Ways To Serve Your Asparagus
There are so many different ways to use your grilled asparagus. Below, find a couple of options.
- Alongside Protein: Pair the asparagus with a grilled ribeye, 5-minute grilled chicken, or pork kabobs for a quick low-carb meal.
- Salads: Chop and chill the asparagus and add it to your favorite salads throughout the week.
- Pastas: Slice up the asparagus and add it to alfredo pasta.
- Soups: Dice the asparagus and add it into minestrone soup for a smokey kick.
Hot Tip: Spruce up your asparagus by topping it with parmesan cheese or feta cheese right when it comes off the grill. Then, sprinkle on some roasted pine nuts or almonds for a nice nutty crunch.
Ingredients To Make Grilled Asparagus Parmesan
- Fresh Asparagus – Asparagus can be found in most grocery stores year-round and can also be found at your local farmers’ market when it’s in season from February until June.
- Grated Parmesan Cheese – This classic cheese pairs well with asparagus giving it a salty bite and a nice cheesy flavor.
- Lemon Zest – Goes great with any green vegetable as the citrus acidity helps cut down on any bitterness.
- Olive Oil – This helps the asparagus cook and helps the seasonings stick.
- Seasonings – Youll need a bit of salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste and help enhance the flavors of the grilled asparagus.
Faqs About Grilled Asparagus
Read Also: How Long To Grill Salmon On Cedar Plank
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Five ingredient, under thirty minute recipe. Enough said!
- Great side for all your spring / summer BBQ needs. Asparagus is only really in season during this time of the year, so it’s time to use them up!
- Healthy and nutritious. Asparagus is low in calories, and has many different types of nutrients – fiber, folate, and many vitamins!
Pro Tips For The Best Grilled Asparagus
A couple of pro tips will help you get the most out of your grilled asparagus.
- Use thick asparagus stalks if youre cooking on grates. Avoid using thinner stalks if youre grilling the asparagus directly on the grill grates. This will prevent the spears from falling through into the fire!
- Avoid over flipping the asparagus. Avoid over flipping the spears or foil packet. If youre cooking on grates, over flipping can compromise the char marks. If youre steaming the asparagus in the foil packet, youll increase the odds of tearing the foil.
- Play around with different seasonings. This is a great baseline recipe, but feel free to tweak it with your favorite seasonings. Tack on some freshly cracked black pepper Add a squeeze of lemon juice or balsamic vinegar right after they come off the grill.
Hot Tip: Dont want to fire up the grill? Use a grill pan on your stove top instead.
Recommended Reading: How To Season Ribs For Grill
Ingredients For Grilled Asparagus
Heres what youll need to have at the ready before you make this grilled asparagus.
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
To prepare the asparagus, wash the stalks well and trim the woody ends. The best way to determine where to trim is by bending the end of the asparagus until it snaps. That breaking point is where the tender portion begins.
How Do You Trim Asparagus
The thicker bottom of asparagus stalks tends to be tough and woody, and isnt great to eat. The best way to figure out where to trim your asparagus is to take a stalk and gently bend it. Wherever the stalk snaps is the spot where the tender part starts and the tough part ends. From there, you can line up all your asparagus stalks and trim the bottom off in the same spot as where your original piece of asparagus snapped in half.
Recommended Reading: How Do You Clean The Barbecue Grill
Try Bacon Wrapped Asparagus:
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus is a yummy twist on Grilled Asparagus in Foil. Everything is better when it is wrapped in bacon. Instead of placing the asparagus in foil, you place it in a grill basket for an unbelievable smoke taste asparagus.
The bacon comes out crispy and the asparagus seasoned perfect with BBQ sauce. It is a great way to enjoy our favorite vegetable. We also like to drizzle it with balsamic glaze because it is my favorite marinade.
How To Grill New York Strip Steak
Grilling New York strip is a fun way to cook this naturally tender steak without having to first sear it and finish it in the oven. Heres how its done:
Step 1: Season the strip steaks with oil, salt, and pepper on both sides. Stir the crushed garlic and melted butter together in a bowl, then brush the garlic butter on both sides of the steak.
Step 2: Place the seasoned, room temperature steaks on a hot grill. Grill for a few minutes on both sides until cooked to your desired doneness .
Pro tip: Steaks thinner than 1 inch will only need to be flipped once. Thicker steaks should be flipped 3 or 4 times to avoid charring the outside too much.
Step 3: Transfer the grilled steaks to a foil-lined baking sheet. Let them rest while you focus on the asparagus in foil.
Don’t Miss: How To Clean Bbq Grill Pan
Grilled Asparagus In Foil
Grilled Asparagus in Foil is a magical little recipe you will find yourself making again and again. It’s the EASIEST way to grill asparagus and is simply a fail-proof way to enjoy this classic vegetable.
