Tilapia With Black Bean And Avocado Relish
For a different kind of grilled tilapia, try pairing the fish instead with the black bean and avocado relish featured in this recipe from Pass the Sushi. Both black beans and avocados evoke a Mexican vibe in the dish and can help temper the spices used to season the fish. This relish tastes like a hearty guacamole and is so delicious you wont even miss richer Mexican meals. Purchase fresh avocados a few days in advance since most avocados sold in the store are sold before they are ripe enough to cook with.
Descale And Gut The Tilapia
Sometimes, the grocery store prepares the tilapia for cooking when you purchase it, but other times, they do not. If the fish isn’t prepared yet, you must descale and cut it. But if it is, you can go ahead and skip this step. “Tips for descaling is just make sure you do it very slowly, perhaps wear gloves, and hold the fish up to the light to see if there are any glass-like looking scales left,” Olayinka says. Once you’re finished with that, pat the fish so that it is very dry.
How To Make Grilled Tilapia
Allow the tilapia to come to room temperature, and then pat the fish dry with a paper towel
Rub the tilapia with the olive oil, and then prepare the seasonings
Mix the smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and ground pepper in a small bowl, and then sprinkle and pat it onto the fish
Grill the tilapia on indirect heat on your grill for 4 minutes, or until it starts to release from the grates
Flip and cook for another 3-4 minutes, or until it is cooked through and the internal temp is around 135 Fahrenheit
Rest the fish for 5 minutes and then serve
You May Like: What’s The Best Gas Grill For The Money
Other Fish Dishes Youll Love
I didnt used to love seafood, but once I moved to Seattle and got access to the best and tastiest fish, shrimp, clams and more, I simply fell in love. Here are some of my favorite seafood dishes:
- Perfect Air Fryer Salmon If you havent made fish in the air fryer yet, you are totally missing out. The air fryer makes a super crispy crust and a moist inside.
- Creamy Shrimp Scampi I love eating shrimp pasta during the summertime. The creamy sauce is elevated by white wine and freshly grated parmesan.
- Smoked Oysters Oysters are so amazing in the Pacific Northwest and I have grown to love them so much. This miso butter brings out the best flavors of this coveted shellfish.
- Grilled Halibut Looking for another mild flavored fish to throw on the grill? This 4 ingredient recipe is ready in minutes!
Grilled Tilapia With Smoked Paprika
Tilapia is a very mild type of fish and doesnt have much flavor by itself. This makes it the perfect canvas to add any mixture of spices and seasonings you want. This recipe from Allrecipes features smoked paprika front and center. This powdered spice adds both delicious smoky flavor and a deep rich red coloring to the grilled fish. This makes it striking both to the palate and on the plate.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Bubba Burgers On Grill
Grilled Tilapia Fillets Recipe
How to Grill Tilapia Fillets
Grilled Creamy Parmesan Tilapia
Cheese isnt one of the first ingredients you think of being associated with fish, but the sharp tangy taste of Parmesan goes well with mild flaky tilapia in this recipe from Spend with Pennies. To add some extra flavor, try using fresh grated Parmesan instead of the pre-packaged stuff. Wrapping the fish in foil also helps keep it nice and moist while its grilling. Serve with fresh grilled vegetables and a salad to help cut the richness of the cheese in this fish dish.
Read Also: Marinade For Chicken Thighs Grilled
How To Grill Lemon Pepper Tilapia:
- Prepare Foil Tear the foil into 6 equal pieces for each tilapia filet.
- Add Tilapia Place a tilapia filet on each piece of foil.
- Prepare Grill Preheat the outdoor grill over medium high heat .
- Season Tilapia in Foil Drizzle the olive oil over each filet and sprinkle each one with approximately ½ tsp Lemon Pepper Seasoning. You can also use cooking spray.
- Prepare the Foil Fold up the sides and the top of the foil to make a foil pack.
- Grill Tilapia in Foil Place directly on the grill for 8-10 minutes until the tilapia reaches an internal temperature for 145 degrees F.
- Serve and Enjoy Be careful when unwrapping the foil packets and then the tilapia is ready to enjoy. Season with salt and black pepper and serve.
Indonesian Spicy Grilled Tilapia
If you want a grilled tilapia dish that is more on the fiery side, this Indonesian spicy grilled tilapia from Daily Cooking Quest is your best bet. If you want to adjust the amount of heat and spice in this dish, you can either reduce the number of chilies, remove all the seeds from the chilies before cooking, or even substitute in a more mild type of pepper to bring the temperature down. Serve with cold leafy greens to provide a contrast to the hot spicy fish.
