How Do You Keep Zucchini From Going Bad
To store zucchini in the fridge, keep the squash whole, dry and unwashed. Store them in a plastic or paper bag with one end open to encourage air circulation, and pop them in the refrigerator crisper drawer. Theyll keep there for 1 to 2 weeks, though youll probably see the skin start to shrivel over time.
What Is A Summer Squash
Youre likely used to hearing two terms: summer squash and zucchini. Zucchini gets a bit more recognition and for good reason, theyre the most flavorful and easy to cook summer squash in my opinion.
Summer squash is actually technically in the fruit family, called a pepo, or a fleshy fruit with many seeds thats enclosed in a hard or firm rind. Cucumbers, melons, and squash are all a part of this category!
While there are many types of summer squash, not all are suited to the same cooking styles. You can ready more about the common types of summer squash varieties here, but know that for this grilled summer squash recipe, I recommend green or yellow zucchini, yellow squash, cousa, or zephyr squash.
Angel Hair Pasta With Zucchini And Tomatoes
Angel Hair Pasta with Zucchini and Tomatoes combines spiralized zucchini with pasta, a great way to lighten a pasta dish!
Angel hair pasta tossed with summer zucchini and tomatoes fresh from the garden. The perfect meatless meal youll be craving again and again. Serve this with plenty of Parmigiano Reggiano!
I love combining spiralized zucchini with pasta, its a great way to lighten a pasta dish, and youre still getting real pasta which I often crave when I am eating zoodles alone.
This recipe is a dish I often whip up in the summer and its great because it takes less than 20 minutes to make. For those on gluten-free diets, use brown rice pasta instead. I love this simple weeknight meatless dish, if you wish to add protein, this would be great with shrimp or chicken!
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Bacon On The Grill
Can Zucchini Be Sliced Ahead Of Time
Absolutely. You can prep your zucchini and squash ahead of time. Just make sure you cover them with a damp paper towel or cloth. This will help them from drying out. Then place in the fridge until you are ready to use the vegetables.
That being said, this is a really fast dish to throw together so you really shouldnt need to slice in advance.
Make Lemon Parmesan Zucchini Recipe In The Oven
Read Also: What Is The Best Gas Grille
Variations On Seasoning For Grilled Squash
Yellow summer squash and zucchini work well with Italian and Mediterranean seasonings, but theres no reason not to change it up. Here are a few other seasonings that would work well.
Important: Keep in mind many of these blends have salt included. Use ¼ teaspoon of the salt below, then sprinkle with the seasoning.
- Fajita or taco seasoning: Make them into a taco filling! Try purchased or homemade Fajita Seasoning or Taco Seasoning.
- Cajun seasoning: Add pizzazz, and maybe a little heat! Try purchased or homemade Cajun seasoning or Blackened Seasoning .
- Old Bay: Mix it up and add everyones favorite, Old Bay!
How To Make Roasted Summer Squash & Zucchini
Find the full printable recipe below.
Slice the squash and zucchini and place on a lined baking tray.
Toss with olive oil and season with sea salt and black pepper.
Roast until tender and starting to turn golden.
Crumble goats cheese over the still hot rounds, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve.
Don’t Miss: Where Are Memphis Grills Made
Variations: Try These Seasoning Blends
There are lots of ways to season grilled zucchini and squash! While theyre perfect with Mediterranean or Italian seasonings, there are lots of ways to think outside the box. These are especially nice if youre making a meal in the style of another cuisine. Here are some ideas:
- Cajun grilled zucchini and squash: Toss them with about 1 tablespoon Cajun Seasoning or Blackened Seasoning.
- Mexican-style zucchini and squash: Add 1 tablespoon Taco Seasoning or Fajita Seasoning.
- Ranch grilled zucchini and squash: Toss with 1 tablespoon Ranch Seasoning.
- Greek grilled zucchini and squash: Use 1 tablespoon Greek Seasoning.
