Why Make This Grilled Chicken Salad
If these photos dont immediately convince you that you need to make this grilled chicken salad recipe, here are a few more reasons why!
- High protein: 42g protein per serving makes this salad a great healthy lunch or dinner!
- Fresh: this salad packs in fresh fruits and veggies and there truly isnt anything better.
- Healthy Fats: our homemade honey mustard dressing is made with full-fat Greek yogurt and the slivered almonds add a nice touch, too.
- Balanced: youve got your protein, healthy fats, fruit, and veggies all in one meal! YES!
Simple Oil And Vinegar Dressing
Sometimes you want the ingredients to really shine in your salad, like the grilled chicken and corn here, so you don’t need a powerful dressing. A simple mix of vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, garlic and seasoning is all you need. You can of course use any dressing you want as long as it will go well the flavors here.
What To Serve With This Pasta Salad
This pasta salad goes well with just about anything! You can of course serve it as a side salad to accompany any of the following meals:
The options are endless with this salad. You can add in marinated artichokes, fire roasted peppers, goats cheese instead of feta, arugula or spinach instead of or with the lettuce, etc!
You May Like: What Is The Best Bbq Grill To Buy
How To Make The Salad
Make the marinade/vinaigrette first. Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, dijon, maple syrup, olive oil, salt and pepper. Take 3 tablespoons of it and add it to a freezer bag, refrigerate the remaining for the salad.
Add the chicken breasts along with the dried spices, salt and pepper to the freezer bag. Seal it and massage everything into the chicken. Let it marinate for 1-4 hours.
Once the chicken has marinated remove it from the bag and place it on preheated grill grates. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the chicken breasts. The internal temperature should be 165° F. when they are cooked through. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before slicing it.
While the chicken is grilling, add the peaches to the grill. Theyll only need a few minutes to cook. Let them cool before adding them to the salad so the lettuce doesnt wilt. If you didnt quarter them before grilling, youll want to do that.
For the salad, you can either leave the butter lettuce leaves whole or tear them into more bite sized pieces. Top the lettuce with slices of cucumber, avocado, chicken, peaches, and feta.
Sprinkle on chopped or torn basil leaves and then either top the salad with the vinaigrette or serve it on the side. If you dont plan to eat all of the salad that day, I suggest serving it on the side.
Tips For Grilling Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts:
- Grill the chicken over medium heat. Lower and slower will produce a juicier chicken breast.
- Pound your whole chicken breasts to an even thickness with a meat mallet so that it will cook evenly.
- Brush with sauce as you cook, turning the meat about 3 times during the cooking process.
- Use a meat thermometer to test doneness of the chicken so that you don’t over cook it.
- Allow the chicken to rest 5 minutes before serving.
Salads are a great way to please picky eaters, everyone can make their own and pick their favorites. I made these salads with the classic, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, avocados and a mix of spring greens.
Apples, strawberries, red onion, radishes, carrots and sweet peppers would also be great. Just pick your favorites or use what you have on hand.
Add a little more crunch with croutons or toasted pecans, almonds, or walnuts. Another one of my favorite salads is this Asian Chicken Cranberry Salad and we’ve been making this Mandarin Orange Chicken Salad for lunch.
We have already started planning our garden for this year. I always get so busy in the summer and dealing with all of the fresh produce can be overwhelming. The garden fresh tomatoes are so worth it every bit of effort that we put into it.
Last year we grew a lot of varieties of tomatoes and the heirlooms were my favorite. They grow a little slower and do not produce as many tomatoes so I want to do a few more of those plants this year.
Don’t Miss: How Much Are Diamond Grills
Does This Work With Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
Yes! This method works well with boneless skinless chicken thighs, but with thighs you dont need to pound them thin first since theyre already pretty thin to begin with.
Just season the thighs with salt and pepper and cook them according to the recipe instructions. Theyll require a significantly shorter cooking time, usually 3 to 6 minutes per side, so keep a close eye on them to make sure theyre not overcooking.
Chicken Ranch Salad Faqs
Can I make the grilled chicken salad ahead of time?
Many of the steps to making this salad can be done ahead of time. The chicken can be marinated for up to 12 hours . Bring the chicken to room temperature before grilling. Grilled chicken has the best flavor straight off the grill, but you could even grill the chicken ahead of time and store in the fridge until ready to assemble the salad! You can also wash and chop all the veggies ahead of time and store covered in the fridge.However, dont slice the avocado ahead of time , and add the salad dressing when assembling the salad so your greens dont wilt.
What makes a good grilled chicken salad dressing?
Can I use leftover chicken for the salad?
Yes! Freshly grilled chicken for salad works best, but you can use leftover sliced chicken if you prefer. It will be delicious with the flavors of this easy summer salad recipe.
Is this recipe keto?
Yes! My grilled chicken salad recipe is perfect for a keto meal plan with only 11 carbs for a full meal.
Recommended Reading: How Long To Cook Pork Chops Grill
Grilled Chicken Salad Flavor Variations
This salad is great as-is, but you can absolutely add other ingredients to make it your own.