You May Like: What Is The Best Pellet Grill On The Market
How To Bake Fish In A Foil Packet In The Oven:
Cooking fish in foil and placing in the oven is easy to do. Baking fish in foil allows the fresh to have a steaming texture it turns out moist and very flavorful. You can add in potatoes or other vegetables to the foil pack.
This makes for a complete dinner all right in the foil.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and place the foil pack on a baking sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
How To Make Fish In Foil On The Grill
This method really could not be easier, and it works with any fish, veggie, and seasoning combos of your choice.
Note: In the instructions I have used specific measurements of the seasonings, but this is a recipe thats pretty easy to eye ball! Sprinkle the veggies and fish generously on both sides with salt, pepper, and the seasonings of your choice, and youll be good to go!
You May Like: How To Clean Your Grill
How To Grill Tilapia
To start the recipe, you will want to make a simple marinade. In a zip-top bag, I combined garlic, salt, olive oil, and lemon juice, then I added my tilapia. The fish doesnt need much time to marinate only 30 minutes. Tilapia is delicate, so you dont want to marinate it for too long as the acidity will start to break it down.
Spray an outdoor grill or grill pan with non-stick cooking spray and set the heat to medium-high.
Place the tilapia on the grill and grill for about 4 minutes per side. You will know the fish is done with it flakes easily with a fork.
Carefully remove the fish and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Grilled Tilapia With Sweet Lemon Butter
For another lemon-heavy tilapia recipe, this grilled tilapia from George Foreman combines spices, lemon juice, and brown sugar with plenty of butter to help infuse the fish with sweet and salty goodness. Use a high-quality Irish butter like Kerrygold to elevate the meal since these kinds of butter have a high fat content to make up for the lean texture of the fish.
Tilapia may be seen as a sort of boring protein to work with for home chefs that arent familiar with cooking it, but this white fish is actually one of the most versatile staples you can work with at home. Grilled fish cooks up quickly, can be seasoned with practically any combination of herbs and spices imaginable, and requires very little in the way of preparation if you buy pre-processed tilapia filets. If youre struggling to add healthier options to your meals at home, try some of the listed grilled tilapia recipes to expand your roster of light and healthy meals. Whether youre looking for a spicy fish recipe to keep you warm during cold winter months or a quickly grilled entree for a summer cookout, youre sure to find something you like.
Don’t Miss: How Much Do Big Green Egg Grills Cost
Grilled Tilapia Is Budget And Family Friendly:
I love that we can enjoy fish and not spend a fortune. Since tilapia is reasonable to purchase, you can enjoy this often even if you have a large family.
It is so nice to be able to enjoy a really healthy and delicious meal that only took a few minutes to prepare. Plus, tilapia is very budget friendly.
Add a few easy side dishes and dinner is ready. You dont have to spend a ton of time cooking or a ton of money for your family to enjoy a really tasty meal.
Blackened Tilapia With Pineapple Salsa
Blackening spice is a common spice mix used with grilled fish to give it a peppery and spicy flavor. To help cut the heat in the blackening spice, this tilapia recipe from Chelseas Messy Apron dresses the fish with a fresh pineapple salsa. The combination of heat and sweetness pairs well with the flaky tilapia and will convert even hardcore fish haters. This recipe is very fast to prepare and cook.
Recommended Reading: How To Clean Hamilton Beach Indoor Grill
Grilled Tilapia In Foil:
Grilled Tilapia in Foil is an quick and easy way to make this flavorful fish anytime of the week. It is the perfect fish to grill in foil to hold in all the flavor. This recipe only requires 3 simple ingredients.
Grilling fish in a foil pack makes for an easy clean up also. When we are preparing meals in foil, I also like to make my side dishes on the grill in foil packs.
When we make the Tilapia in foil, it prevents it from overcooking and keeps it from drying out. Grilled Tilapia Recipe is one of familys favorite seafood dish.
You might also like our Steak and Potatoes Foil Packs Recipe.
It’s Lemon And Greens Time
It’s time to cut your lemon in half. Using only half of the lemon, cut it into slices to use for cooking. At this time, you can also cut the green onions in half. Next, put the lemon slices, onions, and dill into the cavity of the fish. You’ll use about half for each of the fish so they’re evenly divided. This combination of ingredients is so incredibly simple, but it makes the tilapia taste super tasty and fresh trust us on this one.
Recommended Reading: Who Sells Green Egg Grills
Cooking Tilapia In Foil
Cooking tilapia in foil is the best method when you are cooking fillets. You can use the same exact recipe of seasoning and stuffing the fish with lemon and butter. I also like to add a few pieces of lemon and butter on top for good measure. Wrap the tilapia in foil and grill for about 5 minutes on each side. While you wont get the same crispy outer layer, the fish will be moist and juicy on the inside.
You will not have the same crispy outside later but it will be moist and juicy.
