Making The Perfect Pineapple Chicken On The Grill
Grilling chicken thighs and pineapple is pretty easy, but we do have a few tips and tricks:
- Use a high powered blender like a Blendtec or Vitamix to make the marinade. It helps to make the marinade smooth and creamy and stick to the chicken thighs.
- Get the chicken in the marinade before you start the grill or prep any other part of the recipe. By the time the grill is hot, youll be ready to go!
- You can save time by using pre-sliced canned pineapple. You can even use the juice from the can in the marinade!
- Pineapple sliced into rounds is best for grilling. Just place the rounds directly on the grill and carefully flip them with a spatula. Or, you could cut them into chunks and use a grill pan.
- Dont forget your side dish! Pre-make your rice or whip up a quick batch of cauliflower rice to serve with the BBQ chicken and pineapple.
What To Serve With Teriyaki Chicken
Of course, this Hawaiian Teriyaki Chicken is incredible on its own or with simple sides such as white rice or steamed vegetables, but it is also amazing when added to other dishes. Our favorite way to serve teriyaki chicken is as part of a plate lunch but you can also put it over salad or add it to a Hawaiian rice bowl. If you want to serve it more Panda Express style you can serve it with fried rice and/or lo mein noodles. You can also try it fusion style and slice it and serve it in a sandwich, or serve in a pasta like our Chicken Stir Fry Over Noddles. There are so many possibilities!
How To Make Perfect Hawaiian Bbq Chicken
Making grilled Hawaiian chicken BBQ is not easy, and some tips and tricks must be kept in mind for making the perfect Hawaiian chicken BBQ meal.
- Always take skinless breasts and thighs. Trust me, if you want the authentic taste, chicken with the skin wont give the desired flavor because the skin will not allow the spice blend and other ingredients to fully penetrate into the meat.
- Try to get a skinless chicken, if not, no need to worry about it you can also peel off the skin at home, all you need to do is make some fine cuts on some specific points and just pull it off.
- Flavored wood chips can double up the flavor of your BBQ dish. You can use Applewood chips, Cherrywood chips, Hickory wood chips , or oak wood chips.
- Lastly, always use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature to be sure that your meat is perfectly done.
- A great kitchen tip is to store your ginger into a plastic zipper bag it will stay fresh for a long time. Never store chopped or shredded ginger.
Also Check: Grilled Bone-in Pork Chops
Could I Make This Chicken As Kabobs
This is a great recipe to make as kabobs. Simply chop the chicken into pieces and marinate. When you are ready to cook, thread the chicken and fresh pineapple onto skewers. You can add other veggies if you wish, Red peppers and red onions are delicious. Then grill for 5-7 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of your chicken. Drizzle with sauce and serve.
Grilling Tool Must Haves
Meat Thermomotor is nice to have to check for the internal temperature of your grilled chicken legs. There are many meat thermomotors to choose from but, I love a digital one for the most accurate in reading temperature.
Metal Tongs should have a long handle to making flipping and turning easier and it will keep arms and hands away from heat.
Silicone Gloves or Mitts should be heat resistance and long enough to protect hands and lower parts of the arms from burns and heat.
Grill Brush should be sturdy and strong. A wire grill brush is used to clean the grill between use.
Basting Brush that are nice to use are silicone and great for spreading sauces and Mirandes. I like to have a couple different sizes of basting brushes.
Also Check: Where To Buy Broilmaster Gas Grills
Can I Make Extra Sauce For Rice
Yes, if youd like some sauce to pair with a side of white rice then you can make 1 1/2 the chicken kebab marinade recipe then reserve 1/3 of it for topping. Thicken it with a teaspoon or two of cornstarch mixed with equal parts water in a saucepan, bring to a simmer.
You can never have too much sauce, right?
