Optional Toppings For Salmon
Now that you know how to grill salmon, you can enjoy it on its own or try one of these toppings if you want to take it up a notch:
- Hollandaise sauce This creamy sauce is buttery and citrusy and not just for brunch! This one is made easy in the blender.
- Creamy Avocado Salsa Youll get your dose of healthy fats with this creamy salsa. Its a fresh and zesty topping.
- Pesto Sauce Pesto is delicious on everything. Drizzle a bit on the salmon and finish it with a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Lemon Garlic Aioli Serve a dollop of this garlicky aioli over the salmon if you love lemon and garlic.
- Lemon Butter Sauce For Fish If you prefer a lemon butter sauce, this one is made for fish. Super easy, too.
How To Season Salmon For Grilling
For moist, juicy and tender salmon, use the following grilled salmon marinade.
- Olive oil. It seals in the juice and moisture inside the salmon.
- Minced garlic rids potential fishy smell.
- Herbs such as Italian basil and parsley. Both herbs impart an earthy aroma to the fish.
- Lemon juice.
- Salt and ground black pepper.
You can also use my homemade dry rub to rub the spice blends onto the fish before grilling. The end result will be equally delicious.
How To Grill Salmon Perfectly
Knowing how to Grill Salmon or Grill Fish for that matter can be an intimidating thing. I know the first couple of times I made it I was nervous and wasnt sure if I start skin side up or down? Do I spray the grates or grill on foil? Do I flip it or not? So many questions to avoid that dreaded fish massacre on the grill.;
I know there are tons of recipes out there for grilled salmon. But I wanted to teach how you to grill salmon confidently every single time so you dont have to worry about it sticking to the grill or whether its done or not. As long as you know the basics Im teaching you today you can add sauces, dry rubs or whatever you want to spice up the flavor.
Recommended Reading: What Is The Largest Traeger Grill
What Is Salmon In Foil
Salmon in foil is essentially a large-scale version of;salmon en papillote, or salmon steamed in a parchment paper packet but in foil!;;This classically French method of cooking salmon in a packet boasts many benefits which make for an easy summer meal: the fish is super easy to grill, cooks evenly, and cleanup is a breeze, just to name a few.; Here are more reasons to love salmon in foil:
To Make The Best Grilled Salmon In Foil Start By Selecting The Best Fish
- Use a fresh salmon fillet, about 3 pounds.;Look for salmon that is bright pink in color, smells fresh but not fishy, and, if possible, is wild caught.; I prefer wild caught salmon because it has richer flavor,;but;if you want milder flavor, than farm-raised Atlantic salmon might be the way to go. ;Atlantic salmon can cook up watery or mushy due to the artificial diet but I have had success with farm raised salmon from Costco, they seem to have higher quality suppliers.;
- Do I grill salmon in foil with the skin on or off?; For Grilled Salmon in Foil, you want the skin off.; The skin wont get crispy because the fish is being steamed on the grill and we dont need the foil to hold the fish together because the foil does that for us.; Sometimes it can be hard to tell if the salmon fillet at the store has skin on or off, so make sure to inspect or just ask the seafood counter to remove the skin for you.
Recommended Reading: How Long To Grill Beer Can Chicken
The Best Temperature For Baking Salmon
Heres how I determined what temperature is best for baking salmon.
- Generally when Im making individual pieces of salmon I turn my oven to 400 degrees F or 425 degrees F. Its the temperature youll find used for this Whole30 Salmon, Soy Ginger Salmon, and Balsamic Salmon. The smaller portions cook quickly and can stand a higher temperature.
- HOWEVER, I tried making a large side of baked salmon in foil at 400 degrees F and found that temperature a bit too aggressive.
- For my next round, I did baked salmon in foil at 350 degrees F. It took longer than Id hoped and didnt come out *as* moist as I knew it could be.
- The final winner: 375 degrees F for a 2-pound side of salmon.
- The baking time will vary based upon the size and thickness of your salmon. For example, I like to try to buy wild-caught salmon, which in our store usually means sockeye or coho based on inventory. These varieties are thinner and thus cook more quickly.
- If you are using farm-raised salmon , your side will likely be thicker and need more time.
Want To Make Salmon Packets With Vegetables
This grilled salmon in foil recipe can easily be made into individual salmon foil packets with veggies.; Before marinating, slice the raw salmon into individual fillets and make a packet for each person, plan on 1-2 fillets per pouch. Make sure to leave room for some veggies.
Lightly grease the foil, add the salmon fillet, then pour the marinade over top.; Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes before adding the butter and veggies of choice. You will want to use quick cooking vegetables such zucchini, summer squash, asparagus, or cherry tomatoes. Avoid longer cooking vegetables such as carrots, broccoli or potatoes unless you par-boil or steam them first. Seal up the foil packet and grill per recipe instructions.;
Recommended Reading: Don Juan’s Mexican Grill
Ingredients Youll Need For This Grilled Salmon:
I told you, this is a basics recipe so youll need minimal ingredients to make this salmon.;
- Salmon Fillet: I like to buy a salmon fillet with skin on and then cut my own portions but to make it easier you can buy them pre-cut. Either way make sure they have skin on.
