Best Chicken Marinade Recipe
Years ago, we made grilled chicken legs using this marinade when my sister-in-law Karen, her husband Todd, and their three boys were on an RV trip with us. I knew that our son loved it and hoped that their boys would as well. We wont even talk about how much chicken we got all of the kids to eatso lets just say they loved it as much if not even more than Id hoped!
In all seriousness, Ive not fed anyone chicken made with this marinade that hasnt loved it.
The Best Chicken Marinade
The best Chicken Marinade ever! This marinade produces so much flavor and keeps the chicken incredibly moist and outrageously delicious! This easy chicken marinade recipe is sure to become a staple in your kitchen. Great for grilling and baking!
How Long To Marinate Chicken
- Typically, I find that marinating chicken between 5 to 6 hours is ideal for both texture and taste.
- I dont recommend keeping chicken in a marinade with citrus juice or vinegar for more than 6 hours, as its texture declines from there. After 12 hours, the meat may even start to break down.
- Chicken can rest in a buttermilk/yogurt marinade for up to 24 hours. So, this is the best choice for those who want an overnight chicken marinade.
Don’t Miss: How Do I Cook Pork Chops On The Grill
Chicken Marinade Is Not Only For Grilling:
We use marinades for multiple ways of cooking chicken. You can marinade your chicken and toss it in the crock pot or even do bake chicken
We love to marinate chicken in a fajita seasoning blend and make sheet pan fajitas. They turn out so good and only one pan for clean up.
We also love to make a stir fry with the marinated chicken. It taste so much better than take out and I know exactly the ingredients that have been added.
What You Need For This Bbq Chicken Marinade
All you need is 7 ingredients for this perfect BBQ chicken marinade. Youll need to round up:
- BBQ sauce: Any kind will do! Grab your favorite BBQ sauce or whatever you have on hand in the fridge.
- Olive oil: The perfect amount of olive oil will help keep this chicken moist and delicious during the marinating and cooking process.
- Smoked paprika: Smoked paprika gives this marinade a delicious smokey flavor.
- Chili powder: Give your BBQ marinade a little savory kick!
- Garlic cloves: Dont skimp on the garlic, friends! We keep a tube of minced garlic in the fridge at all times.
- Salt and pepper: So simple, but adds such great flavor!
You May Like: How Do You Grill Pizza
Barbecue Grilled Chicken Tips & Tricks
- Please trust me and try the bone-in and skin on chicken. You are going to consider boneless. skinless chicken breast to be dry shoe leather compared to this.
- How long can I marinate the chicken?According to the USDA, chicken can be marinated for up to 2 days safely.
- Can I use skinless, boneless chicken breasts? Yes, you can and it will still be delicious. I know that there are some of you that love skinless and boneless chicken better, so don’t let me stop you!
- Usually cooking chicken on the top rack of your grill to prevent flare-ups is a good idea, but we have a double grate system, so we turn on the OPPOSITE SIDE of the BBQ for heat. This helps to prevent burning!
Fast & Easy Grilled Chicken Marinade
This was thrown together because I didn’t quite have enough BBQ sauce to cover 4 chicken breasts and the subsequent basting while barbecuing. I emptied my bottle of basic chicken & ribs BBQ sauce and proceeded to make a marinade with the scant amount that I had left. This is actually far nicer than using just a BBQ sauce and to be honest, BBQ sauce has been my least favourite thing to use on meat when grilling it. Until now, that is. By turning some ready-made sauce into a marinade with some other ingredients it’s literally the best of both worlds. You thin out what I consider to be too much flavour and thickness with bottled BBQ sauces and instead reap the benefits of the flavour while turning it into something you can marinate your chicken in for the day.
Another tip? in the marinade like shown in the photo below to really get the flavour into the meat and skin.
Don’t Miss: What Is Kamado Style Grill
To Cook Chicken On The Stove
Best Grilled Chicken Marinade
The best Grilled Chicken Marinade for tender, juicy, incredibly flavorful chicken with gorgeous color. Elevate your next summer BBQ with this easy chicken marinade recipe.
This is hands down, no contest, my favorite grilled chicken marinade recipe. In addition to amazing flavor, it imparts a beautiful, rich golden hue to the chicken as it grills. Its one of my oldest go-to summer grilling recipes and it has stood the test of time.
It takes just minutes to whip up this flavorful chicken marinade and the result is absolutely heavenly. When Im low on inspiration, its an effortless choice for a delicious summer meal. Plus, leftovers of this grilled chicken cold from the fridge are SO good!
Don’t Miss: Does Mcdonald’s Sell Grilled Chicken Sandwiches
Honey Sriracha Chicken Marinade
This recipe swears that the secret to achieving the perfect Asian flavors is to have a balance of sweet, spicy, salty and sour flavors. This chicken marinade is definitely not lacking in any of those components and has an abundance of flavor.
