Summary: Average Grilling Times For All Chicken Cuts
For your reference, here are the average times for grilling various size pieces of chicken:
- Chicken breast, boneless, skinless 6 8 ounces will take between 8 and 12 minutes over direct medium heat
- Chicken breast, bone-in 10 12 ounces 30 to 40 minutes over indirect medium heat
- Leg or thigh, bone-in 30 to 40 minutes over indirect medium heat
- Thigh, boneless, skinless 4 ounces 8 to 10 minutes over direct high heat
- Chicken wings 2 -3 ounces 18 to 20 minutes over direct medium heat
- Whole chicken 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 lbs 1 1/2 to 2 hours over indirect medium heat
Do keep in mind that these times may vary if you , or add a sauce, or change the chicken in any way.
What Is The Best Internal Temperature For Chicken
If you only remember one temperature, its 165 degrees F . This is the minimum safe internal temperature of chicken.
While you want to cook your legs and thighs a bit higher, you will know that theyre safe to eat.
Some recipes will tell you to cut the meat, and if the juices run clear, the chicken is cooked. Clear juices are not a reliable indicator of doneness. Depending on the age of the bird, juices might not run clear until its way overcooked.
How Long To Grill Chicken Leg Quarters
Since legs and thighs have the biggest bones, it takes longer to cook than the breasts or wings.
Youll want to grill whole chicken legs over indirect heat for 30 to 40 minutes, turning every 15 minutes. Finish over direct heat for about 10 minutes, 5 minutes per side.
Because of the dark meat and bones, you want to wait until the internal temperature is 180 °F to 190 °F before taking them off the grill. 165 °F is safe, but at 180 °F the meat tastes much better, and it will be tender.
Also Check: Cook Salmon On Gas Grill
Is Organic Chicken Better When Grilling Chicken Breast
When it comes to cooking chicken breasts, there is no difference between organic and non-organic chicken. Organic means that the birds are raised without pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, additives or animal by-products, and have access to the outdoors. But, it doesnt necessarily mean that the chicken is healthier for you, tastes better or will cook better. Heres more on how to read the labels on a pack of chicken.
More Top Tips To Make Grilled Bbq Chicken
- Use organic chicken that hasnt been raised on antibiotics.
- Check out this video to see how to cut up a whole chicken.
- Use your favorite bbq sauce for this recipe or try this homemade version.
- Let the chicken sit for a few minutes before serving it.
- You can make this recipe year round! Just use an indoor grill pan on the stovetop.
Read Also: Can You Grill A Steak On A Traeger
Easy Grilled Bbq Chicken
BBQ season is now in full force, and I love BBQs. They make me so happy! I love the smell of the grill heating up outside! Im not sure why I usually reserve using my grill for having people over and an official barbecue? So, lately I have been stepping out of my comfort zone and making more and more of my familys meals outside on my grill even during the week. This simple recipe is one reason why!
We had friends over last week and I made this easy grilled bbq chicken. It was perfect! The chicken was so moist and grilled perfectly. My hubby has always had awesome BBQ skills, but after that night I can definitely say I do too! Now, I feel confident to use the grill any night of the week. It is especially nice that Im not heating up my kitchen on these hot summer nights! My mouth is watering just thinking about this yummy chicken! I am definitely going to make it again soon!
How Long Does It Take To Cook Bbq Chicken On The Grill
The cooking time for bbq chicken varies depending on the cuts of chicken that you use. Bone-in always takes a considerable amount of time longer, but also results in the juiciest, most flavorful chicken.
Below are the grilling times for each different cut of chicken at a temperature of 350 degrees:
- bone-in chicken breast: 30-40 minutes depending on size, and boneless chicken breast takes 12-16 minutes, pounded to even thickness for more even cooking
- chicken thighs: boneless chicken thighs take 12-15 minutes and bone-in take 20-25 minutes
- chicken legs: 30-40 minutes
Don’t Miss: How To Get Cooking Oil Off Concrete
The Chicken Is Seasoned But Not Sauced For Most Of The Cooking
I usually buy whole broiler-fryers and cut them up myself. You save a little money buying a whole chicken, and you can use the neck, back, and wing tips to make broth. But chicken thats already cut up is very convenient, so go ahead and buy your favorite parts for the grill.
The spice rub and the sauce recipes make enough for at least eight pounds of chicken, more than you may even be able to fit on a single grill. You can save any extra spice mix in an airtight container for a couple of months. Any extra sauce can go right in the freezer. Just keep the sauce that you plan to save separate from the sauce you plan to brush onto the chicken so that it doesnt get contaminated.
You can pretty much ignore the chicken as it cooks. The chicken will take 2-1/2 to 3 hours to cook. Youll need to check the fire, adding coals now and then to keep the temperature of the grill between 230° and 250°F, but thats only about every 30 to 45 minutes. I also baste the chicken at least once with apple juice, but you dont even have to do that. At first, you wont believe that the fire is hot enough to cook the chicken, and youll wonder if anything is happening at all. But just give it time.