- Tasteless Oil: Oils that are tasteless and can handle high heat are key. Avocado oil is what I normally use but peanut oil, grapeseed oil or vegetable oil would do.
- Salt & Pepper: These are must to anything you make.
- Grilling Utensils: I love using my fish spatula or tongs to flip so I dont break the salmon up when I flip.
Tips For Grilled Salmon
- This marinade can be made up to 3 days before you plan to use it. Simply store the marinade in the fridge until youre ready to add your salmon.
- You can use other types of seafood in this marinade such as halibut, swordfish, shrimp and scallops.
- You can use the marinade to flavor small salmon fillets, or try marinating a larger side of salmon. If youre planning to cook a large piece of salmon, Id recommend cooking it in foil since it will be difficult to flip on the grill.
- I typically grill my salmon outdoors when the weather is nice, and indoors on a non stick grill pan on cold days. Either way will work just fine!
Don’t Miss: Who Sells Cuisinart Gas Grills
Exact Answer: 10 To 15 Minutes
Grilled salmon is a popular dish that is consumed widely during the summers. Generally, it takes around 10-15 minutes to grill a salmon. The time can be more or less depending on the method used to grill the salmon.
The requirements of ingredients for making a grilled salmon are pretty basic. The perfect technique and adequate time are the two important aspects when it comes to making a delicious grilled salmon. The time must not be cut down when grilling a salmon, it will only reduce its taste.
The salmon which is used for making the grilled salmon is also crucial in determining the taste of the grilled salmon. The fish bought must be fresh and not too old to make sure that the salmon grilled is perfect.
Setting the flame right is also of importance when grilling a salmon. If the flame is set on too high it will not reduce the time for cooking the salmon but instead burn the salmon and make its taste bad.
The grill must be preheated before placing the salmon on it. Using charcoal will provide the salmon with an extra smoky and natural taste. Electric grills are also popular for grilling salmon. But it is recommended to use charcoal for grilling salmon for a nice flavor.
Make Sure Salmon Is Coated With Oil
It may be intuitive to coat your grill grates with oil, but its actually not necessary and much more effective to have your fish covered in oil instead.
The salmon marinade I use has plenty of oil and is perfect for this purpose, but if youre not marinating, be sure to coat your fish generously in oil before grilling.
You May Like: How Long To Grill Chicken
About This Grilled Salmon Recipe
This Grilled Salmon in Foil is a happy accident.;; I was going to make grilled salmon directly on the grill, but my husband accidently purchased skinless salmon, so I quickly came up with this recipe.; And honestly, I have never sunk my teeth into more tender, moist salmon in my life.; Part of that is the butter bath that drenches the salmon as it cooks, and part of it is the trapped moisture in the foil that makes for the juiciest salmon of your life.
As far as the flavor profile, I was inspired by my Cajun Honey Mustard Chicken with only rave reviews.; There are tons of garlic butter salmon recipes out there, and you certainly make this recipe with my version , but the Cajun Honey Mustard is intoxicating. Its a marriage of paprika, garlic, cayenne forward Cajun seasonings with honey mustard sauce spiked with orange juice and soy sauce.;;Its sweet, tangy, full of flavor and one of the most rewarding recipes of the season.
Lastly, what truly elevates this recipe is that its dotted with cubes of Danish Creamery butter before being sealed and grilled.; The butter melts as the salmon cooks, mingling with marinade and creating a drool worthy decadent, buttery sauce youll want to drink. Spoon this self-made butter sauce over the grilled salmon and drool.
Helpful Facts For Grilled Salmon In Foil
Is it safe to grill fish in aluminum foil?
We ingest a small amount of aluminum every day through food, water and/or medication. However, the aluminum content of food and medication isnt considered to be a problem because the body can only actually absorb a small amount.; Grilling fish in foil can increase the amount of aluminum in your food, however, the amounts are very small and likely insignificant, and deemed safe by researchers.
Can I cook grilled salmon in the oven?
Yes! Simply prepare the recipe per instructions and place on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven to 400ºF for 10-15 minutes for 1-inch salmon and 15-20 minutes for 1 1/2-inch salmon.
Does salmon cook faster in foil?
The purpose of grilling salmon in foil is to create a steam trap to create super moist salmon.; It doesnt necessarily cook faster, but it does cook more evenly, retains more moisture, keeps the grill clean and makes it more flavorful as the marinade seeps back into the fish as it cooks.
Will aluminum foil burn on the grill?
Nope!; It may char against the grill grates but you can safely use it on the grill without worrying about it burning.
Do you poke holes in foil when grilling?
No, please dont! Please take care when handling the foil packet that you dont accidently;poke;a hole in the;foil, otherwise the marinade and the juices will seep out and youll be left with a mess and less juicy salmon.
Do I have to rinse my salmon first?How much salmon does one fillet serve?Do you eat salmon skin?