This marinade recipe is very easy and only requires 4 simple ingredients, all of which you might have on hand already. The sriracha provides a perfect bite, the honey provides enough sweet, and soy sauce and rice vinegar helps to give it a tender balance of Asian cuisine.
https://rasamalaysia.com/honey-sriracha-chicken/2/ PHOTOS AND RECIPE HERE: RASAMALAYSIA
What To Serve With Your Bbq Marinade Grilled Chicken
- If you are hesitant to make potato salad because its time consuming try this easy Instant Pot Potato Salad thats packed with as much flavor as the traditional version.
- Have fresh green beans out of the garden? Wrap them in bacon and make these delicious Green Bean Bundles!
- Make the ultimate summer dessert to pair it with. No one can ever turn down a scoop of homemade Cookie Dough Ice Cream!
Read Also: What Are The Best Smoker Grills
How Much Chicken Will This Recipe Make
This recipe will marinate 1 ½ pounds of chicken, however, it is easy to scale up or down to suite your needs. 4 oz. of chicken is the recommended single serving portion of chicken, but this varies depending on the individual and what sides are being served. I would say 6-8 ounces is closer to realistic.
How To Make Grilled Chicken Marinade:
- Mix together Marinade Ingredients Stir together all the ingredients except for the chicken breasts in a bowl.
- Pour marinade over chicken Place the chicken breasts in a large ziplock bag or a bowl. Pour the marinade over the chicken.
- Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Prepare Grill Then preheat the grill to medium heat about 350 degrees. Gently brush the grates of the grill with the oil to prevent the chicken from sticking.
- Grill Chicken on Grill Place the chicken on the grill. Cook for 5-7 minutes per side until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Serve and Enjoy Then remove the chicken from the grill, let the chicken rest for 5 minutes. Slice your chicken and enjoy.
Recommended Reading: Where To Buy Pellets For Grill
Faq For The Best Bbq Chicken Marinade
What should the internal temperature of grilled chicken be?
The internal temperature of cooked chicken should be 165 degrees F. We recommend using an instant read thermometer to monitor the temperature of your chicken. Its easy to use and inexpensive! Make sure to insert the thermometer probe into the thickest part of the chicken breast.
Should you marinate chicken before BBQ?
Its not a requirement but using a chicken marinade before you BBQ chicken can help give you chicken that is juicy and has a ton of flavor. A marinade can work in as little as 30 minutes, or you can prep it ahead of time and let chicken marinate for up to a few days ahead of time.
How long should you marinate chicken?
Usually 2 hours is long enough for the chicken to soak up the flavor of your BBQ marinade, but you can leave your chicken in the marinade in the refrigerator for up to two days.
Do I need to flip the chicken in the marinade?
For best results flip the bag over while marinating or if its in a container flip the chicken over.
Can I freeze chicken in this marinade?
Yes! Simply place the chicken into a freezer-safe bag and pour the prepared marinade over the top of it. Toss the chicken to make sure its coated and then squeeze the air out of the bag. Place it in the freezer for up to three months. When you are ready to use the chicken remove from the freezer and thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Then grill your chicken according to the directions!
Can I cook this in the oven?
How To Grill Chicken Breast Without Drying It Out
As with any method of chicken breast preparation , a few simple but critical steps will ensure your grilled chicken breast turns out juicy, moist, and well-seasoned all the way through.
To grill chicken breast without drying it out, be sure to follow these essential tips.
- . Marinades tenderize meat by changing its protein structure which helps it stay juicier for longer. Even 15 minutes can make a major difference in results.
- Pound. Pounding the chicken to an even thickness helps it cook more evenly on the grill so that the ends dont dry out before the center cooks through.
- Poke. While not strictly required, I like to poke holes all over my chicken breast with a fork to help the marinade absorb more quickly.
- Temp It. No matter what other careful steps you take to keep your chicken from becoming dry, NOTHING saves you if you overcook it. For best results, remove the chicken when it reaches the 155 to 160-degree F mark.
- Rest. No matter what kind of meat you are grilling , allowing it to rest is mandatory. Resting allows the juices to reincorporate into the protein. If you cut it right away, those yummy juices will escape onto the plate.
How Long To Grill Chicken Breast
The amount of time you need to grill juicy chicken breasts will vary based on the size of the breast and how thinly you pound it.
- Small Chicken Breasts : 7 to 8 minutes
- Medium Chicken Breasts : 8 to 12 minutes
- Large Chicken Breasts : 14 minutes or longer
In a hurry? Try making Grilled Chicken Tenders, which cook in about 6 minutes.
- Chicken Marinade. No matter which marinade you choose , its critical to create the juiciest and most flavorful chicken breast. You can also simply combine olive oil, lemon juice, kosher salt, and any of your favorite spices and herbs: paprika, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, and rosemary are all excellent choices.
