How To Cook Zucchini Like A Japanese Hibachi Restaurant
Chefs at Japanese hibachi restaurants transform cooking into performance art by preparing your meal in front of you on a large hibachi grill. The stars of a teppanyaki dinner are usually the meat dishes prepared over an open flame, but zucchini and onions are almost always prepared as a side dish for the meal. Most restaurants make the zucchini on a teppanyaki grill, which has a flat iron surface — and you can easily re-create the dish at home with a cast iron skillet.
Ways To Use Grilled Zucchini
You can eat grilled zucchini as-is as a side dish, but I often make extra grilled zucchini to use in other recipes during the week.
- Pasta: This zucchini recipe is the perfect addition to fettuccine alfredo.
- Salad: Coarsely chop your zucchini and add it to a green salad.
- Sandwiches: Layer grilled zucchini with roasted peppers, fresh mozzarella and pesto for an amazing sandwich.
- Pizza: Chop your zucchini and add it on top of a frozen cheese pizza.
Grilled Zucchini And Squash
· This post may contain affiliate links
Grilled Zucchini and Squash is the perfect go-to side dish when grilling out. My family loves this easy recipe and we are always in abundance of zucchini and squash during the summer. I love how simple it is to make this side dish recipe and that I can prep it in no time and throw it on the grill and let it cook while the meat is cooking.
It is also nice that I cook this in a foil pocket so that means no dirty dishes for me to clean up! It is an easy recipe that you can prepare when you are camping too! I have even taken it with me to the pool for a healthy side dish with our burgers poolside. This side dish recipe is naturally gluten free which makes it nice for everyone to enjoy.
This is a healthy side dish that you can make in just a few minutes! Grilled Zucchini and Squash is the perfect go-to side dish when grilling out this summer. I love how simple it is to make this easy recipe. I hope you enjoy it all summer long like we do.
You May Like: Char-broil Grill Grates Rusted
Tips And Tricks For How To Cook Zucchini On The Stove Top
- There arent too many other tips and tricks. This is a simple recipe that amounts to heating things up in the frying pan and testing the zucchini until they are how you like them!
- If you want to make more servings then cook more zucchini about 1/2 of a zucchini per person is usually enough, it depends on how much your family likes zucchini.
- You can cook your onions cooked a little more, you can put them in the pan before the zucchini and let them get a head start. Same goes for the garlic. I put mine in together, but really, it is up to you.
- Please cook your squash in a little bit of oil/butter that is why it is in the recipe.
- The recipe is at the end of this post.
Variations: Try These Seasoning Blends
There are lots of ways to season grilled zucchini and squash! While theyre perfect with Mediterranean or Italian seasonings, there are lots of ways to think outside the box. These are especially nice if youre making a meal in the style of another cuisine. Here are some ideas:
- Cajun grilled zucchini and squash: Toss them with about 1 tablespoon Cajun Seasoning or Blackened Seasoning.
- Mexican-style zucchini and squash: Add 1 tablespoon Taco Seasoning or Fajita Seasoning.
- Ranch grilled zucchini and squash: Toss with 1 tablespoon Ranch Seasoning.
- Greek grilled zucchini and squash: Use 1 tablespoon Greek Seasoning.
You May Like: Cleaning The Outside Of A Stainless Steel Grill
How Long Do You Grill Zucchini
Zucchini will take about 10 minutes to grill on medium heat, with the grill between 350-375 degrees. This is the ideal temperature for grilling zucchini so that the zucchini doesn’t burn on the outside before it is cooked through.
For thinner sliced zucchini, like those cut into thin planks or coins, they may cook more quickly needing just 3-4 minutes per side.
Whenever you are grilling zucchini, you will want to flip it over so that you can get grill marks and that delicious charred taste on both sides.
Ways To Cut Zucchini And Squash For Grilling
How to cut zucchini and summer squash for grilling? There are a few ways we like to do it. Heres a little breakdown:
- Rounds. You can slice the zucchini and squash into 1/2-inch thick rounds.
- On the bias . If you cut diagonally or on the bias, you get larger, most interesting shapes.
- Planks. You also can cut the vegetables width-wise into long planks: see this grilled zucchini.
Don’t Miss: How To Grill Boneless Chicken Breast
Tips For Grilled Zucchini
- I like to use small zucchini that Ive cut into quarters. Cooking with larger pieces of zucchini helps to prevent it from getting mushy on the grill. If you prefer to slice your zucchini you can, just make sure the slices are at least 1/2 inch thick.
- I use dried Italian seasoning in my marinade, which is widely available in the spice aisle of most grocery stores. If you dont have Italian seasoning, you can use equal parts of dried parsley, oregano and basil.
- Fresh lemon juice is best here, do not use the kind in a bottle.
- I like to garnish my grilled zucchini with fresh herbs such as chopped parsley. If you dont have parsley on hand, other great options are fresh dill, basil or chives.
