5 minutesrest after cooking.
At 375 degrees F the salmon should take 12-15 minutes + 5 minutes rest after cooking.
Is Grilling On Aluminum Foil Actually Safe
You might have heard rumors linking aluminum foil to certain chronic illnesses including the Alzheimers disease: which is basically the intense sickness of the mental health, but the general consensus in the scientific community is that aluminum foil is totally safe to grill, bake or roast with.
Not just aluminum foil, but other aluminum cookwares as well. Even aluminum materials such as juice can and bottles are safe to drink from.
The linking is merely a speculation as there are far too many factors to consider before aluminum can actually be singled out as the main culprit.
Many research are still under way and whether or not aluminum foil and cookware is a thing we must learn to live without is something we can find out soon. Perhaps!
The fear of cooking with aluminum foil is often that it leaches aluminum elements into whatever were cooking. But this happens in trace amounts which constitutes only a negligible fraction of the total daily limit for a healthy adult slightly more than 50 mg per day according to the World Health Organization, and of the total daily amount that we normally ingest into our bodies from all sources other than leaching i.e. processed foods, tea, air and water.
Further, the Agency for toxic Substances and Disease Registry also estimated that people only absorb 0.01 to 5 percent of the total aluminum they ingest, and the cookware contribution to this amount is usually less than 2 milligrams.
Read Also: How Do You Cook Bbq Chicken On The Grill
Lemony Garlic Butter Grilled Salmon In Foil Packets With Green Beans
Posted on Last updated:
This simple grilled salmon in foil recipe is packed with lemony garlic butter flavor! Adding green beans to the foil packet means you have have a healthy protein and side dish on the table in under 30 minutes
This is a sponsored conversation on behalf of Alaska Seafood as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central all opinions and text are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that support this site!
Storage And Reheating Tips
Wrap leftover salmon well and store in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat gently in the microwave. Or enjoy it cold, flaked on a salad or sandwich. Yum!
Cooked salmon can also be wrapped well and frozen for up to three months. Thaw overnight in the fridge for best results. Use thawed salmon like you would canned salmon.
Have a lot of leftover salmon? Use it to make a casserole, like this easy cheesy salmon casserole by The Spruce Eats, or try delicious salmon patties by my friend Erin at Well Plated.
I love how salmon is so easy to prepare and adapts to such a variety of flavors. Try:
You May Like: Does Dog House Grill Delivery
Whats The Best Grilled Salmon In Foil
Youll want to select a center cut salmon if possible so that the cut is reasonably consistent in thickness. Youll want a piece that is about 1 thick and a bright pink salmon color.
Check the underside to make sure that it hasnt grayed. Then simply follow this recipe for a terrific and EASY dinner!
What Others Are Saying
Jacqulyne de Jardins says:
Really tasty and easy salmon dish. I added in some herb butter and it was fantastic for a Keto dinner.
Laura Griffin says:
These grilled salmon and asparagus foil packets were so easy! I can’t believe I had not thought of this before. The lemon butter sauce was perfect. This is my favorite way to make this dish now.
Sarah Gray says:
Mahi Mahi was a perfect substitute for this recipe. Served it with a side of brown rice. Brilliant!
Anthony Cohen says:
Made this recipe with mahi mahi and a side of quinoa. So good. Love the asparagus, lemon, and tomato flavors in the packet with the fish.
Steven Gomes says:
Made this recipe in the oven instead of a grill. Love the way the tomatoes cook, they give off so much flavor. I added some herbs and spices too.
Recommended Reading: What To Clean Your Grill With
Is Aluminum Foil Toxic When Heated
The dangers of cooking with aluminum foil occur when it is heated to high temperatures. The heating process causes aluminum leaching which contaminates food. When aluminum foil exposed to certain foods, it has been shown to leach a portion of its metallic compounds into the food, and then you eat it.
How To Make This Salmon Your Own:
- Too cold or rainy to grill? No problem! Make grilled salmon in foil right in your oven. Preheat the oven to 400°F, and proceed with the recipe exactly the same way. It will turn out pretty much the same as on the grill.
- This salmon recipe can be seasoned however you like. Add more garlic, or use less garlic. Skip the chives or add lemon and dill. Use a soy sauce based marinade. Keep reading for more ideas for salmon.
- Whole30, Paleo, or dairy free: use olive oil instead of butter.
Also Check: Who Sells Propane Tanks For Grills
Is Aluminum Even Safe To Put On The Grill
So now that the health effects of cooking with aluminum foil is buy the side, you might also be interested in how well the pantry foil fares under high heat situations?
Well, aluminum foil both the standard, heavy duty, and extra heavy duty variety can easily tolerate extreme situations like that. Its actually made for that kind of environment.
Foil can easily tolerate hours on end tossed in red hot coal or in a 500°F boiling oven, so the prospect of it charring on the grill under a black hot smoke is easily dismissed! Just go ahead and place it on the grid. If it chaps and chars, come back to thewisebaker and well take full responsibility!