Barbecue Grilled Chicken Marinade
Need a fast and easy Barbecue Grilled Chicken Marinade that uses ingredients that you have in your cupboard? Look no further, this is the chicken marinade for you! It uses the convenience of bottled BBQ sauce that is then amped up with simple ingredients that you already have at home to make one delicious dinner! This is for those of you that love barbecue sauce chicken but are looking to spice it up!
How To Check Temperature Correctly
To make sure your chicken is thoroughly cooked, it is important to have a meat thermometer. Use a meat thermometer to check to see if you chicken is done. This is the best method instead of slicing it to see if it is pink.
You meat thermometer should show an internal temperature of 165 degrees. This will ensure your chicken is done.
How Long Do You Marinate Chicken For
Once the marinade is combined, place the chicken in the marinade for at least 1 hour. If you plan to marinate for longer than 2 hours, wait to add the acids until the last hour or so.
PRO TIP: Don not reuse leftover marinade. If youd like to baste the chicken in the marinade as it cooks , be sure to reserve some of the marinating liquid BEFORE adding the meat. Any marinade that is leftover from the meat should be discarded.
Also Check: Who Makes Cabelas Pellet Grills
Skinless Or Skin On Chicken Breast Boneless Or Bone In Chicken Breasts
Ok, while I can never ever get the skin to really stay on and not stick, I always try to use bone-in, skin on chicken breasts. The skin is going to give you some much needed added fat to your chicken while you are grilling it. Once the skin starts to shrink smaller, you then baste the top of the chicken again to keep it moist and seal in the juices. Why bone in chicken breast? That layer of gristle and bone helps to keep the chicken juicy, my friends. Think of it : the skin helps seal it at the top, followed by the sauce and the bones help to seal in the juices from the bottom. I get CRAZY tender, juicy chicken breasts when we use bone-in chicken breasts. When you grill, bone-in is the best. Try it and you’ll see your love of grilled chicken is going to jump a level!
How To Grill Bbq Chicken:
Grilling BBQ chicken is really simple, but doing it the right way requires a little bit of technique. This recipe utilizes a quick brine, a flavorful dry rub, & indirect grilling, a simple combination that yields perfectly tender, juicy, & flavorful BBQ chicken every time. Youll be making the absolute best BBQ chicken on the grill in no time!
Note: full Recipe Directions are provided in the Recipe Card, below.
#1 Start with an easy grilled BBQ chicken marinade.
Before you panic about the need to mix up a complicated marinade for your chicken, let me assure you were keeping things really minimal here. This grilled BBQ chicken marinade is actually a simple brine!
Because chicken is pretty lean, marinating or brining it before you barbecue it is key. A quick brine will help ensure your grilled barbecue chicken stays totally juicy & doesnt dry out on the grill.
2 brine options:
- Beer brine: Even if youre not a beer lover , soaking chicken in beer adds an incredibly rich, deep flavor to the chicken. Its my favorite grilled chicken trick. For best flavor, use a full-bodied, dry & hoppy beer, such as an IPA.
- Buttermilk brine: If beer isnt your thing , you can use buttermilk, which is totally classic & has the added benefit of tenderizing the chicken. If you dont have buttermilk on hand, you can DIY it by adding a splash of vinegar or lemon juice to regular ol milk.
#2 Layer on the best grilled BBQ chicken rub.
#3 Get grilling!
Grilling BBQ Chicken:
Read Also: Are Char Broil Grills Good
Southern Thai Tumeric Chicken
The lesser known but equally delicious Thai Tumeric Chicken! I was hunting for this recipe for years and years after I sampled it in Thailand.
Ingredients: garlic, fish sauce, oyster sauce, turmeric, fresh coriander/cilantro, sugar, pepper
Ideal for: Bone in thighs, also skinless boneless chicken thighs and chicken breast.
What Goes With Marinated Grilled Chicken
This marinated grilled chicken pairs well with pretty much everything from salad to pasta salad, potatoes, rice and fruit. In the summer months, we keep it as simple as grilled chicken with grilled corn, watermelon and green salad. In the winter, I love it with garlic butter mashed potatoes and roasted asparagus. Here are a few of our favorite accompanying sides:
Read Also: How To Clean Your Gas Grill
Grilled Chicken Recipes To Make This Summer
The best grilled chicken recipes go hand in hand with summer. Picture your first backyard party of the season: flavorful chicken is charring on the grates, your cooler is stocked with adult beverages, your friends are awkwardly transitioning from sneakers to sandalswe can almost feel the sun on our skin as we daydream in front of our computers. Lets make it a reality, though, shall we? From coconut-milk-and-chili-paste-marinated thighs to charred drumsticks glazed in a savory caramel sauce to the ultimate hot sandwich, these recipes for grilled chicken will keep your barbecue working hard from Memorial Day through Labor Day . So make sure you have the right tools and get grilling.