How Do You Grill Chicken Breasts Without Drying It Out
The key is to cook on direct heat for the first 8-10 minutes , but then switch to indirect heat for the last 5-7 minutes. ALSO do not leave it on the grill until it reaches an internal temp of 165 remove it from the grill when it is around 160 and then let it rest off the grill. As it rests, it will continue to cook and the temp can continue to rise nearly 10 degrees! So imagine if you did leave it on the grill until it reached 165? It would continue to cook and might reach 175 before you eat it! It would be over-cooked and dry.
What To Serve With Grilled Chicken
Grilled chicken is a healthy, delicious main course to serve by itself-but there are tons of ways to dress it up, too. You can put grilled chicken in just about anything: sliced on top of salads, stuffed into sandwiches, shredded for chicken soups or skewered on a kabob. Or top the dish off with a heaping pile of grilled veggies and youve got yourself dinner!
What To Do With Leftover Grilled Chicken
I like to dice all the leftover chicken and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. That makes it easy to plug straight into future repurpose recipes.
If you make a classic BBQ grilled chicken, you could make BBQ Chicken Mac and Cheese, BBQ Chicken Quesadillas, or swap the pork in our Pulled Pork Grilled Cheese for chicken. You could also swap the brisket in our Brisket Fried Rice for this chicken, considering its a Texas-inspired fried rice.
All right, I think Ive filled your head with plenty of ideas by this point. If you have a question about making Traeger grilled chicken breast I havent covered, leave a comment below. And be sure to let us know your thoughts in a review once you give it a try!
Also Check: What Temperature Do You Grill Pork Chops To
How To Grill Chicken Legs Drummies
How long to cook drumsticks?
Place your chicken on the preheated grill and cook with the lid closed for 30 to 35 minutes, flipping every 5 minutes.
Maintain your grill temp around 400 degrees throughout the entire cook. Its fine if it fluctuates, they always do.
Internal temp of the meat is the most important thing.
How Long To Grill Chicken
The cook times will vary based on the size of the chicken. Make sure to use a meat thermometer to ensure that the chicken is cooked to the correct temperature.
When preparing your chicken for grilling, you want to make sure that each chicken breast about the same size. You may have need to filet you chicken or pound it to thin it out.
Recommended Reading: Where Are Napoleon Grills Made
How To Grill Chicken Thighs: Time
With the grill hot and ready and the chicken seasoned and prepped, grill the thighs over direct medium heat. Boneless chicken thighs take about 8 minutes, while the cooking time for bone-in thighs is 10-14 minutes. Use a meat thermometer by placing it in the thickest part of your thigh to test doneness. Once the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees, remove the chicken from the grill and allow it to rest for five minutes before serving.
How To Grill Chicken Breast
Learn how to grill chicken breast on a gas grill. Guaranteed tender and moist grilled chicken breast with perfect sear marks, every timejust a few simple steps needed. Plus youll learn about a gas grill that makes grilled chicken breast even easier.
This post is sponsored by Everywhere Agency on behalf of Char-Broil. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.
You May Like: What Temp Should You Grill Pork Chops
How To Grill Chicken:
1. Preheat the grill on high for 10-15 minutes, then use your grill brush to scrape any previous remnants off your grates.
2. the fully thawed chicken breasts. A clean and easy way to marinate the chicken is to place it in a large plastic zip top bag, add your marinade and make sure your entire chicken breast is covered. In this particular instance, I used olive oil and added a few fresh basil leaves.
3. Here’s how long to grill chicken on a gas grill. Once you have preheated your grill for 10-15 minutes, prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat at 425-450°F and get your iGrill probes inserted into the chicken.
4. Place marinated chicken breasts on grill over direct medium heat.
Does The Weight And Thickness Make A Difference In Cooking Time
When it comes to cooking a whole bird, size definitely matters. The heavier the bird, the longer it takes.
A good estimate is 18 to 25 minutes per-pound.
The heat must penetrate the skin, the meat and finally the bone before its properly cooked through. The thicker the meat, the longer it takes for the heat energy to transfer.
Don’t Miss: Convert Gas Grill To Propane
How Long To Grill Chicken Breasts
According to the USDA, all poultry should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Using an instant-read meat thermometer is really the only accurate way to gauge your chicken’s doneness. But in the case that you don’t have a thermometer, cut into the chicken and ensure that the juices run clear. Here are the estimated grilling times for chicken breasts, based on an internal temp of 165 degrees F.
- Boneless chicken breasts: 7 to 8 minutes per side
- Bone-in chicken breasts: 15 minutes per side
Cuts Of Chicken For Grilling
In our kitchen, were most commonly making grilled chicken breasts, but you can grill every cut of chicken. They all serve a unique purpose.