More Fish Seasoning Ideas
Want to use a different seasoning? Weve got lots of options. Here are a few tasty ways to mix up this grilled tilapia:
- Blackened or Cajun seasoning: Try 2 tablespoons of our Blackened seasoning or Cajun seasoning to bring a Cajun flair. The Cajun is hot, the Blackened seasoning is mild.
- Fajita or Taco seasoning: Go for a Mexican flair by using Fajita Seasoning or Taco Seasoning.
Recommended Reading: How Long To Grill Boneless Pork Chops
How To Ensure You Grill Your Tilapia Perfectly
The only problem with cooking on a grill, no matter whether it is meat or fish, is that it can be pretty tricky to know precisely when the fish is done.
While you can always use instant-read thermometers, fish like tilapia are so small and thin that it can be really difficult to get any kind of accurate reading on a thermometer.
Plus, any time wasted dithering around trying to decide if you should flip it or whether or not it is done can cause it to become overcooked incredibly quickly due to how hot the grill is.
Instead, just use your eyes and trust the grill! So long as you adequately grease the grill with a little bit of oil before you put your fish on it, and it is preheated enough, the fish should release from the grill when it is ready to be flipped.
You can sort of feel around with your spatula, poking underneath it a little bit until you can see that it is releasing and no longer sticking. If you try and flip it earlier, then it will just break apart and fall into the gaps in the grates and get burned.
Once you flip it, give the other side of the fish a gentle poke with your finger so that you can get a baseline for the fishs texture.
Give it a few minutes on the grill, and then poke it again, comparing the firmness of the flesh with how firm it was the first time you poked it.
When cooked, it should not only start to release from the grill on the other side, but the flesh should be slightly springy yet have a gentle firmness to it.
More About Grilled Tilapia With Marinate Recipes
GRILLED TILAPIA RECIPE
- Mix olive oil, lemon pepper, cumin, paprika, dried mustard, and garlic powder together in a small bowl. Brush each tilapia fillet with mixture using a pastry brush. Flip brush the other side. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Spray a large piece of foil with cooking spray and place on the grill. Transfer tilapia onto the foil.
- Cook fillets on the preheated grill until they’re easily flaked with a fork, about 5 minutes per side. Serve.
SPICY MARINATED GRILLED TILAPIA – THESTAYATHOMECHEF.COM
FromCategoryEstimated Reading Time
- Combing the olive oil, lime juice, chili powder, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Place the fish in a shallow dish . Pour the marinade over the fish. Sprinkle the jalapeno and cilantro over it and let it marinate for about 20 minutes.
- Grill over medium high heat for about 5 minutes per side. Actual cooking time will depend on the thickness of your fillet. The fish is done when it can easily be flaked with a fork.
PERFECTLY MARINATED GRILLED TILAPIA FISH RECIPE – YOUTUBE
10 BEST GRILLED TILAPIA RECIPES | YUMMLY
EASY GRILLED TILAPIA RECIPE WITH BASIL AIOLI – LEMONS FOR LULU
HOW TO MARINATE TILAPIA | LIVESTRONG
GRILLED TILAPIA RECIPE – FOOD FANATIC
5 OF THE ABSOLUTELY BEST WAYS YOU CAN MARINADE AND
Recommended Reading: Are Weber Genesis Grills Made In Usa
How To Grill Tilapia In Foil:
- Place Tilapia in Foil Tear the foil into 6 equal pieces for each tilapia filet. Place a tilapia filet on each piece of foil.
- Prepare Gas Grill Preheat the grill over medium high heat . Make sure to oil the grill grates before adding the tilapia foil packs to the grill.
- Season the Tilapia Drizzle the olive oil over each filet and sprinkle each one with approximately ½ tsp Lemon Pepper Seasoning.
- Wrap Tilapia in Foil Close each Tilapia in foil tightly.
- Cook Tilapia Place directly on the grill for 8-10 minutes until the tilapia reaches an internal temperature for 145 degrees F. Make sure to flip Tilapia and cook about 8 minutes per side.
- Serve and Enjoy Be careful when unwrapping the foil packets and then the tilapia is ready to enjoy.
How Do I Know When My Grilled Tilapia Is Done
You will know that your fish is done cooking when it is nicely showing all of the signs of doneness including grill lines and a golden color on the outside, easy to flake apart with a fork, and the internal temperature has reached 145 degrees F.
Aside from shrimp recipes, tilapia is the only other fish or seafood that I eat. I love salmon, especially with greens as with this Bourbon Glazed Salmon Salad, and I devour this Southern Fried Catfish Recipe. Youre also going to love these Salmon Tacos with Jalapeno Cream.
Also Check: What To Make With Grilled Chicken Breast