How To Cut Zucchini For The Grill
How you cut zucchini and squash for grilling can drastically affect cooking time. I slice mine into & frac13 ” – ½” medallions. A lot of people like to do ribbons, but I find the medallions both more difficult to deal with when slicing, and later while cooking the squash on the grill.
The medallions are surprisingly easy to work with! I don’t even use a grill pan or foil, although I provide instructions for using all methods below, for those who wish to do so.
Read Also: Grilling Lobster Tails Weber
What Can Become Substitute For Zucchini
Zucchini Substitutes Other Summer Squash. Other summer squashes are the most direct substitutes for zucchini, in texture and taste. Eggplant. Eggplant is similar in texture to zucchini, though slightly more flavorful. Cucumbers. If you like zucchini as a raw vegetable, another potential substitute is cucumbers.
How Long Does It Take To Pan Fry Zucchini
Zucchini cooks in almost no time at all and it is virtually impossible to undercook it. That said, it is quite possible to over cook it. Overcooked zucchini is soft and mushy, so stop cooking before you get to that point. A couple of minutes in a hot frying pan is enough for fresh zucchini and HOW TO COOK ZUCCHINI ON THE STOVE TOP.
Also Check: How To Clean Porcelain Grill Grates Char Broil
Grill Your Side Dishes
But what about if you grilled your side dish?! It turns out, it’s easy and delicious!
I’ve been making this marinated zucchini and summer squash from Giada for years and years. It’s in her Family Dinners Cookbook which was published in 2006, so that’s how long I’ve been making it!
What Youll Need:
You need two ingredients for this recipeif you dont count salt and pepper! Squash and butter. As usual, Im going to give you suggestions for using other ingredients too. Just know that most of the time we keep it really simple and just use zucchini , butter, salt, and pepper.
- I like using a combination of zucchini and yellow squash.
- I always use butter because you really cant beat the flavor! Try this herb butter to add extra flavor! You can use canola oil or olive oil to keep it vegan if youd like.
- I like to keep the seasonings really simple. I use season salt and black pepper. Steak seasoning is great too.
- Feel free to add other veggies if you want. I love diced onions. Tomatoes and mushrooms are both popular options too.
- Minced garlic is fantastic.
- Fresh or dried herbs can be added. I like parsley, thyme, and rosemary.
- Parmesan cheese is always a great addition.
You May Like: Pit Boss Pro Series Ii Portable 150 Wood Pellet Grill
How To Make It:
STEP 1:Cut zucchini and yellow summer squash into slices about 1/4 inch thick. If you prefer you can cut them into wedges. I like slices better because theyll cook faster. Either way, be sure to cut them so they are about the same size so theyll cook evenly. You dont need to worry about peeling them first.
STEP 2:Place vegetables on a piece of aluminum foil. If you want to add eggplant, tomatoes, onions, etc. this is the time to do it. Youll want to use a piece of foil thats big enough for the vegetables to kind of spread out. I dont like them to be more than about 3-4 layers of veggies.
STEP 3: Cut 2 Tablespoons of butter into three or four pieces and set butter pieces on top of zucchini. Sprinkle with seasonings.
STEP 4: Bring the edges of foil together and fold over three times to seal the packet. I usually use one big piece of foil and bring the sides up and fold together. Today, I used two pieces of foil Either way works. Just make sure its sealed tightly.
STEP 5: Cook foil pack on the grill. This recipe is really versatile so the cooking temperature and time can vary. And you can cook them until the squash is tender/crisp or well cooked. We like it cooked until its pretty soft. I always cook the packets right along with my meat at whatever temperature the meat is cooking. Youll need to adjust cook time if the zucchini is cut in bigger chunks. Here are a few suggestions on cook time, but remember all the factors we just talked about!
How To Grill Zucchini And Squash
Now, lets get to the grilling! All you need to know is the grill temperature and basic timing. Once youve got that down, memorize this recipe and make it on repeat! Here are the basic steps :
- Preheat a grill to medium high heat. Thats about 375 to 450 degrees.
- Cut the zucchini and summer squash into rounds or on the bias. Make the pieces about 1/2-inch thick.
- Toss with olive oil and seasonings. See the recipe below adjust as necessary if you have more or less quantity of vegetables.
- Grill on the grates for 4 to 6 minutes. Cook until charred and tender, turning once.
Also Check: Do Traeger Grills Need Electricity
What To Serve With Grilled Squash And Zucchini
- Smoked Beef Ribs | These tender beef ribs are made on the pellet grill as well. These ribs are cooked low and slow for that ultimate flavor that you will be dreaming about for days.
- Million Dollar BLT | Want something simple? Try this Million Dollar BLT. I spill ALL the tips and tricks to the best BLT you will ever eat.
- Traeger Smoked Meatloaf | Have you ever tried meatloaf on the grill? If you say no, this needs to pop up to the top of your list to try. This isnt your grandmas recipe!
- Beer Can Chicken | Juicy, tender chicken that is bursting with flavor. I know the concept might sound strange, but trust me it works. WELL! Give this recipe a try and make up the veggies to pair next to it.