- Breast: it doesnt get much better than a perfectly grilled chicken breast! Chicken breast is lean and perfect for topping salads with.
- Legs: having a party? Go chicken legs! Why? Theyre super flavorful, inexpensive, and easy to grill! Try our famous Grilled Chicken Legs recipe.
- Thighs: my personal favorite cut of chicken to grill is chicken thighs. You can get the skin nice and crispy while keeping the meat juicy and delish.
- Wings: game day? Try grilling your chicken wings for easy clean-up! You can use our dry rub or buffalo chicken wing recipes, but grill them instead!
- Whole chicken: a whole chicken?! Thats right! You can grill an entire chicken and its easier than you think. Try our grilled beer butt chicken for starters!
Read Also: Macaroni Grill Wolf Road
How Can You Tell When Grilled Chicken Breast Is Done Without A Thermometer
The safest, and only foolproof, way to check if chicken is done cooking is with a meat thermometer.
If you dont have a meat thermometer, you can test doneness by cutting into the thickest part of the chicken. If the meat is completely white and the juices run clear, the chicken should be done cooking. However, this can cause your chicken to dry out and doesnt prevent overcooking the chicken.
Now that you know how to grill chicken breasts, check out our best grilled chicken recipes.
Prepare With A Meat Pounder
With a rolling pen or meat pounder, gently pound the chicken on a counter or table surface. Do this until theyre about half an inch thick across the breast. Do this for each breast.
Why do we do this? Well like with a lot of cooking methods, one of grillings biggest challenges is cooking meat evenly through. If we make our meat uniform in thickness then we help prevent the issue, while also making it easier to eat and cut.
Also Check: What Temp To Grill Pork Chops On Gas Grill
How To Grill Chicken Perfectly
This post may contain affiliate links.
Learn how to grill chicken perfectly by pre-cooking in the oven before hitting the grill. That way, you know its fully cooked and juicy so you can relax and enjoy your guests without worrying about feeding them under-cooked or dry chicken.
Recently I found a way to make grilled chicken foolproof. What do I mean? I mean, its a way of grilling chicken where you know for sure that the meat is cooked through, and you know for sure that it is tender and juicy, definitely not dry.
This method is great for if youre having friends over because you can do most of it ahead of time. You can also make a big batch so if youve got a lot of friends, this recipes for you!
Choose Skinless Organic Chicken Breast
Chicken breasts boneless meat makes it easy to cook, and goes brilliantly either just as a side or as part of a burger. It is true that the larger the food, the longer it will take to cook, however I think that give so much more flexibility with what you actually use them for.
When it comes to picking your breast, try to pick organic. Not only are there clear ethical reasons behind buying organic chicken meat, but organic meat is always far superior in quality.
Organic chicken meat often has a far better texture and quality of taste than non-organic varieties.
Also try to buy skinless. The meat in chicken breast is generally very lean, but the skin can contain layers of fat that can render and turn greasy when cooked on the grill.
Recommended Reading: Grilled Shrimp Temp And Time
How To Grill Chicken Thighs: Temperature
When the chicken is ready to cook, preheat the grill for medium heat. If you’re using boneless skinless chicken thighs, your target temperature is 400 degrees. Add a little more boost of heat to 450 degrees for bone-in thighs. Ensure the grill grates are clean to keep the chicken from being contaminated with old, charred food debris.
How To Make A Marinade For Grilled Chicken Breasts
A marinade is the perfect way to add flavor to grilled chicken . I try to allow for 30 minutes or more if possible! There are a few essential ingredients in a marinade.
- Oil: Most often the base of marinades.
- Acid: This helps tenderize the meat by breaking down tougher proteins
- Sugar: Helps with flavor and the caramelization process. .
- Seasonings: This is the flavor profile, you can use anything from Italian seasoning to curry powder to season your marinade. This may or may not include salt.
- Time: Give yourself time to allow your meat to marinade. The purpose of the marinade is not only to add flavor but to help tenderize your meat.
How Long to Marinate Chicken
Allow chicken to marinate 30 min to 4hrs. This allows enough time for the marinade to work its magic and add flavor while tenderizing the meat.
Longer than 4 hours can change the texture of the chicken making it mushy.
I love making grilled chicken breasts in large batches to put on top of salads, in weekly meal prep, into quick pasta dishes, or even into chicken noodle soup! It goes so well with just about anything.
Also Check: Grilled Burgers On Traeger
Tips For How To Grill Chicken Without Drying It Out
Grilled chicken is an incredibly versatile food. I am a huge fan of the flavor and protein boost that grilled chicken can add to just about any meal, from salad to stir fry to sandwiches, creating an incredible meal.