Can You Grill Chicken At 300 Degrees
Whether you grill it upright in a beer can chicken recipe, or on its back, the preferred temperature range for your grill is 200300 °F . This is a long, slow cooking process, that will take approximately 1-1/2 to 2 hours, depending on the size of the bird and how well your grill maintains temperature.
Recommended Reading: What Temp For Grilled Pork Chops
Ready To Hit The Grill
Us too! Try some of PWWBs Top Grilling Recipes ASAP!:
- PWWB Go-To Grilling Marinades 15 go-to recipes youll turn to time & time again, all summer long!
- Easy Grilled Veggies How to grill pretty much any vegetable. Vegan-friendly!
- The Very BEST Grilled BBQ Chicken A summertime classic perfected, thanks to a few simple steps that yield the juiciest, most flavorful BBQ chicken ever.
- Absolutely PERFECT Grilled Buffalo Wings Crispy buffalo perfection. Made with just 3 simple ingredients, grilled chicken wings could not be easier!
- Grilled Black Bean Burgers Burgers arent just for meat-lovers! These grilled veggie burgers are hearty, textural & grill up like a dream!
- Best-Ever Grilled Turkey Burgers Kiss everything you think you know about turkey burgers goodbye. The juiciest, most flavorful grilled turkey burgers youll ever eat!
- PWWB House Burgers The easy French Onion Burgers that were obsessed with at the PWWB House!
- Grilled Wisconsin Beer Brats The easiest Wisconsin-style beer brats, yielding perfectly juicy & crisp brats every time!
- Grilled SausageHow to grill sausage perfectly, every single time! This simple method can translate into dozens of delicious & easy summer dinners no flare ups here!
- Grilled Tuscan Steak Perfectly juicy grilled steak, seasoned with Tuscan-style aromatics. The ultimate grilled steak dinner!
Follow along with Plays Well With Butter on , , & for more easy, modern recipes & fun!
The Best Part: Serving What Goes With Bbq Chicken:
When it comes to side dishes for grilled barbecue chicken, I like to keep things super classic. A few of my faves:
- Ready-Made Classic Potato Salad, Coleslaw, & Macaroni Salad are all available at ALDI my favorite summertime shortcut!
- Pasta salad Pure summertime food! Try this Sundried Tomato Pasta Salad or this Creamy Southwest Pasta Salad theyre both always a hit.
- Grilled veggies No summer plate is complete without some grilled veggies. Grill up some corn on the cob, peppers & onions, or sweet potatoes!
- Panzanella Another one of my summertime favorites. This recipe is perfect since youll already have the grill fired up for your BBQ chicken.
My ideal plate? A Grilled BBQ Chicken Bowl! Dice up your chicken & serve it over greens & quinoa, with grilled veggies, a little sharp cheddar, & some guac for good measure. Weeknight dinner perfection!
I cant wait for you to try this Grilled Barbecue Chicken recipe. Its so classic, totally easy, & Im certain that itll be a staple at your house once you master it this summer!
If you do give it a try, be sure to let me know!: Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag on . I LOVE hearing about & seeing your PWWB creations! Happy cooking!
- Total Time:12 hours
- Yield:serves 681x
- Category:Main Dishes, Chicken Recipes
- Method:Grilling & Smoking
for the grilled BBQ chicken dry rub:
You May Like: Gas Grill Boneless Chicken Breast
How Long Should You Grill Chicken Thighs
How long you should grill chicken thighs depends on whether you have bone-in or boneless chicken thighs.
Bone-in chicken thighs should be grilled for about 10 to 13 minutes, and boneless chicken thighs should be grilled for about 8 minutes.
Always make sure youre cooking on indirect heat so as not to burn the meat.
One final piece of advice for having delicious grilled chicken thighs is to think about the dry rub. I like to combine olive oil, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, kosher salt, and pepper for the best chicken thighs.
Alternatively, you can use your favorite BBQ sauce or soy sauce.
Follow the tips for checking the meat temperature, and youll have 5 stars grill cuisine in your own home.