Recommended Reading: Where Can I Buy Weber Grill Parts
What To Season Grilled Salmon With
The awesome thing about this recipe is it is literally just the basics. This salmon is a blank canvas for you to top with whatever your little heart desires. Here are a few of my favorite ways to top it, everything from spice rubs to salsas or sauces.
- Lemon Garlic Butter Sauce
- Fresh Herbs like rosemary, thyme or dill
- Homemade Spice Rubs This post uses them for chicken but Ive definitely used the Lemon Pepper Rub on my salmon before. The other ones are Mediterranean, Buffalo or a Smoky Chipotle. YUM!
Grilled Salmon In Foil: Behind The Recipe
Grilling is practically a year-round thing at our house. Early Spring until late Fall, youll find John flipping burgers, chops, steakswell, just about anything, reallyat least two or three times a week. ;
Lately, weve been adding this salmon recipeto our regular grilling rotation. Whats surprising about that is for the longest time John believed he didnt even like salmon. Until we tried this delicious grilled salmon recipe!
Thats a big win for me because I love salmon. Now my hubbys the one who suggests we pick up salmon for the grill. You know what they say, happy wife, happy life! We first made this recipe over two years ago and my family whole-heartedly agrees that this truly is the BEST salmon theyve ever eaten.
I seriously cant even count how many times weve used this recipe to grill salmon. The marinade is so flavorful, the salmon is tender and flaky, and clean up is a breeze. This recipe is always a winner with our crowd and has become one of our go-to options because it is SO easy and SO tasty!
Your shares are how this site grows and I appreciate each one. Do you know someone who would enjoy this recipe? Id love it if you would share it on;;or on your favorite;;board!
First Published: November 27, 2015.
Read Also: What Is The Best Outdoor Grill
How Prep Salmon For The Grill
For even cooking, you’ll want to let the salmon come to room temperature for 20 minutes before grilling.
Set the salmon on a paper towel-lined pan and pat dry. A dry surface speeds up the searing process and prevents sticking. If it’s marinated, blot off as much marinade as possible before grilling.
Right before placing it on the grill, lightly rub the salmon with olive oil on both sides, and sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Always season fish just before grilling to avoid moisture loss and flare-ups.
Grilled Salmon In Foil Is Foolproof It Creates Tender Juicy Salmon Dripping With Buttery Flavor With Only Minutes Of Prep And Almost Zero Cleanup
Grilled Salmon in Foil couldnt be any easier or more delicious, making it a perfect weeknight meal or impressive enough to serve guests. This easy tutorial on How to Grill Salmon in Foil eliminates all of the guesswork and delivers gloriously juicy salmon every time. First, the salmon is marinated in a tangy,;sweet and spicyCajun honey mustard marinade, then topped with cubed Danish Creamery Butter,sealed in foil, then grilled until flaky tender in about 15 minutes. As the salmon cooks, the foil seals in extra flavor and moisture and the butter melts, creating a self basting buttery bath,guaranteeing boldly flavored, beautifully moist and tender salmon with slightly smoky undertones; no flipping the salmon and no worrying about it sticking! Ive included all the best tips for how to know when salmon is finished cooking, what temperature to cook salmon to, what to serve with salmon, and more!;Finish off this effortless grilled salmon dinner with a side of;watermelon feta salad and loaded potato salad for the perfect summer meal.
Don’t Miss: How Long To Grill Shrimp
Heat Clean And Grease The Grill
- Heat the grill to 375 degrees F with the lid closed.
- Once the grill is fully heated,;clean it thoroughly with a wire grill brush.; Its easiest to remove old food after the grill is super-hot and the old bits of food start to char and crumble. A clean grill ensures direct contact with the foil which prevents sticking.
How To Bake Salmon
Baking salmon is convenient because its hands-off and theres very little mess or smell. This technique is not only great for fillets, but also larger pieces of salmon. Heres what you do. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil. Place the salmon skin-side down on the baking sheet and crimp all four sides of the foil to create a border around the salmon: this will help collect the juices so they dont spread and burn. If youd like, you can place lemon slices on the salmon, brush the surface with Dijon mustard or season the flesh with your favorite spices at this point. Bake until the outside is opaque and slightly firm to the touch and the inside flakes easily. Insert a small paring knife between layers to check; the color will vary from bright pink to pale pink to orange .
The Best Baked Salmon
This simple baked salmon really hits all the right notes: tangy, sweet, savory, a little spicy and crunchy.
You May Like: Where Are Memphis Grills Made
How To Marinate Salmon
It isnt necessary to marinate salmon before grilling it, but doing so can impart extra flavor and moisture to your finished fish. And you dont have to let your salmon marinate for long just 10 minutes will do. Make a simple marinade from a fat and acid in a 3:1 ratio, then add salt and an aromatic. We love Ina Gartens Asian Grilled Salmon, which has hundreds of five-star reviews and leans on a marinade made from olive oil , Dijon mustard , soy sauce and garlic . Drizzle the marinade on the salmon while you preheat the grill.