Honey Chipotle Grillin’ Beans
Really, it is no different than adding something sweet like molasses or brown sugar. But in this case, the pineapple doesn’t add crazy-sweetness but it adds texture. And it’s that texture that really adds a whole new dimension of flavor I think you will really love! Combine all of that with the sweet and smoky flavor of grilled pineapple and you are gonna elevate your Memorial Day BBQ to the next level!
Recommended Reading: What Is The Best Bbq Grill On The Market
How To Serve Grilled Pineapple Chicken
This dish is very versatile and there are many different ways to serve it. Here are the ones I make the most often.
- Serve it as the main dish with grilled vegetables and rice on the side.
- Grab some lettuce wraps and chop the chicken and pineapple into bite-sized. Serve everything wrapped up in lettuce with extra sauce drizzled on top.
- Make sandwiches! Grab your favorite rolls, layer on the grilled pineapple, lettuce, sprouts, and an extra spread of barbecue sauce.
- This makes a great protein source for a delicious green salad. Add chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, sprouts, corn, black beans, and use the sauce as the dressing. You can also stir the barbecue sauce into ranch dressing and top everything with a barbecue ranch dressing.
How To Cook Hawaiian Chicken On The Stove
- Grease an indoor grill pan or heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, remove chicken from marinade and let excess marinade drip off. Add chicken and cook, undisturbed for 4-5 minutes, or until nicely browned on one side.
- Turn chicken over and cook an addition 4-5 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 -175 F.
You May Like: Where Do I Find Weber Grill Model Number
How To Make Huli Huli Chicken
The Hawaiians were on to something with this tender, sweet and spicy chicken! The flavors are just divine, and its insanely easy to prepare and grill. Heres how you make it:
Make the Marinade: Whisk together the pineapple juice, soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, garlic, ginger, and sesame oil.
Place the chicken thighs in a large bowl or in a resealable bag and pour the marinade over top, making sure everything is coated. Leave the chicken to marinate in the fridge .
Grill: To ensure an even cook on your chicken, remove it from the fridge about half an hour before you plan to grill it. Grill the chicken on each side until its cooked through. You can grill the pineapple slices at the same time they caramelize beautifully and are great to serve with huli huli chicken!
Ingredients In Grilled Hawaiian Barbecue Chicken
This recipe has so many fresh flavors from the fruits and veggies that you combine with your chicken. Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the recipe car for exact measurements.
- Chicken Breasts: I like to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe.
- BBQ Sauce: I like to make my own BBQ sauce using this recipe. But if you are going for store bought then Sweet Baby Rays is my favorite!
- Pineapple Slices: Dont drain your pineapple slices, keep the juice!
- Soy Sauce: This adds a great zing of flavor to the sauce.
- Garlic: I used minced garlic in this recipe.
- Vegetables: You can use whatever vegetables that you like but I love pairing red bell pepper, zucchini, and green onions with the pineapple.
Recommended Reading: How To Clean Grill Grease Off Concrete
More Grilled Chicken Recipes:
Grilled Cajun Chicken and Pineapple Foil Packets EASY, tasty, ready in 15 minutes, HEALTHY, and since its made in a foil pack on the grill, theres ZERO cleanup!! Perfect for easy-breezy summer meals!!
Grilled Sriracha Lime Chicken EASY, ready in 10 minutes, and the chicken is SPICY, tender, and juicy!! Put this HEALTHY chicken recipe on your summer menu when you want to kick things up a notch!!
Grilled Lime Cilantro Chicken EASY, ready in 10 minutes, and the chicken is so TENDER, juicy, and full of Mexican-inspired flavor!! Put this HEALTHY chicken recipe on your summer menu rotation and itll be a hit with everyone!!
Spicy Garlic Grilled Chicken An EASY homemade marinade made with everyday ingredients that produces super FLAVORFUL, juicy chicken!! If youre looking for a NEW marinade to jazz up grilled chicken, this is the one!!
Grilled Lemon Chicken EASY, ready in 10 minutes, and the chicken is so TENDER, juicy, and full of LEMON flavor!! With grilled broccoli on the side, this is a HEALTHY recipe perfect for swimsuit season that tastes AMAZING!!