- Protein: Instead of chicken, try grilled steak, salmon or shrimp.
- Greens: Swap out the romaine for spinach or a mixed greens blend. Kale will also work just fine.
- Vegetables: You can absolutely add other vegetables to the mix, some suggestions included grilled veggies such as asparagus, zucchini or bell peppers. Marinated artichoke hearts are also a nice addition.
- Cheese: Skip the blue cheese and try crumbled feta or a sharp aged white cheddar instead.
This grilled chicken salad just screams summer you simply cant go wrong with the combination of smoky chicken, fresh greens and plenty of toppings!
Whats In This Grilled Chicken Salad
- Salad greens: the great thing about most FFF salads, is that you can choose whatever greens you like best. We chose Spring lettuce, but field greens, spinach, or arugula are great options.
- Grilled chicken: youll need about 1 lb. of grilled chicken or 2 large chicken breasts.
- Gorgonzola cheese: gorgonzola adds such great flavor to this salad! Not a huge fan? Try blue, goat, or even white cheddar.
- Apples: apples add crunch and a sweet flavor this really compliments the rest of the savory flavors.
- Blueberries: I love adding blueberries to salads because theyre not too sweet, yet they add so much flavor.
- Slivered almonds: what is a salad without a nut? Option to use whole almonds and chop them into smaller pieces.
- Bacon: because why not add bacon? Follow our tutorial on how to cook bacon in the oven or microwave bacon for the easiest way to cook your bacon.
- Homemade honey mustard: once you make this dressing, youll never go back to store-bought!
Don’t Miss: How To Grill Frozen Salmon
Why This Recipe Works
- Packed with protein so it keeps you full longer! Makes a great healthy lunch or dinner.
- Easy meal prep! Double the recipe so you have lunches all week long.
- So easy to make it your own. Pick your favorite vegetables and pile them on. You could even serve it for company with a build your own salad bar!
How Long To Grill Chicken
A typical 4 ounce boneless skinless chicken breast will need to grill for 4-5 minutes per side. If your chicken breasts are larger or smaller, you will need to adjust the cooking time accordingly. You can also make this recipe with boneless skinless chicken thighs, which will cook for 6-7 minutes per side.
Don’t Miss: How Wood Pellet Grills Work
Grill Chicken And Assemble Salad
After you chicken is marinaded its time to grill it and make your salad!
Remove the chicken from the refrigerator. Take chicken out of marinade and place on a plate. Discard marinade.
Heat grill to medium high or 375 degrees F.
Place chicken on grill grates and cook on each side for 4 minutes. Turn grill to low and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F. Use an Instant Read Meat Thermometer to make sure you cook it to the right temperature. This makes so much difference!
Remove chicken from grill and allow to rest while you prepare the salad. The temperature of the chicken will raise the 5 degrees during resting to get to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F which is recommended by the USDA.
Cut lettuce and any toppings you like. Slice chicken and layer on salad with favorite toppings. Serve with your favorite salad dressing.
Chicken Salad Recipes Tips
- Pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness before marinating to ensure even cooking.
- Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness. Chicken should be cooked to 165°F to ensure doneness. Dont over-cook it!
- Allow grilled chicken to rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
- Customize your salad by using your favorite salad veggies and salad greens. Add-ins like crumbled cheese, nuts, croutons, or seeds are great additions! I like sunflower seeds for salad.
- Always use a meat thermometer and follow the perfect chicken temperature on my Chicken Temperature Chart!
Recommended Reading: Where To Buy Fuego Grills
How Do You Make A Chicken Caesar Salad
Tear 1 large cos or romaine lettuce into large pieces and put in a large bowl. Pull chicken into bite-size strips and scatter half over the leaves, along with half the croutons. Add most of the dressing and toss with your fingers. Scatter the rest of the chicken and croutons, then drizzle with the remaining dressing.
How To Make Salad With Grilled Chicken
Recommended Reading: How To Convert Natural Gas Grill To Propane Weber
The Perfect Pasta Salad Recipe
Being a cold pasta salad makes it perfect for summer. It can be made up to a day in advance, leaving the avocado and tomato until ready to serve to keep them as fresh as possible. You can leave out some of the ingredients if you wish, or make it completely your own and add whatever you like!
This salad is extremely versatile and a forgiving recipe.
How To Cook Moist Chicken Breasts For Salads And Sandwiches
1. Start with completely defrosted chicken breasts. Never try to cook half-frozen breasts on the stove.
They wont cook evenly all the way through, and thats how you end up with raw insides and over-cooked outsides. Plus, if your meat is still frozen, its going to make the next step nearly impossible
2. Pound your chicken breasts to an even thickness. This is the secret to tender, moist chicken breasts! Meat that is all the same thickness is all going to cook at the same rate, so you arent going to get parts that are over-cooked and dried out.
Place your chicken breast smooth-side up between two layers of plastic wrap or in a large disposable plastic bag and go to town. Start with the thickest part of the meat and strike it, working outward until the breast is the same thickness all over.