If you are curious how to grill asparagus in foil, I’ve got you covered from start to finish with just four simple ingredients.
I love grilling with foil! I’ve shared Foil Packet Fish, Salmon in Foil with Rainbow Veggies, Grilled Shrimp in Foil, Cheesy Foil Packet Potatoes over the years… but today I’m diving into grilling vegetables in foil! It’s such an easy to way to cook and I love that the clean up is minimal.
I simply love that I can prep these packets ahead of time and when it’s time for dinner they go on the grill with no fuss. This Grilled Asparagus in Foil is simply one of the BEST ways to make asparagus! It’s also vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, low carb, keto, and vegetarian!
How To Grill Asparagus:
Grilling asparagus is so simple and doesn’t take much time. Start with a bundle of asparagus and lay it on the foil. Foil is a must for this recipe since the asparagus can easily fall through the grill rack.
It also helps to keep all the flavors on the asparagus while grilling. Start by tossing your asparagus with oil.
- Tip: You can use any oil you like but for this recipe, I used olive oil.
You May Like: How Long Does It Take To Grill Chicken Breasts
How To Grill Asparagus In Foil With Other Vegetables
If you want to add other veggies to your foil packet with asparagus, you most certainly can do that. Chop up your veggies and season them as you typically would, then place them in the foil on top of the asparagus stalks and seal the foil closed.
Grill your asparagus and veg foil packs for 1-20 mins on the hot grill till the vegetables are tender.
Making Grilled Asparagus In A Foil Packet
If you prefer a softer, steamed asparagus stalk with no char marks, this method is for you.
- Trim the Asparagus: First, cut or snap off the rough ends of the asparagus stalks.
- Season the Asparagus: Next, place the asparagus stalks in the center of a large piece of aluminum foil and season them with oil or butter and garlic parsley salt. Fold the two longer sides of the foil together and tightly seal them together. Then, fold the ends into themselves, sealing tightly so the oil isnt able to seep out.
- Grill the Asparagus Packet: Grill the asparagus packet for 15-20 minutes depending on your desired tenderness. Flip the packet it over with tongs halfway through cooking. Be ultra careful when removing and opening the foil packet, as it will be hot and full of steam!
Read Also: How To Roast Veggies On The Grill
How To Make It
This recipe is almost too good to be true. When you make this grilled side dish, it allows you time to focus on the other items on the grill, too. Youre going to love how easy this side dish recipe is!
Heat it up. Preheat grill to medium high heat.
Prep the foil. Place three 16 inch pieces heavy duty foil on a flat surface and form a bowl by crimping the sides up slightly.
Add the ingredients. Place the asparagus in the center of the foil and top with the butter, lemon slices, garlic cloves, basil, salt and pepper.
Assemble. Fold the foil over the asparagus and seal it completely on all sides.
Grill. Grill the asparagus foil packet for 15 minutes.
Check it. Carefully open the foil packet and check the asparagus for doneness. It should be firm, yet tender.
Enjoy! Sprinkle with cheese, if using, and serve immediately.
So, what are you going to serve with grilled asparagus in foil?
You already have the grill up and running, right? So why not make your entree something grilled and delicious! Here are just a few tasty ideas:
When Is Asparagus In Season
Wondering when the best time to make grilled asparagus in foil? Asparagus is usually in season from February to June with the peak being in April and May. That’s why it is often considered a spring vegetable. That’s usually when it will be the cheapest. However, most grocery stores are able to keep it in stock year-round.
Read Also: How To Make Bbq Ribs On The Grill
Recipe Tips And Substitutions
- This recipe calls for skinny asparagus , which makes the grilling time very quick. You can use any thickness of asparagus for the recipe, just be aware that the thicker it is, the longer the grilling time will be. Also, if the spears are thick, its a good idea to peel them.
- I use olive oil in this recipe to keep it light, but you can switch it out for melted butter if youd like.
- I love adding slices of of lemon to the asparagus because in the foil packet they become very soft and the flavor mellows. You can actually eat them without the overpowering sour flavor. That said, you can also opt to mix about 1½ tablespoons of lemon juice into the asparagus when you add the oil.
- Lime juice is also delicious with the asparagus if you want to switch it up.
Grilled Asparagus Topping Ideas
I like my grilled asparagus simple with a squeeze of lemon. But if youre looking for more ways to jazz up this simple green, try one of these ideas:
- Add browned butter and nuts, like in my recipe for Roasted Asparagus.