Video Result For Chicken Breast Grill Time
Grilled Chicken Breasts | Melissa Clark Recipes | The…
How to Grill Chicken Breasts – NoRecipeRequired.com
How to Grill Crazy Juicy Chicken Breast
How to Grill Chicken Breasts on a Gas Grill | Tips & …
How to Cook the Best Grilled Chicken Breast
Chicken breast on Traeger Grill – smoke chicken…
Basic Grilled chicken breasts
How to Grill the Perfect Chicken Breast
Quick and Easy Grilled Chicken Breasts
JUICY Grilled Chicken Breast Recipe – How to Grill…
Weber Grill Boneless Chicken Breast #Webergrill…
The Best Grilled Chicken Breast
QUICK Dinner on the Gas Grill | Marinated Grilled…
Mom’s Guide to Perfect Grilled Chicken Breasts | How…
GRILLED CHICKEN BREAST | how to grill juicy boneless…
HOW TO COOK JUICY CHICKEN BREAST IN A PAN & ON THE…
Traeger Grill Cooking Chicken Breast
Summer Grilling Series: BBQ Grilled Chicken Breasts
The Perfect Grilled Chicken | Tips for Juicy, Tender…
Grill Chicken Breast on Grill Grates Fast and Easy
Honey Garlic Grilled Chicken Recipe – How to Grill…
How to Grill Chicken Breasts
Smoked Chicken Breast on the Kamado Joe
The Best Grilled Chicken Breast | SAM THE COOKING GUY…
How to Grill Chicken Breast | Portobello Mushrooms |…
How To Grill Chicken Breast On The Big Green Egg
How to Cook The Juiciest Chicken Breasts Of all Time
How to Grill the Perfect, Juicy Chicken Breast
Quick and Easy Grilled Chicken Breasts on a Pellet…
Grilled Chicken Breast on a Weber Kettle Grill
HOW TO COOK CHICKEN ON A FLAT TOP GRILL (Griddle…
Don’t Miss: How To Get Grease Off Of Driveway
How To Grill Chicken
Average Grill Temperatures And What They Mean
When a recipe says grill over medium heat, what do they mean?
If you arent familiar with the various temperature levels used in grilling, heres a handy guideline showing the average temperatures. Make sure you have a good wireless digital thermometer to check and monitor the temperature at the grill grates.
- Low heat 250-275 °F
- High 500-650 °F
- Cremation 650+ °F
Cooking chicken too fast or too hot will end up burning the skin but leaving the meat undercooked, ugh!
So, the correct chicken cooking temperature will be in medium range, to cook it long enough without burning.
Recommended Reading: Does A Traeger Grill Need Electricity
How Long Do You Grill Chicken Breast For
A boneless, skinless chicken breast usually weighs between 5 and 8 ounces. The cooking time is only 12 to 15 minutes. Turn them every 5 minutes to see that it does not burn. Its best to use a medium direct heat.
Grilling bone-in, skin on breast will take twice as long as boneless and skinless. Figure about 25 minutes.
Use indirect medium heat for the first half of the cook then finish on direct heat taking care not to burn the skin.
How Do You Make Grilled Chicken
Place your chicken breasts on your preheated grill, and close the lid. Its important to keep the lid of your grill closed while your chicken is cooking so that no heat escapes. Cook your chicken breast on the grill for 6-8 minutes on one side. After 6-8 minutes flip your chicken breast and cook for 6-8 minutes more.
Don’t Miss: How Long To Grill Chicken Thigh
How To Grill Chicken Breasts 101
I dont know about you guys, but we grill A LOT in the summer. And more often than not, its chicken. We throw in the occasional pork chop or burger, but we do chicken quite a bit. I know grilling can be intimidating for a lot of people, so I thought I would break down how you cook several different kinds of chicken this summer you can learn more about grilling chicken thighs here and grilling chicken legs here now lets talk about grilling chicken breasts!
S To Grill Chicken Thighs
Recommended Reading: Grilltastic Steam Grill Cleaner
How To Grill Chicken Breasts
Learn how easy it is to grill the best juicy chicken breasts on your backyard grill. From the preparation of the chicken, seasoning, grill temperature, how long to grill, and final internal temperature. We will cover it all along with some easy tips to get it right the first time, every time.
Does The Weight And Thickness Make A Difference In Cooking Time
When it comes to cooking a whole bird, size definitely matters. The heavier the bird, the longer it takes.
A good estimate is 18 to 25 minutes per-pound.
The heat must penetrate the skin, the meat and finally the bone before its properly cooked through. The thicker the meat, the longer it takes for the heat energy to transfer.
Read Also: Are Grill Mates Gluten Free
How Long To Cook Chicken On A Grill
Since the BBQ chicken time depends on many factors, we are here to help you understand how long grilling each part of chicken can take.
Although such time estimates are almost correct in most cases, its important to remember that the type of marination, choice of sauce, etc., are all factors that could affect your chicken grill time.
In fact, its best to make use of a thermometer to monitor the accurate internal temperature of the chicken at all times to ensure the best results.
|Part of Chicken|
|1 ½ to 2 hours|
How To Make Grilled Bbq Chicken:
- Place the chicken on the cooler side of the grill and cover.
- Cook for 30-34 minutes, or until the chicken begins to brown.
- Position the chicken in a single line close to the main burner that is still on. Brush with BBQ sauce, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Flip the chicken, brush with BBQ sauce, and cook for 5 minutes. Flip and brush chicken with BBQ two more times.
- At this point, the chicken should be crusted with the BBQ sauce and the internal temperature of the breasts should read 165 degrees F. The internal temperature of the drumsticks, thighs, and legs should read 175 degrees F. If the meat doesnt register these temperatures then close the grill and cook 5 more minutes.
- Move chicken to a serving dish and tent with foil for 5 minutes. Serve.
You May Like: Cheap Weber Grill Parts