3. Marinate or season your chicken breast before it goes on the heat. If youre marinating, nows the time for it. If the chicken is not being marinated, at the very least, salt and pepper that thing before putting it on the heat.
Even better, get creative and sprinkle on some of your favorite spices. Is it going in a Mexican salad? Use some taco seasoning. An Italian sandwich? A little basil and oregano would be perfection.
If at any time your chicken starts to brown too much, turn down the heat a bit and let it cook at a lower temperature.
Don’t Miss: How Do I Grill Shrimp
Grilled Chicken Salad With Roasted Chickpeas And Tahini
- Category: Salads
I wrote this recipe shortly after coming back from Israel, when halva and tahini and all things sesame were on my mind. Hence, this dressing that I built the salad around. My best advice on what to do with leftover dressing? Eat it straight! Even though admittedly its kind of strange to eat dressing. But its that good.
4 cups mixed arugula and mesclun greens
34 radishes, sliced
croutons, for garnish
1/2 cup thinly sliced red pepper sticks
How To Grill Peaches
You can either halve or quarter the peaches for this salad. Its best to use ripe, but not overly ripe peaches when grilling or they may fall apart on the grill.
Read Also: How To Make The Best Grilled Cheese
More Salad Dressing Ideas
Not a fan of honey mustard? Try one of our other homemade dressings below!
Creamy Green Goddess Dressing This Creamy Green Goddess Dressing recipe is made with a Greek yogurt base, tons of fresh herbs, anti-inflammatory spices, and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Avocado Cilantro Lime Dressing Our avo cilantro lime dressing is fresh, tangy, and a A+ choice to keep in your fridge at all times!
Best Balsamic Dressing Simple yet oh so flavorful, this aint no basic balsamic dressing. Made with real ingredients, and the perfect companion to any salad. Make this dressing today!
Homemade Poppyseed Dressing Try our poppy seed dressing recipe. Its made with olive oil, lemon juice, a little Greek yogurt, poppy seeds, and honey.
More of our Favorite
Ingredients For Chicken And Peach Salad
Butter Lettuce I love the soft delicate taste and texture for this salad.
Chicken Chicken breasts or thighs can be used.
Balsamic Vinegar Sweeter than most vinegars. Its used in the marinade/vinaigrette. Balsamic vinegar pairs great with peaches.
Maple Syrup Used to sweeten the marinade/vinaigrette. You can use honey as an alternative.
Dijon Mustard Acts as an emulsifier for the vinaigrette and adds a tangy flavor.
Olive Oil Another emulsifier in the vinaigrette. It will also help to tenderize the chicken as it marinates.
Garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika Flavorful dried spices used to enhance the flavor of the chicken. Season the chicken with them before adding the marinade.
Peaches Look for peaches that have smooth unblemished skin. They shouldnt have any green on them, but rather be golden yellow with a reddish blush color. If your peaches arent ripe, put them in a paper bag and let them ripen on the counter for 2-3 days.
Persian Cucumbers Smaller and more narrow that regular cucumbers. Theyre extra crisp, have very few seeds and you dont need to peel them.
Avocado Creamy, mild in flavor, and a good source of healthy fat.
Basil Fresh basil pairs beautifully with peaches and balsamic vinaigrette.
Feta Feta is crumbly and holds up well in this salad. I love the contrasting saltiness paired with the sweet peaches.
Also Check: Where To Buy Old Smokey Grill
Mexican Grilled Chicken Salad
Our Mexican Grilled Chicken Salad is truly a feast for all five senses. Its an aromatic, crunchy, and colorful dinner option that is perfect for spring and summer cooking.
Finished with a simple 2-ingredient spicy tomato ranch dressing, this grilled chicken salad is at the very top of my shortlist right now.
How To Cook Perfect Chicken Breasts For Salads And Sandwiches
Quick and easy instructions for cooking perfectly juicy and tender chicken breasts for salads and sandwiches.
Boneless skinless chicken breasts are a great cut of meat. Theyre lean, healthy, versatile, but they can be surprisingly tricky to cook.
If youve ever struggled with cooking chicken breasts on the stove, maybe your chicken always comes out dry or the outside burns before the inside is cooked through, friend, this is the recipe for you.
Cooking the perfect chicken breasts on the stove is actually really, really simple.
You just need the right tools and the right method, and your chicken will come out juicy, moist, and perfectly cooked every single time.
Recommended Reading: Whole Chicken On Grill How Long
How To Grill Chicken For Salad:
- Preheat your grill. It needs to be over medium high heat .
- Mix together the seasonings. Combine the chicken seasonings together in a small bowl. Brush the chicken breasts with olive oil and sprinkle the seasonings on each chicken breast.
- Grill the chicken. Place the chicken directly on the grill grates and grill the chicken for 3 to 5 minutes on each side. You do not have to use a grill pan unless you want to. The chicken needs to reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Allow the chicken to rest. Move the chicken to a separate plate to rest for at least 5 minutes.