Sweet Chili Grilled Chicken Tender, juicy, and full of flavor from the sweet chili sauce! Easy, healthy, ready in 10 minutes, zero cleanup, perfect for backyard barbecues or easy weeknight dinners!
Foil Pack Barbecue Chicken Ready in 15 minutes and such an easy way to enjoy barbecue chicken on the grill! A delish and healthy meal made in a foil pack with zero cleanup!
How Long Do You Grill Chicken Thighs
Youll want to grill your chicken thighs for about 6-7 minutes per side, depending on the size and thickness of your chicken pieces. If youre not sure if your chicken is cooked through, use a meat thermometer to check the temperature. The temperature of the thickest part of the chicken should be at least 165 degrees F.
Pineapple and coconut is a wonderfully popular flavor combination, and I took this one step further by serving this Hawaiian chicken on a bed of coconut rice. Youre going to cook your rice as usual, except instead of water the rice simmers in coconut milk. I add a touch of brown sugar at the end, it doesnt make the rice sweet at all, it just enhances the flavor of the coconut.
Also Check: Where To Buy Char Broil Grills
Grilled Hawaiian Bbq Chicken Recipe
This Grilled Hawaiian BBQ Chicken is the perfect combination of sweet, tangy and smoky.This grilled chicken is perfect for summer BBQ’s and family dinners.
Summer is quickly approaching, which means it is time to get outside and grill. This Grilled Hawaiian BBQ Chicken recipe is simple to make and is great for summer BBQ’s and weeknight dinners. The flavor of this chicken is great and not spicy making it great for kids and toddlers.
This chicken is great on its own, or can be added to a rice bowl, salad, or even to a wrap. This chicken recipe also has a short marinade time making a great for busy weeknight dinners.
Do I Have To Use Smoked Cheese
I know smoke flavored cheeses are hit or miss for a lot of people so if you dont enjoy that smoky flavor to your cheese, just use the regular Jarlsberg cheese.
I personally love how the smoky flavor balances the sweet ham and pineapple in the stuffing but the classic Jarlsberg would be just as good!
Also Check: What To Use To Clean Bbq Grill
How To Cook Hawaiin Chicken In The Crockpot
- Lightly grease crockpot with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add chicken and all of the marinade/sauce.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours or until chicken is tender enough to shred.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board to shred. Meanwhile, strain any excess liquid from the slow cooker into a small saucepan. Whisk 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water and whisk into saucepan.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Return shredded chicken to slow cooker and toss with thickened sauce. Cook an additional 20-30 minutes on LOW to allow the chicken to absorb even more flavor.
Make Ahead And Freezing Instructions:
To Make Ahead: This meal can be prepped ahead of time by chopping all of the vegetables, making the teriyaki sauce, and marinating the chicken.
To Freeze: The chicken and teriyaki sauce may be frozen. Freeze chicken in a freezer-safe bag and remove excess air to prevent freezer burn. Freeze teriyaki sauce in an ice cube tray then move to a freezer-safe bag for convenient portion sizes. Freeze chicken and teriyaki sauce for up to 3 months. Let thaw in refrigerator before using.
Read Also: What Are The Best Pellet Grills
What Is The Nutrition Information For This Pineapple And Chicken Recipe
There is no reason for healthy eating to be boring or tasteless. This grilled pineapple chicken is actually a very healthy food choice. Each serving of this delicious grilled chicken and pineapples has just about 350 calories, 15 carbs, 7 grams of saturated fat, and 100 milligrams of cholesterol.
On the good side, this delicious dish also provides 12 milligrams of Vitamin C, 345 units of vitamin A, 25 grams of protein, 1 gram of polyunsaturated fat, and 1 gram of monounsaturated fat, and 2 grams of fiber.
Can I Cook Foil Packets In The Oven
Yes! You can actually cook this grilled Hawaiian barbeque chicken in your oven if you prefer that or dont have a grill to use!