What To Do With Leftover Zucchini
In hopes of using up all that squash, you may have gotten a little overzealous with the amount you grilled. If you have leftover grilled zucchini, repurpose it in some of these dishes!
- Chop it up and through it in an omelet, breakfast egg muffins, or a potato frittata.
- Add to pasta dishes, like Italian sausage pasta or easy baked pasta.
- Top pizzas or chickpea flatbread for a healthier pizza night.
Alternatively, check out the best gluten free zucchini recipes for more inspiration of using up that summer squash!
Recommended Reading: How To Charcoal Grill Chicken
Traeger Grilled Zucchini And Yellow Squash
Traeger Grilled Zucchini and Yellow Squash is one of these easiest and tastiest side dishes for summer. Grilled zucchini and squash are both seasoned with Spiceology Greek Freak. My favorite way to serve up summer vegetables.
You can serve it with fish. Serve it with chicken. Or serve it with wine. Whatever you serve this with, youre going to love it.
My family and I have been loving fresh summer squash and zucchini from our garden. With not even a few minutes of prep, we are ready to toss on the pellet grill and get to cooking.
Grill Your Side Dishes
Let’s face it, when you are grilling you don’t want to be running inside every few minutes to check on your side dishes. That’s why potato salad and coleslaw are such favorites when you are grilling.
But what about if you grilled your side dish?! It turns out, it’s easy and delicious!
I’ve been making this marinated zucchini and summer squash from Giada for years and years. It’s in her Family Dinners Cookbook which was published in 2006, so that’s how long I’ve been making it!
I love that it goes with everything, it’s the perfect side for chicken, pork, beef or seafood!
You May Like: How Long To Cook Salmon On Grill
Grilled Zucchini With Garlic And Herbs
This grilled zucchini is bathed in a flavorful garlic and herb marinade, then cooked to perfection on the grill. An easy side dish thats quick to make and always gets rave reviews!
I adore grilled vegetables, especially asparagus,;potato foil packets, and this amazingly delicious zucchini. Once youve tried zucchini on the grill, you wont want to cook it any other way.
When the warmer months roll around, I find myself eating zucchini and other summer squash on a regular basis. Zucchini is inexpensive, widely available and healthy too! My favorite way to eat zucchini is in this grilled zucchini recipe. Its so simple with ingredients you probably already have on hand, yet it tastes so delicious!
How Do You Cook Zucchini On A Weber Grill
First, take a zucchini and slice it into lengthwise sections, no more than a ¼ in thickness. Next, rub both sides of the zucchini slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and your choice of fresh herbs. Lastly, grill the zucchini over direct medium heat approximately 2 minutes a side, turning once.
Recommended Reading: How Do I Grill Chicken
How To Make The Best Grilled Zucchini And Squash
Joe and I bought our gas grill the day we created our wedding registry. It was early spring, and the grills had just come out and were on sale.
We knew we should wait for my bridal shower, but we just couldn’t be patient. We had visions of burgers and hot dogs and grilled zucchini and chicken breasts. We wanted to enjoy grilled food out on our deck as soon as the weather warmed up.
These days, we primarily grill hamburgers, chili burgers, hot dogs, chicken breasts, and veggies.
Oh, and kielbasa. I can’t forget kielbasa; Joe’s dad has worked at a world famous kielbasa shop on and off throughout his retirement. We grill a lot of kielbasa .
My mom grills all kinds of adventurous things – pineapple, peaches, corn, and stuff I’d never even think to put on the grill.
Who am I kidding? The only thing I’ve ever grilled was a pan full of pony beads for a craft.
I leave the food grilling to Joe 100% of the time.
Anyway, I love cookouts when everyone comes over and sits on the porch while Joe cooks yummy food over propane flames. It doesn’t really matter to me who’s doing the cooking or hosting the shindig, but cookouts are a good time all summer long.
Oh, to do that again. Maybe it wasn’t as amazing as I remember; I was only little. But still, I remember it fondly.