However, theres an issue with grilled chicken: its often incredibly dry. Overdry, stringy chicken is far from incrediblemore like barely edible. Not exactly the stuff of culinary dreams.
Luckily, attaining perfectly moist, evenly cooked, flavorful grilled chicken is within reach for chefs at any level. By following some simple kitchen wisdom in the ways of grilling chicken, youll be guaranteed great results every time.
14 Tips for How to Grill Chicken without Drying It Out. Armed with these 14 simple tips, youll be well on your way to concocting perfectly moist grilled chicken dishes.
Buy the best chicken you can, from a trusted and ideally local source. The better the quality of the chicken you start with, the better the quality of your finished results. This guide is a helpful resource on how to buy the best chicken.
How Do You Grill Chicken Without Burning It
5 Pro Tips for Grilled Chicken
You May Like: Rat Droppings In Grill
Use Oil With A High Smoking
You need to oil your grates before cooking, which is also known as seasoning your grill.
You should use an oil with a high smoking point, which will last much longer on your grill. This will also keep the chicken from sticking to the surface.
When seasoning your grill, use an oil with a smoking point above 400ºF. Refined Canola oil, palm oils, and most sunflower corn oils have a high smoking point above 400ºF .
If youre using the cooking oil on hot grates, take two sheets of paper towel and scrunch them into a ball. You will then want to dip them in the oil using long tongs. Once you have done that, rub the paper towels onto the grates, ensuring the entire surface is covered with olive oil.
Grilled Chicken Salad Tips:
- If you prefer you can marinate your chicken overnight or up to 8 hours.
- Make this Salad Year Round You can easily make this salad year round especially if you have an indoor grill.
- Make Chicken in Advance If you are planning on making this meal during the week, plan ahead and make grill the chicken up to 2 days in advance. This makes this recipe even easier.
- Hot Grill Make sure your grill is hot. Cooking chicken on a hot grill helps to keep them juicy.
- Same Size Chicken When preparing your chicken, make sure that they are all even thickness. This makes sure they are evenly cooked.
- Allow Chicken to rest After chicken is done cooking, make sure you allow chicken to rest. This locks in the juices and the flavoring.
Recommended Reading: How To Clean A Stainless Steel Grill
Is Organic Chicken Better When Grilling Chicken Breast
When it comes to cooking chicken breasts, there is no difference between organic and non-organic chicken. Organic means that the birds are raised without pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, additives or animal by-products, and have access to the outdoors. But, it doesnt necessarily mean that the chicken is healthier for you, tastes better or will cook better. Heres more on how to read the labels on a pack of chicken.
Can I Substitute Table Salt In The Brine
We don’t recommend using table salt in this brine. There’s a big difference between the size of kosher salt flakes and table salt grains. Using table salt will add much more salt to this brine recipe, and the chicken will come out too salty.
If table salt is all you have, use 1 1/2 tablespoons of table salt in this recipe. You can also use 1 1/2 tablespoons of fine sea salt.
Recommended Reading: Does Closing The Grill Make It Hotter
Cooking Temperatures Thermometers And Food Safety
When it comes to checking the temperature of cooked chicken nothing can replace a quality digital, instant-read thermometer. They are highly accurate, fast and reliable.
I will touch on other methods to check for doneness if you dont have one, but nothing is better or safer. I STRONGLY recommend you have an instant-read digital thermometer before you cook your first piece of chicken! if you dont have one, check out our guide to the best instant-read thermometers.
Now that you have a thermometer in hand, you need to know the temperature of a properly cooked piece of chicken.
How Long To Grill Chicken Breast
This answer can fluctuate depending on how hot your grill gets and the thickness of your chicken breasts.
In this grilled chicken breast recipe, I dont pound my chicken out unless it is extremely thick in some parts and thin in other parts. Once your chicken breasts are marinated, place them on the grill. Cook them for 7-8 minutes on each side, not lifting during the cooking process
Flip your chicken and cook for an additional 7-8 minutes, or until a meat thermometer inserted into the largest part of the chicken breast reads 165°F.
It is important to allow your chicken to rest about 3-5 minutes before cutting to keep it juicy . Serve with your favorite sides, and preferably on a patio with a big pitcher of Easy White Sangria!
Also Check: Grilling Temp For Pork Chops
Tips For Grilling Chicken Breasts
- Pound to even thickness: Pounding the boneless, skinless breasts to an even thickness will help the meat cook more evenly, so you don’t have the extremes of raw and dry.
- Marinate the chicken in an acidic marinade made with lime juice. It’s almost like using buttermilk, but lime flavored. The acid helps tenderize the meat for grilling.
- Work with chilled meat: Since the chicken breasts have been formed into rather thin cutlets, take them directly from the refrigerator to the grill. That way, they don’t overcook in the time it takes to get nice grill marks on them.