- Drizzle the grilled asparagus with balsamic vinegar then sprinkle with goat cheese and toasted pine nuts
- Top with smoky cooked bacon and Parmesan cheese
- Go Mediterranean style and top with feta cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and chopped kalamata olives
- Try it Asian style with ponzu sauce and toasted sesame seeds
Read Also: Can You Grill Beef Short Ribs
Lemon Grilled Asparagus In Foil
Grilled Asparagus in Foil has just a few ingredients and big delicious flavors. Its so easy to prepare and throw on the grill alongside your main course for outdoor spring and summer meals.
Its amazing how even wrapped in foil, this asparagus takes on a subtle smoky flavor from the grill.
That, combined with lemon makes for an absolutely fantastic side dish.
The fresh bright flavor is perfect for spring and summer.
Grilled Asparagus Flavor Variations
- Veggies: You can add other quick-cooking vegetables to these foil packets if youre looking for a little variety. I recommend trying sliced zucchini, diced red bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, yellow squash, thinly sliced red onions or even frozen corn kernels.
- Flavorings: Amp up the flavor by adding lemon zest, sun dried tomatoes, olives, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, cooked crumbled bacon, pine nuts or sliced almonds.
- Cheese: After the asparagus packets are cooked through, add a sprinkle of parmesan, feta or mozzarella cheese.
This grilled asparagus in foil is my go-to vegetable side dish when its hot out. If youre an asparagus fan, youll definitely want to give this one a try.
Recommended Reading: How To Clean Traeger Grill
How Does Color Affect Its Flavor
One incredible thing about most veggies is that they let you enjoy the taste, nutrition, and color.
Asparagus comes in green, white, and purple. Which one should you choose? Is there any difference between them in terms of nutritional value?
Well, it is still nutritious regardless of what color it has. However, there is a slight difference when it comes to flavor.
Green stalks have a somewhat grassy flavor, while the white ones are mild and a little bitter. Since it has 20 percent sugar, purple asparagus has a nuttier and slightly sweeter taste.
It contains Vitamins A and C as well as folic acid and fiber. The green one has additional potassium, calcium, and beta-carotene.
Seasoning Asparagus For Foil Grilling
You want to make sure to drizzle your asparagus with olive oil and season it with some salt and freshly ground black pepper.
You can use other seasonings of choice, such as chili flakes, garlic salt, garlic powder, a pinch of cumin, and any other spices that you like for asparagus.
You can also add some crushed garlic or garlic paste with dried herbs and some squeezed lemon juice if you enjoy that.
It would be best to add seasonings to your asparagus before grilling, so it cooks through and absorbs the flavor. You can do it afterward, but the taste will not be as potent, and the stalks will not absorb the spices creating a blended flavor.
Recommended Reading: What Is The Best Weber Gas Grill
How Long To Grill Asparagus
Now its time to put your foil pack on the grill. Preheat your grill to 400ºF. Place foil pack asparagus right on top of the flames and cook for around 20 minutes.
We prefer to grill out asparagus at a higher heat for a shorter amount of time. This is not only timely with most meats but also gives your asparagus a nice crunchy/char flavor. You can alternatively grill your asparagus on a top rack of your grill, not directly on the flame for a longer amount of time .
You know your asparagus is done cooking when you can easily pierce it with a fork. Be careful not to overcook as it may become mushy!
Serving And Storage Suggestions
You can store this in the fridge for a day or two and then reheat on the stove. However, I prefer making it fresh whenever possible since it just takes 25 minutes! If you’re looking for a quicker way to prepare asparagus, check out my five minute steamed asparagus!
If you like this recipe, don’t forget to try out my other spring recipes:
- Broccoli Pesto
- Spring Pasta with Peas and Oyster Mushrooms
- Roasted Oyster Mushrooms
Read Also: What Cheese To Use For Grilled Cheese
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 Nonstick foil makes for super easy clean-up and allows you to use less spray. If youre using regular foil, just lightly spray the side that will be the inside of the packet with canola oil cooking spray. Regardless of what brand you use, I recommend going for the heavy-duty stuff, as it will be less likely to rip or puncture on the grill.
- tip 2 Foil packets can be prepped ahead and refrigerated until ready to cook. They are perfect for grilling on a gas or charcoal grill, or even over a campfire!
How To Grill Asparagus In Foil With Protein
You can practically grill anything you want in foil. Emeril Lagasse, the famous American chef, talks about adding your proteins to foil packets with herbs and other spices and tossing them on the grill for the flavors to mingle and absorb into each other .
If you would like to grill meat or chicken with your asparagus in foil, you need to make sure your protein is cut into small enough sizes to cook through in the same timeframe as asparagus.
If your meat is too thick or your chicken pieces are too large, you will end up with overcooked asparagus or undercooked protein.
Every other step would remain the same. Ensure you season your protein well and add blobs of butter. Place the meat or chicken onto the asparagus stalks and seal the foil tight to trap the steam when grilling.
Don’t Miss: How Do You Clean Porcelain Grill Grates