More Tips For Success
- Slice the zucchini uniformly.; A uniform thickness will help the zucchini and squash grill evenly.
- Slice the zucchini evenly.; If your zucchini isnt straight, then it wont lay straight on the grill and wont caramelize evenly.
- Lay the zucchini on the grill horizontally across the grates. ;You can also lay it on a slight bias for diagonal grill marks.; Either of these grilling directions will ensure the zucchini doesnt slip into the fire.
- Above all else, dont overcook!; Zucchini can be eaten raw so it doesnt need much by the way of cooking.; Cook just until crisp-tender and not tender-crisp.; When in doubt, pull the zucchini.; Slightly crunchier zucchini is better than soggy zucchini.
- Undercook the zucchini if using for leftovers.;If you are planning to reheat the zucchini in another recipe like pasta or rice, then slightly undercook it by a couple minutes, then cook it to the desired tenderness in the final dish.
- Use an indoor grill pan in the winter or if you dont have a grill.; This one works great.
Also Check: What Is The Best Indoor Smokeless Electric Grill
How Thick Should You Slice The Zucchini And Squash
I recommend slices around 1/2 inch thick and no thinner than 1/3 inch. If your slices are too thin theyll cook too quickly and may stick to the grill. Thicker slices will require more cook time. The most important thing is to try to keep your slices the same so everything cooks evenly and in the same amount of time.
Ways To Cut Zucchini And Squash For Grilling
How to cut zucchini and summer squash for grilling? There are a few ways we like to do it. Heres a little breakdown:
- Rounds.;You can slice the zucchini and squash into 1/2-inch thick rounds.
- On the bias .;If you cut diagonally or on the bias, you get larger, most interesting shapes.
- Planks.;You also can cut the vegetables width-wise into long planks: see this grilled zucchini.
Don’t Miss: How To Clean Dirty Bbq Grill
What To Serve With Zucchini
This grilled zucchini recipe can be served year-round because it can be made with squash in the winter AND you can use an indoor grill pan so the better question might be, what not to serve with zucchini?
- Need a side for your comfort food dinner?; Serve grilled zucchini and squash with;Beef Brisket,;Spice Rubbed Steaks,;Baked Pork Tenderloin,French Dips,;Chicken Cordon Bleu;or;Oven Fried Chicken.
How To Grill Squash
You can grill squash right on the grill grates: no grill basket or foil necessary! Its fast and easy: just cook them until theyre charred and tender. Here are the basic steps :
- Preheat a grill to medium high heat.;Thats about 375 to 450 degrees.
- Cut the squash on the bias .;Make the pieces about 3/4-inch thick.
- Toss with olive oil and seasonings.;The blend of Italian spices in the recipe below is perfect.
- Grill on the grates for 4 to 6 minutes.;Cook until charred and tender, turning once.
You May Like: How To Grill Frozen Shrimp
How To Serve Grilled Zucchini
Grilled zucchini goes with just about any summer meal, or even fall entrees if you still have plenty of zucchini moving into the fall months. Not only is it a great side dish, but grilled zucchini is perfect mixed into other recipes.
Here are some great ways to serve grilled zucchini:
- Cut up grilled zucchini and mix it with other grilled veggies for a grilled veggie salad.
- Make some bean-free zucchini hummus with grilled zucchini instead of roasted zucchini.
Perfect Grilled Zucchini Recipe
This simple grilled zucchini recipe is an essential summer side dish! Lightly charred and tender, these perfectly grilled zucchini wedges are great on their own, so you can stop there if you want. Grilled Zucchini Recipe IngredientsThis easy grilled zucchini recipe uses just a few ingredients, but its loaded with tangy flavor and lots of yummy textures. What to Serve with Grilled ZucchiniServe this grilled zucchini recipe as a side dish with whatever youre grilling! Try tossing leftover grilled zucchini into orzo or thinly slicing it and adding it to a grilled cheese sandwich.