- Pre-heat oven to 400F and make your packets. Make sure to seal the foil around all ot the ingredients nice and tight. Bake for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. The internal temperature of cooked chicken is 165 degreed Fahrenheit.
You May Like: How To Clean Grill Mats
Sweet And Tangy Hawaiian Chicken Recipe With Only 10 Minutes Of Prep
This quick and easy Hawaiian chicken recipe will whisk you and your taste buds away to the tropics! Its a simple marinate-and-cook recipe that elevates pantry staples to your own juicy, sweet and tangy paradisiacal oasisimbued with exotic flavors. To make this Hawaiian chicken recipe, simply whisk together pineapple juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, Asian sweet chili sauce, ginger and garlic, marinate then grill thats it! Zero dishes, zero cleanup and prep ahead friendly for an easy weeknight dinner thats delicious enough for company and entertaining. This Hawaiian chicken is sensational with grilled pineapple and cilantro lime rice or in salads, sandwiches, wraps and even tacos!
What To Serve With Grilled Pineapple Chicken
This is the perfect recipe for family dinners, weekend barbeques, and potlucks! There are countless ways you can serve your grilled chicken:
- Serve huli huli chicken with grilled pineapple over plain rice or coconut rice with sauteed veggies. You can even try it with Fried Rice!
- Pair it with grilled vegetables, such as zucchini, peppers, or corn on the cob.
- Enjoy this chicken at a summertime cookout alongside a Potato Salad or Quinoa Salad, or a fresh Fruit Salad.
- Spice things up with some fun and easy appetizers, like Crispy Crab Balls, Garlic Pull-Apart Bread, Pigs In a Blanket, or a side of cheesy Beach Bread.
Also Check: How To Make Juicy Burgers On The Grill
How Do You Make Hawaiian Chicken
This recipe is all about the marinade its a combination of soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, sesame oil and coconut milk. I am a huge fan of marinades, mostly because theyre so easy to put together the night before your meat will flavor itself as you go about your day and then can be simply cooked at dinner time without a lot of extra fanfare. You can cook this chicken on an outdoor grill or inside on a grill pan.
I really prefer to use chicken thighs for this dish because theyre less likely to dry out on the grill and they have a richer flavor. If youre not a fan of chicken thighs, you can use chicken breasts or chicken breast tenders instead.
Easy Hawaiian Chicken Recipe
Dont you think anything that includes Hawaiian as part of the name, automatically takes it up 5 notches? Ive read about people selling everything they own, relocating to Hawaii and working 2 or 3 jobs just so they can live there. Have you ever been? I have, once. And I get it.
The islands are filled with the freshest, best tasting fruit and incredible chicken barbecue. But since most of us cant just hop over to Maui, Im sharing our Hawaiian Chicken recipe that can be prepared at home. Its so easy and will make you feel like youre at a Hawaiian luau.
You May Like: How Long Do You Grill Shrimp
How To Store And Reheat Hawaiian Chicken
- Storage: cooked Hawaiian chicken can stay fresh in the fridge for 3-5 days but should be frozen beyond that.
- Microwave: reheat for 60 seconds then at 20 second intervals.
- Skillet: heat a drizzle of oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add chicken with a splash of water, cover, and heat until warmed through, flipping occasionally.
- Oven: transfer chicken to an oven-proof dish. Cover with foil and reheat at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes or just until warmed through.
What Side Goes With Grilled Hawaiian Chicken
Choose side dishes to complement the light, fruity flavor of the chicken without overwhelming it.
We always do a side of grilled corn because its amazing and I think corn on the cob should be eaten as often as possible! Some other suggestions are, broccoli, rice, Hawaiian bread, and fruit.
I would definitely use the chicken thighs over breasts, they are far more flavorful, and definitely take the time to let it marinate. You. Are. Welcome.
You May Like: Camp Chef Sidekick Grill Accessory