Grilled Zucchini And Squash Recipe
Looking for an easy recipe to use up that summer zucchini or squash? Best Grilled Zucchini and Squash uses a handful of staple kitchen ingredients for a marinade, cooks on the grill in minutes, and is topped with fresh lemon and parmesan.
This grilled zucchini and squash recipe also includes directions on how to adapt for oven roasting as well.
During the summer months, my number one mission turns into find any way to use up all our garden zucchini and squash. Since it shows up at pretty much every breakfast, lunch, and dinner, I have to find creative ways to trick my family into thinking they arent eating the same vegetable over and over again.
Breakfast consists of Blueberry Zucchini Bread, at lunch we have leftover grilled zucchini salads, dinner is served with a side of grilled zucchini, zucchini fries, or zucchini pancakes, and for dessert we nosh on fudgy zucchini brownies.
Either Im taking it a tad bit too far, or I might just be a zucchini recipe guru?
A grilled zucchini recipe should be easy, quick, yet delicious. The marinade and seasoning uses commonly stocked ingredients olive oil, garlic, Italian seasoning, lemon, and parmesan. Therefore its as easy as picking some fresh zucchini or squash from the garden or your local farmstand.
Recommended Reading: Stainless Steel Cleaner For Grills
How Do You Cook Zucchini On A Weber Grill
First, take a zucchini and slice it into lengthwise sections, no more than a ¼ in thickness. Next, rub both sides of the zucchini slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and your choice of fresh herbs. Lastly, grill the zucchini over direct medium heat approximately 2 minutes a side, turning once.
Should Squash Be Peeled Before Grilling
Preparing Squash for Grilling Summer squash should not be washed until you are ready to use it. Because of its soft skin, the summer squash does not need to be peeled. Some summer squash is not suitable for grilling because of its water content. Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds with a spoon.
Read Also: Who Sells Propane Tanks For Grills
How Thick Should I Cut The Zucchini
Zucchini should be cut lengthwise in quarter inch long slices. The best way to do this is to place the zucchini on it’s side and take a sharp knife and cut all the way down the length of the zucchini making 4-5 slices per one zucchini. Ive found that this is the best thickness to make sure it grills through in about 6 minutes.
Time To Make Grilled Zucchini Or Summer Squash
- 1 ½ pounds of summer squash, trimmed and sliced lengthwise in 1/2 strips
- 2 tablespoons of virgin red palm oil or extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Handful of basil leaves, cut in chiffonade
- All of my recommended kitchen tools are listed here.
I lay the squash slices on a foil-lined baking sheet and brushed both sides with the palm oil. Then, I seasoned liberally with salt and pepper.
I cooked the squash on the gas grill set on medium heat
for about 8-10 minutes total.
Before serving, I drizzled on the vinegar and sprinkled on the basil.
Now you know what do with that mountain of zucchini youll have this summer!
Looking for more recipe ideas? Head on over to my Recipe Index. Youll also find exclusive recipes on my iPhone and iPad app, and in my cookbooks, Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans , Ready or Not! , and Nom Nom Paleo: Lets Go! .
Recommended Reading: Why Did Mcdonald’s Get Rid Of Grilled Chicken
Know The Healthiest Ways To Eat Zucchini
Skipping the oil and cheese is going to be the healthiest way to enjoy zucchini. Luckily, we have an air-fryer zucchini recipe that doesnt use oil if youre trying to cut calories.
Substituting zucchini into other recipes can also make your meals a lot healthier, too. Make pasta dishes a lot less carb-heavy by using spiralized zucchini instead of regular pasta. Slip zucchini into baked goods for some additional nutrientsand if you grate the zucchini beforehand you might not even notice its there.
Did you know you can eat zucchini flowers, too? Theyre full of vitamins and minerals, and there are lots of ways to cook with them, whether you stuff or fry them.
Vegetarian: The Best Way To Grill Zucchini
Now that we’re at the height of summer it’s only logical to take a break from the oven and have a brief summer fling with that sleeker, sexier, more exotic cooking vessel: the outdoor grill. It’s a particularly good tool for vegetables, which, at their best, come off sweet and charred, intensely flavorful and smoky. I like roasted zucchini, but I like grilled zucchini even better.
Zucchini and squash can be watery and bland. When done right, the grill fixes these problems: the flesh softens and gets infused with smoky flavor, the exterior becomes burnished, and moisture is evaporated, intensifying flavor. Though I often grill up platters of zucchini without really thinking too hard about itslice zucchini, brush it with oil, season it and grill itthis summer I wanted to break down the process a bit and see if I couldn’t find a tastier version.
I headed out to the store and picked up an armful of summer squash: green, yellow, and light green. To start, I cut them in different ways to see if a particular shape would take better to grilling: lengthwise planks, disks, and lengthwise quarters . Some, I salted and let sit for an hour, to see if draining some moisture would result in a tastier product others I marinated in a simple vinaigrette still others I didn’t oil before grilling, to see if the oil is truly necessary and the rest I just oiled, salted and grilled as usual.
You May Like: How Long To Cook Salmon Burgers On George Foreman Grill