Read Also: Are Weber Grills Ever On Sale
Can Dogs Eat Zucchini
Some vegetables, such as garlic and onions, are harmful to dogs, but zucchini is perfectly safe. Veterinarian Dr. Avi Blake even ranks zucchini as one of the best vegetables to feed dogs. Just because zucchini is safe, however, does not mean you should feed your dog excessive amounts of the vegetable.
How Can I Serve Grilled Zucchini And Squash
I could gobble up a whole plate of grilled squash since theyare so delicious.
You can also serve them with:
- barbecued meats
- roast chicken
- mix them with rice to make a salad or stir fry – for a grilled zucchini and squash marinade, see Stir Fry Seasoning for Chinese Stir Fry Vegetables.
- serve them cold with salad and add homemade ranch dressing.
- Freeze them for use later
- Add them grated to spaghetti sauce – I love sneaking in vegetables!
There are so many ways you can serve grilled squash – the options are endless.
I like to keep squash on hand because it’s so easy to grill. Just pull it out of the fridge, grill, and serve. I don’t think it gets much easier than that.;
Also Check: What To Grill This Weekend
How To Grill Zucchini
Grilled Zucchini!; If I had to pick one go-to vegetable for the grill I can never spell right the first time, it would be zucchini.; With minimal prep and a fast grill time, zucchini is a great vegetable for any meal.
My enjoyment of zucchini is strange seeing it is a member of the cucumber and melon family and neither cucumbers or melons rank high on my food like list.; Maybe if I grilled the melon…
While there are many different ways to prepare zucchini for the grill, I have a;preferred method:
- First, take a zucchini and slice it into lengthwise sections, no more than a ¼ in thickness.
- Next, rub both sides of the zucchini slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and your choice of fresh herbs;;
- Lastly, grill the zucchini over direct medium heat approximately 2 minutes a side, turning once.
And there you have it! Simple, delicious grilled zucchini;that pairs well with any one of our other meat recipes like Smoked Beer Can Chicken or Grilled Kabobs. Find more veggie;recipes;like this zucchini and summer squash;recipe and learn more about;mastering fruits & veggies. There are a ton of great;grilling tips & techniques in our blog so you can learn how to grill like a real grill master.
What Is In Spiceology Greek Freak
Basically magic. We use this stuff on soooo many things.;
Spiceologys Greek Freak is a unique spice blend. You will find you can taste onion, garlic, chili, orange, sundried tomato, and tons of earthy herbs. The spice blend can be used on meat both meat and vegetables. It is an all-purpose Mediterranean seasoning. If you like Greek food and flavors, I highly recommend buying this seasoning.
You can find a link to purchase this seasoning down in my recipe card. I recommend buying the big bottle. It is only a few dollars more than the home-sized version, and you wont regret it.
Read Also: How To Grill Ribeye Steak
Grilled Lemon Garlic Zucchini
Amazingly crisp-tender zucchini grilled with a lemon butter garlic sauce a side dish that will go well with anything! But for those of you who dont have zucchini readily available 365 days out of the year, its time to dust off that grill for these crisp-tender zucchini rounds. Now these zucchini rounds are first tossed in a lemon butter garlic sauce a sauce so good, you may want to double the sauce portion and serve some on the side with a spoon.
Grilled Lemon Garlic Zucchini Yield: 4 servings prep time: 10 minutes cook time: 10 minutes total time: 20 minutes Amazingly crisp-tender zucchini grilled with a lemon butter garlic sauce a side dish that will go well with anything! Grilled Lemon Garlic Zucchini 10 minutes 10 minutes Chungah Rhee Ingredients: 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted3 cloves garlic, minced1 teaspoon Italian seasoningJuice of 1 lemonKosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste2 medium zucchini, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves Directions: In a small bowl, whisk together butter, garlic, Italian seasoning and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper, to taste. .